Kunitz

Old
07-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Sandman33

vCash: 500
Kunitz

Who would you rather keep on your team.

Kunitz or Penner?

My personal opinion is unbiased bc of the recent Lowe signing.

Kunitz is very underrated and an asset to the team. I was actualy worried when they said that he wouldnt play most of the playoff games with his wrist/hand injury.

He is very agressive and hits a LOT. He doesnt take crap from anyone and is an all around more talented player than Penner. Much better hands and more agressive.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 08:56 PM
abax44

Penner. As the old saying goes, you can't teach size. Penner has got an abundance of it and knows how to use it to contain the puck. He needs to be a little meaner though and throw the weight around. I think Penner has more potential and that Kunitz is at his peak.

abax44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Sandman33

I like your point of view. But I dont think Kunitz is at his peak. He's only played one season and is still very young.

In fact I think he will learn to play smarter in the future as he gains experience. He's already talented enough to roll the first line if needed. Not that he deserves it, but his skills are comparable.

Old
07-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

I would keep Kunitz.

He's a lot of energy and as you said he doesn't take crap from anyone.

He was undrafted just like Penner and Macdonald. So I sure we can find another diamond in the rough..

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2007, 09:31 PM
abax44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman33 View Post
I like your point of view. But I dont think Kunitz is at his peak. He's only played one season and is still very young.

In fact I think he will learn to play smarter in the future as he gains experience. He's already talented enough to roll the first line if needed. Not that he deserves it, but his skills are comparable.
He's 27 now so these should be his "prime" years. He's got 2.25 seasons under his belt now.

Penner is 24 (I think), he should really start coming into his own. Playing with a guy like Bertuzzi should actually help his game as that's what Burke wants to see him become. He doesn't skate as well as Kunitz but that size, I just can't get past that.

I don't think Kunitz is a bad player, I just like what Penner brings to the table even more.

Old
07-28-2007, 11:49 PM
Mooseduck

Kunitz - no brainer.

Mooseduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 01:12 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Kunitz. I know you can't teach size, but Kunitz busts his b@!!$ every shift,

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 03:34 AM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

As my avatar would suggest, I'd stick with Kunitz. Kunie can be great if he can have a consistent offensive season. He was on pace for 40 goals for like the first third of the season. He cooled off a bit while Teemu started filling the net. If Dustin walks, he'll really need to be consistent all year. I'm totally confident Kunie can score 40 goals.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 04:17 AM
Elvs

I'd take Kunitz without a doubt. Kunitz is more overall skilled, has better hands, is more aggressive and he's twice as fast as Penner.

Elvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abax44 View Post
He's 27 now so these should be his "prime" years. He's got 2.25 seasons under his belt now.

Penner is 24 (I think), he should really start coming into his own. Playing with a guy like Bertuzzi should actually help his game as that's what Burke wants to see him become. He doesn't skate as well as Kunitz but that size, I just can't get past that.

I don't think Kunitz is a bad player, I just like what Penner brings to the table even more.
Kunitz brings alot more to the table at this moment. We'll pretty much be losing one of them, do you go with the safe guy who will may be cheaper? or the guy with 30-40 goal potential?

We won't be getting a 1st/2nd/3rd for Kunitz if he leaves. and I'm not sure if Penner would bring the same value next year via trade.

Burke doesn't want to pay him the money, he has said it's an overpayment so perhaps thats a hint about where he's leaning.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Ducks

I'd keep Kunitz, Penner may have a ton of potential but so far most of it seems relatively untapped. He needs to develop that killer instinct on the ice more, and I'm not completely confident that he will anytime soon.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Zymergist

I think Penner is a more talented player and has much more potential ...but...I question his heart a bit. Too many games out there Penner just looked invisible, and that is hard for a person of his size (even some games in the playoffs). When he is on, he dominates but he does not do that often enough.

Kunitz on the other hand, stepped onto the ice for a game in the Stanley Cup finals with 3 steel pins and a steel plate in his hand. He never slacks off, he always comes back to play D, he hustles his ass off. Sure, he may not be as talented as Penner, but if I had to choose between the two, he is the guy I want on my team without a doubt.

Just like you can't teach size, you also can not teach heart.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Talentless Practise*

I think at his point Kunitz's speed and hustle is more valuable to this team than Pens size. But on almost any other team i'd like Pens more.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 01:34 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Kunitz...lower contract...and a more determined player.

