HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

OT: Flyer Fans...Can I Get Some Input?

Old
07-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

vCash: 500
OT: Flyer Fans...Can I Get Some Input?

We're Florida Panther fans, with family in Philly. We're thinking about flying up for the Panthers/Flyers game in February. If we go, I want to wear my Panthers jersey (along with the kids). My husband says there's no way we wear our jerseys to your arena...my question is, would I get a lot of heat from typical Flyer fans if I wear my Panthers jersey?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:18 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Two words.

HELL YES.

I say strongly consider your husbands advice if you and the kids do not wish to get heckled by philly fans. We are the worst.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:18 PM
TehBBA

I think there will be more shock and amazement that Panthers fans actually exist.

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:21 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I'd rather wear nothing than another teams jersey in our building.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Amateur Hour

You'll get the typical boos and a bit of jeering from some of the loudmouths. I'd also expect you'll hear some "a$$hole" chants. Hopefully, you're in a section with more respectful fans who'll give you a bit of a hard time, but only jokingly. If you're with your kids, hopefully the ridiculing won't be as profane or vulgar. I'll be honest with you, the reputation the fans have here is well-deserved... there are PLENTY of jackasses who, for whatever reason, think they're hot shots and have the right to disrupt someone else's experience at a game (God forbid someone has the audacity to wear an opposing team's jersey into OUR arena, right? ). If you're really concerned about the treatment you think you'll receive, just err on the side of caution and opt not to wear a Panthers jersey.

Then again, seeing as how you're a Panthers fan and not a Rangers, Devils, Pens, or Leafs fan, I don't think the crowd's going to care as much so as to give you a hard time. As long as you're not a jerk and buy into the jeering, I'd expect you'll be fine. I hope all goes well!

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
I wouldn't wear them. Panthers are probably some of the safest jerseys you can wear in there, though.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
(God forbid someone has the audacity to wear an opposing team's jersey into OUR arena, right? ).
I don't see why you would have a problem with this. This is part of the reason why our city is one of the toughest cities to play in any sport. I encourage this behavoir, in fact.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Kevin Danko
Couple of Drinks Bud

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I don't see why you would have a problem with this. This is part of the reason why our city is one of the toughest cities to play in any sport. I encourage this behavoir, in fact.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

LOL

You guys are awesome! I envy the passion you guys have for your team...in Florida, we have 50-50 fans in the building at any given game-50% Panther fans, 50% opposing team fans.

I think I'll wear my jersey...I'm not a jerk, but I can't bring myself to wear the other team's colors. I might dress my kids in their Flyers jerseys though.

I really appreciate the input!

Old
07-26-2007, 07:58 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Didn't we win 'meanest fans' by some ESPN poll this year?

I would heckle you a bit, in a friendly way.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
u should be fine...just keep a low profile lol

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
We're Florida Panther fans, with family in Philly. We're thinking about flying up for the Panthers/Flyers game in February. If we go, I want to wear my Panthers jersey (along with the kids). My husband says there's no way we wear our jerseys to your arena...my question is, would I get a lot of heat from typical Flyer fans if I wear my Panthers jersey?

Thanks in advance for your input.
I've been a Flyers' fan since the 1970s and have seen them in countless road games over the years and many among the ferocious fan bases like the Bruins in Boston Garden and the Rangers in MSG. There are those who enjoy displaying their favorite team's colors in an opposing building and sticking out in a crowd, especially when their team wins, but I went to see my favorite team play and not get into heated debate with strangers when I was out-numbered 900-1. There were times I tried to keep a low profile and other times when I couldn't because of what happened on the ice. Just some friendly advice, go to the game and root for your team. There is nothing wrong with that but understand that you are going into a building whose fans are as devoted as just about any team in North America. If you have to ask a question about it, my take is that there is a slight level of discomfort and that alone could ruin an entertaining evening.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
CapsChemist

It shouldn't be to bad because your going as a family and its not the playoffs.

I cant remember what game it was but it was from the ECF in 03-04. Me and my buddies were in noosebleed(our backs were touching the wall) and this was during the orange crush. This idiot Tampa fan decides to dress his son and himself in those gay techno color Tampa sweaters. Needless to say they were both moved my security before the game even started and many brave Flyers fans were taken down by the PoPo.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I've been a Flyers' fan since the 1970s and have seen them in countless road games over the years and many among the ferocious fan bases like the Bruins in Boston Garden and the Rangers in MSG. There are those who enjoy displaying their favorite team's colors in an opposing building and sticking out in a crowd, especially when their team wins, but I went to see my favorite team play and not get into heated debate with strangers when I was out-numbered 900-1. There were times I tried to keep a low profile and other times when I couldn't because of what happened on the ice. Just some friendly advice, go to the game and root for your team. There is nothing wrong with that but understand that you are going into a building whose fans are as devoted as just about any team in North America. If you have to ask a question about it, my take is that there is a slight level of discomfort and that alone could ruin an entertaining evening.
Thanks for the input. I just like to have a good time...not debate anyone, and certainly not harass other people. I expect some good-natured heckling. Just don't want it to get too nasty with my kids around, kwim? Every Flyers fan I've ever met IRL has always been really friendly, and bantered with us all in good fun. I assume you all are like that. My husband is trying to convince me I'm wrong. LOL

