Notices

Goodbye Penner

Old
08-02-2007, 03:08 PM
r0adApples

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
How many 1st rounders of their own to use in an offer sheet do the ducks have?? Oh, thats right, they traded it to edmonton??? So I guess we dont need to worry about the ducks...

haha ohhh burnnnnn

r0adApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
Now sing it with me

I love Penner,
Penner Loves me ,
lets watch him grow up and make money.

With a shot from the point,
and 2 assists from Hemsky
Won't you say you love Penner ..please?

Hemsky and Please doesn't rhyme...

Rem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Zymergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsun View Post
The Oilers don't have money to waste? This isn't 2001. The Oilers were 7th in the league for revenue, so as long as the ownership is ok with the proper spending money isn't an issue.
There is this little thing called a Salary Cap that means teams have to be very selective about what players they are paying 12% of the cap space to. It has little to do with what the teams revenue is.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:13 PM
chris11inter

My Musical Career was not long lasting.

chris11inter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:13 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Smart move by Burke, not matching. You guys definitely come out on top in this deal.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:20 PM
_h0sehead_
I hate 'quackers'

its really too bad we had to give up penner
there goes my fantasy of bert and penner on the same line.

ouck filers?

_h0sehead_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
How many 1st rounders of their own to use in an offer sheet do the ducks have?? Oh, thats right, they traded it to edmonton??? So I guess we dont need to worry about the ducks...
But we do have a first in 09, which is the pick that would be used. Because 2008 + 1 off season = 2009. And who's to say we offer enough to overpay your players but not enough that you won't match? Although Penner will probably hamstring your cap enough as is.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Teal392511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
that's why the oil have to go after talented RFA and overpaying them b/c they lack the scouts to find talent. Hence, the lack of talented players available from the team and the outrageous salaries tended to still budding talent. I just hope this is just a single incident(the oil) rather than the whole league referring to Vanek/Penner to be the norm.
Unfortunately I believe it will be the norm from now on. At least for GMs to consider such a move.

However, it isn't all bad because you still have to make the right RFA signings. If the Penner deal is a dud, which it could be, then how will GMs look upon this in a year's time? The fact that there is "fair" draft picks compensation makes this move extremely risky for Lowe.

I don't think Burke would have been willing to spend even Stempniak money on Penner, and he was just making Lowe wait until the deadline because there was no way he was going to match. Keeping Penner would have meant that one of Perry and Getzlaf would be gone next season. Now they know that they can't just sign the highest contract and still hope to be on the Ducks with a big raise.

It is too bad that a championship team can't stay together these days, but the Ducks made the correct move for their future IMO.

Teal392511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:29 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

that's good
now they can park Bert in fron of the net with the Kids and Bert will be more aggressive then Penner

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by _h0sehead_ View Post
its really too bad we had to give up penner
there goes my fantasy of bert and penner on the same line.

ouck filers?
Don't think this was going to happen anyways.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken View Post
that's good
now they can park Bert in fron of the net with the Kids and Bert will be more aggressive then Penner
If Bert is playing with the kids, who is playing in the first line?

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Randall Graves*

I love how people think they are experts on players the moment they sign with their team.

Penners skill set is not really going to work with Hemsky. You will find that out in short time though.

And it's a crock Penner is getting alot more money than Zach Parise.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 03:33 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLau View Post
If Bert is playing with the kids, who is playing in the first line?
i am of course hoping Selanne comes back so that leaves the first line in tack

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:06 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Things I'll miss about Penner: Nicknames (Large Human, Big Penns), PPG nickname, shifts where we forecheck for a minute+,

Things I won't miss: nights off, 4.25 million, cursed Newport Beach home (let's burn it before someone else gets sent to Edmonton).

Old
08-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11inter View Post
Did you say Penner is an overpayment?
Do you recall you signing Todd Bertuzzi for $4M/Year.

With Penner gone and Selanne & Nieds not sure if there returning, Burky & the ducks may want to start worrying about there on ice performance rather then crying about losing penner.

Now sing it with me

I love Penner,
Penner Loves me ,
lets watch him grow up and make money.

With a shot from the point,
and 2 assists from Hemsky
Won't you say you love Penner ..please?
No, none of us recall that. Bert had that contract under his belt when we traded for him. Course, I'm not really sure what you're saying here.

So, Penner's suddenly the end-all-be-all to the Oil's problems? Penner's a great player, but he didn't earn that contract and Burke was very smart to not match the offer and receive 3 draft picks in a very strong draft. Whether he decides to use them in the draft or trade them, imo, it was a smart move.

Penner could become a force to be reckoned with for the rest of his career, he could also be a flop. A lot remains to be seen. My 2nd favorite team is the Ducks, so here's to hoping they regain last year's from!

08-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Zymergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
No, none of us recall that. Bert had that contract under his belt when we traded for him.
He was a UFA, we did not trade for him.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:18 PM
fez

So how I see it:

Both teams get an overpaid power forward

One team gives up a first, a second and a third for theirs

fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNcopper View Post
I expect more moderation from a moderator.
Remember: As moderators, we aren't allowed to have opinions on anything, even on our own team boards.

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymergist View Post
He was a UFA, we did not trade for him.
I figured the poster I responding to was refering to the Panthers, since he was repsonding to a Panther fan.

However, now that I see the amount, I believe he was making more with the Panthers. I don't know all the numbers of the game, but I do realize the Ducks signed him as a UFA.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 04:44 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNcopper View Post
I expect more moderation from a moderator.
Leave the moderation to us, because it's clear you have no idea how it works.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
ktulu98

ok so bobby ryan is ready for NHL now

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

This is a real double edged sword kind of fiasco here. Lowe gets Penner, yippee...but Penner is a 25 year old who puts up somewhere around .5 points per game. Paying him over $4M a season is insanity, and is going to put him in hot water with management in Edmonton, since they usually don't have money to waste. Kind of think he wanted the Ducks to match and be forced to trade someone else.

But for the Ducks, Penner's a great energy guy, and was a key player in the Cup run, as well as last year's great run. It really hurts to lose him, especially if it's on top of Nieds and Teemu. I'm a Panthers fan, but Penner quickly became my favorite player in the 2006 playoffs. But there's no way on Earth he's worth over $3M a season. And that's a stretch at that.

I really hope Edmonton gets hamstrung over this deal, and that Lowe loses his job and never gets hired as a GM again - he's hurt the whole league with this deal, since it sets a bad precedent, and was also another case of fiscal irresponsibility that all the agents across the league will be looking at.

Anyway, good luck next year guys, and if nothing else, here's to hoping the Ducks are 4-0 against the Oil next season.
How did Lowe set the precedent? Did you not pay attention to all the offer sheets that the Blues and other teams like the Rangers and Hurricanes sent out in the
1990's??? How is Lowe hurting the league anymore than Philly paying Briere 10mil this season, or NYR giving Gomez 7.35mil/season?? Offer sheets have been sent out before...ie the Leafs giving one to Ohlund.....don't act like what Kevin Lowe is doing is something new. Also, there is now a salary cap, so the max anyone can spend is 50.3mil, so if Lowe or any other GM wants to get to that # by paying more for RFA's than UFA's, that's his perogative. It's not like Anaheim got nothing in this deal, and yes it's an overpay for Penner, but it's just common sense that in order to get a player who is a RFA, you have to make the offer higher than he would ordinarily get, otherwise what's the point, the player's current team would just match it without thinking twice about it.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
How did Lowe set the precedent? Did you not pay attention to all the offer sheets that the Blues and other teams like the Rangers and Hurricanes sent out in the
1990's??? How is Lowe hurting the league anymore than Philly paying Briere 10mil this season, or NYR giving Gomez 7.35mil/season?? Offer sheets have been sent out before...ie the Leafs giving one to Ohlund.....don't act like what Kevin Lowe is doing is something new. Also, there is now a salary cap, so the max anyone can spend is 50.3mil, so if Lowe or any other GM wants to get to that # by paying more for RFA's than UFA's, that's his perogative. It's not like Anaheim got nothing in this deal, and yes it's an overpay for Penner, but it's just common sense that in order to get a player who is a RFA, you have to make the offer higher than he would ordinarily get, otherwise what's the point, the player's current team would just match it without thinking twice about it.
Briere and Gomez aren't RFA, and aren't comparables for Getzlaf, Perry, Ovechkin, Stoll, etc.

Offer sheets from before also have no effect on post-cap world, and are also way too old to be used as comparables.

Lowe sets a precedent for unproven players coming off entry contracts. Fedorov and Sakic were for late 20s, proven stars.

Old
08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Lowe sets a precedent for unproven players coming off entry contracts.
I hate to state the obvious but the offer sheet to Kesler last year set that precedent.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2007, 05:47 PM
chris11inter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fez View Post
So how I see it:

Both teams get an overpaid power forward

One team gives up a first, a second and a third for theirs
Yea .. Each team got an overpaid power forward.

1 Team - game up a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round draftpick.

The other pays for a guys whose best 2 or 3 years are far behind him and SIGNED HIM AS A UFA and didn't trade for him.

If you are going to try and tell me that Bertuzzi is worth 4Mil & Penner isn't then there really is no arguing because that would be a ridicioulus statement in my opinion?

The guy is 24 or 25 and has tremendous upside.

Anyhow its all talk until we truly see what happens.

chris11inter is online now   Reply With Quote