HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blair Betts

Old
08-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 500
Probably the best 4th liner in the league, so no not available

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
You always need a solid foundation of role players, and Betts fits his role perfectly. The Black Aces played a huge part in the Rangers winning the cup in 94.
There are role players all over the NHL. John Madden is a role player. Jay Pandolfo. Kris Draper. Sean Avery. All teams have them. We have potential role players in Hartford and in our system. Greg Moore. Dane Byers. Maybe even a Dupont, Pyatt or Korpikoski. They're not necessarily going to develop into top line players. Blair Betts is a good 4th liner. He's not a superstar 4th liner. Not as essential to the team as most of his teammates. He does a lot of things well but he has more limitations than most of the other forwards. One of the best things going for him is he's not taking up a lot of cap space. Saying he's off limits as trade material though is ridiculous. Lundqvist is off limits. Jagr and Staal--just about off limits. Everybody else can be had for the right price under the right circumstances. Whether you like it or not Lundqvist, Jagr and Staal are the players that are hard to find. I certainly would not weep if say we got a 2nd rounder in next years draft for Betts. If the return is good I've got no problem trading Betts.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The thing I love about Betts is that he is perfectly suited for his limited role on the team.

• Wins faceoffs
• Kills Penalties in fantastic fashion
• Blocks shots like a madman
• Plays responsible hockey
• Will chip in a glorious goal every blue moon
• Great work ethic

I'd like to see him:

• Create a little more up front
(though hes had 8 and then 9 goals the first two years with the Rangers, not horrible for a 4th liner. I'd love to see him break 10 this year)
• Get himself in better position to shoot (because he can surprise goalies with his wrist shot sometimes)
• Stick up for his teammates a little more

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Probably the best 4th liner in the league, so no not available
Just out of curiosity, is that really a compliment??

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:47 PM
eco's bones

Let me see we traded two HOF'ers Ratelle and Park in one trade to get one HOF'er Esposito + Vadnais and almost always forgotten Zanussi. We also traded Eddie Giacomin another HOF'er. We traded both Messier and Richter. We traded Leetch and Graves. Over the years that I've watched Bobby Orr was traded--Wayne Gretzky--the two best players of their era. For some reason though Betts should be an untradeable.

Old
08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
i would say so seeing the likes of crosby, ovechkin, thorton, jagr would have no idea what to do on the 4th line

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i would say so seeing the likes of crosby, ovechkin, thorton, jagr would have no idea what to do on the 4th line
I'd still take anyone of those guys on the 4th line over Betts

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'd still take anyone of those guys on the 4th line over Betts
well then you shouldn't expect your team to be very defensive.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:02 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i wouldnt take Crosby on a 4th line- the job of the 4th line is to be defensive and shut down another team's line- Crosby, Thornton, Ovechkin and the stars score goals but the 3rd an 4th lines are just as important- Pahlsson, Pandolfo, Fisher, Lehtinen, Brind'amour- these guys shut down opposing top lines so i would say that Betts is a very important piece for the Rangers as our "Selke" center if you want to call it that

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:07 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
i wouldnt take Crosby on a 4th line- the job of the 4th line is to be defensive and shut down another team's line- Crosby, Thornton, Ovechkin and the stars score goals but the 3rd an 4th lines are just as important- Pahlsson, Pandolfo, Fisher, Lehtinen, Brind'amour- these guys shut down opposing top lines so i would say that Betts is a very important piece for the Rangers as our "Selke" center if you want to call it that
if you had the choice. No Crosby on your team or Crosby on your team on the 4th line, i think you'll still want Crosby on your team. He'll shut down the other team's line just in a different way. By scoring 50 goals on them.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
How could it not be???

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:22 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Let me see we traded two HOF'ers Ratelle and Park in one trade to get one HOF'er Esposito + Vadnais and almost always forgotten Zanussi. We also traded Eddie Giacomin another HOF'er. We traded both Messier and Richter. We traded Leetch and Graves. Over the years that I've watched Bobby Orr was traded--Wayne Gretzky--the two best players of their era. For some reason though Betts should be an untradeable.
what are you talking about? we never traded messier and richter. sather only traded messier with the oilers.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:58 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
If the return is good I've got no problem trading Betts.
I agree. I just estimate his value greater than you do. I wouldn't move him for a second round pick unless there was a youngster ready to take his spot. He's too reliable and too good of the draw. When needed he's been able to fill in on higher lined center positions. He competes every shift he spends out there, no matter how little time he gets. He never complains and always plays hard. You can't treat a loyal player like this as expendable, not when you want to win now.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:30 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
wait till next off season when sather lets him walk
he got a 2 yr extension

BKBlackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:52 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
He's not available. He might be a 4th liner and only a 4th liner but what he does well he does very well. One of the better bottom 6 guys in the league and it'd take an overpayment to get him.

He provides depth, somee scoring, good faceoff skills and excellent PK'ing so cough up big time if you want him!
First of all, just about EVERYONE is available. It all depends on the price. Betts fills a need as 4th line center, and does it quite well, but he's hardly untouchable.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
what are you talking about? we never traded messier and richter. sather only traded messier with the oilers.

Messier was dealt to the Sharks, and Richter was dealt to Nashville as paper transactions before they became free agents.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 01:30 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I agree. I just estimate his value greater than you do. I wouldn't move him for a second round pick unless there was a youngster ready to take his spot. He's too reliable and too good of the draw. When needed he's been able to fill in on higher lined center positions. He competes every shift he spends out there, no matter how little time he gets. He never complains and always plays hard. You can't treat a loyal player like this as expendable, not when you want to win now.
I would move him for a second round pick. He wouldn't get that now I don't think. I think he can be replaced. Though I don't see Dubinsky as a 4th liner--I think he for one could fill that spot--though he might wind up as the 3rd line center. Betts' defensive play is very good. Faceoffs too. Drury is going to be counted on for faceoffs though and maybe for pk. The signings of both him and Gomez might eat up more 3rd and 4th line ice time. A lot remains to be seen. Betts may last out his current contract with us--two more seasons. Eventually I see him replaced though.

Old
08-02-2007, 04:30 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
thats definitely a compliment.

Without good depth you get exposed. Without good PK'ers and guys who can do the dirty work, without the guys who play the 10 minutes a night when your stars need to freshen up on the bench you lose games.

Guys like Betts offer excellent value on cap terms too.

For 500(?)k he gives us 6-10 goals a year, good PK , lots of blocked shots, excellent face offs and decent minutes.

If Betts added some more offence and could score 15 goals a year he'd be a 3rd liner and on 1-1.5m a year so he's a great team guy...

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 08:13 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Messier was dealt to the Sharks, and Richter was dealt to Nashville as paper transactions before they became free agents.
i don't even know if thats true, but messier was never traded from the rangers to anybody and richter never played a game for nashville or any other team ever. so no, we didn't trade them.

Old
08-02-2007, 08:46 AM
BklyNYR4Life

Quote:
sure is, its not the job of every guy on the team to put up 100+ points a season. Betts does his job and he does it well. great faceoff guy, good in his own zone, extremely solid PK guy. and as noted he'll chip in the odd goal here and there. for what Betts needs to do on this team he does it as well as I could ask for, see absolutely no reason why you'd move him.

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
i don't even know if thats true, but messier was never traded from the rangers to anybody and richter never played a game for nashville or any other team ever. so no, we didn't trade them.

Like it or not it's officially listed in their bios. Richter was claimed by Nashville in an expansion draft. He is later traded to Edmonton for future considerations. Messier is traded to San Jose for future considerations. These were trades used to garner extra draft picks for those teams as compensation. Not sure what the Rangers got out of it but you can bet Sather got something. In any case to me it hardly argues against the main point of the post it's taken from--which comments on Gretzky and Orr both being traded as Edmonton traded Messier to us--so he was a traded player. One can further look at Messier's departure to Vancouver as a trade as we allowed him to walk and got a compensatory draft pick for him.

Old
08-02-2007, 02:01 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Betts- top Pk foward in the nhl
top shot blocking foaward in the nhl

keep him

cant have a full team of scorers, you need a guy like betts

plus i just got my betts jersey, so if they trade him id be pissed off
lol

but seriously, i dont see him being traded. renney coached him in world juniors and is the reason that betts was here in the 1st place. i dont see renney letting sather make that deal

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 02:12 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocks View Post
but seriously, i dont see him being traded. renney coached him in world juniors and is the reason that betts was here in the 1st place. i dont see renney letting sather make that deal
No its a long shot and i would be floored if they traded him. He is the perfect role 4th line center and it would be extremely stupid to let him go. Its not that hes totally irreplaceable, he just fits into this team so well now.

Think he'll break 10 this year?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 02:19 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Like it or not it's officially listed in their bios. Richter was claimed by Nashville in an expansion draft. He is later traded to Edmonton for future considerations. Messier is traded to San Jose for future considerations. These were trades used to garner extra draft picks for those teams as compensation. Not sure what the Rangers got out of it but you can bet Sather got something. In any case to me it hardly argues against the main point of the post it's taken from--which comments on Gretzky and Orr both being traded as Edmonton traded Messier to us--so he was a traded player. One can further look at Messier's departure to Vancouver as a trade as we allowed him to walk and got a compensatory draft pick for him.
well i don't know where your getting your info. nothing you have listed above whether its right or not is a trade. in a trade, you lose the player, we never lost richter and messier walked to vancouver, we didn't trade him.

Old
08-02-2007, 02:28 PM
BlairBettsBlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
No its a long shot and i would be floored if they traded him. He is the perfect role 4th line center and it would be extremely stupid to let him go. Its not that hes totally irreplaceable, he just fits into this team so well now.

Think he'll break 10 this year?
he wont break 10 this year if he plays with hollweg and orr

put hossa on a line with him and maybe. and then it'd have to be orr or hollweg, because frankly i'd rather not call up an ahler and have them split time with orr and hollweg
if renney can find a way to have another good player on that line, then maybe

i also hope they send hollweg to the minors
or trade him or something

BlairBettsBlocks is offline   Reply With Quote