HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd#7-ML Semi-Finals: Springfield Ice-o-Topes vs. Estevan Strippers

Old
07-27-2007, 04:12 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Atd#7-ML Semi-Finals: Springfield Ice-o-Topes vs. Estevan Strippers

Springfield Ice-o-Topes

coach: Frank Patrick
captain: Tumba Johansson
alternate captains: Adam Deadmarsh, Normand Rochefort
team MVP: Yuri Liapkin

Real Cloutier - Tumba Johansson (C) - Mikael Renberg
Adam Deamarsh (A) - Jason Allison - Ziggy Palffy
Ab McDonald - Rob Niedermayer - Simon Gagne
Rich Sutter - Ron Sutter - Reggie Fleming
Joey Kocur

Yuri Liapkin - Normand Rochefort (A)
Pekka Rautakallio - Bryan Marchment
Lee Fogolin Jr. - Lee Fogolin Sr.
Pierre Bouchard

John Hutton
Guy Hebert
Bob Froese

vs.

Estevan Strippers

coach: Brian Kilrea
captain: Shane Doan
alternate captains: Joe Watson, Dave Balon
team MVP: Tony McKegney

Tony McKegney - Mike Rogers - Blaine Stoughton
Brenden Morrow - Mike Bullard - Shane Doan (C)
Dave Balon (A) - Syl Apps Jr - Lorne Carr
Ethan Moreau - Charlie Burns - Patrick Flatley
Herb Carnegie

John Van Boxmeer - Joe Watson (A)
Rick Green - Risto Siltanen
Jeff Beukeboom - Kjell Samuelsson
Jay Bouwmeester

Gilles Meloche
Gary Smith
Jocelyn Thibault

Last edited by VanIslander: 07-27-2007 at 04:34 AM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 04:12 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

The league's number one seed and 2nd best powerplay units

PP1: Real Cloutier, Tumba Johansson, Ziggy Palffy, Pekka Rautakallio, Yuri Liapkin
PP2: Simon Gagne, Jason Allison, Ab McDonald, Lee Fogolin Jr., Pekka Rautakallio

PK1: Reggie Fleming, Rob Niedermayer, Normand Rochefort, Lee Fogolin Sr.
PK2: Mikael Renberg, Ron Sutter, Bryan Marchment, Lee Fogolin Jr.

vs.

The number six seed and the league's best penalty kill units

PP1: Tony McKegney, Mike Rogers, Blaine Stoughton, John Van Boxmeer, Risto Siltanen
PP2: Dave Balon, Mike Bullard, Shane Doan, Joe Watson, Syl Apps Jr.

PK1: Ethan Moreau, Charlie Burns, Ulf Samuelsson, Rick Green
PK2: Dave Balon, Brendan Morrow, Jeff Beukeboom, Joe Watson

Last edited by VanIslander: 07-27-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old
07-27-2007, 11:41 AM
God Bless Canada

Our strategy with Springfield's first two lines will be to play a hard, physical game. Renberg and Deadmarsh are both big, rugged players, but they're also injury-prone. Injuries gripped Renberg's career following two excellent seasons to start his career. Deadmarsh would likely be a fixture in the main draft if not for the injury problems that marred his career, and the concussions that forced him to retire.

Allison and Palffy are injury-prone, too, and they're the types that if you hit them, they will disappear. Allison might be the best playmaking forward in this draft, but he's also one of the softest. And keeping up with him won't be an issue, even for Jeff Beukeboom. Real Cloutier was a scoring star in the WHA, and had some excellent offensive seasons in the show, but he's another guy who will fade the more you hit him.

Springfield's third line is excellent. It might be the fastest line in the draft. Then again, you could put Gino Odjick out there with Gagne and Niedermayer, and it would be the fastest line in the draft. Ab McDonald is very underrated. Good enough to play with Mikita and Wharram in Chicago. One of the top LW's in the draft, and likely Springfield's best LW. Gagne gives this team lots of speed, great hockey sense and goal-scoring instincts, and strong defensive play to boot. Rob Niedermayer won't get you much offensively - his creativity is nill - but he's that big checking forward that everyone covets, and he's smart defensively, physical and lightning-quick. He's borderline good enough to be picked in the main draft.

We overcame possibly the best checking line in the draft in the last series. Now we have to overcome possibly the second-best.

Honestly, Springfield's fourth line isn't much. Ron Sutter's a fine defensive centre, a guy we had rated right behind Charlie Burns. But Rich Sutter was definitely the least of the six Sutters. Reggie Flemming strikes me as a guy who would be a dime-a-dozen type, and I think pappy's comments after the selection was made back me up.

Both teams have excellent defence corps. Liapkin won the league MVP, but I wonder how different the results would have been if we had Joe Watson in our line-up. Watson was a major addition for us in the playoffs against Syracuse, and we expect him and Balon to be our best in this series. Normand Rochefort was an unheralded, but very good defensive defenceman (I remember one thread in the History forum asking how Rochefort wound up on the Canada Cup team in 87). Bryan Marchment is probably a 10-12 minute per game defenceman, but the value of a guy like him is that opponents hear footsteps every time he's on the ice.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
pitseleh

This is a classic offense versus defense battle. Springfield has an advantage in offense from their forwards and puck moving defensemen while Estevan has the edge in defensive defensemen and goaltending.

Estevan will look to pound the daylights out of Springfield's forwards. If they are able to wear them down and intimidate them, the series will be theirs. They will also need some timely scoring from their second and third lines.

Springfield will have to capitalize on the PP opportunities they will inevitably get and beat Estevan's excellent PK. They will also need Liapkin and Rautakallio to man their transition game, which will be their best bet to defeat Estevan's stifling defense.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Murphy

So I go to google John Hutton as I've never heard of him, neither has google, lol.

I know the series is billed as Springfields offense vs Estevans defense but I really like Estevans offense as well, especially the depth. When the team was finalized, particularily the third line I thought hot damn thats a pretty solid line. They were all GBC's guys, I didn't know all that much about them and had to look them up.

I think Springfield's first two lines are more skilled but in a tough series, like I'd hope this one to be would they be as effective? I see the top two lines playing to a saw-off, no real big advantage to each side. Its the third and fourth lines where I see Estevan having an advantage and taking over. I love the Sutters and Ron & Rich will give you a great effort but will they be able to do much else?

Sheesh, worked called, gotta go, will add more of my two cents later

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 01:23 PM
raleh

If you google John Hutton his legends of hockey bio is the first thing that comes up...not sure what happened there.

I think it's kinda funny the way you guys came on here and contradicted each other. GBC says that our third line is the best remaining checking line in the draft (which is correct) and then Murph comes on and says that it's our weakness. Also, Pitseleh comments on how explosive our offense is. So there you have it, GBC says we're great defensively and Pit says we're great offensively.

The fact is, our team is that well balanced. All of our top three lines are as good or better offensively than Estevan's top line. Our checking line has one of the best snipers in the draft. Our transition game is going to kill the strippers in this series. Especially since we have the best two offensive blueliners left in the draft. You're not going to push us around either. Tumba, Renberg, Deadmarsh, Niedermayer, the Sutters...these aren't the Sedins guys. You'll need to come up with something better than your generic "this is how a GBC team or a Murphy team beat you". We've heard them all, and you've got to throw something different at us this time. I'm tempted to throw Kocur into the line up for this series cause I wanna throw down!

You can call the Sutters and Fleming "dime a dozen players" all you want. But your "twin towers" suffer from the same affliction. Unfortunately, they aren't nearly as intimidating away from Estevan and you guys don't have home ice advantage here. AND you can't blame that on the fact that you lost Watson in the regular season because we lost Tumba. So GBC, your question as to whether Liapkin would have beaten Watson for the MVP is moot because Tumba woulda beat 'em both.

I'm excited. I've wanted to face one of these guys in a draft for a while now, and now I get 'em both!

That said...good luck Estevan haha.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Murphy

GBC is the nice one, full of compliments, I'm the not so nice one.

As far as I could see Hutton is an English MLA, he'd probabably do just as well anyways........

and I didn't say your third line was a weakness, just not as good as Estevan's

You have Gagne on your checking line? I thought the Sutter twins were your checkers? Well whatever role they're supposed to play I hope for Springfields sake they see alot of the bench as they'll get feasted on with whatever matchup they face.

I think with Burns and Balon who regularily were assigned to check the likes of Howe & Hull, Tumba shouldn't be much of a problem.

Estevan has the depth, goaltending advantage and are a harder team to play against.

Sorry got go, again, will be back for more later.

Old
07-29-2007, 04:22 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleh View Post
If you google John Hutton his legends of hockey bio is the first thing that comes up...not sure what happened there.

I think it's kinda funny the way you guys came on here and contradicted each other. GBC says that our third line is the best remaining checking line in the draft (which is correct) and then Murph comes on and says that it's our weakness. Also, Pitseleh comments on how explosive our offense is. So there you have it, GBC says we're great defensively and Pit says we're great offensively.

The fact is, our team is that well balanced. All of our top three lines are as good or better offensively than Estevan's top line. Our checking line has one of the best snipers in the draft. Our transition game is going to kill the strippers in this series. Especially since we have the best two offensive blueliners left in the draft. You're not going to push us around either. Tumba, Renberg, Deadmarsh, Niedermayer, the Sutters...these aren't the Sedins guys. You'll need to come up with something better than your generic "this is how a GBC team or a Murphy team beat you". We've heard them all, and you've got to throw something different at us this time. I'm tempted to throw Kocur into the line up for this series cause I wanna throw down!

You can call the Sutters and Fleming "dime a dozen players" all you want. But your "twin towers" suffer from the same affliction. Unfortunately, they aren't nearly as intimidating away from Estevan and you guys don't have home ice advantage here. AND you can't blame that on the fact that you lost Watson in the regular season because we lost Tumba. So GBC, your question as to whether Liapkin would have beaten Watson for the MVP is moot because Tumba woulda beat 'em both.

I'm excited. I've wanted to face one of these guys in a draft for a while now, and now I get 'em both!

That said...good luck Estevan haha.
Ron Sutter isn't a dime a dozen player. He was right behind Charlie Burns on our list for checking/defensive centres. But Rich Sutter is definitely the least of the six Sutter's, and probably not good enough for a minor league draft. Fleming is the one I called "dime a dozen."

We'll see how your European defencemen hold up against our forecheck. Morrow, Doan and Moreau are going to be in their face all night, with constant pressure, and they'll hit them every chance they get. Guys like Balon, McKegney, Stoughton, Bullard, Apps and Flatley will also be in on the forecheck. Outside of Liapkin and Rautakallio, Springfield's defence does struggle to move the puck.

I really like Springfield's third line from a two-way perspective, and they have speed to burn. But we'll see how they do when they have to carry the load offensively, and eat up the bulk of the ice time. I don't know if they're capable of it, especially with Rob Niedermayer as the centre.

If you hit Springfield's first two lines, they will fade. Renberg and Deadmarsh are big and physical, but they're also rather injury prone. Renberg's career was really limited by injuries; Deadmarsh's career was ended by injuries. Allison might be the easiest player to neutralize left in the playoffs. Palffy won't be able to do it by himself. We think we can shut down Johansson; we know we can shut down Cloutier.

We have two strong checking lines (Moreau-Burns-Flatley and Morrow-Bullard-Doan) plus Dave Balon. Get past them, and you still have to worry about Green, Samuelsson, Beukeboom, Watson and, when he's in the line-up, Bouwmeester. The Twin Towers will be split up on the road, but I can't think of a better defensive tandem for the small Estevan ice surface, which also isn't very good ice.

pit is right. It is a classic offence vs. defence battle. And as the old saying goes: defence wins championships.

Old
07-29-2007, 11:43 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
If you hit Springfield's first two lines, they will fade. Renberg and Deadmarsh are big and physical, but they're also rather injury prone. Renberg's career was really limited by injuries; Deadmarsh's career was ended by injuries. Allison might be the easiest player to neutralize left in the playoffs. Palffy won't be able to do it by himself. We think we can shut down Johansson; we know we can shut down Cloutier.
Jason Allison has a PPG in the playoffs...so I'm not sure where this easy to neutralize idea is coming from. His playoff stats are superior to any of Estevan's centres, and he did it in the dead puck era, not the post-expansion 70's and happy funtime 80's like Rogers, Bullard, and Apps.

With our home ice advantage, I think Rob Neidermayer will have a field day with tiny little Mike Rogers. Neidermayer is plenty fast enough to skate with anyone in the draft, and is extremely physical, with the rare ability to play dirty without racking up the PM's.

Blaine Stoughton is a player who's easily neutralized. Very talented, but a player who was known to dissapear when the going got tough.

"Blaine thrived on fast paced, loosey-goosey hockey games where there wasn't a whole lot of defense being played. But once the game became very physical or very tight, Stoughton frustrated many fans and hockey people by seemingly disappearing in such contests." -Legends of Hockey Network

McKegney is the third member of that line. A good player, but not a guy who's going to carry an offense.

I'm not particularly worried about Estevan's second line, to be honest. Doan and Morrow are good salt-of-the-earth players, but neither are particularly creative offensively. They're decent goal scorers (25 goal guys, generally), but they need a playmaker if you want them to light it up. And Bullard is not the man for that job. He topped 50 assists just once playing in the most offensive era in hockey history, and was a constant injury concern. This line should not be counted upon to produce offense on any regular basis.

Estevan's third line is probably more talented offensively than their second, but contains three players who's offensive numbers dove considerably once the playoffs arrived.

I believe our offense is significantly better. The top lines are very similar, while our second line is head and shoulders above Estevan's, and we have the two best offensive defensemen in the series.

Our defense is very close. On top of being a stellar offensive catalyst and the league MVP, Yuri Liapkin was an excellent defensive player. When you're a PK fixture on the Soviet National team, you can play inyour own zone. Normand Rochefort was a phenominal shut-down guy, and said by many to be the steadiest defensive player at the 1987 Canada Cup. Although we chose him for his ridiculous puck-moving abilities, Pekka Rautakallio was an excellent positional player with a knack for getting his big 6'3, 220lb frame into passing lanes. The award for top defenseman in the Finnish League is actually named after him. Say what you want about Bryan Marchment, but he was a physical force on the ice (and he used his powers for both good and evil). One of the dirtiest players ever, but also a very solid defensive player with the ability to throw massive clean open-ice checks and work guys over in the corners. He was named the top defenseman on Edmonton in his two full seasons there, and had some of his best years in San Jose. Lee Fogolin Sr. was a feared physical force in his day, and Lee Jr. was a great team-first player who was good enough to play in the allstar game.

Our checking line has three excellent defensive players. Sure, Simon Gagne is one of the best goal scorers in the league...but it's his defensive play that's made him a stalwart on Team Canada since he was 21 years old. Rob Neidermayer has played a key checking role on three finals appearances, and was instrumental to Anaheim's victory this past year. He's a big, physical player who's exceptional speed will be lethal in combination with Gagne's. Ab McDonald was good enough offensively to ride shotgun with Stan Mikita, but was also an excellent defensive player and penalty killer. He's a guy who's truly valuable in every situation.

Make all the jokes you like about John Hutton, but he's the most successful goaltender in this draft. He backstopped the first great Stanley Cup dynasty, and pitched a number of shutouts, which were unheard of in those days. As our backup, Guy Hebert is very similar to Estevan's Gilles Meloche. Both were excellent, consistant goaltenders who had the misfortune of being saddled with crap teams their whole careers.

Call it a series of offense vs. defense if you like, but I feel our squad is far more balance in this regard. Estevan may be better defensively, but Springfield is MUCH better offensively, and the "defense wins championships" line doesn't hold water.

Last edited by arrbez: 07-30-2007 at 12:23 AM.
arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:55 PM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Haven't posted in a while, my computer died on Friday and I've had very little luck reviving it.

Nobody has mentioned coaching yet. Patrick is probably a bigger "hockey name", but Kilrea is one of the greatest major junior coaches ever. Anyone who has success in major juniors / NCAA isn't just riding a couple star players -- they're developing players and winning with their system year after year, so I give a huge advantage to the Strippers behind the bench, especially in a "minor league" playoffs.

These two teams are very evenly matched (I had one ranked 1 and the other 3) and I'm going to wait another 24 to make up my mind.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:52 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Haven't posted in a while, my computer died on Friday and I've had very little luck reviving it.

Nobody has mentioned coaching yet. Patrick is probably a bigger "hockey name", but Kilrea is one of the greatest major junior coaches ever. Anyone who has success in major juniors / NCAA isn't just riding a couple star players -- they're developing players and winning with their system year after year, so I give a huge advantage to the Strippers behind the bench, especially in a "minor league" playoffs.
On the other hand, Frank Patrick has experience coaching men, and had great success doing it, appearing in 4 Cup finals and winning 1 with his underpowered PCHA squad.

Brian Kilrea is a great coach, but it's a whole new ballgame here. I'm not saying he won't be an effective coach, but I'm not sure success in junior is in any way indicative of success at the NHL level. There's been plenty of examples in every sport of legendary junior/college coaches who couldn't translate that success at the big league level. Steve Spurrier, Rick Pitino...

Old
07-31-2007, 10:21 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
On the other hand, Frank Patrick has experience coaching men, and had great success doing it, appearing in 4 Cup finals and winning 1 with his underpowered PCHA squad.

Brian Kilrea is a great coach, but it's a whole new ballgame here. I'm not saying he won't be an effective coach, but I'm not sure success in junior is in any way indicative of success at the NHL level. There's been plenty of examples in every sport of legendary junior/college coaches who couldn't translate that success at the big league level. Steve Spurrier, Rick Pitino...
Kilrea has experience coaching men, too. He was an assistant coach with the Islanders in the mid 80s.

Is he demanding? Yes. But for a one-year deal, on a team loaded with character and a chance to win, I don't think it's much of an issue. If this was a keeper draft, with us retaining the same rosters (or the bulk of the rosters), I might look in a different direction. But outside of Hitchcock and maybe Tarasov, Kilrea is likely the best strategist and the best tactician in the draft.

Kilrea has an excellent understanding of the game, and ask anyone in the show how good he really is at preparing his players. The guys know what's at stake here, they know that they have an excellent shot of bringing the minor league draft title to Estevan, and they know that Killer has the strategies and the understanding of the game to make it happen.

Old
07-31-2007, 10:41 AM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Jason Allison has a PPG in the playoffs...so I'm not sure where this easy to neutralize idea is coming from. His playoff stats are superior to any of Estevan's centres, and he did it in the dead puck era, not the post-expansion 70's and happy funtime 80's like Rogers, Bullard, and Apps.

With our home ice advantage, I think Rob Neidermayer will have a field day with tiny little Mike Rogers. Neidermayer is plenty fast enough to skate with anyone in the draft, and is extremely physical, with the rare ability to play dirty without racking up the PM's.

Blaine Stoughton is a player who's easily neutralized. Very talented, but a player who was known to dissapear when the going got tough.

"Blaine thrived on fast paced, loosey-goosey hockey games where there wasn't a whole lot of defense being played. But once the game became very physical or very tight, Stoughton frustrated many fans and hockey people by seemingly disappearing in such contests." -Legends of Hockey Network

McKegney is the third member of that line. A good player, but not a guy who's going to carry an offense.

I'm not particularly worried about Estevan's second line, to be honest. Doan and Morrow are good salt-of-the-earth players, but neither are particularly creative offensively. They're decent goal scorers (25 goal guys, generally), but they need a playmaker if you want them to light it up. And Bullard is not the man for that job. He topped 50 assists just once playing in the most offensive era in hockey history, and was a constant injury concern. This line should not be counted upon to produce offense on any regular basis.

Estevan's third line is probably more talented offensively than their second, but contains three players who's offensive numbers dove considerably once the playoffs arrived.

I believe our offense is significantly better. The top lines are very similar, while our second line is head and shoulders above Estevan's, and we have the two best offensive defensemen in the series.

Our defense is very close. On top of being a stellar offensive catalyst and the league MVP, Yuri Liapkin was an excellent defensive player. When you're a PK fixture on the Soviet National team, you can play inyour own zone. Normand Rochefort was a phenominal shut-down guy, and said by many to be the steadiest defensive player at the 1987 Canada Cup. Although we chose him for his ridiculous puck-moving abilities, Pekka Rautakallio was an excellent positional player with a knack for getting his big 6'3, 220lb frame into passing lanes. The award for top defenseman in the Finnish League is actually named after him. Say what you want about Bryan Marchment, but he was a physical force on the ice (and he used his powers for both good and evil). One of the dirtiest players ever, but also a very solid defensive player with the ability to throw massive clean open-ice checks and work guys over in the corners. He was named the top defenseman on Edmonton in his two full seasons there, and had some of his best years in San Jose. Lee Fogolin Sr. was a feared physical force in his day, and Lee Jr. was a great team-first player who was good enough to play in the allstar game.

Our checking line has three excellent defensive players. Sure, Simon Gagne is one of the best goal scorers in the league...but it's his defensive play that's made him a stalwart on Team Canada since he was 21 years old. Rob Neidermayer has played a key checking role on three finals appearances, and was instrumental to Anaheim's victory this past year. He's a big, physical player who's exceptional speed will be lethal in combination with Gagne's. Ab McDonald was good enough offensively to ride shotgun with Stan Mikita, but was also an excellent defensive player and penalty killer. He's a guy who's truly valuable in every situation.

Make all the jokes you like about John Hutton, but he's the most successful goaltender in this draft. He backstopped the first great Stanley Cup dynasty, and pitched a number of shutouts, which were unheard of in those days. As our backup, Guy Hebert is very similar to Estevan's Gilles Meloche. Both were excellent, consistant goaltenders who had the misfortune of being saddled with crap teams their whole careers.

Call it a series of offense vs. defense if you like, but I feel our squad is far more balance in this regard. Estevan may be better defensively, but Springfield is MUCH better offensively, and the "defense wins championships" line doesn't hold water.
Actually, the defence wins championships line does hold water. Just ask Anaheim. Or ask those New Jersey teams that won three Cups in nine years, and almost made it a fourth Cup. You need to play strong team defence to win a championship. It's been proven time after time in sport after sport. If you want to play a cute offensive style, that's fine. But at the end of the day, it's the squad with the best team concept that wins, and the squad with the best team concept is usually the one that plays the best team defence.

Jason Allison has 25 points in 25 career playoff games. A very poor sample size. Watch him in the 1999 playoffs. Carolina didn't challenge him. I think Allison had eight or nine points in that series. Buffalo did challenge him. Buffalo shut him down. Look at our defence. You know that Watson, Green, Beukeboom and Samuelsson will challenge him. They'll play Allison hard, and Allison will wilt. And Beukeboom should have no problem keeping up with Allison.

That'll leave you with Adam Deadmarsh, who is due for a major injury any time now, and Palffy, who's a wonderful player, but he's not good enough to do it on his own. Nobody in this draft is good enough to do it on his own.

You won't hear any criticisms from us about your defence, other than outside of the two Europeans, I have doubts about their ability to move the puck. And we are going to hit those two players every chance we get. Want to see the difference a strong forecheck makes? Watch Canada in the gold medal game vs. the U.S. at the 2002 Olympics, and then watch any Canadian game in 2006.

And, as stated before, you won't hear any criticisms from me about your two-way third line. Skilled and fast, although Niedermayer is a little out of place, offensively, compared to McDonald and Gagne. We did, however, just knock off the team that we felt had the best two-way line in the draft, with the best defensive centre in the draft.

Our forward grouping is a little different. We have one scoring line, the McKegney-Rogers-Stoughton trio. Rogers and Stoughton are on the team to score. McKegney is here for his two-way play. Read Phil Esposito's book to find out what kind of player McKegney was.

Our second line is a grind line, but there's a lot of skill. Bullard has separate 50-goal and 100-point seasons. Impressive. While on paper, Doan and Morrow might not be the best linemates for Mike, their job is to wreak havoc on the forecheck, open room for Bullard with their physical play, get the puck to Bullard through their work in the corners, and battle in front to finish off Bullard's play. Morrow and Doan are likely the two best "power forwards" in this draft. There weren't many guys like them available, and with our rink, we felt they were must-haves.

Dave Balon is, for my money, the best forward in this series. Not many players available with Balon's playoff track record. He is absolutely good enough to be in the main draft. Two Cup championships, and he led the playoffs in assists in 68. Balon and Apps give us two pretty good two-way forwards for our third line, and Lorne Carr gives Apps another strong scoring option.

Old
07-31-2007, 01:15 PM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Actually, the defence wins championships line does hold water. Just ask Anaheim. Or ask those New Jersey teams that won three Cups in nine years, and almost made it a fourth Cup. You need to play strong team defence to win a championship. It's been proven time after time in sport after sport. If you want to play a cute offensive style, that's fine. But at the end of the day, it's the squad with the best team concept that wins, and the squad with the best team concept is usually the one that plays the best team defence.
OK, how about while we're asking Anaheim and New Jersey what it takes to win a championship, you ask the best team of our generation. I hardly think a defense core of Coffey, Lowe, and Huddy were winning "defense first championships". Their game plan was always to score at least one more goal as their opponents.

A forecheck by Shane Doan (for my money the most overrated player in the game today...Sean Avery agrees ) and Brendan Morrow will not be enough to throw Rautakallio off his game. I believe he's bigger and stronger than either of them.

If Estevan's strategy is actually to try and injure Renberg and Deadmarsh, they're in for a huge surprise. Neither of these guys is going to be taken out of the line up this close to a championship. And if anyone does insist on running them, we got a guy just itching to come into the game that'll return the favour.

Oh, and Tumba is far and away the best forward of this series...

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
vancityluongo

Whoa, feel the heat!

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:44 PM
BM67

The Estevan Strippers won the first game and never looked back, but they should have, because they forgot the puck, and the Springfield Ice-o-Topes ran off four straight wins to reach the final round.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:26 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Any of the final four would have made a deserving champion.

Glad to see this series had some heated competition in discussions even if the games ended prematurely.

Old
08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
arrbez
bad chi

wow, I thought this would be a 7 gamer for sure.

props to Estevan though, you guys had a killer squad, and it could have gone either way.

Old
08-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Murphy

Huh we lost????

I'm a semi finalist again?????????

Son of a................

Congrats Arrbez and raleh, you put together a pretty good squad, one I couldn't really argue much against. Definitely a deserving winner, especially having two Sutters on your squad.

Thanks again to GBC who really did most of the work with this team. I kind of just got to sit back and go meh......maybe.....he's pretty good.............No, not him...................I like that guy...........Its time to draft Moreau!!!!

I'd throw one name out there, he'd reply with 20. Thats the kind of gm i like working with!

Old
08-05-2007, 11:26 PM
God Bless Canada

Congrats to the Ice-o-Topes on winning this series. Of course I'm going to throw out the usual GBC statements like "I thought my team was better" and "it doesn't matter which round we lost in." Good luck to Springfield in the next round.

raleh and arrbez, consider yourselves on the GBC revenge list. Along with Murphy. And HO. (Hey, I still owe him from ATD #6). That's pretty good company.

On the upside, I don't have to worry about pimping my team in a final series. Back to the patio and Mr. Rickard's newest concoction.

Murph, it has been a pleasure working with you, my friend. For the first time in my life, I actually enjoyed the "If you can't beat him, join him" approach. Now I can resume my revenge strategy against you for ATD #8.