HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Plekanec become a 1st line center ?

Old
08-04-2007, 04:01 AM
mad_hab'er

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
So, do you think (Plekanec) has the potential to be a 1st line center ?
Highly doubtful.

I think the jury is still out on his ability to play on a scoring line. He has a lot to prove this season, in terms of his offensive game. If he can't play like he did through the second half of last season for the full season, he may need to work on the defensive aspects of his game more and become a two-way shutdown player.

mad_hab'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 04:34 AM
CallMeJerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
Jarmir Jagr : ??? you need to check his Washington Stats
Mark Messier? You've got to check his Vancouver stats.

If you haven't noticed, Jagr is awesome. Regardless of his passport.

CallMeJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:29 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Question away. Admittedly I have seen precious little of him. Having said that, I look at the depth in front of him, I look at what type of player he is, and I then think to myself: where does this guy fit in? When will the spot open up? Will he be the player BG puts in that role instead of any other player he might be able to acquire? All signs point to no openings for a player like him on the top two lines for atleast 2/3 years... maybe not even then. Any not to harp on the size thing, but is he really the next Martin St.Louis? I'm not holding my breath.
What size thing? Comparing D'Agostini to St. Louis' frame shows how little you've seen of this guy.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
When I spoke to Tony Berube about the Habs lineup last year, he said the downside on Plekanec is the same than Martin Rucinsky's downside, but the upside is better than Rucinsky.
How odd. The two players are nothing alike.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:47 PM
jordy

Are you on drugs? The only reason plekanec is slated to be in the #2 hole is because montreal are weak up the middle.

jordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Question away. Admittedly I have seen precious little of him. Having said that, I look at the depth in front of him, I look at what type of player he is, and I then think to myself: where does this guy fit in? When will the spot open up? Will he be the player BG puts in that role instead of any other player he might be able to acquire? All signs point to no openings for a player like him on the top two lines for atleast 2/3 years... maybe not even then. Any not to harp on the size thing, but is he really the next Martin St.Louis? I'm not holding my breath.
I don't get it. D'Agostini is 6'0". St. Louis is 5'9". Yes D'Agostini still needs to fill out his frame quite a bit, but he's only 20 years old. Size is not what will hold him back. The only question is his offensive upside. It might end up being limited, leaving him a potential third liner. Or he could improve on his good first season in the AHL, and become another Chris Higgins that some see his potential to be.

As for the next 2-3 years...
This year:
Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Streit/Lahti - Smolinski - Ryder
Next year:
Latendresse - Koivu - Kovalev
??? - Chipchura - ???
Third year:
Latendresse - ??? - ???
??? - Chipchura - ???

I see plenty of openings. I hesitate to number lines. Ideally I'd love to see Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn as our "third" line, only saying that to mean they'd be line matched against opposing top units at even strength.

As for Plekanec, I don't think he can be a true 1st line centre. I see him being on a 2nd/3rd line or whatever you would like to call it. A line that is out there against opposing top lines while also contributing offensively, all the while playing on the 2nd wave of the PP and killing penalties. That's a pretty valuable player. It's not just because of our lack of strength at centre, but rather because Plekanec seems to have few weak points in his game.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordy View Post
Are you on drugs? The only reason plekanec is slated to be in the #2 hole is because montreal are weak up the middle.
Were you on drugs when you selected your username?

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVX2K7 View Post
Were you on drugs when you selected your username?
Why? Jordy is a gansta

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Why? Jordy is a gansta
That was just wrong.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Bet he's had all them chicks.

Old
08-04-2007, 11:22 PM
toastman344*

*** is going on in here??

toastman344* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 11:36 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

well... I remember a song of his where he said: les nanas? Aucun probleme... Elles sont folles de moi!!!

the guy was so hot... I had a cassette of him and I used to listen to it jumping on my couch

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 11:44 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

don't you guys see a little resemblance between his dancing and Napoleon Dynamite's???

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
What size thing? Comparing D'Agostini to St. Louis' frame shows how little you've seen of this guy.
Not comparing. But how much does D'Ago weigh really? People could see that as being a similar barrier/obstacle to being short. And is the 6'0 for real, or are we talking about 5'11"? Anyway, I wasn't directly comparing, but he would get whipped around as is in the NHL.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
It would HAVE to come in the form of a prospect because the Habs don't attract UFA offensive (or defensive) stars who are still in their prime.
Franchise players don't become UFA's in their prime. The only exception I can think of is Niedermayer and the only reason he left was to go play with his little brother. So unless we get Frank Crosby on the team, we can forget about UFAs as a source of franchise players to build around.

UFAs are guys who either want more money than their worth or guys who are past their prime and want a change of scenery. And besides, as you said Montreal can't attract them to begin with. We need to take a different strategy.
Quote:
The best offensive player the Habs signed in the past decade was Doug Gilmour, and unfortunately his glory days were well behind him. AS for the prospects already in the system, they should improve the team, but by how much? The Devils had several HOF or near-HOF players, not just one. Same with the Red Wings, Avs, and Stars.
The Devils had several years of top five picks, ditto for the Wings, Avs and the Stars had a first overall (Modano) leading the way.

They built their core first and then used UFAs as the final piece of the puzzle. They were built around home grown guys and went from there.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Not comparing. But how much does D'Ago weigh really? People could see that as being a similar barrier/obstacle to being short. And is the 6'0 for real, or are we talking about 5'11"? Anyway, I wasn't directly comparing, but he would get whipped around as is in the NHL.
He's not overly weak and has the frame to add 10lbs or so of muscle. In any event, I think he literally got stronger as the year went on.

Old
08-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

So far Plekanec has moved up from 4th to 3rd to 2nd line center, displacing Bonk and Ribeiro along the way. If Koivu is injured, Plekanec becomes #1 by default.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Maxpac

do you guys remember a story about someone sleeping with Plecanek, i can't remember if i heard it here or somewhere else?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
So far Plekanec has moved up from 4th to 3rd to 2nd line center, displacing Bonk and Ribeiro along the way. If Koivu is injured, Plekanec becomes #1 by default.
Not necessarily. Smoke is always a decent option too, especially if Pleks still clicks with Higgs and Kost.

Old
08-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Not necessarily. Smoke is always a decent option too, especially if Pleks still clicks with Higgs and Kost.
THe Habs would be in a pickle if they had to use Smolinski as their first line center for a prolonged period. I think Gainey might call up someone from Hamilton if Koivu were to be out for, say, 6 weeks. In that case Carbonneau might move up Plekanec to play with Ryder and Latendresse and insert Grabovski between Higgins and Kostitsyn. That makes sense because Grabovski is used to playing with Kost.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I still say he racks up an unforeseen 70 pts this season
You get it right,as your prediction seems accurate and plausible.He's on pace to accumulate a 70 pts-production and he's only getting better as he's emerging as a
solid upper-tier 2nd center and may possibly turn into a 1st line centre.He has very decent talent and skills,but has a great work ethic and hockey sense.I like his vision and his hockey smarts.It'll compensate for his lack of uppertier talent IMO.

Let's revisit this thread...

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I still say he racks up an unforeseen 70 pts this season
You get it right,as your prediction seems accurate and plausible.He's on pace to accumulate a 70 pts-production and he's only getting better as he's emerging as a solid upper-tier 2nd center and may possibly turn into a 1st line centre.He has very decent talent and skills,but has a great work ethic and hockey sense.I like his vision and his hockey smarts.It'll compensate for his lack of uppertier talent IMO.

Let's revisit this thread...

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Since Plakanec is playing for the habs, he always improved his play. It started in Hamilton and it still continues. Last year, he had a bad start of season with Samsonov and Kovalev on the 2nd line. However, in the last part of the year, he was by far our best forward. If I'm not wrong he almost had an average of 1 PPG during the second half of the year. He was also doing a good job on the PK.

Now, we know Koivu is getting old and his carreer will be over in a few years. And we also know Koivu (or maybe Kovalev) is our best offensive forward.

However, Plekanec is better defensively than Koivu and if he was given 1st line minutes and more PP time, he would have put up better numbers than what he had this year. How much points he would have gotten ? I don't know. Could he replace our captain when he will retire ?

So, do you think he has the potential to be a 1st line center ?

Everyone but Koivu knows Pleks IS the first line center!

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneidanaC View Post
Everyone but Koivu knows Pleks IS the first line center!
I thought I heard on Rds that Koivu told Plekanec he was the 1st line center now?

Africa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
I thought I heard on Rds that Koivu told Plekanec he was the 1st line center now?
Many posters around here will do anything to discredit Koivu even flat out lie.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote