HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Proposal: Buffalo - Calgary

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 09:53 AM
RoyIsALegend*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Buffalo - Calgary

To Calgary:
C Curtis Brown
2004 BUF 4th round pick

To Buffalo:
D Denis Gauthier

Fills both teams' needs, although Brown's salary may be somewhat worriesome for the Flames. He does provide great penalty killing, face-off ability and is a good playmaker as well. However, I expect to hear how Calgary gets boned and Gauthier is worth so much more.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
To Calgary:
C Curtis Brown
2004 BUF 4th round pick

To Buffalo:
D Denis Gauthier

Fills both teams' needs, although Brown's salary may be somewhat worriesome for the Flames. He does provide great penalty killing, face-off ability and is a good playmaker as well. However, I expect to hear how Calgary gets boned and Gauthier is worth so much more.
I think that's a pretty fair proposal, and Brown could replace a potential soon-to-be-departed-UFA Craig Conroy next year. Brown could maybe "pull a Conroy" and put up a few more numbers in Calgary, who knows.

If I were Sutter though, I'd try and go for Dumont instead. But Calgary needs centers, so Brown would slide in nicely.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Takeo

Quote:
To Calgary:
C Curtis Brown
2004 BUF 4th round pick

To Buffalo:
D Denis Gauthier

I've proposed a similar deal several times. Although I don't think Buffalo has a 4th rounder in 2004... Make it a 3rd.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:27 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Brown and Connolly for Gauthier.....

Screw giving up anymore 3rd round picks.....I think we know what happens there......

Old
01-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
To Calgary:
C Curtis Brown
2004 BUF 4th round pick

To Buffalo:
D Denis Gauthier

Doesn't bother me from a Sabre perspective. But like Takeo said, that 4th belongs to Phoenix now. Do you want the Coyotes' 3rd rounder instead at the added cost of an 8th in 2004 coming our way?

Old
01-04-2004, 10:40 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
I think that's a pretty fair proposal, and Brown could replace a potential soon-to-be-departed-UFA Craig Conroy next year. Brown could maybe "pull a Conroy" and put up a few more numbers in Calgary, who knows.

If I were Sutter though, I'd try and go for Dumont instead. But Calgary needs centers, so Brown would slide in nicely.
You would have to add Nystrom at least if you wanted Dumont.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:43 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
You would have to add Nystrom at least if you wanted Dumont.
...or replace Gauthier with Regehr.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:52 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
...or replace Gauthier with Regehr.
I like Lydman more myself, but Regehr would be nice.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Ozy_Flame

Ha. You guys can keep Dumont if he costs either Regehr or Nystrom. No dice.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:58 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Ha. You guys can keep Dumont if he costs either Regehr or Nystrom. No dice.
I think the Sabres would anyway.....Sabres wouldn't have much of a need for Nystrom......the team needs defense, on the team and in the system. Very lacking in that category.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Atma

Send a message via Yahoo to Atma
Derek Roy has the potential to take over what Brown is doing now, so I'd do that trade. However, I don't think Buffalo has the 3rd that they got from Phoenix, I think they wasted that on Delmore.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atma
Derek Roy has the potential to take over what Brown is doing now, so I'd do that trade. However, I don't think Buffalo has the 3rd that they got from Phoenix, I think they wasted that on Delmore.

They traded their own 3rd for Delmore, so sayeth this year's edition of the official NHL guide and record book which usually gets these things right.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:18 PM
zoidberg

I think this has been proposed before but I like it.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:38 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
no. i like Brown. only hard working, heartful sabre out there. but from a fair standpoint, i think you could get away with that without the pick, probably. but basically fair.

Dumont is NOT going ANYWHERE. his been consistant and effective.

Old
01-04-2004, 01:38 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Quote:
To Calgary:
C Curtis Brown
2004 BUF 4th round pick

To Buffalo:
D Denis Gauthier

The only way the Sabres could do that is if a defenseman's going to Calgary.

How about we change the 3rd for Delmore and McMorrow?

Old
01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Ozy_Flame

[QUOTE=eSabre]The only way the Sabres could do that is if a defenseman's going to Calgary.
QUOTE]

Why? We have an abundance of them. If anything, defensemen are our most tradeable asset. It's long been discussed that a logical Flames trade would be to trade one of their blueliners for a forward.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:48 PM
ForeignFlame

Original proposal is quite fair. Curtis Brown is a guy that's always intrigued me. I think he could do well in Calgary.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Stephen

What about getting Dumont and Connolly out of Buffalo? I know Brown's a useful player, but if I were Calgary, I'd be looking for some young forwards to build around Iginla with Conroy, Gelinas? and others leaving after this year. Calgary would do well to get some more skill up front, I really don't like what they have.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
They traded their own 3rd for Delmore, so sayeth this year's edition of the official NHL guide and record book which usually gets these things right.
Correct. The Sabres swapped their 4th for a 3rd in the Gratton/Briere deal (hard to believe, I know). Then they traded their own 3rd for Delmore.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Super-Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
What about getting Dumont and Connolly out of Buffalo? I know Brown's a useful player, but if I were Calgary, I'd be looking for some young forwards to build around Iginla with Conroy, Gelinas? and others leaving after this year. Calgary would do well to get some more skill up front, I really don't like what they have.
Actually, Gelinas' has 1 more year on his contract for alot less money. When the deal was made, the CBA obviously came to mine.

As for the proposal, I like it. While I like Gauthier and would miss his hard hits, we need a center and scoring, and while Brown's not a scoring machine, he does seem to put up decent points consistantly.

Old
01-06-2004, 01:25 AM
SabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Dumont rules, his doing great things. but Connelly. well. have him.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:04 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Maybe it's just me, but I don't like Gauthier enough to part with Brown and a pick.

Gauthier is Jay McKee with an accent. Plus, his inability to play a full 82 game schedule worries me as well.

If he were a right handed shot, then I'd be higher on adding him as well. The Sabres are already playing Zhitnik out of position on the right side. They don't need another.

Plus, Ruff has already said that he doesn't want to carry 8 defensemen on the NHL roster.

Old
01-06-2004, 02:57 AM
SabresRule

well said Jimbob. true.

we need some 3rd line grinders like draper (18G, offensive upside). i want to get rid of Maxim and Pyatt, get some 3rd line grinders with offensive upside.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:21 AM
Sled2300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
well said Jimbob. true.

we need some 3rd line grinders like draper (18G, offensive upside). i want to get rid of Maxim and Pyatt, get some 3rd line grinders with offensive upside.
The one thing Calgary has is third line grinders. Clark, Green, Betts, and Donovan (despite his recent OF explosion).

Calgary needs some consistent 2nd line scoring. Tough order I know.

What is the story behind Maxim? Soft? Inconsistent? DF liability?

Brown from what I understand is a pretty solid two way center and has some OF upside. What is the story on Pyatt?

Three things that have been very clear with what Sutter wants for the Flames are Size, Speed and Defensive ability. If these guys fit the bill I'm sure that Sutter would be interested. Aside from possibily Gauthier there is not much in lines of trade bait other then possibily Clark.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:50 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
What is the story behind Maxim? Soft? Inconsistent? DF liability?
World class wheels.

AHL calibre hands.

Max creates a ton of havoc with his blazing speed. He just doesn't have the hands or hockey sense to really use his linemates well and be consistently productive offensively.

The one good thing is that he's a fan favorite because he is fun to watch play the game.

And, he's improved defensively and is a +4 this year. In fact, there is a story in today's Buffalo News about Max and how he's gotten closer to playing the way Ruff wants him to.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...06/1055753.asp

Closed Thread