HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What NHL or Former NHL'er have you skated with?

Old
08-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
What NHL or Former NHL'er have you skated with?

Thought this might be a good idea...or not.

Just curious if anyone else has had the priveledge to play a game with an NHL or former NHL'er. Post your player or story here.

Working at Chelsea Piers I had the honor of playing with Glenn Anderson on a few occasions during open hockey and pick up games between staff members. He always had a smokin hott babe with him and I even had the chance to drink with the guy at a bar in Manhattan after a Rangers game at the Garden. This was around the time Sather brought Messier back and I remember having a good little chat about what he thought Messier coming back to the Rangers meant.

On the ice...the dude is like 50 something and can still play his ass off. I'll never forget the day I pulled a toe drag move around him on a 1 on 1 while he was playing defense during a pick up game...True story.

I was successful the first time, got the shot off but did not score on the goalie. Second time around, I decided to pull the same move and his exact words were "I don't think so" while poke checking the puck and shoving me out of the way. Good times I tell you, good times.

I have a few more stories...like him taking a slapshot and nearly killing this funny ass russian kid that I used to work with. The shot hit him in the visor, cracked it and left a mark from the puck that looked like the stain left on glass from a fire?? Does that make sense? LoL

His english wasn't that great and he came to show me what happened. While pointing at his visor and helmet still on his head, he said...

"Doood...Andursin did dis to me...."

"It is Pro!!"

Lmao...if it's not that funny too bad, ya had to be there!!

Lets hear yours...

-B

Sm0otHocKeySPeeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:51 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
Thought this might be a good idea...or not.

Just curious if anyone else has had the priveledge to play a game with an NHL or former NHL'er. Post your player or story here.

Working at Chelsea Piers I had the honor of playing with Glenn Anderson on a few occasions during open hockey and pick up games between staff members. He always had a smokin hott babe with him and I even had the chance to drink with the guy at a bar in Manhattan after a Rangers game at the Garden. This was around the time Sather brought Messier back and I remember having a good little chat about what he thought Messier coming back to the Rangers meant.

On the ice...the dude is like 50 something and can still play his ass off. I'll never forget the day I pulled a toe drag move around him on a 1 on 1 while he was playing defense during a pick up game...True story.

I was successful the first time, got the shot off but did not score on the goalie. Second time around, I decided to pull the same move and his exact words were "I don't think so" while poke checking the puck and shoving me out of the way. Good times I tell you, good times.

I have a few more stories...like him taking a slapshot and nearly killing this funny ass russian kid that I used to work with. The shot hit him in the visor, cracked it and left a mark from the puck that looked like the stain left on glass from a fire?? Does that make sense? LoL

His english wasn't that great and he came to show me what happened. While pointing at his visor and helmet still on his head, he said...

"Doood...Andursin did dis to me...."

"It is Pro!!"

Lmao...if it's not that funny too bad, ya had to be there!!

Lets hear yours...

-B
if its just skating, rather than a game, then Bjore Slaming. Bobby Hull was also there but he didnt skate.

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:09 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Um - quite a few
Actually
In Chicago - Bobby Hull (summer camp), Stan Mikita, Bobby Orr, Eric Nesterenko (coach), Keith Magnusson, Jerry Korab, Borje Salming, Inge Hammarstrom, Dan Labraaten, Terry Gregsson (legendary Canadian NHL referee that held power skating camps every summer in Chicago and always lived at our place) amongst many others in early years

Tony Granato, Joel Otto and Marc Johnsson while playing in mite to midget US hockey. Actor Adam Baldwin played on my team in Winnetka a couple of times...

Ummmm Mikael Nylander (he was a great talent though much younger in Huddinge here I played Junior hockey), Per Erik Eklund (saved a penalty shot by him!), Tommy Albelin (Stocksund) and many many others in Sweden. I once played opposing goalie against Pelle Lindbergh (RIP) when he was with Hammarby. They won.

I was incidentally in the Swedish army together with Tomas Sandstrom and Ulf Samuelsson (they were in Falun while I was in Karlstad but we had several big @operations@ together and got to know them quite well... They were nuts)

I played a lot with Charles Berglund (IFK Tumba) too. He never made it to the NHL but instead captained the Swedish National Team + Djurgarden and won several major championships including an Olympic Gold Medal(Lillehamar), World Championship and Swedish National Championship He now coaches Timra in the Swedish Elite league together with my brother...

Last edited by BBKers: 08-02-2007 at 12:28 PM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 06:57 AM
nyrage

Skated with: Glen Metropolit. Played with: no, I interned with the Pensacola Ice Pilots of the ECHL. They also had a guy named Brent that was related to some guy named Wayne, Gretzky or something like that.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 07:32 AM
YesYesYall

Marc Savard and Antoine Vermette when I lived in Quebec for a few weird years. There were a few Quebec Majors playing with us as well. When I was younger and attending Trevor Linden's camp, Pavel Bure and Jyrki Lumme played shinny with us too. I remember I was wearing the old Canucks jersey with Bure's name and number while we played. Oh yeah...Linden was there too

YesYesYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 07:39 AM
jnyr

I skated with Patrick Cavanaugh at a hockey camp when I first started playing. He had a short stint in the NHL, mainly an enforcer from what I remember. I know along the way in camps and such I skated with a handful of former pros but no one too famous.

One of my coaches in prep school, Brian Daccord, was a former Bruins goalie coach for about 3 years I think, and he was an all American in college and I think played pro in Europe for a while.

I played against Corey Schneider twice, I believe, and a handful of draft picks that are currently playing in college.

jnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 07:42 AM
OpieAnthony

Benoit Hogue used to play open hockey at iceworks(now Isles practice facility) a few years back. He was not slow.

OpieAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesYesYall View Post
Marc Savard and Antoine Vermette when I lived in Quebec for a few weird years. There were a few Quebec Majors playing with us as well. When I was younger and attending Trevor Linden's camp, Pavel Bure and Jyrki Lumme played shinny with us too. I remember I was wearing the old Canucks jersey with Bure's name and number while we played. Oh yeah...Linden was there too
Awkward much?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
all these years I had the luck, pleasure and privilege to play alongside with Jiri Hrdina, Anton Stastny, Vasha Nedomansky, JC Tremblay, Frantisek Kucera, Milan Tichy (Isles, Hawks),

against: Jacques Lemaire, Pat Lafontaine, Al Iafrate and rest of 84 US Olympic squad, Joel Otto (possibly the toughest hockey player to ever play against) , John Harrington and Buzz Schneider (US 1980 Olympians)
jorgen pettersson (blues, whalers, caps) he was awesome!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1DSbMVDhbA

and shinnied with: Eric Cairns, Scott Nichol, Cliff Ronning, Doug Berry (Oilers)

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Larry Melnyk

One glorious day skating very briefly with and against Leetch, Nemchinov, Beezer and Mark Hardy..They were on the ice before our skate...all stayed over, and nobody argued...

And Mark Hardy was one of my least favorite Rangers..Man, I used to crucify him like crazy every night...Turns out he was a real nice guy and going at probaly 3/4's (Ok, maybe half!) speed he was like Wayne Gretzky against Us (a bunch of former HS and college players)...Amazed at how good he was...I stoped picking on him after that....for about a week....But seroiulsy, even the worst NHL skaters (and I mean skaters, not goons like Colton Orr) are damn good...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 10:54 AM
SML

When I was growing up I used to go to hockey camp at RPI. They had one national championship team with a few guys who made it to the NHL. Adam Oates was the main guy. He used to call me Scotty Probert, because I was about a foot taller than everyone and was a pretty brutal hockey player. By brutal, I mean pretty bad, not always meaner. That guy had retarded skills. There was also Ken Hammond, who bounced from the Kings to the Rangers to the Leafs and all over. My little brother who was about 11 at the time had Ken busting his chops (he played goal) and my brother started calling Kenny "suitcase". Even the adults were cracking up at that one. I got to skate with Bobby Orr once. It was pretty much random, he just happened to be at this little outdoor rink in Albany signing autographs and took a skate. I was 15 or so and have a picture of me and him habnging on my wall. These were all fun, but it wasn't like we were ever teammates or anything.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:15 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

When i played for Montclair State University, Patrick Elias and Brendan Morrison were holding out with the Devils and couldnt practice with the team so they practiced with us a few times.

I was on a line with Elias and Morrison in a scrimmage and got a few points. It was unreal.

It was funny because we had a big nasty defensman on our team that was another Rangers fan and he high sticked Elias (who was wearing a half shield) and cut him and Elias got upset.

All the Rangers fans were smirking.

Also played with Bruce Driver, Randy Valichek, Bill Guerin and Yashin in some other leauges.

Scored a few goals on Manon Rheaume when i tried out for the Rockin Rollers way back when i was 17.

wow. Memories.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:17 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

HEY...this thread turned out not to be a bad idea after all.

Great stories guys!! Keep em coming!

I'd also like to bring up another story. During the NHL season most teams that played the Rangers would have their practices at Chelsea Piers. It was pretty cool seeing Vancouver, Phoenix, Montreal, and other NHL teams come to my job and practice before playing at the Garden. I drove the Zamboni at Chelsea (they're actually Olympia's) and whenever they would be done with their practice sessions, it would be my job to gather all the pucks, move the nets etc before cutting the ice. THESE GUYS TEAR THE ICE UP and they sharpen their skates at like, an inch and a quarter. (I know cuz I sharpened Glenn Anderson's as well as another player's from Phoneix, can't remember his name tho)

What was cool was these guys didn't wanna get off the dam ice and the players would still be shooting pucks, pinnin each other in the corners and even Donald Brashear (at the time with Vancouver) had a little practice scrap with someone as I walked right by them and tossed pucks into a bucket. I thought that was so cool to be on the ice while one of the toughest guys in the league scrapped with one of his teammates. Got to talk to Brashear about his bouts with Langdon and others at the time. He's alot cooler than I thought he would be, seems like such a d*** on TV. Georges Laraque was also a cool, cool dude lol. I have so many autographed pucks lol.

Also, Gretzky while playing for the Rangers and after retirement had his sons on the local New York City Cyclones team which plays at Chelsea. I got to skate with Wayne while practicing with the little guys and putting them thru a set of drills. Definitely had an ear to ear grin at the time. Cracked a few jokes with # 99 etc.

-B

Old
08-02-2007, 11:23 AM
frozenrubber

my hands down favorite, Jason Muzzatti...beat that!

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Got a cool story

When i worked in my younger days at Ice House in Hackensack - it had just opened and they had a number of different NHL teams practicing in any one of their 4 rinks.

Colorado was there and in closed practices (i'm pretty sure it was for the Devils - Avs final back in what, 2000?)

Anyway i was watching because employees were allowed and Sakic came in and blasted a WRIST SHOT that went through the glass, but not only the rink glass but also through a pane of lobby glass about 5 feet or so behind it. So essentially Sakic went through two panes of very tough glass with one wrist shot. Nuts. They just exploded.

The bad part?

I had to clean it up.

Old
08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Thats freakin awesome!^^^

Minus the fact that you had to clean it up lol.

I practiced a few times at Ice House.

Good stuff...

-B

Old
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
The Russian Rocket himself, in Moscow a few years ago. Talk about living a dream .

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Jackson Ranger

I play in a few charity games and get to play against some old timers:

Brian Mullen
Michel Petit
Bruce Driver
Ken Daneyko
John MacLean
Rob Skrlac
Gary Howatt
Ulf Samuelson
Brian Propp
Bob Kelly
Joe Watson
Rick MacLeish
Tim Kerr
Alexei Kasatonov
...and the Hanson Brothers

Mullen and Petit are great guys. Driver is Driver and Samuelson is a funny guy.

Also, played defense with Jimmy Dowd during the lockout in 95.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpieAnthony View Post
Benoit Hogue used to play open hockey at iceworks(now Isles practice facility) a few years back. He was not slow.
Thats crazy cuz he also skated more than a few times for the Chelsea team. I think it was while he was a UFA or something and he hadn't had a contract. It's amazing how much of step up these guys are when it comes to things like speed, passing, shooting and skill.

I remember Leetch and Schneider playing there too....Leetch was making touch passes to people with what looked like no effort and the puck would just explode off his stick. Man I was amazed.

-B

Old
08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm0otHocKeySPeeD View Post
Thats crazy cuz he also skated more than a few times for the Chelsea team. I think it was while he was a UFA or something and he hadn't had a contract. It's amazing how much of step up these guys are when it comes to things like speed, passing, shooting and skill.

I remember Leetch and Schneider playing there too....Leetch was making touch passes to people with what looked like no effort and the puck would just explode off his stick. Man I was amazed.

-B
Yeah its crazy how humbling it is when you actually play with them. With Elias, i just couldnt believe the explosiveness of his skating. The first 3 steps and stride out of the gate was so explosive. The general fitness and the quickness some of these guys have in the NHL is startling.

Old
08-02-2007, 11:57 AM
score77

Send a message via AIM to score77
around 93/94 i was in the coca cola future rangers all stars. we did drills and stuff at the garden before a game vs. the pens. the maloney brothers were there skating and running it. Ammonte took a pitcure with us but never skated. I was 5 and small, and it was supposed to be 7 and up. The jersey which i still have that they gave me came down to my ankles. Dave maloney for some reason kept calling me brian even though my name is Patrick. thats all i remeber though.

score77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:36 PM
caldercup0

Send a message via AIM to caldercup0
Skated With? Michael Nylander, at the "Skate the Town Blue" or whatever it was they had at the start of last season when they sent a bunch of players out to ice rinks in the area. I've met a bunch of others but haven't skated with them.

caldercup0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 12:54 PM
WeaponX00

I "skated" with Ortmeyer, Hollweg, and Prucha at a "Skate with the Rangers" signing event in the city last season. Unfortunatly no hockey was played . But I got my official "signing jersey" signed.

WeaponX00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 01:01 PM
hockeycoach

Years ago at a peewee hockey tournament in a suburb of Montreal, my team and I got to skate and scrimage with and Guy Lafluer. Now I know what it feels like to be a pylon.

Skated with Gary Galley, at a coaching clinic in a suburb of Ottawa

hockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Wow, lots of good stories. Mine is the worst of all - my Dad's work rented ice on Long Island at the Islanders practice rink during the playoffs one year(forget the name now). Their practice ran late and most of the team stayed on the ice afterwards just shooting around and they invited the little kids on the ice, so I got to skate with the '84 Islanders. I always felt like I jinxed them as they were going for 5 cups in a row at the time. We actually had icetime the morning they got back from Edmonton when they lost that series, watched as they were all miserable taking equipment off the bus

Also, I used to attend Providence College's summer hockey camp in the mid 80's, while Lou Lams was athletic director. Chris Terreiri was probably the only real NHL'er they had the years I attended. I got into a fight during an off-ice activity so they brought me to Lou who was sitting by himself in the stands watching potential recruits. He had me sit there in silence with him for about 20 minutes watching hockey. Then he turns and starts lecturing me about how 'This is not Brooklyn, we dont fight to settle our differences, etc' Ahh, fun memories....

Also, I played against goalie John Grahame in Colorado High School league the one year I lived there.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote