HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lowe is actually helping small market teams

Old
07-30-2007, 04:12 PM
ukyote

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ukyote
Has anyone noticed that the only people complaining are fans of teams who spend megabucks on UFAs / older players and neglect to sign their younger players? I applaud KLo for what he's doing; i.e. punishing the arrogance of the bigger teams in not locking up their young talent.

One of the side effects of the cap was supposedly to bring some parity to the NHL, but as we can see it's not happened and there are still 'haves' and 'have-nots' (Phoenix being one of them). What this does is rewards the teams that manage themselves well under the cap as they can afford to sign their young RFAs (at the seemingly inflated prices) as well as restricting how much other can spend on UFAs (if they too are forced to pay more for their younger players).

People need to stop crying and accept that this is a part of the game, Lowe is not destroying anything, and that competition is good for the popularity of any sport. Hell, this league needs fans and if this makes the smaller teams more attractive to the paying public then the fans of 'established, bigger teams' need to stop being selfish and suck it up.

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 04:36 PM
ukyote

Send a message via MSN to ukyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Yes, because teams that start overpaying for potential/pending RFAs (to prevent poaching from GMs like Lowe) will have LESS money to pay for other players because of the Cap. Every team will have to do it to else risk losing them. You have a finite amount of money to complete your roster.
Who says they will have to overpay? Just lock them up to 'normal' contracts early and you'll be fine... if overpayments become the norm (which under a cap system always balances itself out anyway) then all it does is push the NHL towards parity, giving other teams a chance of icing a competitive team.

Teams such as the Yotes will have a huge amount of space under the cap when the time comes for us to contend for a cup, thus rewarding good contract management in the past. Teams such as the Ducks are being forced to pay up and cause them cap issues, or lose a young player. I don't see why this is unfair. Frustrating for them, yes, but as I've said before it seems like the only fans that complain about this are the ones of teams hoarding both young talent and star players... so I have no sympathy for any of you!

ukyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:15 PM
srf575

I think it's quite ironic that dor years, teams would poach talent from the teams like Edmonton, and for the first time things are reversed, people are panicking. Good on Kevin Lowe.. had the balls to do it first.

Now, if we just never started publishing salaries in the first place, things would be different, and the average Joe could afford to see quite a few more games..

srf575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Bring Back Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post
link?
I'm sure you're fully capable of carrying out a search on the Montreal board... but then again, you are a Flames fan after all.

Bring Back Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:23 PM
zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
I suggest you start drinking the water in Edmonton. That Calgary water must be a little bit muddy.
The wives seem to like it

zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
Lowe is doing what he has to do. He's tryign to show his fanbase that he wants to field and exciting product and a co mpetitive team, you can't blame him for that. He couldnt get any UFA forwards, got a tad screwed by Nylander (though the way i see it, nylander isn't really the a-hole) and this is what it comes to. Its not a d-ck move liek Bobby Clarke signing Kesler to a one year offer sheet....Lowe is committign to these young guys, showing he wants to build his team aroudn them, and there's nothign wrong with that. Plus....what kind of shmuck is not gonna take a 1st 2nd and a 3rd in a LOADED draft for Penner? its not like these guys are being lost for nothing.

lay off big kev, he's just trying to throw a solid team on the ice any way he can.
So Bob Clarke gives a guy an offer sheet after finding out that Primeau is retiring and it is a "d-ck" move but what Lowe is doing is just trying to help small market teams while using a legal avenue to improve his own? Got it, so when Lowe does it he's a genius but anyone else is an a**hole.

Last edited by stazza18: 07-30-2007 at 06:10 PM.
stazza18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer Time View Post
I'm sure you're fully capable of carrying out a search on the Montreal board... but then again, you are a Flames fan after all.
That's rich, coming from a representative of a fanbase that can't tell the difference between desperation and vision. Though one year from now, after Lowe has been fired, I suspect that you, and all of your cohorts will be around acting like you always hated Lowe, and are happy he was(will be) fired. It's the true Edmonton way.

Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:06 PM
Bring Back Smyth

Quote:
That's rich, coming from a representative of a fanbase that can't tell the difference between desperation and vision. Though one year from now, after Lowe has been fired, I suspect that you, and all of your cohorts will be around acting like you always hated Lowe, and are happy he was(will be) fired. It's the true Edmonton way.
Haha, I'm not sure why you're firing bullets at me. First of all, all I had said is Souray was offered more money by Montreal. I hadn't even mentioned Lowe's name once in any of my responses to you. Secondly, I'm far from a Lowe supporter so you either don't read my posts or you are scraping whatever crap you can get together so that you can feel better about yourself, your city and your franchise (which has absolutely no history). My guess is the latter, but I suppose its the 'true Calgarian way'. Stay classy, Resolute.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Resolute

Quote:
Haha, I'm not sure why you're firing bullets at me. First of all, all I had said is Souray was offered more money by Montreal. I hadn't even mentioned Lowe's name once in any of my responses to you. Secondly, I'm far from a Lowe supporter so you either don't read my posts or you are scraping whatever crap you can get together so that you can feel better about yourself, your city and your franchise (which has absolutely no history). My guess is the latter, but I suppose its the 'true Calgarian way'. Stay classy, Resolute.
Calgary has "no history", and Edmonton no future. Somewhat appropriate, don't you think?

Believe me, my young friend, Calgary doesn't need to trash Edmonton to feel better about itself. Though judging by the comments of one of your councilmen last week, the Edmonton inferiority complex is alive and well.

Now, do you wish to continue to trade barbs until we both get a warning from a mod, or this ridiculous thread gets locked, or are you going to find that link that supports your comment?

Old
07-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Bring Back Smyth

Quote:
Calgary has "no history", and Edmonton no future. Somewhat appropriate, don't you think?
I don't know whether I should take this comment seriously or not?

Quote:
Believe me, my young friend, Calgary doesn't need to trash Edmonton to feel better about itself. Though judging by the comments of one of your councilmen last week, the Edmonton inferiority complex is alive and well.
Really? You really could've fooled me.
Quote:
Now, do you wish to continue to trade barbs until we both get a warning from a mod, or this ridiculous thread gets locked, or are you going to find that link that supports your comment?
I don't think I've done anything to warrant a warning except for defend myself from attacks by a disgruntled Flame fan. And like I had said, even though you are a Flame fan I'm sure you have the intellectual capabilities to make a search through the Montreal board.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:22 PM
Resolute

Quote:
I don't know whether I should take this comment seriously or not?
That was rather the point. I guess you never learned sarcasm.

I suppose if asking for a link makes me a "disgruntled Flames fan" so be it. But, if you cant find a link, I accept that.

Cheers.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Bring Back Smyth

Quote:
That was rather the point. I guess you never learned sarcasm.

I suppose if asking for a link makes me a "disgruntled Flames fan" so be it. But, if you cant find a link, I accept that.

Cheers.
I never realized using the search function on this board was that difficult to use. If you need help feel free to PM me and I can give you step by step instructions.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:38 PM
qwerty

If you guys are arguing about who offered more to Souray than...

Canadiens offered Souray $22m for 4 years. ($5.5m)

Oilers offered Souray $27 for 5 years. ($5.4m)

So, technically, the Canadiens offered more money (one less year though). But with the higher personal taxes and PST in Quebec, it probably turns out to be less disposable income per year.

qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Resolute

Quote:
I never realized using the search function on this board was that difficult to use. If you need help feel free to PM me and I can give you step by step instructions.
Given you obviously lack the intelligence to do it yourself, I am sure that you are happy qwerty just saved you the embarrassment of trying.

Thanks querty.

Old
07-31-2007, 03:03 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodybutcalgary View Post
Despite how things look Kevin Lowe is actually helping the small market teams out..although he is driving up salaries for RFA's, on the flip side, this will probably result in lower salaries for UFA'a.

Now that their is linkage between revenues and salaries one man can't possibly drive up payrolls..this will just force teams to split the pie differently.

this definitely adds another element to the off season..gotta love the new NHL. Just goes to prove that this whole non sense of a gentlemans agreement was mythical and non-existant.

GM's still have choice..if they think the player is worth it, then match..If they think the offer is over payment, walk away and take the picks and let someone else take the hit on the bad contract.

after years and years of seeing the oilers roster get pillaged i think this is justice. after signing/trading for Pitkanen, Souray, Vanek & Penner i think this shows the NHL that edmonton can't be that bad of a place to play..
Lowe is helping small market teams? Last I heard Buffalo is Considered a small market team and all Edmonton did was force them to overpay a player. The same with Anahiem. You think they are a huge market team like Detroit?

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote