Come On Scotty!

Old
07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man View Post
(for the record, I think the talk that Lowe has been unable to improve through trades and UFAs is a bit out of proportion; he has traded for Joni Pitkänen and signed Souray and Tärnström which has directly addressed his most pressing needs).
I'd say his most pressing need is an experienced defenseman who can keep the puck out of the net. And a real first liner. And some leadership.

Quote:
Then what's the problem? If you argue that the low demand for RFAs will keep their salaries low, why are you bothered by this in the first place? Sounds like you're condradicting yourself a bit here.
No contradiction at all. Fact is someone has made an offer, and for at least the near term RFAs are going to earn a lot. And in the near term we have Getzlaf and Perry. And in the near term the Oilers have many promising soon-to-be RFAs too. And that it's a huge risk that didn't have to be taken.

Quote:
Again, Lowe has to overpay and hope the overpayment turns into a good contract. Otherwise the offer sheet is utterly pointless. Lowe obviously believes Penner will be worth his contract and more down the road, or we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Or he could have traded for Penner's rights and provided a reasonable contract. With a lower term and less risk. And not hurt his ability to re-sign his own RFAs in the future. And also think about the fact that to be worth the contract, not only does he have to perform to his contract in the last couple years, he has to outproduce that contract significantly to make up for underperforming the first 3 years.

Quote:
In my opinion the only safe bet about Gomez is that he won't live up to his contract. He's good, I'd like him on the Oilers, but he's not $7M good. He and Drury are going to eat up a very large chunk of cap space for a while without being the impact players they are paid to be. Gomez could, and probably will, improve, but he's a defensively suspect playmaker who has trouble producing at a PPG rate. If two years from now Dustin Penner outproduces Gomez, which is not unlikely at all, will Lowe still be an idiot?
I'd be very surprised if Penner outproduces Gomez pointwise, but he may be a more valuable overall player. His offensive ceiling is probably 60-70 points. And I wouldn't expect it to happen in 2 years. 4 maybe. Gomez with Jagr is going to get 80-90. But the point remains that you're extrapolating that Penner will improve greatly, which is no guarantee.

What it boils down to is you think there's very little chance that Penner won't reach 60 point, dominant forechecker status, while I and many Ducks fans think there is a decent chance he won't. Not a huge chance, but it's large enough to make this 4.25 million a bigger risk than may be worth it. Especially since this sets precedent that you may have to continue to take such risks with all your RFAs. Risk management.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

I think its crazy that scotty wants to retire @ a young age & in his prime, BUT I would respect the decsion for him to go out on top

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:24 PM
penny_lane

Teemu & S Neidermayer~ returning?

Greetings & salutations from the east; haven't
seen or read any updated news about your 2 mvp's;
do you all expect them next year?

Goofy rumblings about Teemu playing for the other PA team
in orange...true/false/total blasphemy?

looking forward to the ducks/pens game to start 07 off right.

penny_lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny lane View Post
Greetings & salutations from the east; haven't
seen or read any updated news about your 2 mvp's;
do you all expect them next year?

Goofy rumblings about Teemu playing for the other PA team
in orange...true/false/total blasphemy?

looking forward to the ducks/pens game to start 07 off right.
No news yet, but no news is good news.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
I'd say his most pressing need is an experienced defenseman who can keep the puck out of the net. And a real first liner. And some leadership.
Souray is experienced and adds a lot of leadership to that already provided by guys like Moreau, Staios and Stoll. While a lot of people call him a big pylon he is good on the PK and pretty decent positionally, although his skating leaves a bit to be desired. Therefore I only agree about the first-liner part.

Quote:
Or he could have traded for Penner's rights and provided a reasonable contract.
We don't know that.

Quote:
I'd be very surprised if Penner outproduces Gomez pointwise, but he may be a more valuable overall player. His offensive ceiling is probably 60-70 points. And I wouldn't expect it to happen in 2 years. 4 maybe. Gomez with Jagr is going to get 80-90. But the point remains that you're extrapolating that Penner will improve greatly, which is no guarantee.
Penner could potentially bag many more points on Jagr's line too. A better player than Gomez would get 100 points on Jagr's line (for the same dough) and while I don't believe that Penner will outproduce Gomez next season either, he may well do it during the duration of their respective contracts.

Quote:
What it boils down to is you think there's very little chance that Penner won't reach 60 point, dominant forechecker status, while I and many Ducks fans think there is a decent chance he won't.
I have never said that, but Lowe clearly sees the potential and I trust in his greater wisdom on this issue. The fact of the matter is that I haven't seen Penner play all that much, but when I've seen him he's always impressed me. If Lowe thinks Penner will be worth all the dollars he's just thrown at him then I don't have a problem with offering him the contract.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 710
SN is an awesome talent and a pleasure to watch. Will be sad to see him go if he decides to hangem up this year.

Gret99zky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Complaining Customer

I have the feeling Burke and the organisation know perfectly well about Scotty's decision and they'll be waiting until the beginning of the season to make a big fuss about it. Now, even if I was right, I'd still don't know what to think about the actual decision... What would make more sense? To delay the decision so to make a big NIEDERMAYER IS BACK splash, or to delay it to make a GOODBYE AND GOOD LUCK farewell party?

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:47 AM
ktulu98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
I have the feeling Burke and the organisation know perfectly well about Scotty's decision and they'll be waiting until the beginning of the season to make a big fuss about it. Now, even if I was right, I'd still don't know what to think about the actual decision... What would make more sense? To delay the decision so to make a big NIEDERMAYER IS BACK splash, or to delay it to make a GOODBYE AND GOOD LUCK farewell party?

dont see reason why they would all know what is situation and just wait and wait until training camp and then tell:back or good bye

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:18 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
dont see reason why they would all know what is situation and just wait and wait until training camp and then tell:back or good bye
I don't know really... marketing ploy?

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
I don't know really... marketing ploy?
No way he knows now, unless scotty told him recently. I believe that Scotty is positive he's going to retire, but he wants to wait tell the season comes around to make sure he doesn't change his mind.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote