HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 Rookie & Training Camp Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Well that's a bit of a surprise. No big deal about Dovgan, assuming he gets ample ice-time with his RSL club. In a way, this move helps lessen the potential d-man logjam in Hershey/SC. Plus, it's got to be a lot more assuring for him to be closer to his wife & little one.

I think the RSL season started this past Monday.

Old
09-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Dovgan in the RSL is a bit of a surprise. He seemed like he wanted to be here. However, if he can stick with a first league team, he'll make more money and improve his game more than he would in SC or on the backend of a deep Hershey team.

In 2-3 years time, he should be ready to make the jump. I'm fine with it.

Old
09-07-2007, 11:13 PM
PSUhockey34

he's shown the willingness to play in NA, that's good enough for me right now

Old
09-07-2007, 11:33 PM
The Viking Fury

Definitely a bummer. I was excited to see him this year in the chocolate and white

Old
09-08-2007, 01:17 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Well it does sort of help a little bit of the prospect log jam slightly this season. I'm almost positive Finley very well go pro next year and Alzner could as well.

New Tarik WaPo article on the rookie camp starting:

Quote:
While Backstrom is a lock to play in Washington next season, several other youngsters will need a strong showing this week to earn an opportunity. Among those who figure to get a long look are right wing Fran?ois Bouchard and defenseman Karl Alzner, the Capitals' No. 5 overall pick in June.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090702434.html

09-08-2007, 04:48 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Wonder if family concerns prompted Dovgan to play in Russia this season?
Yeah, Vogs confirms it in his blog.

Quote:
Defenseman Viktor Dovgan has signed a contract with CSKA Moscow and will remain in his native country to play in 2007-08. The 20-year-old defenseman played his first year pro last season, skating for the ECHL’s South Carolina Stingrays. Married with an infant child, Dovgan was homesick for a good bit of last season and had hoped to bring his family to the States in 2007-08. He may have realized that it will be easier for him and his family to remain in Russia this season and to return to the States at some point in the future.
http://dumpnchase.wordpress.com/2007...ate-scratches/

Old
09-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Tomppav

Send a message via AIM to Tomppav
Dovgan has actually played already two games in Russia. His team CSKA lost the first one 4-2, but won the next one 5-3. Dovgan was listed as the 7th d-man in the first game and an as a 3rd d-pair player in the second one.

http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?...sl_news&id=615
http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?...sl_news&id=617

Old
09-08-2007, 10:51 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Capitals' Backstrom Takes Crash Course

Quote:
Nicklas Backstrom and Michael Nylander were the last two players to leave the ice Thursday at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington.

Nylander is expected to be a mentor for his countryman, and the pair of Swedes were getting in some extra skating work.

"He is a great guy," Backstrom said. "I know him from before, and it is good to have a Swedish guy to talk to for advice or something like if I don't know the word in English, I can ask him. He is a great player, too. When we skate together after practice, it can only be good for me."
http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/...68/1005/SPORTS

Old
09-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post

Good to see Backstorm getting used to the smaller ice, he is showing that he is really commited to playing.

Old
09-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Head on over to OFB for quality coverage of today's practice. Great stuff, EM.

Old
09-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Thanks, Langway. Practices aren't too thrilling, but it was nice to be in the facility again.

Bonus coverage: on the way out, I was behind Brian Sutherby's black Escalade (the Alberta plates were a giveaway). He obeyed all the traffic laws, unlike Strung's encounter with a certain flaky Russian forward.

Old
09-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Cush
-inator

Japers has quick interviews with Bouchard and Backstrom

http://japersrink.blogspot.com/2007/...backstrom.html

Old
09-08-2007, 04:18 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMaybe View Post

Bonus coverage: on the way out, I was behind Brian Sutherby's black Escalade (the Alberta plates were a giveaway). He obeyed all the traffic laws, unlike Strung's encounter with a certain flaky Russian forward.
I guess that means he drives as slow as he skates

Old
09-08-2007, 04:53 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
I guess that means he drives as slow as he skates
hahaha

Old
09-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Bäckströms english is surprisingly bad. Good thing that the caps got Nylander and Boumedienne to help him out.

Old
09-08-2007, 07:07 PM
sk84fun_dc

Thanks for the write-up Empty, for those that won't look without the link...

Link to OFB write-up about RC Day 1

and he isn't kidding about Gordon's volume on the "wheel wheel wheel"

and a Vogel Washcaps post about Day 1

Link

Pokulok definitely stood out this morning, in a good way; he did not look tentative out there and was throwing hits, etc.

and the Neuvirth update sounds consistent with what McPhee said earlier this summer, but it is interesting to hear a coach, who is a former goalie, commenting on his situation.

other comments:

Glad to see Pinizzzotto and Sloan on the ice since they only took part in off-ice stuff during the development camp. Gordon and Joudrey with chemistry on passing drills, etc., nothing new there; drills and more drills...

It was great to see Fehr on the ice! with Steckel, Green and Bourque after the rookie camp finished.

Stupid lack of an IIHF transfer agreement.

I was very surprised to hear about Dovgan since last season he came over without an NHL contract and didn't sign one until mid-season. Also, he put effort into learning English, etc. As noted in the blogs, perhaps this has to do with his young family (and visas, etc. or concern over being shipped up and down from Hershey to SC.) There are a lot of D prospects fighting for those slots in Hershey this season, but I was hoping to see him play this season in the AHL.

Given he is only 20 (and Russian and the lack of the IIHF agreement), the shock should be that he has already played a pro NA season. I don't see it being a big issue from a development perspective if this is for one year, but it is disappointing. From a money/contract perspective, my understanding is his contract slid by not playing 10 NHL games and being 19 so he still has 3 years left on his entry level deal, which isn't for a lot of dollars. Anyway, hopefully this is just for the one season.

Old
09-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Pokulok rebounding in a big way would be an absolutely excellent development this year. Nice job, EM.

Old
09-08-2007, 09:59 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Pokulok rebounding in a big way would be an absolutely excellent development this year. Nice job, EM.
agree; can't say it was a good thing to read the comment (see Vogel's write-up) that he was still experiencing "some headaches" early in the summer, but the rest of the comments from Pokulok and how he looked on the ice were all positives on day 1 of camp, IMO

and Tim Leone chimes in with an article about Pokulok...

"He [Pokulok] definitely is thinner," Bears head coach Bruce Boudreau said. "He looks like he wants to play hockey rather than being a first-round pick and things are just supposed to happen. Things didn't happen for him last year."

"I think he now knows where the bar is. He showed me after 60 minutes, at least, that he wants to be a player. There's a lot of positive signs."

Link to article

...(just want to note again that Tim Leone provides great coverage of the Bears/prospects!)

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 09-09-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old
09-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Chris McAllister, Tryout Washington from NY Rangers
Grant Potulny, Tryout Washington from Ottawa
Grant McNeil, Tryout Washington from Florida
Scott Barney, Tryout Washington from Atlanta

http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2007.html

Old
09-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Chris McAllister, Tryout Washington from NY Rangers
Grant Potulny, Tryout Washington from Ottawa
Grant McNeil, Tryout Washington from Florida
Scott Barney, Tryout Washington from Atlanta

http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2007.html
All four are signed by Washington's AHL affiliate (Hershey) for the upcoming season.

Old
09-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Cush
-inator

any reports from today?

Old
09-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
any reports from today?

I was about to ask the same question.

Old
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
sk84fun_dc

Some new Caps snap shots are up on the Capitals website ...Backstrom, Werner, Hanlon

Old
09-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
42 on the rookie roster says lepisto and 56 on the main camp roster says bourque but who knows, heh.
That definitely wasn't Borque with the 56, because Borque is shorter than me, and that guy was at least 6 foot. That might have been lepisto, but I have no clue, not having ever seen him play before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Foy, I wasn't saying they were all on the ice yesterday, I wasn't there; simply summarizing the players known to be back in town and skating at Kettler as reported by the sources I noted; just because a player is in town and skating does not mean they will be on the ice every day since these are voluntary skate sessions organized by the players
I know, I was just clarifying who I saw out there one day. Erskine had something to do I'm sure. Like buying a gallon of conditioner.

Old
09-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Skk82

Quote:
any reports from today?
i was there for the first hour....it was basically just individual skating drills, it looked like they were timing them to measure how quickly the players could do various laps/turns/acceleration.

so it's hard to give much in the way of a recap. backstrom didn't really impress me in terms of his explosiveness or general skating ability, IMO perreault and bouchard were much better in that regard. but, that's from watching about 8 drills on a sunday morning with no pucks, so take it for what it's worth, which is not too much.

pokulok looked like he was at least trying out there.

no goalies were out, and after the hour the players went to the locker-rooms and i left, so i'm not sure if they kind of opened things up after that.

Closed Thread