HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Why Kastsitsyn instead of Carter ?

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 04:40 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Why Kastsitsyn instead of Carter ?

I have a bad feeling about the Habs' last June Draft.

I think the club needed and still need a big, tall, centerman. have you seen Carter played during the tournament. I am really impressed. The organization has already many smaller fast young wingers - Balej, Perezhogin, Milroy... Why another one like Kastsitsyn ? A player we won't see in Montreal for at least two more years.

Old
01-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Maithz

vCash:
we still can make a trade for a big centerman , or try to acquire a big center via free agents .

Old
01-03-2004, 04:55 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
OK, have you not noticed that BIG players don't develop, if they do, before they are like 25. Carter is playing for TEAM CANADA, they have some of the greatest skills in the world, of course he looks great. Kastisyn does good by himself on the Belurus team, not to mention ever hear of draft the best that is available? Neither kid has taken a step in the NHL and you are worried already, wait and see, I know that is hard for a lot of people, but just wait.

Old
01-03-2004, 04:57 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué

I think the club needed and still need a big, tall, centerman. have you seen Carter played during the tournament. I am really impressed. The organization has already many smaller fast young wingers - Balej, Perezhogin, Milroy... Why another one like Kastsitsyn ? A player we won't see in Montreal for at least two more years.
youve seen carter play, but how often have you seen katsiskyn play?
obviously ha waz ranked very high for a reason, redlight had him 1st overall before his health issue came to being, i havnt seen him play but damn through what i heard about him wow he's suppose to be very explosive player, we'll se him next year wjc belarus is in next year.

Old
01-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:

Kastitsyn have the potential to be a top 1st line winger something we have not.

let's wait!

Old
01-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Maithz

vCash:
If Kastsitsyn were in team Canada , he would be a high scorer of the team , its just we can see him play because he play for a poor country .

Old
01-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Kastsitsyn was the best player at the 10th overall .

Old
01-03-2004, 05:38 PM
habs1988

AK was supposed to be drafted between the 4th to 7th places. So I think he's a vey good player.

But with wich player can we associate him ? I heard Gaborik but I'm not sure.

Old
01-03-2004, 05:47 PM
Traitor8

If Kostsitsyn playing for Canada, he would have about 8-10 goals right now.

Kostsitsyn was a top 5 Talent in the draft. Some Sites rated him #1.

Ovechkin sucks because he isn't playing like Carter???

Pleaaaaaaaase!

Old
01-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Habsolument

Quote:

: Milroy 6'1 200, Balej 6'1 190 and Kastsitsyn 18 6'0 190(he'll grow a inch or two and add 10 pounds) are not what I would call small. Kastsitsyn was considered like a very intense and gritty player. Balej plays with emotion and can acept a check, same applies for Milroy but he isn't one of our top prospect. Perezhogin from what I saw today can receive checks too. He'll add muscles too as he's only 20. Do you really think that Carter will play in the NHL soon? We took the BPA and that is the best thing to do. Big players take more time to develop anyway. I'm fed up with all of the treads lately(Is AK a good prospect, AK vs Carter, why didn't we take Carter in the draft, etc, etc) They are 18, how about we give them some time.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:18 PM
habsfansam

way too early to regret a pick... especially when the one we got (Kastsitsyn) is playing far from here, with little media coverage, and plays for a very poor team internationally.

You look at Carter and see a kid who plays well against kids... he didn't make his NHL club this season, something that many said Andrei Kastsitsyn would have been able to do in most lineups in the NHL.

The scouting from CSB got me so excited about Kastsitsyn that i took him in my keeper league. The CSB said that he can pull all his moves at top speed, that he's creative, that he's a gamebreaker, that he has size, speed, creativity, and skill to burn. If this analysis doesn't make you feel happy to have the chance to see him develop in the habs' system, then listen to this: Marian Gaborik is the only other person that the CSB (and redline actually) has labelled as being able to stickhandle, shoot, and pull his moves at top speed. They didn't say this about Zherdev, Heatley, Kovalchuk, or any other prospect i read about in the past 5 years, but they said this about kastsitsyn and gaborik. I wouldn't imagine you'd regret this pick if he turns out to be what gaborik showed us last year??

For the upside at the time of the pick and now, taking kastsitsyn was considered to be a risk... but a risk with TREMENDOUS upside. He could be a bust (medically or developmentally), but if he reaches his potential or maybe surpasses what is expected of him then montreal acquired a 50+goal man after some players who will never reach that level of output.

I recall the TSN guys saying that kastsitsyn was a risk, but that with the depth that montreal has in its prospects the pick was perfect; a homerun swing on a pitch labelled for the sweet-spot. This thread or similar has been run several times... but this early it is absurd to fret over something that no amount of hindsight, fretting, or complaining will ever change. kastsitsyn is one of, if not THE top prospect in montreal's system, and until we know that he can't produce in the NHL i'd say we're damn lucky to have him. Even if he doens't turn out, the 2003 draft has been so good to us already with Halak, Urquhart, Lapierre, Locke, O'Byrne... in 5 years kastsitsyn may not even matter compared to one of these guys.

We have the top drafting front-office in hockey right now... trust them.

GO HABS!

Old
01-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Corey

I have no idea how well Kastsitsyn would play in the NHL, but I notice that he's somewhat bigger than Guy Lafleur. I hope he has Lafleur's talent or at least is comparable.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Cayouche5

Draft the player with the most talent. That's the way Timmins and Savard Draft, look at the Sens ( Havlat Hossa ... ) with the talent you can trade for anything. Again the Sens they have the Top Talent then Trade for Grit and Size ( Varada Ray ... ). BTW it's way to early to say one is better than the other ...

Old
01-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Kirk Muller

At the time my personal choice was Carter, but without being able to see Kats play, it makes the situation much tougher to gauge.

I guess it falls under a few circumstances. Do you draft for need or best player available, or most talented. In Montreal's case they have multiple needs when drafting. A big top two line center is a necessity, but so is simple top end talent. By all accounts Kats has top end talent so its very difficult to say who would be the better pick.

Also, I think Montreal was in the position to go for the boom or bust type pick which he appears to be, although from what I have read, he does have the desire to win and be a great player, which will go a long way in his future. Montreal has tended to draft safe under Savard. Higgins, Plekanec, and Komisarek appear to be at least solid NHLers, plus Perezhogin had just finished a stellar first pro campaign in Russia.

I guess time will tell, and how Savard's draft scheme works.

Old
01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Traitor8

I compare Kostsitsyn to Zherdev who went 4th overall.

They are both projected to be Top 1st line wingers. Both make nifty and shifty plays in the offensive zone and both of explosive speed. Both have a nose for the net and loads of offensive potentiel.

Weaknesses:

Zherdev->Takes too many shifts off,Dfensive coverage
Kostsitsyn->Health, Defensive coverage

But.......Andrei is a Gamebreaker as well..

Old
01-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayouche5
Draft the player with the most talent. That's the way Timmins and Savard Draft, look at the Sens ( Havlat Hossa ... ) with the talent you can trade for anything. Again the Sens they have the Top Talent then Trade for Grit and Size ( Varada Ray ... ). BTW it's way to early to say one is better than the other ...

I agree about Timmins and Savard tendency to draft for skill, but a key component with their drafting is CHARACTER. That is always one of the first things Savard states about the draft picks.

Old
01-03-2004, 07:53 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I compare Kostsitsyn to Zherdev who went 4th overall.

They are both projected to be Top 1st line wingers. Both make nifty and shifty plays in the offensive zone and both of explosive speed. Both have a nose for the net and loads of offensive potentiel.

Weaknesses:

Zherdev->Takes too many shifts off,Dfensive coverage
Kostsitsyn->Health, Defensive coverage

But.......Andrei is a Gamebreaker as well..
I never heard that his defensive game would make him a liability... he backchecks without lots of apparent effort, but he also tends to be one of the first guys back... perhaps laziness is mistaken with superb skating.

Old
01-03-2004, 07:56 PM
goalchenyuk

from the russian scout of the canadians Nikolai Vakourov, Kastsitsyn is something similar to Perezhogin; the two have an exellent offensive potential and are very fast .Kast have more talent but less determination ( perezhogin a plus de chien - in french ).

Old
01-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Traitor8

Kostsitsyn just started working on his defensive game this year...I think, I'm not totally sure about that.
I can't wait to see Kostsitsyn scoring from a beauiful feed from Koivu.

We just need "1 more top prospect" to have his a legit contender in developement. Ovechkin? Olesz? Malkin? Crosby?

I at least hope we can some legit offers like we did for Ilya's pick.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Mike8

I don't understand all the second guessing with this pick. How many of us have even see Kostitsyn play?

That said, it would have been nice to be able to draft Phaneuf. That's the one player I wanted to fall to Montreal's pick. But I'm glad to see he'll be in Calgary if not Montreal. The Flames are building a fun team there.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:36 PM
Traitor8

We have Komisarek,Hainsey,Markov,Souray as our top 4. We didn't really need a defenseman.

At that time, we really needed an offensive force...no more top 6 players but a potentiel legit 1st line centre or winger.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Blackshad

Phaneuf is the best defenceman of Team Canada.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
We have Komisarek,Hainsey,Markov,Souray as our top 4. We didn't really need a defenseman.

At that time, we really needed an offensive force...no more top 6 players but a potentiel legit 1st line centre or winger.
1. You don't draft according to need

2. Defense wins championships, and you can never have too much

3. Montreal would be extremely lucky to have Komisarek, Hainsey, Markov and Souray all develop and maintain what their projected potential is.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8

3. Montreal would be extremely lucky to have Komisarek, Hainsey, Markov and Souray all develop and maintain what their projected potential is.
Add into the fact that at the time, there were ZERO expectations of Souray. No one knew if he would be able to return, let alone play at the level he has this year.

The scary thing is, although I have confidence in him, Markov has truly struggled this year. If he returns to form of last year, all the better, but if he doesn't, man Phaneuf would look good in a habs jersey.

And Hainsey, wow. I am very skeptical of him. He seems to be a boom or bust kinda guy. The very least with Komisarek is you can see he will be a number 4 dman IMO.

Hindsight is 20/20, but for the life of me I can't understand why people think Phaneuf would have been a bad pick because at the very least Hainsey and Souray were suspect, and one of them still very much is.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:32 AM
blah

Quote:

After the draft I remember a lot of people questioning Carter at 11. A lot of people thought he was a reach at that spot. As for the 2 year wait, I'm not expecting Carter to be on the Flyers anytime soon. JR, Comrie, Primeau, Handzus, Sharp, even Somik and Recchi get occasional minutes at C.

Closed Thread