Notices

Kovalchuck to EDM rumour (EKLUND)

Old
07-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Kovalchuck to EDM rumour (EKLUND)

www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8768

Looking into reports that Kovalchuk may be the player that Lowe was referring to last week when he said there was a difference maker that he was surprised was available...Looking for confimation now...As of now I have not heard this rumour from any of my trusted sources

Anything in the local Atlanta media?
I can't see EDM in the running for Kovalchyck(if he is available). The starting point for him would have to include Hemsky which would make the trade useless for EDM as then we would have Kovy as a shooter but no playmaker, and a crap load more cap space gone.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:51 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8768

Looking into reports that Kovalchuk may be the player that Lowe was referring to last week when he said there was a difference maker that he was surprised was available...Looking for confimation now...As of now I have not heard this rumour from any of my trusted sources

Anything in the local Atlanta media?
I can't see EDM in the running for Kovalchyck(if he is available). The starting point for him would have to include Hemsky which would make the trade useless for EDM as then we would have Kovy as a shooter but no playmaker, and a crap load more cap space gone.
If you have to choose between getting Kovalchuk and keeping Hemsky and someone else, I think you have to take Kovalchuk. You know you're getting 100 pts and/or 35 goals at least... can you say that about any 1 Oiler? Or even 2 combined not named Hemsky?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

I can see Hossa leaving. I don't see Kovalchuk leaving. I definitely don't see how DW could justify the loss of both to the ticket buying public. Losing both Hossa and Kovalchuk would lead to catastrophic failure for the Atlanta hockey market.

Therefore, this is Eklund throwing darts.

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Willis

Yes we discussed this in the Edmonton board. If anyone leaves it would be Hossa. Then again it sounds like Eklund is now making up his own rumors.

Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBud View Post
If you have to choose between getting Kovalchuk and keeping Hemsky and someone else, I think you have to take Kovalchuk. You know you're getting 100 pts and/or 35 goals at least... can you say that about any 1 Oiler? Or even 2 combined not named Hemsky?
It would be like Buffalo losing Vanek. Who would we put on the billboards? Hemsky? Please...

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:05 PM
toastman344*

considering kovalchuk is atalnats superstar, it would take a lot to pry him out..something prolly like this

to edm:
kovalchuk
5th rounder in 08
to atlanta:
hemsky
stoll
1st rounder in 08
3rd rounder in 08

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastman344 View Post
considering kovalchuk is atalnats superstar, it would take a lot to pry him out..something prolly like this

to edm:
kovalchuk
5th rounder in 08
to atlanta:
hemsky
stoll
1st rounder in 08
3rd rounder in 08
Edmonton would definetly pass on that. As others have said, I dont see Hossa moving, and if he did, I dont see the Oilers being the team to get him.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:08 PM
McNasty

In all fairness to Eklund he did say he hasn't heard anything from any of his trusted sources, all he said was it could be Kovalchuk.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:18 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37 View Post
It would be like Buffalo losing Vanek. Who would we put on the billboards? Hemsky? Please...
No... if you're Atlanta, you laugh at Lowe each and every one of Kovy's 50+ goals. I was saying if you're EDM, you take it and runnnnnn, even if you have to part with Hemsky +.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:21 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
In all fairness to Eklund he did say he hasn't heard anything from any of his trusted sources, all he said was it could be Kovalchuk.
It *could* also be me.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:33 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Well, then don't post Kovalchuk, don't guess...you'll gain more credibility with us if you stop guessing...I know for a fact that I can predict trades like that, by saying "player A, fits in slot A on team B" and make up a rumor by it...if he'd use whatever sources he has and stop playing "draw the player/team out of the hat" with every minute thing he hears he'd have such a better rep...

Mike Farkas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare889 View Post
Hemsky is NOT going ANYWHERE.

Kovalchuk is NOT going ANYWHERE.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:31 PM
aristotle siltanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of the Rodeo View Post
Kovalchuk is NOT going ANYWHERE.
is that just like pitkanen?

aristotle siltanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle siltanen View Post
Same could be said of Hemsky then, too.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 09:41 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristotle siltanen View Post
Kovalchuk has actually lived up to his potential .

Ales Hemsky is a glorified Nikolai Zherdev, if that.

Atlanta could get better then whatever Edmonton would be willing to offer. It would be a franchise player for franchise player type trade and last time I checked the Oilers have ZERO superstars to offer.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 07-30-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old
07-30-2007, 10:19 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Is this what Eklund has sunk to? Following up on the truth of rumors that he started himself.

1. With Hossa on the verge of being a UFA next year, why would the Thrashers consider moving their only real marketable star after him?

2. Why would they want to make a trade with a team that has only one young offensive star of note?

The Thrashers and Oilers make rotten trade partners. The Thrashers would want defensively sound defenseman, the Oilers have only one on their team to begin with.

The Thrashers need to bolster their top line C's, and Edmonton doesn't have many strong offensive players at all.

The Thrashers are looking to make the playoffs again. I don't see many pieces on Edmonton that would make up for the loss of Ilya and improve their chances of winning hockey games.

This is just another ploy by Eklund to drive large amounts of Canadian web traffic to his site, I would rate this one a E0

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:04 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:

Atlanta could get better then whatever Edmonton would be willing to offer. It would be a franchise player for franchise player type trade and last time I checked the Oilers have ZERO superstars to offer.
Oh God, I can hear the entire population of Edmonton logging onto their computers. Prepare to be flamed endlessly if this gets out.

But I agree. Hemsky may pull off the occasional fancy move, but isn't the superstar some fantasize that he is. Very soft. But certainly worth 4 mil a season.

And regarding him not going anywhere... considering Lowe let Smyth walk then whipped out two offer sheets in less than the span of a year, anything is possible with Edmonton these days.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:21 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
But I agree. Hemsky may pull off the occasional fancy move, but isn't the superstar some fantasize that he is. Very soft. But certainly worth 4 mil a season.
Based on what Hartnell and Penner will be getting, I guess he is worth $4 million/year. Last year he managed to equal what Ilya did his rookie season in points.

Hemsky and Stoll would be a starting point for any discussions, there are better trading partners for the Thrashers IF they were to deal Ilya right now.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

No way does Atlanta deal Kovalchuk. Wait a minute...let me correct myself: there is no way in HELL Atlanta deals Kovalchuk. This is just hogwash.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Norm MacDonald

The only way Atlanta deals Kovalchuk is if he asks for a trade, but I definately can see that happening.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 01:54 AM
NoTradeClause

Quote:

. It would be a franchise player for franchise player type trade and last time I checked the Oilers have ZERO superstars to offer.
I wish that were true, the asking price for superstars isn't what it used to be. Just look at what we got for Pronger, a mediocre roster player, a solid prospect and some draft picks. All of us in Edmonton were hoping we'd get a superstar back but it never happened.**SIGH**

NoTradeClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 02:00 AM
stazza18
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krush26 View Post
I wish that were true, the asking price for superstars isn't what it used to be. Just look at what we got for Pronger, a mediocre roster player, a solid prospect and some draft picks. All of us in Edmonton were hoping we'd get a superstar back but it never happened.**SIGH**
Oiler fans who bring up Pronger and Pitkanen seem to be forgetting one thing. Both players wanted out of their current team. I don't believe that is the case here.

stazza18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:48 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:

Yikes. I'm not a Oilers fan, but that is a pretty low blow. Are you sure you've seen Hemsky play? It doesn't appear so.

loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:57 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:

*Reads*

*Gets dumber*

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by krush26 View Post

Kovalchuk is 24. Pronger was 31. A young franchise forward will get them more then you guys got when you traded Pronger.