HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers re-sign Marcel Hossa-1 year/$780,000

Old
07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I'm fine with this...

but I wouldn't be too ecstatic about him playing a season with Jagr. Personally, I like Straka there and would rather see Hossa play with Callahan (and Avery). I think he complements them well, and it allows Prucha to get more time with better offensive players to see if that gets him going.

I do still think that Hossa's not out of the woods yet. He's still wildly inconsistent. At $850k, he's not going to hurt this team and I think he deserves to show he can do it - he did it briefly (offensively that is), but now has to do it on a more consistent basis.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Exactly. I'd love for all the guys who are anti-Hossa to list a few guys they would prefer us to sign for about 850k or so.
Do you want UFAs, other teams who have signed their RFA's for that price who are better then Hossa, or our own youth?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 03:58 PM
eco's bones

So much emotion shown over Hossa. For those who think he's a top liner he's yet to prove it. 10 goals in a season is not top line production. As for Isbister who exactly was that enamored with him? Now there are things I do like about Hossa. He's turned into a fairly decent defensive player and a pretty good penalty killer. He's got size and skill--it is just that he's not been able to maximise on his talent and I think it's okay to wonder if he ever will. Love him in the shootout. If it's 850 K I'm okay with it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:27 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
PlayerCap Number
Gomez 7.357
Drury 7.05
Shanahan5.3*
Jagr 4.94
Straka 3.3
Prucha 1.6
Hossa 0.85
Betts 0.615
Callahan 0.575
Orr 0.538
Hollweg 0.513
Mara 3
Malik 2.5
Rozsival 2.1
Tyutin 0.988
Girardi 0.75**
Pock 0.668
Strudwick 0.5
Lundqvist4.25
Valiquette 0.618
Total48.032
Remaining2.288
Bonuses3
Total less Bonuses45.012
Remaining less Bonuses5.288
*Shanahan's contract contains an additional $2.8 mil in performance bonuses.
**Girardi's contract contains $200k in performance bonuses.

All performance bonuses count against the cap this year. A team can exceed the salary cap by $3.77 mil (7.5% of the cap) to pay these performance bonuses, but any excess will be dead cap space for the 08-09 season.

Other Notable Contracts (not counted towards the above total):
PlayerCap Number
Kasparaitis2.989
Montoya1.834*
Korpikoski1.018
Anisimov0.85
Bourret0.85
Staal0.827
Moore0.725
Dubinsky0.633
Byers0.608
Liffiton0.579
Baranka0.522
Barnes0.517
Dawes0.496
Hutchinson0.475
*Montoya's contract contains $850k in performance bonuses.

The above table & stats are btw courtesy of Kodiak that helps clarifiy the cap situation

Remaining Free Agent is:

Avery

Say that -
Kaspar is assigned to Hartford or traded
Avery signs for 2,1 M

Leaves around 3,188 M in cap space

Peca is maybe next to sign for say... 2,1 - leaving a million in breathing space???

It might work.

Last edited by BBKers: 07-31-2007 at 05:16 PM.
BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Onion Boy

Hossa is worth 850k for his shootout abilities alone. After losing Cullen and Nylander, Hossa (along with Shanny) is our best shooter.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Fletch

BBkers...

even if Kaspar's in HFD, isn't there a $1.5MM or so cap hit this season or next?

Old
07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
NYR_32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
even if Kaspar's in HFD, isn't there a $1.5MM or so cap hit this season or next?
With Kaspar in Hartford his whole salary comes off the cap, the only time 1.5 would be assessed to the Rangers is if he was claimed on re-entry waivers.

NYR_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
whew....now i can finally sleep at night

He tallied eight goals and five assists for 13 points in his last 15 regular season games.

hu, didn't realize it was that many points.....
I think we might both feel the same way about this signing ***yawn***

As to the statistics, yeah he did have a nice run before he got injured, but before that it was pretty barren...5 points in 49 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
I'm tired of Hossa Haters. Its getting a little old. The guy was giving top line minutes and he played great and up to his potential. You can say all you want about how its because he was playing with Jagr but IMO the only benefit he got out of playing with Jagr was motivation. The guy did a lot of it on his own. He started grinding it out by standing in front of the net for the "garbage goals", deflecting pucks in the net, went into the corners to do the dirty work instead of being lazy, and he threw his weight around. I'm happy we re-signed him
It surprises me how passionate people feel about this guy, to the point of exaggerating his contributions. If I was to read the above statement without having seen him, I might think he was the next Adam Graves. Specifically I don't recall much scoring from in close and around the net, instead I recall him mostly getting his goals from about another 10 feet out. Maybe my memory is just bad...

As to him being a grinder, I think this is my biggest issue with those who support Hossa. To me he was tremendously inconsistent with his effort...some days he'd play inspired, but most of the time he was slow at moving the puck, didn't use his body much and his penalty killing didn't stand out in the way that say Ortmeyer's did.

The one positive I'll attribute to him is his strength on the puck

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

There were a handful of games last year where Marcel looked Dominant on Jagrs opposite wing. He definitely had moments of Jagr like puck control and his work ethic on the boards is something to marvel at times.

Its all in the consistancy

07-31-2007, 04:55 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

......one more down...its avery time now

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Fish

It's interesting that you see a statement in this thread to the effect that most people here are Hossa haters, and then proceed to see a bunch of positive Hossa posts

Personally I see this as a "whatever" signing. I don't subscribe to those who portray him as doing a lot despite his statistics. To be honest I can barely remember him hitting once, let alone using his body on a regular basis. His penalty killing didn't stand out more than anyone else on the team, and he's not exactly the fastest guy on the team, certainly not a defensive stalwart at even strength.

I saw a comment about him getting a lot of goals in front. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the intent of the comments, but I seem to recall most of his goals were scored from further out, particularly off of wrist shots.

Does he warrant another contract...perhaps, it's certainly a low risk option. But let's not carried away with his abilities. He's a third/fourth line winger who had a nice run, but it was after a streak of 5 points in 49 games and on a player who at 26 has yet to score more than 10 goals in a season.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:00 PM
score77

Send a message via AIM to score77
Quote:
UPDATE, 6 p.m. Hossa signed a one-year deal for $780,000, a raise of $180,000 from last season. There is still nothing new on the Sean Avery ruling
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2007/0...lock-up-hossa/

score77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
NYR Lunchbox

even better

NYR Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:17 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Lunchbox View Post
even better
Exact words I was thinking

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
AKA: "I just don't understand how everyone doesn't feel the exact unbridled man-love I feel for every single human being associated with the organization!"
Not sure I follow. I don't love Hossa, I really have no feeling either way towards the guy. But I can recognize he's a great penalty killer, strong on the boards and a terrific back checker. Saying he "sucks" ignores his positive characteristics. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, certainly- and if him "sucking" is your opinion, so be it- but at the same time there's nothing wrong with pointing out the fact that the guy possesses many abilities worth mentioning.

But thanks for trying to put words in my mouth .

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:51 PM
Fletch

What is odd...

is that prior to joining Jagr, many talked about his work along the boards and great backchecking and in the end, the work along the boards didn't result in goals for the Rangers, and the backchecking didn't do much to stop goals from going in (his minus seems to tell that story a bit). Perhaps it was the guys he was playing with - we shall see this season - as I mentioned, he's worth another look and his signing isn't breaking the bank.

Old
07-31-2007, 05:52 PM
in the hall

i'm sure this endears him to the front office.. and probably some of the thought behind him signing

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 05:57 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

two things

1) re: crazy hossa hater poster. shadow is right in that thoughtfulness and sensitivity are not a prerequisite for board participation. that said, the poster's abusive treatment of caps and bold print has got to be forum faux pas and a breach of 12 forms of internet etiquette.

2) whether you hate him or not, this is a good signing. he's coming in really cheap. if he shows that 15 game stretch wasn't a fluke, he'll be on his way to earning a big fat raise. If it was, then he'll be getting paid what he deserves. 750k for a player of his ability is a great value.

3) I lied. one more thing. whoever posted about signing Peca, I would not consider $1M "breathing room." Given the size of Montoya's and Staal's individual contracts, you'd want $2M available for that added flexibility. $1M is like toe wiggling room. No real arguments though. It'll be interesting to see what happens after the Avery ruling!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is that prior to joining Jagr, many talked about his work along the boards and great backchecking and in the end, the work along the boards didn't result in goals for the Rangers, and the backchecking didn't do much to stop goals from going in (his minus seems to tell that story a bit). Perhaps it was the guys he was playing with - we shall see this season - as I mentioned, he's worth another look and his signing isn't breaking the bank.
Interesting points, but as we all know one player does not a line make. You could be a fantastic defensive forward, but with poorly positioned defenseman and lackadaisical linemates your contributions will be essentially meaningless. With our current lineup, I think he'll emerge as a terrific shut-down winger. Or a waste of a roster spot .

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

780K is a fair deal for him. This is a defining year for him. Either he can showup and play hard every game and become the quality player that he can be or he can lollygag around the ice and find his way out of town, replaced by an equally capable, higher potential, younger player.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
$850,000 for a guy who, aside from an 11 game stretch, has not been able to distinguish himself from an Ortmeyer?
Ortmeyer got $750,000 without those 11 games...

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Casmatt

This doesn't surprise me. I have no problem with this. Let's not get carried away though, he's not a 1st liner. I know what he did in the short period of time that he played up on that line, but I still would much rather have Straka there.

I don't think that he's primed for a breakout season or anything like that, I think what he did last season is what your going to get out of Marcel. However if he puts up more than 15 goals next season, I will change my name, that is a promise.

Casmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I like this signing, now just Avery signed and i'll be a happy camper

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:35 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Now lets wrap up Avery for 1.75 and we are good to go.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2007, 06:40 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by marceltheuseless View Post
This doesn't surprise me. I have no problem with this. Let's not get carried away though, he's not a 1st liner. I know what he did in the short period of time that he played up on that line, but I still would much rather have Straka there.

I don't think that he's primed for a breakout season or anything like that, I think what he did last season is what your going to get out of Marcel. However if he puts up more than 15 goals next season, I will change my name, that is a promise.
I always like to see someone proven wrong. Let's hope Hossa makes you change your name.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote