HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Now is it time for the Stars to hit the panic button?

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Now is it time for the Stars to hit the panic button?

Losing 5 - 0 to the Yotes in the 3rd, and will be a .500 hockey team through the first half of the season.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:29 PM
_Del_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Losing 5 - 0 to the Yotes in the 3rd, and will be a .500 hockey team through the first half of the season.
6-0...

Old
01-02-2004, 05:30 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Del_
6-0...
Who is in goal?

Old
01-02-2004, 05:34 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Joe
Both goalies. What a brutal start for the Stars.
Yeah, that's terrible.

Modano 15:49 mins -1 1 Shot

Old
01-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

What in the hell is wrong with Marty Turco?! They must really miss Derian Hatcher.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Mizral

For those who forgot, I posted a 'Time to hit the Panic Button' thread regarding the Stars, but nobody listened! M=G and Trots for instance, were saying how silly of an idiot!

Now, I'm not saying I'm a super-genius, but I'm not not saying it!

*falls over himself laughing*

Alright really, it was time to make some big moves some time ago, but surely Armstrom and Tippet realize their jobs are on the line. Expect a big move soon.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:56 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
What in the hell is wrong with Marty Turco?!
So he pulls a Carey/sieve for 1 year. Theodore did the same and he turned out ok.

Old
01-02-2004, 05:58 PM
nsela

Quote:
What in the hell is wrong with Marty Turco?! They must really miss Derian Hatcher.
With all due respect, tonight being an exception, Turco has played great as of late, and the Stars are 5-2-3 over their last 10. They have allowed an average of 1.8 goals per game over that span. For those counting, that includes the 6 goals tonight.

Though Modano has been far from god this season, the last 10 games things started coming back together for Dallas. So no, you don't push the panic button because of one game. Especially when over the last little while the team has been starting to play with confidence. That's quite silly.

In addition I should add: No, I'm not a Stars fan.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:04 PM
Thalia

6-0 loss at home is definitely embarrassing but on the other hand: haven't the 'Yotes been playing really really well lately in their brand new building... maybe they deserve some credit?

Old
01-02-2004, 06:06 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia
6-0 loss at home is definitely embarrassing but on the other hand: haven't the 'Yotes been playing really really well lately in their brand new building... maybe they deserve some credit?
Aren't they 1-1 in their new building and wasn't this game in Dallas?

Old
01-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Time to hit the panic button, eh? In that case.....

Zubov, Numminen, Arnott for Simpson, Ward, Johnson

And if BM's in a good mood, he'll give you your very own autographed card of

PAVEL TRNKA

absolutely free!

Seriously though, I think the captaincy should go to someone else. Yes, he is their leader, but isn't handling it well. Maybe someone else would do better.

Or otherwise, maybe Tippet has to go.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Spaceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
For those who forgot, I posted a 'Time to hit the Panic Button' thread regarding the Stars, but nobody listened! M=G and Trots for instance, were saying how silly of an idiot!

Now, I'm not saying I'm a super-genius, but I'm not not saying it!

*falls over himself laughing*

Alright really, it was time to make some big moves some time ago, but surely Armstrom and Tippet realize their jobs are on the line. Expect a big move soon.
Hey,I listened to ya,man. If M=G STILL doesn't believe it's time to hit the panic button,then he is just another blind homer.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Aren't they 1-1 in their new building and wasn't this game in Dallas?
Have they really only played one game in their new building?

Still, I seem to recall the 'Yotes playing quite well lately. Maybe some 'Yotes fans can pipe in and give the stats.

Old
01-02-2004, 06:21 PM
guinness
those were the days

It's still early to hit the panic button, didn't a certain Ducks team turn it on during the second half last season, that and the Pacific is a fairly weak division, it doesn't take a lot for teams there to jump around several spots within a given time frame.

Old
01-02-2004, 10:33 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Dallas has a few players that usually like to turn it up during crunch time. This year, however, "crunch time" is basically now until the end of the season if they plan on making the playoffs.
I don't care what people say, the Stars miss Hatcher. Numminen does NOT make up for the former captain and Boucher was at most their #3 d-man last year, behind Hatcher and Zubov. Losing Hatcher hurt, and losing a depth d-man like Sydor hurt as well. The Stars are pretty deep up the middle, and a trade for another d-man couldn't hurt.
While the defence has been somewhat suspect this year(probably a chemistry thing as they adjusted to the post-Hatcher era), I was quite surprised with the lack of offence from the Moneybag players up front. Steadily becoming NY Rangers West, the Stars need especially their captain to start leading, which he hasn't been. Funny, over the summer people were fawning over how Modano would make the perfect replacement as captain if Hatcher couldn't be re-signed.
I think Hicks still has some patience...he'll probably start REALLY getting steamed when it gets closer to the trade deadline and the Stars haven't improved a lot.

Old
01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Gah, what's the commotion? We lose for only the 2nd time in our last 10. I couldn't care less by how many as a loss is a loss, and hell, Tugnutt was in net for most of the game, so there's your excuse right there. And besides, I was expecting a big loss tonight anyhow, it didn't come by surprise, the Stars are playing that predictable.

The Stars are an inconsistant team right now, they can play such a frustrating, enigmatic style like nothing can motivate them, yet they do have bright sides and these's still plenty of time left to show what they've got. A 6-0 loss asks for explenation, this could be the make or break point of the Stars. They could respond in a huge way (meetings, aquisitions), or lose all their confidence they had left and blow even more.

And yes Mizral, you are so brillant. Every freakin post that you made where we were proven wrong, you have to call out with "I told you so", "I knew it", yada, yada.

And FYI, Modano was hit on a slapshot by Bill Guerin and played with a bruised ankle for a large chunk of the game.

I'm not here to defend anyone or anything, the Stars do suck this season, but they can make the postseason.

Old
01-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Dallas has a few players that usually like to turn it up during crunch time. This year, however, "crunch time" is basically now until the end of the season if they plan on making the playoffs.
I don't care what people say, the Stars miss Hatcher. Numminen does NOT make up for the former captain and Boucher was at most their #3 d-man last year, behind Hatcher and Zubov. Losing Hatcher hurt, and losing a depth d-man like Sydor hurt as well. The Stars are pretty deep up the middle, and a trade for another d-man couldn't hurt.
While the defence has been somewhat suspect this year(probably a chemistry thing as they adjusted to the post-Hatcher era), I was quite surprised with the lack of offence from the Moneybag players up front. Steadily becoming NY Rangers West, the Stars need especially their captain to start leading, which he hasn't been. Funny, over the summer people were fawning over how Modano would make the perfect replacement as captain if Hatcher couldn't be re-signed.
I think Hicks still has some patience...he'll probably start REALLY getting steamed when it gets closer to the trade deadline and the Stars haven't improved a lot.
The statsheet does not tell everything son. It's the offense that's been sucking. The defense has actually been amazing the past 20 games, untill last night, our PK ranked 2nd and had the 4th lowest goals against.

The offense on the other hand, has been blown out an NHL-leading 8 times and averages 1.97 goals a game. And sure, Boucher is a #3 at best, all he did was outplay both Zubov and Hatcher ever since he got here.

There's just no effort, no dedication...

Old
01-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Quite the Stars fan ain't ya....Tuggy only played for a bit of the first period there Stars FAN, he was pulled after letting in 2 goals on 7 shots.

Umm...does 7 shots count as most of the game compared to Turco's 19 shots?

Link

Turco played most of the game, he had 15 saves and let in 4 goals, Tugnutt had 5 saves and let in 2 goals.....
I know, I know, but it doesn't seem quite as worse with Tugnutt playing more. Had to give one legit excuse..

Old
01-03-2004, 12:52 AM
Safir*

Is the capataincy too much of a burden for Mike Modano?

Old
01-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Is the capataincy too much of a burden for Mike Modano?
No, the captaincy really has nothing to do with this team playing bad. They've been good for the past couple of weeks. Still, the offense is a problem.

Old
01-03-2004, 05:25 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
they should trade modano to toronto while they still can

we will offer reichel

Old
01-03-2004, 08:47 AM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I have to be honest...I'm surprised your coach's head wasn't delivered on a platter to the GM.

If you plan on making the playoffs, you'd better get your act together and fast. Modano a -19? Holy schnikees...I've not heard anyone that bad in years!

I would have said something about Marty Turco and being snakebit at times, but I won't.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kira
I would have said something about Marty Turco and being snakebit at times, but I won't.
Turco has been great lately. The real problem is the Stars have been shutout eight times in 40 games. The offense is terrible.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:32 AM
JOCA

Send a message via ICQ to JOCA Send a message via AIM to JOCA
They're only 4 points out of first in the Pacific and i'm not sold on San Jose or Los Angelas. I don't see the point of this thread at this time of the season. Sure they've played bad but they have the talent to turn it around. The only thing that will hold them back is their D and Turco.

Old
01-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
I think they miss Sydor [as much or] more than Hatcher. Defensively they're not the same team anymore, that's for sure. And Turco is feeling the effects. Not even Patrick Roy is going to dominate game after game, unless he has a rock solid defense in front (rock solid being a step down from "great", etc.).

Dallas' D is positively average at best... I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a move for a good dman before the big Spring deadline. They have to if they want to compete in the playoffs.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 01-03-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Closed Thread