Nice job on reaching that feat. I won't be there for awhile

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Akingnomore07*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore Oil View Post
Anaheim's a weaker team today than yesterday. Duckpuck fans should now ask - "What is Burke doing to rectify that?" Looks like it's hard staying elite in a salary-capped world.

Penner is more valuable to the Oilers, as it turns out.
The Oilers aren't exactly looking like a contender themselves. Plus Calgary, Vancouver, and the Avs are going to pound them. Bad luck Oilers, I hope karma bites you in the rear

Akingnomore07* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 02:49 AM
ktulu98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akingnomore07 View Post
Nice job on reaching that feat. I won't be there for awhile
but once you will be there dont worry

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 03:09 AM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I wonder where Edmonton fans get this illusion they are going to be solid next season. The only player who scored over 20 goals last year for them is the player they just got from us.

Top 10 pick here we come!
altho i agree with you about the pick being another top 10 pick... you can not judge the players on the oilers based on last yrs production when they had ZERO offensive support from their backend. the difference this yr is that they actually have quality puck moving d-men which they didn't have last yr....

if you look at the numbers, they have their top 3 scorers from 2 yrs ago back as well as penner as well as arguably the best PP dman in the league on their team.

there should be no debate as to whether the oilers have improved, but.......we'll see how the package comes together.

right now it looks like they don't have enough O.... but if the O comes back to 05-06 form, they'll be ok. thats why oiler fans are stoked....

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:58 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by curb View Post
Also, isn't it funny Burke calls Kevin Lowe classless when he signed Todd Burtuzzi? The player with the least class in the league which should be in jail.
ahahahaha....hahahahaha....hahahahahaha.....hahaha hahahhaahahaha.....

wooo...they just keep getting better

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 06:35 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Honestly I can't say Edmonton is as good as any of those 4 teams. They still have done nothing to prevent goals. Pitkanen may be a puck mover but he played like a girl last year, Souray is not a puck mover really.

They have an injury pronenear 40 year old goalie, no offensive superstar, and a defense that won't be known for it's defensive ability.
FYP

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiral_CB View Post
Edmonton's recent finishes:

06-07: 25th
05-06: 14th
03-04: 17th
02-03: 14th
01-02: 15th

So in the lottery or pretty damn close.
I don't want to overrate the Oilers, but don't you realise just how stupid that sounds?

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
it is ryan for penner

or bryz+somebody or picks for 2nd line wing

<------- 1000
the problem with Ryan for penner is that ryan has 4.050 mill in achievable rookie bonuses that will be applied to next year's cap. Having ryan is more problematic than retaining Penner as penner could have been traded after this season, Ryan's cap hit can't be traded.

go to nhlnumbers.com and look at next year's cap situation. Remove Kunitz'z contract and add 4.05 mill for ryan's bonus and Burke is over the cap without signing Getzlaff or Perry.

If neidermeyer retires, then you will be at 43 mill with Kunitz, Perry, and Getzlaff to sign. I can foresee another rfa raid next summer.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Pwnasaurus

Getzlaf will be signing a long term deal with the Ducks. Any takers on action against this?

And by long term I mean multi-year (>= 3)

Old
08-03-2007, 08:17 AM
facts

I have no problem with the offer and I have no problem with the way it was done. I do however have a problem with the way Burke and Lowe are handling this through the media.
Lowe made a move to better his team, they got the player they wanted and took advantage of a team against the ropes. A team that was built by another GM, in fact his only two acquasitions were Pronger (big contract inherited) and Neidermeyer (big contract offered) so he should reevaluate his words. Burke will earn his money next year when he has to sign the Perrys' and Getzlafs'. If he thinks he has seen inflated deals right now wait until next year.
I think Burke is whining because he was a sitting duck, no pun intended. It could have been Parise, Camillari or even Vanek for that matter but for whatever reason Edmonton liked Penner. So move on and accept it everyone got something and that is it.
And finally the term "gutless" is so over used by Burke. If he wants to talk about respect Lowe has won how many cups as a player and Burke has won how many as a player......so I don't think he should be talking with underlying refernce to a hockey legion without being part of it, you would think that a laywer would have a broader vocabulary.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
Lowe made a move to better his team, they got the player they wanted and took advantage of a team against the ropes. A team that was built by another GM, in fact his only two acquasitions were Pronger (big contract inherited) and Neidermeyer (big contract offered) so he should reevaluate his words.
The deal to rid the team of Fedorov's contract (which freed up money to make the acquisitions you cited) AND acquire a very good young defenseman (Beauchemin) in the process is one of the best trades of the last 10 years and the best in the salary cap era for what it did for the future (and I suppose present) state of the team. That trade was an all out fleece and was a main cog in the arrival of the Stanley Cup to Anaheim post haste.

Old
08-03-2007, 09:20 AM
fez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB420 View Post
Exactly, well said soundwave...thats the thing that sorta gets twisted in this. Burke didnt nessicarily admit today in that press.conf, that he never thought of Getzlaf or Perry in higher regards than Penner. If Im Burky i prolly do the same thing.

Nonis did not have to match the Kessler contract, for around 1.7 or w/e. one american writer sort of inferred that this is a rare thing, GMs usually decide to match. Like you mentioned though sw, that why lowball the player. Kevin Lowe said before all the dust settled with Vanek, that if you're offering this contract to RFA's they have to be lucrative deals, and worth it for the team going after them.

KLowe mentioned that the length of the contract is because of the draft picks involves. Makes sense totally, if for say, we signed Penner today for like a 2 year deal for 4Mill, then give up the same 1st,2nd, 3rd round picks, it's not fair compensation etc.

IMo, I can get this from Burkes point of view, im not sure what the reaction is from Ducks fans,. of this going down. If after the entry level contract expires Group2 I believe, a team made an effort to sign Stoll from the Oilers. Its tough comparing those 2 specific players though, Stoll and Penner. Jarret Stoll was drafted first of all, if Penner was drafted and playing in his first full season, and another team plucks him off your roster, I would be sweatin too.

You can't really predict future talent of a player and how he might translate in 3 or 4 years ahead in his NHL career,I guess thats the scouts job, but you can sure put odds on it and have to pay the coin for it. Its a real strategic move, Im not sure if I nessicarily agree though man, that we're affecting ever other team in the league. Maybe in some ways we are, Penner's contract wont inflate the league. Comparible players tho it would for sure, of that age group, I.E Burke mentioned in that press.conf Parise getting his 4 years for 12...Not 1 of the 30 GM's in the NHL would take Bertuzzi at 4-mill a season over Penner at 4.25, thats a fair knock against Burke, he might have another trick up his sleeve stashed in his pocket for down the road, Brian Burke is a slyfox he knows this business, he was asst.Commisoner at one point in the early 90's. I got respect for that, he's been a real credible GM, Brutally honest, he will say what he feels, maybe it's perceived that Burke is a whiner, in some way I agree he is contracdicting himself on the Beruzzi deal, he never had to Ink Bert to his contract Early July. Im not sure what his gameplan for that is.

The old, classic saying right, about Hockey players never forget, well it's twice that among the GMs and their brethern It's a legit move, this Dustin Penner transaction. Burkie allready said he thinks we're guiding our team into the sewer, so Penner sounds like he has alot to prove to his old team. Of course when Anaheim played Edmonton last season, we hoped Lupul had something to prove to his old club

With all the politics n everything about this aside, it's poetic justice more then anything We' were owed one, Burke won't have that same mentality though.

Remember Sedin is not sweedish for Hook...Slash..., Crosscheck me in the face! =D
Can someone please translate this?

Because I cannot make sense of what the **** you are trying to say

fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the problem with Ryan for penner is that ryan has 4.050 mill in achievable rookie bonuses that will be applied to next year's cap. Having ryan is more problematic than retaining Penner as penner could have been traded after this season, Ryan's cap hit can't be traded.

go to nhlnumbers.com and look at next year's cap situation. Remove Kunitz'z contract and add 4.05 mill for ryan's bonus and Burke is over the cap without signing Getzlaff or Perry.

If neidermeyer retires, then you will be at 43 mill with Kunitz, Perry, and Getzlaff to sign. I can foresee another rfa raid next summer.
NHLscap says Ryan is 2 million next year including bonuses. Who knows what's the real number.

Also shouldn't his cap number go down for the year after next year since some of those bonuses shouldn't have slid? I think Ryan signed last year, so his contract was extended once, so part of the bonuses should not count in the 3rd year. I think it's only the signing bonus part, but it should go down a little.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Offshore Oil

This is Karma, bud - Pronger Karma

All this Oil-Duck sniping is unfortunate when the two teams are eerily similar in their post-long-playoff-run dismantling / crumbling. It surely feels better when Lord Stanley is in the house, no doubt.
The Ducks will be good and should make the playoffs this year but, sans Penner, Selanne, Neidermayer... it will be a big test for Carlyle to reconfigure the team... Bertuzzi is not the answer! San Jose looks good to win the Division right now with LA giving it a good go.

Oilers - who knows? This is such a total makeover, we won't know until December but, look at Vancouver last year...

Offshore Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:52 AM
fez

Quote:
Bertuzzi is not the answer!
Neither is Penner

fez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:

All this Oil-Duck sniping is unfortunate when the two teams are eerily similar in their post-long-playoff-run dismantling / crumbling. It surely feels better when Lord Stanley is in the house, no doubt.
The Ducks will be good and should make the playoffs this year but, sans Penner, Selanne, Neidermayer... it will be a big test for Carlyle to reconfigure the team... Bertuzzi is not the answer! San Jose looks good to win the Division right now with LA giving it a good go.

Oilers - who knows? This is such a total makeover, we won't know until December but, look at Vancouver last year...
Bertuzzi doesn't have to be "the answer". Bertuzzi has to scored 20 goals, 50 points, and not destroy the room.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 11:40 AM
190Octane

Quote:
Which is ironic because Lowe has been fleeced by the Ducks 3 straight times in 3 different ways in a non-trade, a trade and a RFA signing.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
A team that was built by another GM, in fact his only two acquasitions were Pronger (big contract inherited) and Neidermeyer (big contract offered) so he should reevaluate his words.
This is about as wrong as it gets. Burke signed or traded for EVERY defenseman on that team. Selanne, Marchant, Moen, and any forward with toughness (May, Thornton, Parros, etc) were all brought in by Burke as well.

I'd say Burke had quite a large hand in building this team.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 11:59 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
This is about as wrong as it gets. Burke signed or traded for EVERY defenseman on that team. Selanne, Marchant, Moen, and any forward with toughness (May, Thornton, Parros, etc) were all brought in by Burke as well.

I'd say Burke had quite a large hand in building this team.
Are you saying that that poster is ironically named?

Old
08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
That did cross my mind, yes. 'Only the facts that support me' would be an apt name.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Pwnasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
LOL the ironing is delicious.

Old
08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
That did cross my mind, yes. 'Only the facts that support me' would be an apt name.
And you could call yourself "you can't handle the truth."

Old
08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Zymergist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
the problem with Ryan for penner is that ryan has 4.050 mill in achievable rookie bonuses that will be applied to next year's cap.
That $4.05M bonus is spread over his entire rookie contract, that max he can get next year for salary+bonus is $1.9M.

Zymergist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Tfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymergist View Post
That $4.05M bonus is spread over his entire rookie contract, that max he can get next year for salary+bonus is $1.9M.
If true, thats a relief. I was worried about the "bonus" issue with Ryan. However, if he's not ready, lets not rush him. Miller, i kinda wanna see what he can do with playing time.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote