HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers of Late

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Rangers of Late

havent posted in a while here, but have been watching almost every game. a few comments:
1. the malakhov and mironov pair is a joke. they are both so slow that when one of them screws up, the other one is to slow to help out.
2. the penalty kill is really crappyagain, i point to this malakhov and mironov pair...they both just sink in towards the net and let the other team's point men just cruise into the slot. they are way too slow for 5 on 5 and even slower on 5 on 4 where you have to be quicker.
so what to do about these two? the answer is not so difficult but sather is just too STUPID to figure it out. de vries and kasper are good together but leetch and poti are again two offensive dmen playing together. so, put malakhov with leetch and mironov with poti!!!! sather will never figure that out, and if he does, it will be too late in the season. go KNICKS! screw SATHER!

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-04-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old
01-02-2004, 05:51 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
At this point, I could care less if Malakhov never saw the ice as a Ranger again. In fact, that would be a major blessing. Im way too tired of him to even try putting him with Leetch. He's been horrible all year and doesnt deserve to even be in the lineup, let alone be on the top pair.

As for Mironov, he's had several stretches of very solid play, but I feel Malakhov has been bringing him down. The Russian experiment is long overdue; its obvious they dont mix. Im tired of Boris having to cover for Natasha's mistakes all the time. I'd actually try playing him with Leetch. Should be a good fit IMO. He's a stay-at-home type guy and has the ability to be very mean and physical.

My 3rd pairing would be Bouchard-Poti. Yea I know its two offensive defensemen playing together, but at least Poti wont be playing against top lines where his defensive weaknesses are exposed.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Why do you want to reward a player (Malakhov) who has been perhaps the worst player on the "team" for most of the season? (mind you that's just my opinion). If anything he should be sat out and not just for one game.

Alternatively, I would suggest
Leetch/Mironov
Poti/de Vries
Kaspar/Bouchard or whomever Sather can pull out of his hat.

Mind you, I'm not thrilled about breaking up the pair of de Vries and Kaspar, but there are just not that many combinations out there that make any sense given the players we have to work with. I also think that in order for a de Vries/Poti pair to work, Poti has to realize that a big part of his job is to take shots on net. That's something that he hasn't done nearly enough of all season and it was especially noticable early in the season when Leetch was out and he was paired with de Vries. Even now he has less shots on the season than Leetch and Mironov (and just one more than Malakhov). Poti also only has a total of 3 points on the PP--less than Malakhov and the same total as Mironov and both of them play much less on the PP than Poti does. He has to do better both at even strength and on the power play for the Rangers to be successful. He does very well in OT though :p

Old
01-02-2004, 07:48 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Why do you want to reward a player (Malakhov) who has been perhaps the worst player on the "team" for most of the season? (mind you that's just my opinion). If anything he should be sat out and not just for one game.

Alternatively, I would suggest
Leetch/Mironov
Poti/de Vries
Kaspar/Bouchard or whomever Sather can pull out of his hat.

Mind you, I'm not thrilled about breaking up the pair of de Vries and Kaspar, but there are just not that many combinations out there that make any sense given the players we have to work with. I also think that in order for a de Vries/Poti pair to work, Poti has to realize that a big part of his job is to take shots on net. That's something that he hasn't done nearly enough of all season and it was especially noticable early in the season when Leetch was out and he was paired with de Vries. Even now he has less shots on the season than Leetch and Mironov (and just one more than Malakhov). Poti also only has a total of 3 points on the PP--less than Malakhov and the same total as Mironov and both of them play much less on the PP than Poti does. He has to do better both at even strength and on the power play for the Rangers to be successful. He does very well in OT though :p
Malakhov has not been awful the whole season; he did go through a stretch where he was playing very solid defense. Lately he has been a great laibility on the ice. I don't know where this guy's head is sometimes, it looks like he just doesn't care at times. Call up Tyutin and bench Malakhov for two games.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
Malakhov has not been awful the whole season; he did go through a stretch where he was playing very solid defense. Lately he has been a great laibility on the ice. I don't know where this guy's head is sometimes, it looks like he just doesn't care at times. Call up Tyutin and bench Malakhov for two games.
Unfortunately, that's the way Malakhov has played for the last 10 years. He has a couple of periods during a season where he shows flashes of playing up to his ability and then loses it and plays like he has for the last 20+ games. He's a liability and he's been incapable of righting himself from this "inconsistancy" issue--especially since he's arrival here.

Malakhov had a world of talent when he came over here. He played great for the Isles when they made their inprobable run in 1993 and then never managed to hold on to that level. Teams have been waiting for him to break out and become one of the elite defensemen in the NHL. Now he's just another thirtysomethinghasbeenveteran playing for his retirement account.

But then again, he's a "proven playoff performer" and I'm sure he will raise the level of his play--once the Rangers actually make the playoffs. Too bad, Malakhov is--especially right now, during this lousy stretch he's in--one of the obstacles to the Rangers making the playoffs. Just my opinion of course.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
guess what!

looks like sather, or probably rather Renney, actually listened to me! mironov and malakhov were separated on the PK AND THE PP. now if they only separate them on the 5 on 5!

Old
01-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
looks like sather, or probably rather Renney, actually listened to me! mironov and malakhov were separated on the PK AND THE PP. now if they only separate them on the 5 on 5!
I think it was more the fact that the Rangers only played with 5 defensemen for almost the whole game. They did a rotation, so the pairs were mixed up quite frequently.

Wonder how hurt Poti is? They may need to call someone up if Bouchard can't play on Monday.

Closed Thread