HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.

Alaska teams in the NAHL

Old
07-22-2007, 06:46 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Alaska teams in the NAHL

What i don't get about the Alaska teams in the Southern division??? Can somebody answer that O yea and they added another Alaska team. Now there is Alaska Avalanche, Fairbanks Ice Dogs, and (the new team) Kenai River.

Who do u guys think is the best Alaska team??

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
Tornado OS

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Tornado OS
Its actually quite simple, why Alaska plays in the Southern Division. Its a lot easier to fly and cheaper to the Dallas Area and take a bus to the outlining teams than it is to fly to really rual areas of the other teams.

Tornado OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
That is a very good point

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 11:50 AM
wrapit

Alaska Hockey

Fairbanks would likely be considered the front runner based on last years performance. However, Avalanche has completely retooled and may surprise folks. Avalanche has decided to go with a big agressive team this year and has tendered and drafted players that fit the descripition. Kenai is uncertain. But odds are they will be 3rd of the three teams due the fact that this is their first year.

wrapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Spirithockeyphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapit View Post
Fairbanks would likely be considered the front runner based on last years performance. However, Avalanche has completely retooled and may surprise folks. Avalanche has decided to go with a big agressive team this year and has tendered and drafted players that fit the descripition. Kenai is uncertain. But odds are they will be 3rd of the three teams due the fact that this is their first year.
I would have to COMPLETELY disagree about the Avalanche.. this team/organization is an absolute joke. Last season they forced out an outstanding coaching staff (corey Millen and Dean Larson) only to bring in a dim-witted GM and his jokeshow sidekick enforcer from the ECHL.

This season they have hired an Alaska high school coach from the small schools division(which if you know alaskan hockey... you know the small schools division is very very weak). This guy is not only a snake, but has very little experience or knowledge of the game.

Also, this year they have attempted to put together a team of mostly all Alaskan players..no one else in the league tries to do this with all local boys, and for an alaskan team to try is asinine. If not for getting to play Kenai 15 times, this team would not get into double-digit wins this coming season.

I could go on for pages about how poorly the players were treated here last season, and its only going to be worse this year. I am no longer billeting because i will not support this regime

Spirithockeyphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:42 AM
Tornado OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapit View Post

The Southern Division is the toughest one in the NAHL. Texas and Texarkana will be tough like always, Topeka (Sante Fe last season) showed a lot of promise. The great thing about Junior Hockey is that anything can happen each year.

Old
07-25-2007, 12:50 AM
Spirithockeyphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado OS View Post
The Southern Division is the toughest one in the NAHL. Texas and Texarkana will be tough like always, Topeka (Sante Fe last season) showed a lot of promise. The great thing about Junior Hockey is that anything can happen each year.
TXK is no longer in the south... Kenai has replaced them.

Spirithockeyphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 03:10 AM
Tornado OS

Your right my bad.. been so busy with other things with the Tornado forgot that they were moved. Going to miss playing them. Besides I dont know what I was thinking. Texarkana moved to St. Louis.. I need to slap myself lol

Old
07-25-2007, 06:10 AM
wrapit

Spitithockeyphan,

Have heard several stories on last years coaches. For one coaches quit. Clearly did not have ownership support or the ultimatum they made would not have resulted in them leaving.

Have not heard any negative comments about how kids were treated last year. But did hearthat kids received no support form coaches in colleg recuriting. No bios, no contacts, no academic guidance. Do you know anything about this?

Trying to place "local' kids on teams is common really. It is just good PR business for the team. Many teams do it. Now, if there is not enough local talent I suppose that is a different story.

wrapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Tornado OS

Wrapit,
Not sure about the Wasillas team, but I know this year the Tornado are going to try something new about getting kids exposure to colleges. Ill have more information on that later. This is a huge project I am working on, I am hoping it will be very successful. Maybe other teams will look at this program and duplicate it.