HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Manchester line combos for 2007-08......?

Old
08-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
Manchester line combos for 2007-08......?

Can someone enlighten me as to what's going on with the Monarchs? I'm going to go out on a limb and say neither Hogeboom nor Roussin are in the team's immediate plans.....

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to what's going on with the Monarchs? I'm going to go out on a limb and say neither Hogeboom nor Roussin are in the team's immediate plans.....
There are some people on this board that know whats up with the Monarchs pretty well.

Guys like Ted Purcell, Brady Murray, Scott Parse, Vlad Dravecky, Marc-Andre Cliche, and goalies Erik Ersberg and Jon Quick will be added to the existing list of Moulson, Tukonen, Gauthier, Guilliano, Kanko, Westgarth, Lewis, Boyle, Petiot, Harrold, Buckley, Likens, and Piskula.

I guess guys like Lukacevic and Roussin are up in the air if they end up in the ECHL or Manchester. I think Hogeboom signed elsewhere...

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 08-01-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:43 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Hogeboom wasn't qualified by the Kings and has signed in Europe...

Roussin is under contract (NHL) through this season...

Lukacevic has two-years remaining on his deal...

Giuliano is as good a guess as any for the Kings 4th line center spot. Of course the Kings could go with Dallman as their center/defenseman "utility" guy again this season to save CAP $$$ in which case, Giuliano starts in Manchester...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Hogeboom wasn't qualified by the Kings and has signed in Europe...

Roussin is under contract (NHL) through this season...

Lukacevic has two-years remaining on his deal...

Giuliano is as good a guess as any for the Kings 4th line center spot. Of course the Kings could go with Dallman as their center/defenseman "utility" guy again this season to save CAP $$$ in which case, Giuliano starts in Manchester...
From what I'm hearing Brady Murray is in the running for the 4th line center spot in LA. I don't think Guilliano will get a cup of coffee in the show again under Crawford.

I think the original poster was looking for line combo's, maybe you can enlighten him on some....

I know Moulson-Gauthier-Zeiler played together last season. That could possibly be a line, but Zeilier is almost a lock for the show.

I wouldn't rule out Purcell and Lewis on the top line and probably Cliche on the second line. I would imagine Purcell, Lewis, Moulson, Cliche, Parse, Tukonen will be in the top 6 forwards and the bottom six could include Murray, Westgarth, Kanko, Gauthier, and Guilliano.

Old
08-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Osprey

I'll take a swipe at it. Keep in mind that I don't know Manchester that well, so I may've forgotten a player or detail.

Moulson-Lewis-Tukonen
Parse-Meckler-Purcell
Gauthier-Cliche-Dravecky
Giuliano-Murray-Kanko
Ryan
Westgarth

Boyle-Harrold
Piskula-Petiot
Hersley-Buckley
Tverdovsky
Likens

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'll take a swipe at it. Keep in mind that I don't know Manchester that well, so I may've forgotten a player or detail.

Moulson-Lewis-Tukonen
Parse-Meckler-Purcell
Gauthier-Cliche-Dravecky
Guiliano-Murray-Kanko
Ryan
Westgarth

Boyle-Harrold
Piskula-Petiot
Hersley-Buckley
Tverdovsky
Likens

Yeah, that's a good list, I forgot about Ryan and Meckler. Seeing that makes me def think Murray has a shot in LA and that one of those forwards could end up in the ECHL; most AHL teams don't care many extra forwards.

Old
08-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Seeing that makes me def think Murray has a shot in LA...
Honestly, I don't understand why people think that Murray could start in LA. He's 5'9" and has never played in a physical league. He went from the almost-non-contact NCAA to the Swiss league. He probably has no clue how to play in traffic or take punishment. He'll have to prove himself in the AHL before even dreaming of making the NHL. He's a far, far cry from the quality of prospect that Kopitar was (the kind that can skip the AHL), for example.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Honestly, I don't understand why people think that Murray could start in LA. He's 5'9" and has never played in a physical league. He went from the almost-non-contact NCAA to the Swiss league. He probably has no clue how to play in traffic or take punishment. He'll have to prove himself in the AHL before even dreaming of making the NHL. He's a far, far cry from the quality of prospect that Kopitar was, for example.
Agreed, but I think it has been quoted by Hammond, Fox, and Lombardi that they think he might be the dark horse to make the team.

Old
08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Apparently, Brady Murray is a very smart player with a motor that doesn't quit. I think him or maybe even Matt Ryan can win a spot as the 4th line center or spare forward who will be in and out of the lineup. Giuliano is another candidate to win a spot on the roster out of camp.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:16 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Agreed, but I think it has been quoted by Hammond, Fox, and Lombardi that they think he might be the dark horse to make the team.
I'll be surprised if Lombardi burns $942K in CAP space on a 4th line center. Very surprised, especially when he's got Giuliano at $475K and Dallman at $477.5K as options and Dallman as the 4th line center and 7th d-man kills two-birds with one stone...

I think there's a strong possibility that Lombardi will go with a 22-man roster this season...

Old
08-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:

Moulson-Lewis-Tukonen
Parse-Meckler-Purcell
Gauthier-Cliche-Dravecky
Giuliano-Murray-Kanko
Ryan
Westgarth

Boyle-Harrold
Piskula-Petiot
Hersley-Buckley
Tverdovsky
Likens

Is it just my idea, or is this (not including the infamous 'lock-out' season) the most promising line-up any Kings minor-league affiliate has ever had? There's at least 3 first-round picks in there amongst numerous other hopefuls.

Who's in goal? Ersberg? Due to age, it can't be Bernier.

Old
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Is it just my idea, or is this (not including the infamous 'lock-out' season) the most promising line-up any Kings minor-league affiliate has ever had? There's at least 3 first-round picks in there amongst numerous other hopefuls.

This is probably going to be the youngest, most inexperienced professionally Monarchs team to date...

Quick will likely be a goaltender in Manchester along with Ersberg...

Old
08-01-2007, 05:38 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
they've already pretty much said that Ersberg and Quick would be the tandem down there. Of course, if Ersberg surprises, it could be Cloutier and Quick... who knows. Not even the Shadow.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Jon Quick w/ Ersberg as his Back-up
Bernier will be back in the minors

So I've got them looking SOMETHING like this . . .
($ NHL Salary CAP Hit $)

2007-2008 Manchester Monarchs
=======================================
TEDDY PURCELL ($1.35 M) / BRADY MURRAY ($942,400) / LAURI TUKONEN ($885,780)
SCOTT PARSE ($750,000) / TREVOR LEWIS ($855,000) / MARC-ANDRE CLICHE ($850,000)
VLADIMIR DRAVECKY ($497,500) / GABE GAUTHIER ($650,000) / MATT MOULSON ($477,500)
PETR KANKO (RFA MQO=$495,000) / MATT RYAN (RFA MQO =$515,900) / JEFF GIULIANO ( $ TBA )
KEVIN WESTGARTH ($850,000) / DAVID MECKLER (AHL contract)
JOHN ZEILER (Most likely up on Kings ?)

Don't AHL teams usually only carry a 20 man roster of 11 Forwards, 7 Defensemen and 2 goalies ?

BRIAN BOYLE ($835,000) / RICHARD PETIOT (RFA MQO = $627,000)
JOE PISKULA ($1.125 M) / BRENDAN BUCKLEY ($462,500)
PATRIK HERSLEY ($535,000) / JEFF LIKENS (AHL contract)
KEVIN DALLMAN ($477,500) or PETER HARROLD (may be up on Kings?)
OLEG TVERDOVSKY (will he return ? or sign in Europe ?)

JONATHAN QUICK ($770,000)
ERIK ERSBERG ($750,000)

We've also got ...
NED LUKACEVIC (RW)
DANY ROUSSIN (RW)
DANIEL TAYLOR (G)
and do we sign Matt Zaba (G) ???

so yeah some of these guys are Reading Royals bound

Likely no room this year for =
Paul Crosty (F/D) - 24 yr / 6'2" / 220 / 1982 / CAN = {UFA}
Ryan Murphy (RW) - 24 yr / 5'11" / 183 / USA = {UFA}
Bryan Schmidt - (D) 6'3" / 209 / 1981 = {UFA}

Last edited by Puck U: 08-01-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
This is probably going to be the youngest, most inexperienced professionally Monarchs team to date...

Quick will likely be a goaltender in Manchester along with Ersberg...
Exactly. No Marty Murray's, Brad Smyth's, or Derek Bekar's. This is all youth and that's what Lombardi wanted. They do have Guilliano as a vet and possibly Tverdovsky, Dahlman, and, of course Buckley.

But overall, very young squad. But the best young team on paper since the lockout year when we had Cammy, Brown, Garon, Gleason and Co.

Old
08-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

While it might generally be young as far as AGE goes ...

RETURNING Monarchs Members =
LAURI TUKONEN
TREVOR LEWIS - got a taste at end of last year
GABE GAUTHIER
MATT MOULSON
PETR KANKO
MATT RYAN
JEFF GIULIANO
JOHN ZEILER - IF not up on Kings ?
BRIAN BOYLE - got a taste at end of last year, and played w/ Harrold at BU
RICHARD PETIOT
BRENDAN BUCKLEY
JEFF LIKENS
KEVIN DALLMAN - IF not up on Kings ?
PETER HARROLD - IF not up on Kings ?
OLEG TVERDOVSKY - IF not up on Kings or in Europe ?

That's as many as 15 returning members that saw ice time with the Monarchs last year.

so I don't know that I'd label them inexperienced and a few of them are used to playing alongside each other already. This should be an exciting team to watch, and if they get solid goaltending from Quick, they could be playoff bound again.

Old
08-02-2007, 02:34 AM
quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post

LAURI TUKONEN
GABE GAUTHIER
MATT MOULSON
PETR KANKO
MATT RYAN
JEFF GIULIANO
RICHARD PETIOT
BRENDAN BUCKLEY
JEFF LIKENS

That's as many as 15 returning members that saw ice time with the Monarchs last year.

so I don't know that I'd label them inexperienced and a few of them are used to playing alongside each other already. This should be an exciting team to watch, and if they get solid goaltending from Quick, they could be playoff bound again.

quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 02:41 AM
quebec

Quote:
I was wondering how come you allways forget about Joey Ryan it sounds like you LA fans are not to high on him.I have watched him for 4 years and I think once you see how he plays he will be a fan favorite.If you could pair him with JJ in a year or two that would be a very mean and intimidating pair.
LAURI TUKONEN
GABE GAUTHIER
MATT MOULSON
PETR KANKO
MATT RYAN
JEFF GIULIANO
RICHARD PETIOT
BRENDAN BUCKLEY
JEFF LIKENS

quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebec
I was wondering how come you allways forget about Joey Ryan it sounds like you LA fans are not to high on him.I have watched him for 4 years and I think once you see how he plays he will be a fan favorite.If you could pair him with JJ in a year or two that would be a very mean and intimidating pair.
We're not forgeting Joe Ryan ... he's not under contract yet with the Kings, they still have until 6/1/'08 next year to sign him.
Therefore we can not put him in the Kings or Monarchs line-ups just yet now can we

Old
08-02-2007, 07:13 AM
King Blazer

Joe Ryan is going back to Juniors...

Old
08-02-2007, 07:20 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
This should be an exciting team to watch, and if they get solid goaltending from Quick, they could be playoff bound again.
Well see about exciting...

An AHL team has to really suck to miss the playoffs. However, Lombardi assembled AHL teams do have a history of sucking and sucking hard at times...

Last season is Manchester was Lombardi's "gift" to the Manchester fans. It's likely going to be very different this season...

Old
08-06-2007, 11:08 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Does anyone else see a potential logjams pretty much acrossed the board this year with playing time for D on the Monarchs? I was looking at a list of all the players under contract to LA, Manchester, and Reading and things could get ugly especially on D. The loss of TVo (hopefully its true) would help but, still seems likely that if a few guys (Kanko comes to mind) dont make the Kings could end up in Reading.

That got me thinking, would it maybe be a good idea to have a couple of the younger kids (Purcell, Murray, Boyle if hes going to be a D) that could possibly benefit from the extra ice time start the season in Reading and have guys like Buckley, Ryan, Kanko fill the 5-6 D-men and 3-4th line roles in Manchester? I just really dont want to see guys like Purcell, Lewis, Murray that have scoring talent end up playing and learning the pro game as checking line players.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Does anyone else see a potential logjams pretty much acrossed the board this year with playing time for D on the Monarchs? I was looking at a list of all the players under contract to LA, Manchester, and Reading and things could get ugly especially on D. The loss of TVo (hopefully its true) would help but, still seems likely that if a few guys (Kanko comes to mind) dont make the Kings could end up in Reading.

That got me thinking, would it maybe be a good idea to have a couple of the younger kids (Purcell, Murray, Boyle if hes going to be a D) that could possibly benefit from the extra ice time start the season in Reading and have guys like Buckley, Ryan, Kanko fill the 5-6 D-men and 3-4th line roles in Manchester? I just really dont want to see guys like Purcell, Lewis, Murray that have scoring talent end up playing and learning the pro game as checking line players.

Lately I've had the nagging suspicion that, barring an amazing training camp, Mr. Kanko will start the year with top 6 duty in Reading. He was a top 6 while with the Kitchener Rangers (OHL) so this move *might* help to jump-start his motivation & career.

Old
08-07-2007, 12:18 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Lately I've had the nagging suspicion that, barring an amazing training camp, Mr. Kanko will start the year with top 6 duty in Reading. He was a top 6 while with the Kitchener Rangers (OHL) so this move *might* help to jump-start his motivation & career.
But thats kind of my point I dont ever see Kanko being a top six guy at the NHL level, but he could be a very solid third line checking player. So it makes sense in my mind at least to have Kanko grow comfortable with a checking role in Manchester while someone like Purcell, or Murray plays a top 6 role in Reading to at least begin the season and hopefully that way learns that role at the pro level.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
But thats kind of my point I dont ever see Kanko being a top six guy at the NHL level, but he could be a very solid third line checking player. So it makes sense in my mind at least to have Kanko grow comfortable with a checking role in Manchester while someone like Purcell, or Murray plays a top 6 role in Reading to at least begin the season and hopefully that way learns that role at the pro level.
Purcell and Murray are dark horses to make the Kings, I seriously doubt that they will get dropped to Reading. A guy like Meckler, Dravecky, Crosty are the most likely to see Reading time with the Lukacevic's and Roussin's, IMO. I think the best one to drop to Reading in fact would be Meckler since I feel he will be better off in a top 6 role rather than an extra forward/bottom line guy. No doubt Meckelr should be in Manchester be is just coming in in the wrong year.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote