HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The New York Rangers at The Pittsburgh Penguins 03/01/04

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Mitchy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
I'm not impressed yet. Win 7 in a row and I may start cheering again.
I don't think anyone should be impressed/satisfied right now. Good road trip, but what sucks even more is knowing that this team could have gone 4-0 if they just played smart and if Dunham didn't suck.

Another take on the game, I really didn't like the line combos. We've been saying this the past few games that Kovalev's gotta be tried with Lindros now and Barnaby should be with Holik. I didn't like the idea of Kovy playing with Mess, mostly because I didn't want him getting more minutes and he did today. I think Ortmeyer should be placed with Nedved and Carter, or maybe put him with Rucinsky and Holik as part of a checking unit. How about:

Simon Lindros Kovalev
Rheume Nedved Carter
Rucinsky Holik Ortmeyer
LaCouture Mess Barnaby

Old
01-03-2004, 07:59 PM
NCalFan

How many people out there have center ice and saqw the game today. I got the Pittsburg broadcast from Fox and they had Bob Errey on doing color. If the game comes from Canada I ussually get TSN. It has been interesting to hear what other team broadcasts have to say about the Rangers. I'd love to hear what any body else is hearing. Errey called the Rangers very talented but an extremely undisciplined team. His reporting was suprisingly even handed given some of the homers that are out there (St Louis, Phoenix).

Old
01-04-2004, 03:34 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrforever
I don't think anyone should be impressed/satisfied right now. Good road trip, but what sucks even more is knowing that this team could have gone 4-0 if they just played smart and if Dunham didn't suck.

Another take on the game, I really didn't like the line combos. We've been saying this the past few games that Kovalev's gotta be tried with Lindros now and Barnaby should be with Holik. I didn't like the idea of Kovy playing with Mess, mostly because I didn't want him getting more minutes and he did today. I think Ortmeyer should be placed with Nedved and Carter, or maybe put him with Rucinsky and Holik as part of a checking unit. How about:

Simon Lindros Kovalev
Rheume Nedved Carter
Rucinsky Holik Ortmeyer
LaCouture Mess Barnaby
Right now I'd go with-

Simon-Lindros-Kovalev
Rucinsky-Nedved-Carter
Rheume-Holik-Ortmeyer
Lacouture-Mess-Barnaby

Let's see if Rosie can get something going w/Nedved-Carter

Old
01-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Fletch

I'd keep Rosie with Holik...

of course that screws up Nedved, but, Holik's success throughout his career has been with a grinder, and a skilled guy, and he has gone against top lines. Not only has he been able to shut them down, but his lines have generated some offense too.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Fletch

I know klingsor...

but it is amazing how a team can suck so much and put together 3 wins out of 4 on the road (and they actually had a decent effort against a good Blues team - of course that's negated by the usual mantal mistakes). Further, I am really just comparing this year to previous years in my statement. I'm still not saying if they're good or not, just that previous years I remember similar roadtrips during the Holiday season and I would've expected one or two points, and no wins.

Old
01-04-2004, 03:39 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
just that previous years I remember similar roadtrips during the Holiday season and I would've expected one or two points, and no wins.
True 'dat. Certainly true 'dat. Sam & JD maid an observation that they thought that the team just lost all steam and were dead tired. That would certainly support that at least the defense was tired to begin with and then to have to go down to 5 players. 5 games in 7 nights basically. One can think that either the team really was bone tired or they just got that outhustled by the Pens. I'd like to believe that at least there is some element of the former. We'll see on Monday. Day game at Pitt, then they should have been able to get hom at a decent time on Saturday night and have gotten 2 nights worth of rest before the Calgary game.
Anyway, back to the game. Jussi clealy saved the day. As I started to say in the previous paragraph, Sam & JD said that the playoff teams have nights that they have nothing in the tank, but find ways to win games. Well, at least last night, they found a way to win. Granted, had it been Colarado of Philly on the PP, the outcome may have been different, but still.... I remember an Ottawa game early in the year when they came to the Garden, drained from a roadtrip. Some people tried to make an excuse as to that being the reason that they played poorly in a loss to NY. Mayhaps that can be a reason for the poor play of rather everyone not named Ortmeyer? But they found a way to win.
Speaking of Ortmeyer, wow is the kid impressing. I doubt that he really will turn out to be another Deadmarsh, like Messier said. I just don't see how he has the offensive skills that Deader has. But in everything else, Ortmeyer has done great. To me, there is not reason not to think that he cannot turn into a slightly bigger version of Kris Drapper. That would go nicely along with Garth Murray, whom I think can become like Darren Mcarty. I guess that if I slam Sather for all of his trades of prospects, soo too must I give him credit for finding Ortmeyer.
I thought that Lindros and Nedved continued to play well. That is to say as well as any Ranger forward could have been said to played well (again, Ortmeyer is excluded).
My biggest 2 biggest criticisms are this. First of all, CAN YOU PLEASE SCORE ON AN EFFIN' PP THAT LASTS FOR 6 EFFIN' MINUTES? Come on now. How inept are you? Lindros's comments make me think that they don't practice the PP at all. How about practicing more than just 5 on 3's?
And # 2 is, PR0TECT THE FRIGGIN' GOALIE!!! As I was watching Mkenna and Meloche and all the others that were running into Jussi, I was saying you got to knock them down and send out a message that running your goaltender is not allowed. And then JD said the same thing. I think me and him may have met on a similar wavelength for a time yesterday. Anyway, you got to protect your goalie, penalty or no penalty. There are times when you got to do what is right for the team. And if a penalty gets called, so be it. But you just cannot allow your goalie to be run like that. Defense, please. If you cannot seem to be able to clear the crease, how about just protecting the goalie?
Saw the standings today. I think that this is the closest that I have seen the Rangers to simultaneoulsy being clost to spots 6-8 in several years. This team has always given us hope before just to sweep the rug out from our feet. Here's hoping that they show us something on Monday night.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:11 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundyfan
Oh, and I know I'm being picky Edge but Jed is 25, hardly a kid. Then again, to me, they are all kids (except Mess that is).
See but you're not thinking in ranger terms, anything under 27 is a kid.

Seriously though i notice as each birthday passes i find myself calling players kids more and more, especially as they become younger and younger then me.

Closed Thread