HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rate the Ranger Offseason

View Poll Results: Rate the Rangers Offseason
10: Couldn't have hoped for anything better really 16 9.47%
8-9: Very impressed, maybe 1 or 2 small things I would have liked fixed/changed 130 76.92%
5-7: Average, as expected. Nothing great, but nothing really negative either 10 5.92%
3-5: Below Average - Not impressed how things were done this offseason 1 0.59%
1-2: I'd be shocked if we even made the playoffs after the offseason we had 12 7.10%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
With the size of some of the contracts coming off the books over the next 2-3 years, the financial aspect of this franchise has not been limited at all.

Shanny won't be back next year, likely neither will Straka so that's between 5-8 million off the numbers, then add Mara's 3 and we're looking at 8-11 million gone next year

This team is going to have the flexibility needed to stay very very competitive for years to come.
but thats also 3 spots youre going to need to fill. not to mention tyutin, rozsival, and girardi who will all get nice pay raises next year.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:13 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
but thats also 3 spots youre going to need to fill. not to mention tyutin, rozsival, and girardi who will all get nice pay raises next year.
Dubinsky, Bourret and Staal or Baranka or Sauer or Liffiton

Much cheaper players and we still have room for the raises to Tyutin, Girardi and Rosi (to an extent, because if it's 5+ million for him, buh-bye)

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Dubinsky, Bourret and Staal or Baranka or Sauer or Liffiton

Much cheaper players and we still have room for the raises to Tyutin, Girardi and Rosi (to an extent, because if it's 5+ million for him, buh-bye)
rangers arent adding 3 kids to the team in a year. it just wont happen. kids are going to be introduced via injuries. thats why i still think peca will be on board for a year.

Old
08-01-2007, 04:02 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
rangers arent adding 3 kids to the team in a year. it just wont happen. kids are going to be introduced via injuries. thats why i still think peca will be on board for a year.
Yeah and i think its more likely now because

A. Toronto (or any other team) hasnt signed him - a week after he said publically said "the ball is in their court" (1.25 mil for 1 year)

and

B. The Rangers signed Avery for under 2 Mil. and still have a little space.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

HAHAHAHHA what is Jesus Colton doing in your images? Nice...

LOL

i agree.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:18 PM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
if it was me i would have signed jsut drury and saved our money and not signed gomez

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Barnaby

9... I would have liked to see the Rangers add a solid defensive d-man partner to play with Mara. Not thrilled about the Cullen trade... last year we had a gaping hole at 2nd line center that he couldn't fill... well what happens if Drury or Gomez go down this year? You will have even less depth, then last year at center unless Dubi really steps up. I don't see how AA could possibly ready yet and Immo is gone...

Getting Drury, and Gomez was terrific and helps us make the jump from a playoff team with a chance to a legit contender along with Jagr and HL. Cherepanov should be a great addition in a year or two as Jagr, Straka, and Shanny or on their way out.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

HAHAHAHHA what is Jesus Colton doing in your images? Nice...

LOL

i agree.

Old
08-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Onion Boy

The only things I disliked about this offseason:

- the loss of Nylander. Gomez is certainly an upgrade, but will he have the same chemistry with Jagr?

- the loss of Cullen. I don't think Dubsinky is ready for full-time action on the third line. I think Slats should trade one of our extra defenseman for a third line center.

- Heading into camp with Valiquette as our backup. We need somebody better.

In my opinion, now that Avery and Hossa are signed, I think we will see a few minor moves to address the third line and backup goalie situation.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
With the size of some of the contracts coming off the books over the next 2-3 years, the financial aspect of this franchise has not been limited at all.

Shanny won't be back next year, likely neither will Straka so that's between 5-8 million off the numbers, then add Mara's 3 and we're looking at 8-11 million gone next year

This team is going to have the flexibility needed to stay very very competitive for years to come.
Shanny won't be back but the Rangers will still be paying Captain Shanny...

This offseason was a A...The Rangers did everything they needed to do to be a contender in the coming season..Now it's up to Renney and the commitment of the players..They have the talent...They have the goaltending...They just need everything to break right....

The Rangers flexibilty next offseason is based almost entirely on what happens with the cap...What the Rangers should do is not go after any big names and lockup Tyutin, Rozsival, etc in the next coming weeks to 2 or 3 year contracts...If Rozsival has another season like last season he is a 5 million to 6 million dollar defensemen....If Tyutin takes a step forward he could be a 3 million to 4 million dollar defenseman....The Rangers need to get the defense locked up...

You say "buh bye" to Rozsival and the Rangers have a HUGE HOLE to fill...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
rodmunch

As others mentioned, great offseason.

They would have gotton a perfect 10 if they only somehow got a better defensman, but I'll gladly take Gomez and Drury, not to mention Cherepanov (without having to trade Montoya or any assets)

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:19 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Shanny won't be back but the Rangers will still be paying Captain Shanny...

This offseason was a A...The Rangers did everything they needed to do to be a contender in the coming season..Now it's up to Renney and the commitment of the players..They have the talent...They have the goaltending...They just need everything to break right....

The Rangers flexibilty next offseason is based almost entirely on what happens with the cap...What the Rangers should do is not go after any big names and lockup Tyutin, Rozsival, etc in the next coming weeks to 2 or 3 year contracts...If Rozsival has another season like last season he is a 5 million to 6 million dollar defensemen....If Tyutin takes a step forward he could be a 3 million to 4 million dollar defenseman....The Rangers need to get the defense locked up...

You say "buh bye" to Rozsival and the Rangers have a HUGE HOLE to fill...
At 5+ million, that's a hole I'm willing to have to worry about. He's not worth that money no way, no how.

Mara, Malik, Straka (Shanny's 2.5 leaving 2.8 for next year) between those players that's 10 million (12.8 including Shanny's bonus depending on how things go this year)

I have a feeling that the Rangers are trying to load up for this year so that they can remove those salaries and start to infuse some real quality youth into the mix.

Dubinsky taking over for the 3rd line during the 08-09 season is not unrealistic, in fact I believe they are hoping he's the guy that comes out of camp with the job this year.

Staal has the ability to play this season, a season of Hartford won't hurt him, but to keep him there longer than that would be just plain wrong and counter productive

Bourret, that's the wildcard. I can see him forcing himself onto one of the top 2 lines for the 08-09 season. If he has a good camp and improves on his rookie AHL season he's another player that would be wasted in Hartford.

Additionally, I think that we are also going to see Korpikoski with the Rangers during the 08-09 season.

Is that alot of youth? Yes it is, but at some point we have to see what they can do in the NHL for an extended period and the position they have put themselves in with regards to contracts given out to certain players one can only assume this year is the year they shoot for the moon with a year off to regroup (infuse youth) and go at it again, but this time for an extended period.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I dont' care about Vally. Backups don't play that much, not with Lundqvist ahead of them. If THE KING gets injured, it won't matter who replaces him as we won't be contenders regardless. If Vally is really that bad that he can't play 15 games a year, and Monty can't do the job either, then a cheap backup can always be acquired during the season for a third or fourth round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
The only things I disliked about this offseason:

- the loss of Nylander. Gomez is certainly an upgrade, but will he have the same chemistry with Jagr?

- the loss of Cullen. I don't think Dubsinky is ready for full-time action on the third line. I think Slats should trade one of our extra defenseman for a third line center.

- Heading into camp with Valiquette as our backup. We need somebody better.

In my opinion, now that Avery and Hossa are signed, I think we will see a few minor moves to address the third line and backup goalie situation.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
But remember, the salary cap will almost definitely rise, which will cover the pay raises.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:34 PM
chip chipperson*

i would give it a B. we should have locked up henrik long term and i would have loved to see avery get a multi year deal. i don't think that the cullen trade was that necessary. he was probably the best 3rd line center in the league.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:45 PM
alucard

[QUOTE=devito1192;10081416i don't think that the cullen trade was that necessary. he was probably the best 3rd line center in the league.[/QUOTE]
And the most expensive...

We could use a top flight defensemen, but I doubt we have the cap space to take one on. Besides it wasn't like defense was a real issue last year, although a stud D man would only help out the offense from the D, but maybe Rozsival can pickup some of that slack.
Getting Drury and Gomez, the top 2-3 centers in this summers UFA pool was huge. After reading the blueshirtbulletin pre-UFA report about how we would wind up with no one I was half expecting the worst.
As for the 3rd line center, hopefully Dubinsky can step up in that postion, although I have a feeling a trade or our spare D / Peca might be in our near future.
8-9 Vote

alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:46 PM
giacomin1

I am not happy about the loss of Nylander, although it is understandable given the situation. The Cullen trade I definitely do not understand. Why did we need to completely revamp every line with a new center?.

The FA signings were great though and the rest of the team is intact, so overall I give it an 8.

giacomin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:55 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by giacomin1 View Post
I am not happy about the loss of Nylander, although it is understandable given the situation. The Cullen trade I definitely do not understand. Why did we need to completely revamp every line with a new center?.

The FA signings were great though and the rest of the team is intact, so overall I give it an 8.
The Cullen trade was to free up salary (a new reality in the cap world)

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:13 PM
doubled

Over Paid for Gomez - not worth 4.5 let alone 7+
We will regret this in a few - Holik anyone

doubled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard View Post
And the most expensive...

We could use a top flight defensemen, but I doubt we have the cap space to take one on. Besides it wasn't like defense was a real issue last year, although a stud D man would only help out the offense from the D, but maybe Rozsival can pickup some of that slack.
Getting Drury and Gomez, the top 2-3 centers in this summers UFA pool was huge. After reading the blueshirtbulletin pre-UFA report about how we would wind up with no one I was half expecting the worst.
As for the 3rd line center, hopefully Dubinsky can step up in that postion, although I have a feeling a trade or our spare D / Peca might be in our near future.
8-9 Vote
it was a perfect role for cullen. send down kaspar and maybe move a dman(mara, malik). and thats about 5.5 million right there. we could have signed avery and hossa without trading cullen. no we are left with a 3rd line center hole to fill. imagine how many guys are going to be put there to fill that hole.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

The only thing that really concerns me, as it does most it seems, is the lack of a capable back up. From what I saw from Vally he doesnt look like a NHL quality goalie, and certainly not like a quality back-up. I dont know, I just dont like it, I suppose the Rangers can still sign one of the few FA goalies out there to back up Henke but I dont see them doing well with Vally in net.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Fletch

inferno..

Cullen being gone doesn't decrease the potential Shanny hit for next year - that number doesn't change. I understand that the blow would feel lessened considering they're gone, but the cap space would be more with Cullen gone and no hit for the next season. It's still borrowing from next season and the Rangers are going for it this season - the deadline trades will be interesting if the Rangers are performing to expectations.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Cullen being gone doesn't decrease the potential Shanny hit for next year - that number doesn't change. I understand that the blow would feel lessened considering they're gone, but the cap space would be more with Cullen gone and no hit for the next season. It's still borrowing from next season and the Rangers are going for it this season - the deadline trades will be interesting if the Rangers are performing to expectations.
with cullen gone, you can apply most of the bonuses to this year. i calculated it all out. bonuses DONT have to be applied to the following year if they could be fit under the current year.

Old
08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Solid A.

Would've rather lost Mara than Cullen.
Would've liked to get a top pairing D-man.
Would've liked to see our two new guys signed for slightly less.
The Avery BS could have been avoided.

But those are rather small complaints. Great job, Glenny!

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
A-. I would have rathered trade a Dman instead of Cullen, but other than that, the trade was fantastic, the free agency period was awesome, and we re-signed the guys we needed to.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote