HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Puck to the chin

Old
08-05-2007, 11:29 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

vCash: 500
Puck to the chin

I just had a roller game earlier today in which I caught a shot from the point square on the chin. One of the refs helped me clean it out and bandaged me up and I got back into the game and only missed about half of a period.(which was pretty important since we only had 6 skaters - me and we had no one on the bench)
It looked as if it was a borderline stitches cut shaped kind of like a mercedes symbol. It has for the most part stopped bleeding, but not entirely. This happened about 6 hours ago...anyone know any good remedies to stop the blood?
I tried butterfly bandages, but they wont stick...right now its just antibacterial cream, gauze, and med tape...by the way we also won the game

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:42 PM
PensFanInCBus

To stop bleeding:

Go to hospital. Get stitches.

If the butterfly bandages won't hold, the wound should be stitched up. You could try using some Stiptic powder (used to stop bleeding if you cut your dog/cat's nails too short...can get it at pet stores) although I wouldn't recommend it. I don't use anything on a wound that I get in a pet store...but to each his own

PensFanInCBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 12:55 AM
true_moose

Go to a clinic and get it looked at at least. I caught a pretty nice elbow to the chin my second year of midget, opened me up a triangular scar that took 13 stitches to close. Now granted, that was because my full cage went into my face, but still. I was off about 2 weeks, then I had to keep a piece of gauze with bandages over it when I played. It opened up a couple more times, and now all I have is a great scar to show off to the ladies.

true_moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:09 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
if you wait more than like 12 hours you can't get stitches.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 09:48 AM
LilWinger11

There's this stuff called Dermabond that they use instead of stitches a lot these days, especially with little kids. It's basically Superglue, but I think they can use it even when it's been too long to put in stitches. If you're still bleeding or even oozing after several hours you should probably get it looked at.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 10:28 AM
sc37

vCash: 713
Probably too late...but the liquid band-aid stuff would be worth a try in a situation like that. There's also this stuff I got called BFI Antiseptic Powder and should be close to what PensFan is talking about. It works wonders...much better than Neosporin. I just recently took a puck to the ear and split it open pretty good. It closed up eventually cause me and the a guy from the next team on the ice, which happened to be made up of firefighters, took a towel and pinched it till it shut. But it was too late to get back on the ice though I didn't need the stitches cause it stopped bleeding but the Neosporin just made it drip blood here and there for the rest of the night cause it wet.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 11:07 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN View Post
I just had a roller game earlier today in which I caught a shot from the point square on the chin. One of the refs helped me clean it out and bandaged me up and I got back into the game and only missed about half of a period.(which was pretty important since we only had 6 skaters - me and we had no one on the bench)
It looked as if it was a borderline stitches cut shaped kind of like a mercedes symbol. It has for the most part stopped bleeding, but not entirely. This happened about 6 hours ago...anyone know any good remedies to stop the blood?
I tried butterfly bandages, but they wont stick...right now its just antibacterial cream, gauze, and med tape...by the way we also won the game
It's still bleeding after 6 hours and getting stitches hasn't crossed your mind??

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 01:03 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

No more bleeding. I woke up today and the gauze I had on it had very little blood.
I'm keeping the neosporin on it with a no-stick gauze.
Thanks for the help

Old
08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
It's still bleeding after 6 hours and getting stitches hasn't crossed your mind??
I'm not big on going to the doctor/hospital...It wasn't bleeding heavily, was more a drip every once in a while of pink-ish mix as opposed to the dark red blood that came out in the early stages after the puck hit.
If it were up to my mom, g/f and you guys I'd probably be stitched up right now...o well I hope it stays closed

Old
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
spjon25

I took a puck to the bridge of my nose last night, and it kept dripping for a couple of hours. Guy on my team told me not to waste the time or money going to the ER to get it stitched since it would be only one stitch and I would not get shot up for that. (the guy on my team is also an MD so I trusted his decision) I wanted to go back out, but it kept oozing and mixing with the sweat so it got all over the place

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjon25 View Post
I took a puck to the bridge of my nose last night, and it kept dripping for a couple of hours. Guy on my team told me not to waste the time or money going to the ER to get it stitched since it would be only one stitch and I would not get shot up for that. (the guy on my team is also an MD so I trusted his decision) I wanted to go back out, but it kept oozing and mixing with the sweat so it got all over the place
I also got one of those back in 03. I went to the hospital, my nose was broken at the tip. They didn't even stitch the cut, they just butterflied it and took like 4 hours...probably why I didn't go yesterday

Old
08-06-2007, 04:50 PM
yankeecpt15

better than balls to the chin

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
MikeD

the time limit for stitches is roughly 4 hours. After that, the skin will not knit well. Unless its seriously deep needing sutures, your likely to get not much more than liquidskin or butterfly type banages. Good call to not waste your time and money on a trip to the ER.

there are many very cheap clotting agents around. one of the cheapest and fastest is Cayenne Pepper. You can put a tablespoon or so into 2-3 ounces of sterile water in a sterile plastic bottle. shake and Pour that onto even a deep cut to the bone, the bleeding will stop in a matter of seconds as well as decrease the chance of scaring. Bleeding ulcer or other internal gastral bleading from trauma? DRINK the mixture. It will stop the bleeding allowing you time to get to medical help. Cayenne pepper and a closed/sterile bottle of eyewash solution should be in your first aid pack! It could save your life!

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

+1 on the Cayenne pepper recommendation. Never used it on myself, but I've used it on others in backwoods emergencies, and it always does the trick.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 View Post
better than balls to the chin
We'll take your word for it. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote