HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

San Jose and Ottawa trade proposal

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
San Jose and Ottawa trade proposal

My proposal is simple.

To San Jose: Martin Havlat

To Ottawa: Marco Sturm

Its not going to happen, but here is the reasoning. Ottawa is stacked at the RW position and anemic on the LW. San Jose is not necessarily stacked at the LW position, but they certainly need a 1st line RW.

Flame away. I actually like Sturm a little more, although I believe many GMs would value Havlat more than Marco. Both are fast and have a nose for the net. Sturm appears to be more of a leader to me (JMO).

Old
01-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Ozy_Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
My proposal is simple.

Its not going to happen, but here is the reasoning. Ottawa is stacked at the RW position and anemic on the LW. San Jose is not necessarily stacked at the LW position, but they certainly need a 1st line RW.

Flame away. I actually like Sturm a little more, although I believe many GMs would value Havlat more than Marco. Both are fast and have a nose for the net. Sturm appears to be more of a leader to me (JMO).
I like this one........Helps out both teams, especially Ottawa who sorrowly need a top-six left winger. I think Havlat would have a good run in San Jose.

Good job.

Old
01-01-2004, 11:49 PM
SJSharksFan

Damn, I want both in SJ!
I think its a good offer but watch out! PattyXXX is gonna give you the good ol "NO STURM FOR YOU" chant!

Old
01-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Alfie#11

Quote:
My proposal is simple.

I don't see the point for Ottawa.

Ottawa doesn't need a top 6 LW. They need a couple of bigger, gritty players that can play on the top 3 lines and a faceoff winning centre. They have enough offence as is. What is needed is players that can and will go to the net and do dirty work for the skilled players. If you look at what Ottawa throws out on the LW it has enough goals. Schaefer is on a 20 goal pace. Smolinski has played on the left side and he's another 20 goal guy. Fisher played LW in the playoffs last year and he's basically a 20 goal guy (15 in 58 and 18 in 74 the last two years). White has played LW and he's another 20 goal guy. Heck, Schastlivy with PP time and ice on the top two lines will score 20 (9 goals in 33 games as the 2nd line LW last year).

Havlat himself can play LW. He plays LW with Bonk and Hossa on the first PP unit.

The need for gritty but capable players is what led the Sens to acquire Varada and put him with Hossa and Bonk. Those two don't need a big scorer with them, rather they need a corner guy. Adding Varada worked - Bonk and Hossa had great playoffs. That's why the Sens were interested in Weimer. A big, tough player with enough ability to ride shotgun alongside the skilled guys.

Changing a skilled guy for another skilled guy doesn't help the Sens.

Old
01-02-2004, 01:37 AM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

Quote:
My proposal is simple.

Sturm's leadership qualities are exactly why SJ can't afford to trade him for Havlat. SJ needs him to help break in Ehrhoff and Patzoid and Goc, oh my!

Old
01-02-2004, 02:49 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharksFan
Damn, I want both in SJ!
I think its a good offer but watch out! PattyXXX is gonna give you the good ol "NO STURM FOR YOU" chant!
I'm also an Ottawa fan and give ya the ole "No Havlat for you!!" but the chants would cross and my head would explode. Its my dream to have both on one team...this trade just blows my mind.

01-02-2004, 03:42 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie#11

Ottawa doesn't need a top 6 LW.
This is what Ottawa needs more than anything (IMO). They do not have a true top 6 LWer, and Sturm would be the person that they have missed for so long. On top of that, I believe he is a better leader than Havlat and probably a better goal-scorer. Personally, I think Sturm is the better of the two players, but I know that I am probably alone in that sentiment. The trade addresses a need that both teams have. Like I said, its not going to happen, but I thought it was an equal enough proposal when I made it. I'd love to see Sturm on a contender, and I'd love to see Havlat finally get some big ice-time.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:34 PM
ModestoFan

Send a message via Yahoo to ModestoFan
Havlat had a great run last year, and he'll produve this year as well. As for Sturm, he is so integral in SJ, that it would be a silly proposal, like Havlat and a 1st and a 2nd to actually make it happen. (We all know it never would...)

IMO, Marco is a more complete player, and I can't see SJ losing him, unless it couldn't say no.

Old
01-02-2004, 07:47 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestoFan
Havlat had a great run last year, and he'll produve this year as well. As for Sturm, he is so integral in SJ, that it would be a silly proposal, like Havlat and a 1st and a 2nd to actually make it happen. (We all know it never would...)

IMO, Marco is a more complete player, and I can't see SJ losing him, unless it couldn't say no.
So your saying Sturm + a 1st and possibly even a 2nd round pick for Martin Havlat?? I'm sorry but that is extreme overpayment. I too think Sturm is the more complete player, but Havlat may very well have the highest trade value of the two. I could understand Sturm for Havlat and a 3rd, but a 1st and 2nd??? Thats way to much IMO. Like I said in my original post, I doubt this would ever happen (lets be honest what trade proposal here ever goes down), but I thought it was pretty close value wise, while still adressing team needs.

Old
01-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Strizzi

Quote:
So your saying Sturm + a 1st and possibly even a 2nd round pick for Martin Havlat?? I'm sorry but that is extreme overpayment. I too think Sturm is the more complete player, but Havlat may very well have the highest trade value of the two. I could understand Sturm for Havlat and a 3rd, but a 1st and 2nd??? Thats way to much IMO. Like I said in my original post, I doubt this would ever happen (lets be honest what trade proposal here ever goes down), but I thought it was pretty close value wise, while still adressing team needs.
That's probably the point he wants to bring across: Sturm is much more valuable to the Sharks than to ANY other team, and therefore you'd have to seriously overpay. No value wise fair trades for Sturm at this point...

Old
01-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Lexicon Devil

I'm a Sens fan who would shop Martin Havlat, but how is this deal even? Havlat is the better player and 2+ years younger.

Old
01-03-2004, 07:33 AM
Peter Griffin

Very solid proposal IMO. I do think that San Jose would have to add something to even it out a bit as I think Havlat is just as good as Sturm is now, but has the potential to be better.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:01 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
i like it. it's a good deal.

they both get something they need, and halvat could do wonder's for SJ.

definatly a good deal.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Ok lemme give my actual two cents about this deal. Yea its fairly close value-wise (with SJ prolly having to throw a 2nd or 3rd in to completely balance it) BUT its purely fantasy. If you want to see a guy who is untouchable in the NHL...its Sturm. The reason (for the hundreth time)for this is SJ's heavy investment in German talent. Guess who will be taking the mentor role when all of Ehrhoff, Goc, Patzold, Hospelt, and Ehelechner (If Hospelt does make it to the Bigs) make their way to San Jose? To top it off, he's a great player...no way can you move a guy who has such an impact to your team. But I'd love to see my second favorite player come to SJ but that'll never happen :mad: so I'm happy if he just stays in Ottawa.

Closed Thread