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Hussar
Donkeytoof

personally i liked when kunitz played with perry and getzlaf alot better than with penner. kunitz would forecheck like crazy and still be able to get back, which is something penner with his size is simply unable to do. penner is able to sheild the puck better and crash in the garbage goals, has more upside, and kunitz has more speed, actually lays hits, and is entering his prime NOW. gimme kuney.

Hussar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Sandman33

I guess Im not too far off the mark if so many people agree.

So in general if the people would rather have Kunitz...why are we so worried about Penner? Let him have his money in edmonton and bring up Ryan for a stint. He's a big kid too.

And what ever happened to Ryan Shannon? I really like that kid. Super fast skater that ate up loose pucks and quick hands. Kinda small, but I liked that about him.

Old
07-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

So in general if the people would rather have Kunitz...why are we so worried about Penner? Let him have his money in edmonton and bring up Ryan for a stint. He's a big kid too.

And what ever happened to Ryan Shannon? I really like that kid. Super fast skater that ate up loose pucks and quick hands. Kinda small, but I liked that about him.
It's questionable whether Ryan is ready or not, and considering his upside, it would be a lot better for his development to not rush him and place the expectations associated with a 2nd line role on him before he is able to contribute at that level.

Kunitz simply is just worth more to the Ducks at this point then Penner. His role in the Ducks offensive attack and on the first line isn't as easy to replace as Penner, especially at the super-affordable pricetag that Kunitz comes at.

Shannon was traded to Vancouver for Jason King, who incidentally will no doubt get a shot at replacing Penner on the second line if the Ducks chose not to match.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Hockey Duckie

Quote:

I think a lot of people, and mainly the Ducks' org, are concerned about Penner is because of a sentimental value (that goes with his potential). The Ducks' org researched and found him. They let him grow and develop at a good pace. They probably had lots of plans for him (and probably learn a thing or two from Big Bert). Alas, Penner will probably become an Oiler.

I'm also on the Kunitz bandwagon! Speed, loves to hit, has chemistry with line mates (both Andy-Teemu, and Getz-Perry) and the willingness to stand in front of the netminder on PP opportunities.

Penner's got hands and a big body, but doesn't use it to my view of his potential. Penner's kinda like Lupul in that way. Although, if Penner does become an Oil, then I hope the org doesn't ruin him like they did Lupul.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 04:22 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
I think a lot of people, and mainly the Ducks' org, are concerned about Penner is because of a sentimental value (that goes with his potential). The Ducks' org researched and found him. They let him grow and develop at a good pace. They probably had lots of plans for him (and probably learn a thing or two from Big Bert). Alas, Penner will probably become an Oiler.

I'm also on the Kunitz bandwagon! Speed, loves to hit, has chemistry with line mates (both Andy-Teemu, and Getz-Perry) and the willingness to stand in front of the netminder on PP opportunities.

Penner's got hands and a big body, but doesn't use it to my view of his potential. Penner's kinda like Lupul in that way. Although, if Penner does become an Oil, then I hope the org doesn't ruin him like they did Lupul.
Kunitz is like a smarter more talented Avery. Smarter in that he doesnt fight as much as Avery but still pisses everyone off on the other team.

I think Lupul will do quite well in Philly. The Oil didnt do well for him but Philly is rising up again.

Old
07-29-2007, 04:26 PM
abax44

Kunitz and Avery? That's a new one.

Old
07-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Sandman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by abax44 View Post
Kunitz and Avery? That's a new one.
I KNEW you were going to say that as soon as I saw the last post was from you.

They both really get under peoples skin and play with a LOT of agression. Avery just fights more and goes over the top. Kunitz knows when to back off, but he still fights a good bit too.

So yeah, to me they are somewhat similar. Kunitz is a little more talented all around though.

Old
07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

I view it more like having Kunitz, 1st, 2nd, 3rd in a deep draft for Penner and I think value wise we're better off.

If we can keep both and still sign Getzlaf and Perry , then it changes things but still he makes way too much money. The only way Burke should match is if he feels Penner will exceed the value of the contract within 2 or 3 years.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

I always likened Kunitz to Jason Blake.

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Akingnomore07*

this is just my opinion, but I think Kunitz is irreplaceable. He's small (not that small compared to AMac), fast, has great hands, and hits like a wrecking ball. He was the glue holding the Selanne-Mac line. Kunitz has a great work ethic and I think it'll help him reach his potential pretty soon.

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:45 AM
caliamad

Taking salaries into account, I'd say Kunitz right now.

Penner has potential be something Kunitz can never be though, a star in this league.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote