HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Penner goes to Oilers...

Old
08-06-2007, 04:12 AM
PruchaPower

vCash: 500
Here's the big question, at least for me:

Can Penner produce and find as much open ice in the slot as he did with the Ducks, especially considering he was playing with two of the most dangerous young players in the game in Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry?

My first year with NHL CI was 05-06, and I made a point to adopt the Ducks as my "West Coast Team" to give myself a reason to stay up late to watch those games every night. I grew to like Penner a lot, and I hate to see him leave because the Penner-Getzlaf-Perry unit had fantastic potential. At the same time, he's replaceable, especially if the Ducks are willing to stick Bobby Ryan in his spot (though I think Bertuzzi is more likely if they are set on keeping Getzlaf and Perry together). That's the big thing here, and why the Ducks let him walk. They had no reason to pay a replaceable player that kind of money, even if it was available due to Niedermayer's retirement (should that happen), especially when they were getting those picks back.

For the Oilers, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Penner will get 1st line minutes on ES and the PP, where he'll get to hang out in front of the net and clean up a lot of garbage on the PP. He'll probably score 35 goals. The only question is if he can elevate the game of Hemsky and Horcoff, or whichever pair of Oilers he ends up playing with. I don't think he will be that type of player for the first two years of the deal. Maybe toward the end, but definitely not now, especially when you consider his lack of true play making and goal scoring prowess. He's a good 2nd liner on a good team at this point, and a great 3rd liner on a championship team. His potential is more than that, and maybe the 1st line minutes in Edmonton will help him get there, but the bottom line is that the move reeks of desperation and will ultimately be a bad one when the Oilers miss the playoffs and the Ducks are picking in the Top 15 or using that pick to get another key player to defend the Cup.

PruchaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 10:40 AM
DarthSather99

In order to have any legitimate shot at getting a RFA you HAVE to overpay. If you offer a reasonable contract the original team will have no problem matching the offer and you just wasted your time.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Fletch

AJ...

If Penner continues to score 30 goals, it will be a good deal for the Oilers, and he can help them immediately. Burke lost a 30 goal scorer after his team won the Cup and have momentum - he shouldn't be too happy about taht. Perhaps, though, he should've offered Penner a better contract at some point and locked him up so it didn't have to come down to this (I do not knowing all the details of the Penner situation over the past several months, so what I said may not have been applicable).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Alcoolique*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2958805

I think it's interesting that Lowe signed a couple RFAs to offer sheets and got one. Pretty ballsy - and it seems as though he's now in a war with Burke. The question becomes, will we be seeing more of this, or was the Oilers just that desparate to re-tool their team?
Desesperate to re-tool their team? I don't think so, Since that Left Wing power forward, they were in need to get one, And Penner at 4.3millions , in the years to come, His contract will become to ' Overpay' to 'Decent' ..And, the Oilers next year will still have a 1st round pick, Which is amazing for them.

So, I think Lowe did a pretty damn nice job for picking up Penner.

Alcoolique* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajac View Post
Desesperate to re-tool their team? I don't think so, Since that Left Wing power forward, they were in need to get one, And Penner at 4.3millions , in the years to come, His contract will become to ' Overpay' to 'Decent' ..And, the Oilers next year will still have a 1st round pick, Which is amazing for them.

So, I think Lowe did a pretty damn nice job for picking up Penner.
I have seen Penner play, and I seriously question if he will ever be worth 4.3 mil, let alone right now. And as for the Oilers still having a first round pick, it will be in the mid to late twenties, while thier own first rounder that they gave up will likely be in the top 10, where I feel in this draft it is possible to get a guy who will have more of an impact then Penner.

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote