HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rachunek

Old
08-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Rachunek

what can we expect from him defensively and offensively? i really dont exactly know what kind of player he is.i know he is big, does he use his body well?

any comments would be appreciated

thanks

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Consistently inconsistent.

08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
wonderful

i just hope the coaching staff will fix that

but thank you for your input

Old
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty0wns30 View Post
what can we expect from him defensively and offensively? i really dont exactly know what kind of player he is.i know he is big, does he use his body well?

any comments would be appreciated

thanks
He likes to join the rush, which can on occassion lead to him being caught way out of position on the defensive end. He got much better about this as the year went on. He's got a heavy shot and isn't afraid to use it, though he seems to have a difficult time actually putting it on net. He's also pretty good at making the outlet pass. I wouldn't count on him being your go-to PP QB, though if you've got nothing else he could certainly play that role. He could blossom offensively given time, everyone always praised his offense coming up.

Defensively he got a lot better as the year went on. He killed me at first with his stupid clearing attempts and poor positioning. He's not particularly strong along the boards but he is willing to battle and go into the corners, so maybe in time he'll get better there too. He's a pretty decent skater and can cover enough ground in the defensive end. I don't remember him being much of a hitter.

He turned it on for us in the second half and was one of our steadier defenseman, IMO. I don't think the organization wanted to get rid of him, it was more a matter of cap space and our depth on defense. He'll be a pretty good player for you I'd imagine.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:45 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
AGREED!

Quote:
wonderful

Rachunek was leaps & bounds better at the end of the year than he was in the beggining, The Ranger coaching staff build his onfidence & worked with him, . I Honestly cant say what he will do as a Devil this season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:46 PM
in the hall

this isn't the greatest comparison but he reminds me of a lesser malakhov

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He likes to join the rush, which can on occassion lead to him being caught way out of position on the defensive end. He got much better about this as the year went on. He's got a heavy shot and isn't afraid to use it, though he seems to have a difficult time actually putting it on net. He's also pretty good at making the outlet pass. I wouldn't count on him being your go-to PP QB, though if you've got nothing else he could certainly play that role. He could blossom offensively given time, everyone always praised his offense coming up.

Defensively he got a lot better as the year went on. He killed me at first with his stupid clearing attempts and poor positioning. He's not particularly strong along the boards but he is willing to battle and go into the corners, so maybe in time he'll get better there too. He's a pretty decent skater and can cover enough ground in the defensive end. I don't remember him being much of a hitter.

He turned it on for us in the second half and was one of our steadier defenseman, IMO. I don't think the organization wanted to get rid of him, it was more a matter of cap space and our depth on defense. He'll be a pretty good player for you I'd imagine.
Shows great poise and rarely gets caught out of position. Has a decent point shot and will put up more points as he learns to use it more. Owns the size NHL scouts look for.

that is from tsn scouting report in him. i am glad i started this thread because i was pretty much just going by the tsn scouting report which is most of the time just a guideline and not very accurate.

i think he wil probably be on the second pp unit because we will probably have martin and greene on the first. greene is capable of qb hte power play and has a pretty good shot from the point.

thanks for your scouting report. it really cleared things up for me

Old
08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
wonderful

Well, the one positive you can look to is his poor play is often the result of mental lapses and at times just looking disinterested. And both those things don't fly on the Devils.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Big? hes not that big. At least he doesnt play like he is. Occasionally he'll throw the body around (a la Dallas last year where he pummeled Lindros into the backboards and he was standing there trying to get his stick out of the glass like a moron for 30 seconds)

I'm afraid he'll return to the form he was when he was with Ottawa. But that was a decent team and system for him to work in - and now more than 3 years ago. I think he'll work ok with the Devils as long as he buys into the system and becomes purely defensive minded. But that might also work against him, he always seems to overthink things, hell rush a pass, fan on it and it will lead to a goal.

He's not a bad player but i don't think hes an upgrade for the Devils, but i guess he'll have to do when you've lost one of your best in Rafalski.

He IS INCONSISTENT.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 08-27-2007 at 05:05 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Ola

I agree with most things said about Rachunek above. Though I have said for a long time that I think he got more potential down the road. He won't get faster/bigger or something like that, of course, but most D's peak in their 30's and Rachunek got some fine tools too.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 04:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Shows great poise and rarely gets caught out of position. Has a decent point shot and will put up more points as he learns to use it more. Owns the size NHL scouts look for.

that is from tsn scouting report in him. i am glad i started this thread because i was pretty much just going by the tsn scouting report which is most of the time just a guideline and not very accurate.

i think he wil probably be on the second pp unit because we will probably have martin and greene on the first. greene is capable of qb hte power play and has a pretty good shot from the point.

No problem. I hear ya on the TSN scouting, most of it is usually pretty close, but to say he "rarely" gets caught out of position, that's just silly. Again, he got better as the season went on.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

Tsn.ca scouting reports aren't always that accurate or that current.

Case and point their scouting report for Lundqvist:

Needs to start showing a greater desire to come over to North America.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/...me=nhl-rangers

Old
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
squishy

Keep in mind that last season was Rachunek's first back on the smaller ice surface after spending 2 years in Russia, where he was one of the top 4-5 defensemen in the league. There was a definite adjustment period, that wasn't helped by the fact that through the first three months of a season he was paired most often with Ozolinsh or Kaspar -- neither of whom could be considered stable defensive players last season -- and that likely didn't help his transition.

My fear is that the Devils will get the Rachunek we saw at the end of the season for a full 82 games.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 05:07 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Tsn.ca scouting reports aren't always that accurate or that current.

Case and point their scouting report for Lundqvist:

Needs to start showing a greater desire to come over to North America.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/...me=nhl-rangers
Yeah i check back from time to time to see if they ever fix that damn line.

Way overdue.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 05:09 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Marty, JR:

Leave the garbage at the door.

Old
08-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

thank you everybody who posted helpful comments, i really appreciate it

Old
08-27-2007, 05:57 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I actually liked Rachunek a majority of the time. There were occasions where you'd be like "*** was he doing?" and I'm sure that gets him benched on the Devils.

I'll say a few positives though...

- He has a fairly solid shot from the line... it's got a motor on it
- He is more physical than most of the Rangers defenseman (which isn't saying a lot, but he'd put people in there place)
- He's pretty fast for a defenseman with good puck handling skills
- He'll stick up for teammates (a good example is the Hollweg-Simon fiasco)
- He'll definitely make some sick passes from time to time

Negatives:

- Caught out of position at least once a game due to a bad pinch usually
- Isn't patient enough to stick with fast skaters (what I mean is he usually makes the first move - not good)
- Shot hits the glass more than the net, but when it does hit the net it's prob going in
- deflects a lot of shots into his own net (wasn't it like 4 or 5 last year?)
- screens your goalie .. why he does this still baffles me.... I thought Lundqvist was going to kill hiim a few times

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Big? hes not that big. At least he doesnt play like he is. Occasionally he'll throw the body around (a la Dallas last year where he pummeled Lindros into the backboards and he was standing there trying to get his stick out of the glass like a moron for 30 seconds)

I'm afraid he'll return to the form he was when he was with Ottawa. But that was a decent team and system for him to work in - and now more than 3 years ago. I think he'll work ok with the Devils as long as he buys into the system and becomes purely defensive minded. But that might also work against him, he always seems to overthink things, hell rush a pass, fan on it and it will lead to a goal.

He's not a bad player but i don't think hes an upgrade for the Devils, but i guess he'll have to do when you've lost one of your best in Rafalski.

He IS INCONSISTENT.
That is, until you're in the 3rd period of an important playoff game with a tie score. Then Rachunek will run around looking for the big hit and leave his man unchecked in front of the net.

I cannot figure out why he never took more **** on this board for that play. Every still blames Malik for that loss, but no one mentions Rachunek.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I actually liked Rachunek a majority of the time. There were occasions where you'd be like "*** was he doing?" and I'm sure that gets him benched on the Devils.

I'll say a few positives though...

- He has a fairly solid shot from the line... it's got a motor on it
- He is more physical than most of the Rangers defenseman (which isn't saying a lot, but he'd put people in there place)
- He's pretty fast for a defenseman with good puck handling skills
- He'll stick up for teammates (a good example is the Hollweg-Simon fiasco)
- He'll definitely make some sick passes from time to time

Negatives:

- Caught out of position at least once a game due to a bad pinch usually
- Isn't patient enough to stick with fast skaters (what I mean is he usually makes the first move - not good)
- Shot hits the glass more than the net, but when it does hit the net it's prob going in
- deflects a lot of shots into his own net (wasn't it like 4 or 5 last year?)
- screens your goalie .. why he does this still baffles me.... I thought Lundqvist was going to kill hiim a few times
nice report thanks alot

Old
08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

He was very inconsistant the first 1/4 of last season , than got progressively better.

When Ward was exiled and Mara came in, he became his partner and the two had some very good chemistry and Rachuneks game showed alot of improvement and focus. He scored some big goals just before he got injured.

He scored a BIG goal against Buffalo too, but thats another story

08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
mti79

I agree with mostly everything people had to say about Rack. I would like to add that he's a really nice guy. After the Leafs game on April 1, he stopped and signed autographs for a bunch of us despite there being a light rain. When we thanked him for doing so, he told us "not a problem, anytime." although i won't miss his mistakes on ice, he did score some nice goals for us and I'll miss him on the team. It sucks to say that there is now 1 New Jersey Devil whom I don't hate.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2007, 10:50 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I agree with most things said about Rachunek above. Though I have said for a long time that I think he got more potential down the road. He won't get faster/bigger or something like that, of course, but most D's peak in their 30's and Rachunek got some fine tools too.
only thing I liked about Rachunek is that he stuck up for Hollweg when Simon smacked him with the stick.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote