HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Micheal Busto

Old
07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Fish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You're the second in the thread to make that joke and about the 4545756754675467 since we signed him.
Like I said...I couldn't help it

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:49 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
...but how many Dan Girardi's are out there?
Interesting question....so I looked into it and it's seems like there can be quite a few out there. I can only dream (and I emphasize DREAM) that Busto or Wikkman turn into one of these current NHLers that entered the league as FAs rather than being drafted.

Curtis Joseph, Ed Belfour, Sylvain Lefebvre, Brian Rafalski, Martin St. Louis, Dwayne Roloson, Greg De Vries, Jeff Halpern, Pascal Dupuis, Ruslan Fedotenko, and Donald Brashear.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:56 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Interesting question....so I looked into it and it's seems like there can be quite a few out there. I can only dream (and I emphasize DREAM) that Busto or Wikkman turn into one of these current NHLers that entered the league as FAs rather than being drafted.

Curtis Joseph, Ed Belfour, Sylvain Lefebvre, Brian Rafalski, Martin St. Louis, Dwayne Roloson, Greg De Vries, Jeff Halpern, Pascal Dupuis, Ruslan Fedotenko, and Donald Brashear.
Wikkman has a chance to do well. I think he'll get 20 games at least in the A behind Montoya/Vally and his pedigree in Finnland suggests he has a genuine talent. Rangers tried to sign him last year, so the fact he has been monitored since AND got a contract must mean he has continued to improve... could be a steal, who knows...

Busto was passed over once in the draft but then look how many players that happend to this year? you can be passed over for many reasons like injury, size but not necessarily talent. He has a chance to make it as i think there'll be an opening or 2 in Hartford.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:34 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

There are plenty of players who don't get drafted and end up in the NHL being fairly decent players. It's a win / win situation. It cost us nothing to sign him. Wasn't he a All-star, 2nd or 3rd team? If so he can't be that bad. We took a flyer on a player that could have a decent upside. If nothing else maybe he develops becomes a better player down the road in a year or two and becomes a valuable trading chip.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:48 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
There are plenty of players who don't get drafted and end up in the NHL being fairly decent players. It's a win / win situation. It cost us nothing to sign him. Wasn't he a All-star, 2nd or 3rd team? If so he can't be that bad. We took a flyer on a player that could have a decent upside. If nothing else maybe he develops becomes a better player down the road in a year or two and becomes a valuable trading chip.
exaclty!

thats what i have tried to stress all along, he's potentially low risk - high reward! even if he never plays for the Rangers but gets us a 4th or 5th round pick because someone else needs a PP defenceman then isnt that a good result for us?!?!

even a lower pick for no cost to us is a good thing, so this is a nice pick up.

Old
08-01-2007, 10:25 AM
NJRanger

he'll surprise a lot of people and be like a girardi type impact player for us. i have high expectations for him.

NJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:51 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
exaclty!

thats what i have tried to stress all along, he's potentially low risk - high reward! even if he never plays for the Rangers but gets us a 4th or 5th round pick because someone else needs a PP defenceman then isnt that a good result for us?!?!

even a lower pick for no cost to us is a good thing, so this is a nice pick up.
Look at the Texas Rangers. Took Gagne off the scrap heap gave him an incentive loaded contract, he rebounds and they turn him into 3 prospects and they can resign him in 3 months!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 09:10 PM
Kendo

I am a Ranger fan first and foremost. Beyond that, I am a Mets fan, then a Red Sox fan. Weird mix, I know. I only post here once in a great while, but I had to make a point...

Kason Gabbard is not a prospect. He is a gamer.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Kendo

Anyway...

Busto has a chance to be a Pock or Girardi. A useful player, but not someone to put you over the top.

If he doesn't develop to that point, is it really a bad thing? I'd rather Sanguinetti progresses and makes it, but would i be sad if Bobby flops and Mikey makes it as a fringe guy? Heck no.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:27 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Busto has a chance to be a Pock or Girardi. A useful player, but not someone to put you over the top.

If he doesn't develop to that point, is it really a bad thing? I'd rather Sanguinetti progresses and makes it, but would i be sad if Bobby flops and Mikey makes it as a fringe guy? Heck no.
The good thing is, having Busto allows us not to rush Sanguinetti. Busto is a year or 2 older, physically more advanced and if anything he fills the roster in Hartford. If he becomes a success he may then make the Rangers or play at a high level in Hartford. This allows Sanguinetti maybe 2 full years learning to be a pro in the AHL and not rushed into the Ranger line up.

If all Busto becomes is a decent bridge to gap the time until Sanguinetti is ready he'll have had a use and in my eyes have been a successful pick up. Hence the low risk high reward comment, because any more than this is a bonus!

Old
08-02-2007, 04:34 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Pock may not be a mauler, but he certainly knows how to seperate the opposing player from the puck by using his body. He does this at least as much as someone like Girardi.
I have to say... I feel Pock is a 'mediocre - poor' defensive player. I don't feel that he has the physical ability to be a top 6 d-man in the NHL. Some people really seem to like this guy, but I never feel comfortable when he is out on the ice. I respectfully disagree with you on this one...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:42 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I have to say... I feel Pock is a 'mediocre - poor' defensive player. I don't feel that he has the physical ability to be a top 6 d-man in the NHL. Some people really seem to like this guy, but I never feel comfortable when he is out on the ice. I respectfully disagree with you on this one...
Im no great Pock fan either. He was meant to be an NHL standrad player as an offensive defenceman and that hasnt happened so all of a sudden he's a depth guy?

He can put a few points up on the bhoard but has no particular physical game and from what i have seen his positioning is suspect. To be fair to him though he has improved since he first made the Rangers team... how long will he get to improve? who knows....

this is why Busto has a chance, Hutchinson and Pock shouldnt be out of his reach if they can make the Rangers...

Old
08-02-2007, 08:07 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
Im no great Pock fan either. He was meant to be an NHL standrad player as an offensive defenceman and that hasnt happened so all of a sudden he's a depth guy?

He can put a few points up on the bhoard but has no particular physical game and from what i have seen his positioning is suspect. To be fair to him though he has improved since he first made the Rangers team... how long will he get to improve? who knows....

this is why Busto has a chance, Hutchinson and Pock shouldnt be out of his reach if they can make the Rangers...
I know Renney liked what he saw of Busto at the prospect camp. He has NHL size I think he said and plays a good game in front of the net.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:23 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
I know Renney liked what he saw of Busto at the prospect camp. He has NHL size I think he said and plays a good game in front of the net.
if there was one thing that our D has lacked in recent times is someone that can clear the net in front of henrik... saying that, i'd be surprised if that was why we signed up Busto... looking at his numbers he looks to be an offensive powerplay type.