Old
07-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Thanks for the input. I just like to have a good time...not debate anyone, and certainly not harass other people. I expect some good-natured heckling. Just don't want it to get too nasty with my kids around, kwim? Every Flyers fan I've ever met IRL has always been really friendly, and bantered with us all in good fun. I assume you all are like that. My husband is trying to convince me I'm wrong. LOL
I think as long as you can take some of the heat it will be fine. If it gets too out of control I would simply point out the kids and it should stop. If I go to this game though I would really like to know where you are going to be sitting because I would like to get in on heckling a little bit. Also, I would really love to capture that rare and elusive picture of an actual Panther's fan, I hear they are worth hundreds.

Superman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 09:20 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
panthers' fans, almost as rare as an actual panther.

but in all seriousness, as long as you don't take the heckling personally and have a little patience with the jackasses, you should be fine. using your kids as a shield should protect you if all hell breaks loose

hope you have fun at the game, wish i could fly home from michigan to see a flyers game this season.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Nuclear

Panthers jersey? You're fine. I doubt there'll be a heated crowd that night.

I remember I went to the last home game of the season a few years ago, we played the Rangers. We won, and the people sitting next to us were in Rangers jerseys. Someone went up behind the guy on the far left (end seat) and hit him in the face from behind with a personal pan pizza. Definitely my favorite memory from a Flyers game.

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 09:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
You'll be fine. We're not Eagles fans.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 10:25 PM
McNasty

Yea, as a Cowboys fan I go to the Eagles-Cowboys game in Philly every year and it's brutal. Luckily even though I'm 19 I can play the "go ahead and hit me I'm 17 card". Works every time.

The Panthers aren't really a heated rival or anything and as previously stated its not the playoffs.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:24 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcoholyca View Post
It shouldn't be to bad because your going as a family and its not the playoffs.

I cant remember what game it was but it was from the ECF in 03-04. Me and my buddies were in noosebleed(our backs were touching the wall) and this was during the orange crush. This idiot Tampa fan decides to dress his son and himself in those gay techno color Tampa sweaters. Needless to say they were both moved my security before the game even started and many brave Flyers fans were taken down by the PoPo.

I find this hysterical.

To the question at hand, last year at Wachovia I witness a guy wearing a Leafs T-shirt, which was barely visible under his jacket IMO, get ripped a new one. I've also witnessed MANY Flyers fans ripping Devil fans apart-in New Jersey.

I did wear the O&B to MSG once and took some ribbing--my husband took a bit more, but I could care less, Lindros scored the game winner and other than the guy literally kicking in the water fountain, I never had any "fear."

However, I would never, ever wear any other team's colors in Philly, even if it wasn't a big rival. It really just isn't worth it.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:31 PM
TheKingPin

i would be careful. depending on what your tolerance is. Just dont respond in a combative way thats when most of the problems start. ive seen people boo and call little kids *******s there. but that was in the playoffs and when we lost . if you wear it just be careful and repectful of the being in another teams building.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:33 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
hell yea kz

i remeber at game 4 against the Sabres after foppa got the empth netter i got the puck from flyers staff becaue i yelled at every player on the Buffalo bench which i was right next to. i even told Miller how he would be scored on....funny thing is i complimented Briere as he walked by haha

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:40 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Honestly, guys, I go to a lot of games, I don't think he'll get much in a Panthers jersey. They're probably on the short list of "safe" jerseys to wear in the Wach. You might get a little crap, but honestly, we've toned it down the past few years. I've seen guys walk into the men's room in Islanders caps and come out with those caps still on their heads and completely dry.

We're not as bad as we like to claim we are. Not anymore.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2007, 11:42 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersphan View Post
hell yea kz

i remeber at game 4 against the Sabres after foppa got the empth netter i got the puck from flyers staff becaue i yelled at every player on the Buffalo bench which i was right next to. i even told Miller how he would be scored on....funny thing is i complimented Briere as he walked by haha
Forward thinking on that one, I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post
Honestly, guys, I go to a lot of games, I don't think he'll get much in a Panthers jersey. They're probably on the short list of "safe" jerseys to wear in the Wach. You might get a little crap, but honestly, we've toned it down the past few years. I've seen guys walk into the men's room in Islanders caps and come out with those caps still on their heads and completely dry.

We're not as bad as we like to claim we are. Not anymore.
Again, I'm nearly spewing liquids. You guys are too funny.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
I don't encourage heckling a family at a game. If it's a guy who is alone or out with his girlfriend, that's one thing, but when there are children involved, I don't think it's appropriate to profanely and vulgarly heckle. In the end, it's just a game, and everyone is there trying to enjoy themselves. Nothing can be gained by misbehaving and giving parents a hard time in front of their kids... it's classless and crosses the boundary between appropriate jeering and completely unpleasant behavior, IMO.

Personally, I don't take pride in seeing a fellow fan yell, "**** you, you ****ing *******!" to someone while he or she is with a child. It's unnecessary and disgusting.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote