HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who won this fight?

Old
07-30-2007, 02:38 AM
Flyers Fan Forever

vCash: 500
Who won this fight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMX3XEeajg

Ron Hextall vs. Felix Potvin - November 10, 1996.

Every time I look at the YouTube comments when I watch this video, there's always constant argument as to who actually won the fight.

It's probably just Flyers and Leafs fans backing their team, but what do you think?

Personally I think Hextall won, even though the fight was really close and even though Hextall was cut. Call me a bad judge of hockey fights, but it looks to me like Hextall got more good shots in than Potvin, while Potvin got the best shot.

Advantage Hextall, I say.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 02:40 AM
Lupul*

Hextall

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 02:44 AM
Larry44

Hilarious.

Did you watch the fight? Hextall got the snot kicked out of him.

He flailed around and tried to throw a flurry that didn't connect, then Potvin nailed him with several devastating shots and opened him up.

The only category in which Hextall won this fight is "Bled most on opponent."

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Lupul*

Flyers won the game

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 02:54 AM
LePalle

Potvin won it, but goddammit i hate Leafs fans.

LePalle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:17 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
it was a good fight and i think hextall got more than he took, but he's tough, so he wasnt destroyed either. anyone else notice that hexy doesnt look at who he's punching? he just tucks his chin at his chest and starts throwing haymakers.

and i hate leafs fans too

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
CantSeeColors

Did either of them win? They both flailed around for a while and then hugged. Lots of excitement for nothing really.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Did either of them win? They both flailed around for a while and then hugged. Lots of excitement for nothing really.
Potvin cut Hexy's eye wide open, there was blood covering half his face.

In terms of hockey fights, if you nail a guy with one good one and leave him looking like Carrie at the Prom, you won.

Old
07-30-2007, 10:37 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Potvin won, because he knows what an uppercut is.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Mr Shanahan

I think Potvin won cuz he was so much smaller and he still owned Hextall.

And why do people hate leaf fans so much?

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:27 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
I think Potvin won cuz he was so much smaller and he still owned Hextall.

Because they don't know how to spell the plural of Leaf?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 12:57 PM
MojoJojo

Potvin wins. Most of both players punches were ineffective, but Potvin seemed to connect a little more with his.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 01:09 PM
mercury

I thought that was pretty much a draw. Hextall landed a bunch of shots early on, but Potvin took them well and responded with slightly cleaner shots before they both got gassed. Really good fight for two goalies.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 01:14 PM
legionOfdoom

It pains me to say it, but Potvin won that fight. Hextalls fist for the most part loooked like they were moving half the speed of potvin's.

legionOfdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
BGDDYKWL

This one's definitely a classic. Reason why you have such glaring differences of opinion is obviously because it involved the Leafs and Flyers. While I'm one of the few people who is actually a fan of both teams, I must admit at that time I was definitely more of a Flyers fan. That being said, this one essentially comes down to how one scores a fight. To me this one's quite even, until Hextall skates away and is pouring. I've spoken to plenty of people who disagree with me on this, but damage counts for something, and IMO is the deciding factor here. Both guys landed some clean shots, and threw about the same amount, but when the dust settled one guy had a huge cut and the other didn't. Seeing Hextall race across the ice and attack Potvin sure was awesome though.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
BringBackStevens

Potvin, but it definitely wasn't a beating as someone earlier said

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
This one's definitely a classic. Reason why you have such glaring differences of opinion is obviously because it involved the Leafs and Flyers. While I'm one of the few people who is actually a fan of both teams, I must admit at that time I was definitely more of a Flyers fan. That being said, this one essentially comes down to how one scores a fight. To me this one's quite even, until Hextall skates away and is pouring. I've spoken to plenty of people who disagree with me on this, but damage counts for something, and IMO is the deciding factor here. Both guys landed some clean shots, and threw about the same amount, but when the dust settled one guy had a huge cut and the other didn't. Seeing Hextall race across the ice and attack Potvin sure was awesome though.
That's my argument though. Sure, Hexy was bleeding, but did it seem to affect him? In my mind you've only "won" a fight if you knock the other guy on his back.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Heske_44

Hextall was throwing like a drunk Seal and connected on but a couple throws that didnt do much damage at all. I'll give the split decision to Potvin.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Did you watch the fight? Hextall got the snot kicked out of him.

He flailed around and tried to throw a flurry that didn't connect, then Potvin nailed him with several devastating shots and opened him up.
I gotta ask if you watched the fight? At the end of the clip, they re-play it in slow motion, and it's very clear that Hextall lands some good shots at the begining of the fight. He lands his second punch clean, then grazes on the third. Once then spin around and Hextall's back is turining twards the camera, he lands two nasty shots, and possibly a third. Potvin gets major points for not going down right here.

Potvin then takes control of the fight. At that point, Hextall is exhausted, and Potvin lets him have it for a while.

Potvin wins because he tagged Hextall with a shot which opened him up, but if not for this shot it's a draw. To say Hextall got "the snot kicked out of him" is being intelectually dishonest.

Drawing blood gets you major points. If you draw blood, unless you get the living **** beat out of you in the process (or get your own blood drawn), you are going to win the fight.

I think some Flyers fans get so defensive about this because it's Hextall. He was a maniac, and damn fun to watch fight, but everybody loses sometimes.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Witter

Win Potvin, At first it looked as if Hextall was gonna take it but all his shots were coming up short and hitting potvins shoulder

Witter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1638
I'd like to say that the tie goes to the runner, or skater in this case , but that wouldn't be true. It was nearly a draw but I'll give a slight edge to Potvin.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
CavemanLawyer

I consider it a draw. I dont factor in cuts or anything. A glancing blow can cause a cut, and you'd declare them the winner? Hell in boxing there have been A LOT of guys with broken ears, cut up faces, or hell in Pride last year Diaz won with a broken orbital bone. Judges don't factor in damages...so... no damage factoring for me.

That said, they both flailed around and swung wildly, nothing great. Draw i'd say.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML4ever View Post
For the same reason many fans hate the Flyers so much.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
I gotta ask if you watched the fight? At the end of the clip, they re-play it in slow motion, and it's very clear that Hextall lands some good shots at the begining of the fight. He lands his second punch clean, then grazes on the third. Once then spin around and Hextall's back is turining twards the camera, he lands two nasty shots, and possibly a third. Potvin gets major points for not going down right here.

Potvin then takes control of the fight. At that point, Hextall is exhausted, and Potvin lets him have it for a while.

Potvin wins because he tagged Hextall with a shot which opened him up, but if not for this shot it's a draw. To say Hextall got "the snot kicked out of him" is being intelectually dishonest.

Drawing blood gets you major points. If you draw blood, unless you get the living **** beat out of you in the process (or get your own blood drawn), you are going to win the fight.

I think some Flyers fans get so defensive about this because it's Hextall. He was a maniac, and damn fun to watch fight, but everybody loses sometimes.
Hexy flailed away and then Potvin got a hold of him and hammered him with several shots. Felix was a very strong guy - apparently his father and uncles were all strongmen and he got the genes. It's not that Hexy wasn't trying, but I don't see how anyone could say he won that fight.

I'm a Flyer fan and I saw the game live and said the same thing at the time.

If you split the guy's whole eyebrow right open with a clean right hand and send him covered in blood back to the room for stitches, you win the fight. The rest is wrestling.

And that camera angle didn't really show how bloody Hexy's face was as the angles they showed at the time. The Leaf players loved seeing Hexy get one. He was nutbar and he was one of my favourite players at the time, but there's not denying he got humiliated in that fight.

At the end, I'm sure I could lip read the Cat saying, "What are you gonna do, BLEED on me?"

Old
07-31-2007, 03:38 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Hexy flailed away and then Potvin got a hold of him and hammered him with several shots. Felix was a very strong guy - apparently his father and uncles were all strongmen and he got the genes. It's not that Hexy wasn't trying, but I don't see how anyone could say he won that fight.

I'm a Flyer fan and I saw the game live and said the same thing at the time.

If you split the guy's whole eyebrow right open with a clean right hand and send him covered in blood back to the room for stitches, you win the fight. The rest is wrestling.

And that camera angle didn't really show how bloody Hexy's face was as the angles they showed at the time. The Leaf players loved seeing Hexy get one. He was nutbar and he was one of my favourite players at the time, but there's not denying he got humiliated in that fight.

At the end, I'm sure I could lip read the Cat saying, "What are you gonna do, BLEED on me?"
I don't disagree with anything you wrote here, only what you said before that Hextall got the snot beat out of him. Hextall got about 4 good shots in before he tired himself out and Potvin took over and landed one which split his face open. Hextall tagged him with two which should have taken Potvin down, but didn't which gets Felix bonus points. I simply take issue with your contention that it was a one sided fight.

You post over at O&B.net, I know who you are, and have respect for your posts. I saw this fight live as well. Hextall lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44
Agreed.

Unless you get the living crap beaten out of you in the process, if you split someone open, and you stay blood free yourself, you win.

Potvin impressed durring that fight. Hextall probably underestimated him a bit, and it cost him.

Anyway, the fight was over 10 years ago, there are other things much more worthy of discussion.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote