HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Shea Weber's "Market Value"

Old
08-29-2007, 11:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Shea Weber's "Market Value"

wanted to post this in the Trades/Free Agent section of the main board to get the thoughts of fans of other teams but I guess I dont have enough posts....

A discussion has started on the "other" board about how much Shea Weber will sign for in his next contract.

Weber seems to be the one Pred who even the Canadian media are acknowledging is the real deal....

I think if the Preds are unable/unwilling to sign him to a long term deal someone will offer him around 4mil/year for 6 or 7 years(assuming he continues to improve and his numbers benefit from a full year on the PP).

Thoughts? (And if anyone with the ability to do so wants to repost this on the main board feel free)

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
wanted to post this in the Trades/Free Agent section of the main board to get the thoughts of fans of other teams but I guess I dont have enough posts....

A discussion has started on the "other" board about how much Shea Weber will sign for in his next contract.

Weber seems to be the one Pred who even the Canadian media are acknowledging is the real deal....

I think if the Preds are unable/unwilling to sign him to a long term deal someone will offer him around 4mil/year for 6 or 7 years(assuming he continues to improve and his numbers benefit from a full year on the PP).

Thoughts? (And if anyone with the ability to do so wants to repost this on the main board feel free)
fat chance in hell of that ever happening

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 11:21 PM
Jarnberg

He'll be a huge target next offseason if he's not signed. If a team makes a huge offer, the Predators will walk away in my opinion. And it would be a terrible, terrible move.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2007, 11:31 PM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
I'm from Vancouver.. Bieksa is basically our version of Weber.. He signed for I think 4 years at 4 million a season. That's probably what Weber will be looking for. I think he's worth it. Without Timonen, Weber is going to play a lot more I would assume.

You guys have some serious young talent in your system in regards to Defence.. I could see Weber being the captain of your team sometime in the future.

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 07:04 AM
handtrick

Weber is a very reasonable kid....more importantly, his agent is "reasonable and a pleasure to work with" as per one of the coaches....there is no doubt in my mind that they get something worked out before the hyenas begin to congregate in the summer. Poile knows he is a franchise defenseman.

I would predict a $ 3.0-3.5 million range for a 2 year deal, or a $4.0-4.5 mill range for a 4 year deal.

But to be honest, I think the biggest bearing on what Weber's contract will look like is what Calgary signs Phaneuf for this summer...if Weber signs before Phaneuf, I think we have a better chance at a deal similar to what I said above...if Phaneuf signs first, I think we will have to pay more.

Last edited by handtrick: 08-30-2007 at 07:11 AM.
handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 08:24 AM
jstreet

Weber is a future captain. The day Poile lets him walk is the day we put him in a jacket that laces from the back.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
Weber is a future captain. The day Poile lets him walk is the day we put him in a jacket that laces from the back.
Unfortunately it will come down to numbers. We're going to be a low budget team until who knows when. Hopefully Weber and his agent aren't going to be ridiculous when it comes to their demands. If they can't come to an agreement before Free Agency, you have to think that someone will offer him an offersheet. And if its big, I can see Poile walking away, no matter how good Weber is.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
Weber is a very reasonable kid....more importantly, his agent is "reasonable and a pleasure to work with" as per one of the coaches....there is no doubt in my mind that they get something worked out before the hyenas begin to congregate in the summer. Poile knows he is a franchise defenseman.

I would predict a $ 3.0-3.5 million range for a 2 year deal, or a $4.0-4.5 mill range for a 4 year deal.

But to be honest, I think the biggest bearing on what Weber's contract will look like is what Calgary signs Phaneuf for this summer...if Weber signs before Phaneuf, I think we have a better chance at a deal similar to what I said above...if Phaneuf signs first, I think we will have to pay more.
I think he will sign for what Ryan Whitney signed for....6 years, 24 million. That said, I suspect the Preds would try to make sure they can sign one more contract with him if its a shorter term deal.

Agreed on the Phaneuf contract.

08-30-2007, 10:20 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

dont you know calgary would love for us to sign him for 3mil or less so they could use that as leverage on phaneuf....

I am sure Lowe would be happy to give dion a 6 year 30 million offer sheet... dont you know that would make the battle of alberta even more fun than usual...

Old
08-30-2007, 12:33 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
I'm from Vancouver.. Bieksa is basically our version of Weber.. He signed for I think 4 years at 4 million a season. That's probably what Weber will be looking for. I think he's worth it. Without Timonen, Weber is going to play a lot more I would assume.

You guys have some serious young talent in your system in regards to Defence.. I could see Weber being the captain of your team sometime in the future.
To be fair, Im a neutral fan and Im here to say Bieksa isn't in Weber's league.

I honestly think Weber is worth 5 per season on a long term contract or more. I think he may take less for less years though and it will balance out equally.

3 years @ 3.5 per and then his next contract will be 3 years at 7 per. Or something along those lines.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
BBZC

He could hold out for an offersheet. Does he have arbitration rights?

BBZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2007, 01:25 PM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBZC View Post
He could hold out for an offersheet. Does he have arbitration rights?
No, he doesn't have arbitration rights.

And no, he won't hold out for an offer sheet...unless he changed agents and had a personality transplant.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 08:02 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post

I honestly think Weber is worth 5 per season on a long term contract or more. I think he may take less for less years though and it will balance out equally.

3 years @ 3.5 per and then his next contract will be 3 years at 7 per. Or something along those lines.
This is what I am hoping for.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 08:03 AM
tulsytrid1

If they do give Weber say 3@ 3.5, what do you think Suter and Legwand would want. Do you think Leggy tests the free agent market?

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 12:43 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1 View Post
If they do give Weber say 3@ 3.5, what do you think Suter and Legwand would want. Do you think Leggy tests the free agent market?
I think they are gonna wait and see what kind of year leggy has, which means if he has a good year hes gonna want/command 4 mil or more on the open market.

He has made comments about wanting to be like Yzerman and play for the Preds his whole career but I dont know how much of a hometown discount he will be willing to give.

Suter is not yet to the point where he can demand huge bucks. i see him getting a hamhuis like deal for around 2 mil a year to get him to UFA age, or else he takes a series of 1 year deals(like Hartnell did) hoping to "play up" to the big contract eventually.

Old
09-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:

I have to agree. Bieksa doesn't compare to Weber and someone will be willing to offer a 5+ long term contract to Weber. Presumably the Predators will lock him up if the ownership situation is resolved in time.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think they are gonna wait and see what kind of year leggy has, which means if he has a good year hes gonna want/command 4 mil or more on the open market.

He has made comments about wanting to be like Yzerman and play for the Preds his whole career but I dont know how much of a hometown discount he will be willing to give.

Suter is not yet to the point where he can demand huge bucks. i see him getting a hamhuis like deal for around 2 mil a year to get him to UFA age, or else he takes a series of 1 year deals(like Hartnell did) hoping to "play up" to the big contract eventually.
Disagree on Suter. I think he will receive more than Hamhuis if he continues his progress.....quite a bit more actually.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:
+1 from another neutral fan.

I've never contemplated in my mind what it would take to get Bieksa to the Pens. I go to sleep at night dreaming of getting Weber.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 02:38 PM
braindead

Can anyone give me a refresher on why Weber lasted until mid-second round? At the time was the thought that his skating wasn't up to phaneuf/suter and others? The size was there and I seem to recall that we traded his Kelwona teammate (Thomas Slovak?) to the Avs around the draft after he had a pretty good year, drafted Weber and told Weber we thought he would be much better (or something like that).

Again, I know good players are passed over all the time but does anyone know any particular reason for Weber?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Ogopogo*

I like Weber a lot and I agree that his next deal should be something like $10 million over 3 years then the deal after that $21 million over three years.

As a side note, I used to live in Kelowna and I watched Weber play regularly in junior. He was quietly the best junior defenseman in Canada.

One game I was at, Weber took a heavy hit and went head first into the boards. He was down on the ice for 15 minutes twitching before they hauled him off on a stretcher. I thought for sure the guy would be paralyzed after that incident; the coliseum was silent.

Thankfully, he came back and is panning out into a great NHLer.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2007, 11:48 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
I like Weber a lot and I agree that his next deal should be something like $10 million over 3 years then the deal after that $21 million over three years.

As a side note, I used to live in Kelowna and I watched Weber play regularly in junior. He was quietly the best junior defenseman in Canada.

One game I was at, Weber took a heavy hit and went head first into the boards. He was down on the ice for 15 minutes twitching before they hauled him off on a stretcher. I thought for sure the guy would be paralyzed after that incident; the coliseum was silent.

Thankfully, he came back and is panning out into a great NHLer.

Weber got a concusion(officially a "jaw injury") from a blind luck punch in a scrap with Moen in February and that incident was brought up...