HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Renberg

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2007, 08:25 AM
dwightkurt

vCash: 500
Mikael Renberg

I wonder if anyone could tell me something about Mikael Renbergs time in Lightnings? Did he play in PP or BP, the first line and so on...

Old
05-21-2007, 01:15 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeshua View Post
I wonder if anyone could tell me something about Mikael Renbergs time in Lightnings? Did he play in PP or BP, the first line and so on...
I've tried to do my best to forget about that era of Lightning history. But, in theory, he was their most talented player and was used accordingly (PP, PK and 1st line).

Old
05-21-2007, 03:54 PM
Dangerfield

He was a big disappointment. His rookie season with the Flyers was his best by far, really the only good NHL season he ever played.

Old
05-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
He was a big disappointment. His rookie season with the Flyers was his best by far, really the only good NHL season he ever played.
Renberg was better in his second NHL season than his first and got off to a torrid start in his third.

His entire career path changed due to a serious sports hernia that he played through. It ruined the remainder of his third season and took him nearly a year to recover from (he actually had an outstanding second half of the 1996-97 season).

Unfortunately, Mikael was never a completely healthy player again. He'd get into a groove and promptly break his hand (happened twice in Tampa; actually once it was his thumb), separate a shoulder, fracture a rib, get kicked in the face with a skate (happened in Philly), get injured in a freak boating accident, nearly get his hand amputated after an infection, tear a groin muscle or injure his back..... Think I got all of his major injuries.

BTW, he remained one of the league's best clutch scorers even when the quantity of goals dropped. Plus, he was a two-way player.

Old
05-21-2007, 04:13 PM
LastoftheBrunnenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolton View Post
Well, he was the 3rd best player on the LeClair-Lindros-Renberg line and that obviously propped up his stats. He was a good hockey player, but not a core player. Unfortunately the circumstances of his arrival and the derth of talent around him lead to his immeadiate exposure as nothing more than a role player. It didn't help that the local radio guy talked him up as a "world class talent". Philly knew Renberg was worth less than the 4 #1's they gave up to sign Gratton and jumped at the chance to "help Tampa".

Geez, all these bad memories. I'll have to go watch my Game 7 DVD to feel better.

Old
05-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Bill_Meltzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG View Post
Well, he was the 3rd best player on the LeClair-Lindros-Renberg line and that obviously propped up his stats.
For the first year and a half of the line's existence, he was a better player than LeClair.

BTW, Renberg scored at virtually the same rate, whether his linemates were Lindros-LeClair, Lindros-Recchi, Brind'Amour-Dineen, Otto-Podein. Even when he played with Slava Butsayev and an aging Pelle Eklund early in his rookie year, he produced.

Injuries are what derailed his career.

Old
05-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

This is all I remember...one of the worst trades in hockey history!
Philadelphia Flyers traded Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis to the Tampa Bay Lightning for 1st round selection in 1998 (Simon Gagne), 1999 (Maxime Ouellet), 2000 (Justin Williams) and 2001 (previously acquired, later traded to Ottawa - Tim Gleason).

Old
05-23-2007, 09:38 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
For the first year and a half of the line's existence, he was a better player than LeClair.

BTW, Renberg scored at virtually the same rate, whether his linemates were Lindros-LeClair, Lindros-Recchi, Brind'Amour-Dineen, Otto-Podein. Even when he played with Slava Butsayev and an aging Pelle Eklund early in his rookie year, he produced.

Injuries are what derailed his career.
I agree. Oh and Hi Bill.

Old
05-24-2007, 01:46 AM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman View Post
This is all I remember...one of the worst trades in hockey history!
Philadelphia Flyers traded Mikael Renberg and Karl Dykhuis to the Tampa Bay Lightning for 1st round selection in 1998 (Simon Gagne), 1999 (Maxime Ouellet), 2000 (Justin Williams) and 2001 (previously acquired, later traded to Ottawa - Tim Gleason).
Wow, three of those players are very good NHL players as well.

Old
05-28-2007, 11:49 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG View Post
Well, he was the 3rd best player on the LeClair-Lindros-Renberg line and that obviously propped up his stats. He was a good hockey player, but not a core player. Unfortunately the circumstances of his arrival and the derth of talent around him lead to his immeadiate exposure as nothing more than a role player. It didn't help that the local radio guy talked him up as a "world class talent". Philly knew Renberg was worth less than the 4 #1's they gave up to sign Gratton and jumped at the chance to "help Tampa".

Geez, all these bad memories. I'll have to go watch my Game 7 DVD to feel better.
Unfortunately, you might want to take some time to go back and look at history. His rookie year, best statistically, was not with LOD as LeClair was not on the team that year. He played some with Lindros and Recchi, some with Brind'amour and some on the third line and produced no matter which line he was on. He was not a product of LeClair/Lindros by any means. In fact, I think he was a very big piece of that line working. Renberg was a highly underrated player who was on his way to being one of the top RWs in the league until the injury problems started.

Old
08-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Peter The Great

Renberg is one of my all time favorites. Yes, unfortunately he was never the same after the injury problems started.

LOD is also one of my all time favorite lines. I have to get a LOD DVD if there is one.

Renberg was not the most technical skilled but with a huge heart, great skater for his size, fighting spirit and strong physically. He always gave 100 procent.

Last edited by 21: 08-02-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Closed Thread