07-31-2007, 08:15 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
*Reads*

*Gets dumber*
You can make all the comments you want but it still doesn't make Ales Hemsky a great player.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Boognish

vCash: 500
I apologize. I think this rumor may have started when I mentioned that I was looking forward to seeing what the Thrashers would get for Kovalchuk when I was clowning on the Hossa trade thread.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 08:20 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by loadie View Post
Yikes. I'm not a Oilers fan, but that is a pretty low blow. Are you sure you've seen Hemsky play? It doesn't appear so.
How is that a low blow? A low blow would be saying that he is a glorified Patrik Stefan.

Old
07-31-2007, 08:27 AM
bigm27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
The only way Atlanta deals Kovalchuk is if he asks for a trade, but I definately can see that happening.
We as fans are amazed and hurt when one of our favourite players asks for a trade or it's leaked out in the paper that so and so asked for a trade last year. This is a business to most players and they'll go where they think they can get the most $$$$ (I say most not all).

bigm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:35 AM
srf575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of the Rodeo View Post
Kovalchuk has actually lived up to his potential .

Ales Hemsky is a glorified Nikolai Zherdev, if that.

Atlanta could get better then whatever Edmonton would be willing to offer. It would be a franchise player for franchise player type trade and last time I checked the Oilers have ZERO superstars to offer.
You've gotta watch Hemsky play.. not just highlights from ESPN. A year from now, you may feel awful embarrased at this statement

srf575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:44 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srf575 View Post
You've gotta watch Hemsky play.. not just highlights from ESPN. A year from now, you may feel awful embarrased at this statement
Yeah man, he's only had 4 years in the league to develop (not counting lockout year). Players this amazing don't get to the 100 point plateau until they are 40. He's like a fine wine.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 09:53 AM
srf575

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Yeah man, he's only had 4 years in the league to develop (not counting lockout year). Players this amazing don't get to the 100 point plateau until they are 40. He's like a fine wine.
There's only a handful of players in the League that put up those kind of numbers. That's a weak statement. It's not worth arguing about.. this deal won't happen anyways.. Good luck in 07-08

Old
07-31-2007, 09:57 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

this is funny

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:07 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:
How is that a low blow? A low blow would be saying that he is a glorified Patrik Stefan.
wow...your on meth if think Hemsky is a Zherdev....How stupid is that...Try watching some hockey before you start out with diarrhea of the mourh

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:33 AM
CCCP

1. Kovalchuk is not being traded!
2. Eklund is an idiot!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:

seriously if you watched even a game of the Oilers in the '06 playoffs you would know better... but why bother

Last edited by btn: 07-31-2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Deleted offensive remarks
bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 11:06 AM
kurtcobang

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastman344 View Post
considering kovalchuk is atalnats superstar, it would take a lot to pry him out..something prolly like this

to edm:
kovalchuk
5th rounder in 08
to atlanta:
hemsky
stoll
1st rounder in 08
3rd rounder in 08
this is the funniest trade idea i have ever heard.

kurtcobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 11:08 AM
srf575

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
2. Eklund is an idiot!
Hear Hear!

Old
07-31-2007, 11:39 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Based on what Hartnell and Penner will be getting, I guess he is worth $4 million/year. Last year he managed to equal what Ilya did his rookie season in points.

Hemsky and Stoll would be a starting point for any discussions, there are better trading partners for the Thrashers IF they were to deal Ilya right now.
I can more easily see Smid, Stoll, Schremp and Ana's 1st for Kovalchuk.

The oil have depth to absorb that loss and Atlanta has no depth and could really use a d prospect like smid on the back end. Stoll would be a great addition at 2nd line center and Schremp and the 1st will help Atl recover from last years trade deadline.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:16 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

Where does this guy get his rumors from, I think he has gone insane. A definate E5

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Left Of The Dial

Hemsky can only dream of putting up numbers like Kovalchuk has.

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:18 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

1st off. Hemsky will be great and will be a star.

2nd. There is no chance of Atlanta trading Kovalchuk. In a town they are still trying to sell the team on, you don't move a prime ticket-seller, the summer after making the playoffs for the first time. Poor business sense.

I'd be shocked if you moved Hossa or Kovvy.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastman344 View Post
considering kovalchuk is atalnats superstar, it would take a lot to pry him out..something prolly like this

to edm:
kovalchuk
5th rounder in 08
to atlanta:
hemsky
stoll
1st rounder in 08
3rd rounder in 08
That 5th rounder in 08 really seals the deal eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krush26 View Post
I wish that were true, the asking price for superstars isn't what it used to be. Just look at what we got for Pronger, a mediocre roster player, a solid prospect and some draft picks. All of us in Edmonton were hoping we'd get a superstar back but it never happened.**SIGH**
That's funny because our GM managed to get us Hossa when our superstar wanted out.

Look people Kovalchuk is afford and the face of the franchise.
He is going nowhere.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:44 PM
ManlyStanley*

kovy is going nowhere...

ManlyStanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:46 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
seriously if you watched even a game of the Oilers in the '06 playoffs you would know better... but why bother
That was a great run from the 8 spot in the West in 2006, of course you had one of the best defenseman in the NHL on your team at that point...and getting 30+ minutes out of a great defenseman covers up alot of weak spots. And obviously the team was flawed enough to squeak into the playoffs at the 8th seed to begin with.

However that run also left you with a vastly overpaid Fernando Pisani, who I notice you guys attempt to pawn off on any team you are rumored to be in trade talks with.

To be honest, I just cannot see why you would even consider Ales Hemsky untouchable. Yes, he had one great year with 70+ points, other than that...I really don't see all that much...a middle of the pack top line winger. If you want to add a great player, you have to give something up in return.

I would also caution any other Edmonton visitors to lay off the southern stereotypes. Many of us here have been following hockey since we were young, and some have been NHL fans longer than you have been alive.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Bro, I know what I'm talking about.

2006 was 2006. Ask Ranger, Canuck, and Avalanche fans about Prucha, Carter, and Svatos in 2006.

and remember, just because you play for a NHL team in Canada doesn't make you an all-star

Old
07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
2. Eklund is an idiot! (e5)
Fixed.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 02:04 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
2. Eklund is an idiot!
1. Well, not to Edmonton, but it's far from an impossibility. Bigger names have been traded, and superstars have been traded from Atlanta. I do think that if either Hossa or Kovalchuk goes, it's going to be Hossa due to his contract status, but Waddell's #1 concern is (or should be) improving the team, and it doesn't always mean getting the biggest star you can for your player. If he can get a better return for Kovalchuk than Hossa, then who knows.

2. Agreed 100%

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
That was a great run from the 8 spot in the West in 2006, of course you had one of the best defenseman in the NHL on your team at that point...and getting 30+ minutes out of a great defenseman covers up alot of weak spots. And obviously the team was flawed enough to squeak into the playoffs at the 8th seed to begin with.

However that run also left you with a vastly overpaid Fernando Pisani, who I notice you guys attempt to pawn off on any team you are rumored to be in trade talks with.

To be honest, I just cannot see why you would even consider Ales Hemsky untouchable. Yes, he had one great year with 70+ points, other than that...I really don't see all that much...a middle of the pack top line winger. If you want to add a great player, you have to give something up in return.

I would also caution any other Edmonton visitors to lay off the southern stereotypes. Many of us here have been following hockey since we were young, and some have been NHL fans longer than you have been alive.
The Stanley Cup run comment was made specifically in reference to someones opinion on Hemsky. IMO he's an all world player, he could easily be a 90pt guy for a lot of years.
As for Kovalchuk. He'll leave Atlanta soon enough, but he's not coming to Edmonton, I have no doubt about that. He would'nt fit our team dynamic and our management is'nt heading in that direction.
This is a shot in the dark from Eklund.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
The Stanley Cup run comment was made specifically in reference to someones opinion on Hemsky. IMO he's an all world player, he could easily be a 90pt guy for a lot of years.
How many 90 point guys go from 70 points to 50 points when they are 24?

I think you are setting the expectations way too high on him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote