Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help me Wild fans!

Old
08-03-2007, 04:05 PM
hawks35

vCash: 500
Help me Wild fans!

I was just wondering what what the story was on Brent Burns? I havent seen him play a lot but his numbers last year were pretty impressive. Will he be playing a lot of minutes and pp minutes this year and what do you guys think will be his offensive numbers for this season?

Thank you guys, any help would be much appreciated!

hawks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 05:06 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

He's already a top 4 defenseman and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being a top 2 in a few years. Exceptional size and skill. He really broke out in the playoffs after mauling Perry and Kunitz in a couple fights. He uses his size well and he has a great offensive game. He is one of, if not, the most underrated young player in the NHL today.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 09:37 PM
State of Hockey

He's arguably our best defensemen along with Johnsson. He will get high ice time this year. He's great on both ends, but still makes an aggressive mistake from time to time. He's definitely underrated. He should get praise like Bieksa, Suter, and maybe even Weber.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Wild Thing

I don't think he's going to be underrated for very much longer.

This is the Brent Burns I saw three years ago during the lockout season, when the Aeros played an exhibition game at the X. Seeing him play in a game situation for the first time, I was amazed at what a talent Burns was, and I couldn't believe how many other Wild fans didn't see him that way at the time. They're seeing it now, and it's not going to be long before the rest of the league notices it too. Don't let the goofy grin fool you, folks. This kid's the real deal, and you can take that to the bank.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:15 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
I don't think he's going to be underrated for very much longer.

This is the Brent Burns I saw three years ago during the lockout season, when the Aeros played an exhibition game at the X. Seeing him play in a game situation for the first time, I was amazed at what a talent Burns was, and I couldn't believe how many other Wild fans didn't see him that way at the time. They're seeing it now, and it's not going to be long before the rest of the league notices it too. Don't let the goofy grin fool you, folks. This kid's the real deal, and you can take that to the bank.

Wow. My story is exactly the same. Lockout, Aeroes game (against Grand Rapids, IIRC), amazement. It was hard to get an accurate read on the guy during his rookie season (spent mostly on the wing), but that game made me a believer. He became my favorite Wild prospect after that game, and now he is one of my top 2 or 3 favorite players, period.

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:26 AM
hawks35

Wow, that good huh.

What do you guys predict his offensive production will be? My guess was at most about a 15-30 for 45pts type player, am I going to low for him?

hawks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 02:21 AM
vitogor

He is still developing his offensive game, so if he gets 35 pts this season, I'll be ecstatic. If he keeps playing like he did in the second half last season, he should easily get there.

Edit: You can also check out this recent thread on Burns:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=393018

Last edited by vitogor: 08-04-2007 at 02:27 AM.
vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
He's big, his skating is great, he's developing a real physical game, he has some offensive potential, and he plays with enthusiasm and energy.

There's nothing but upside in this kid.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:20 PM
evilgenius

Send a message via AIM to evilgenius
I have been hard on him in the past, but he's definitely improving. I think finally getting to play one position has really helped him out.

Carney seems to have helped to mentor him along this past season.

Like #16 said, I'll be very pleased if he gets 35 points.

On a personal note, I always thought he was a doofus, but I met him at the Wild Summer Bash and he was very nice and polite.

evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:57 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks35 View Post
What do you guys predict his offensive production will be? My guess was at most about a 15-30 for 45pts type player, am I going to low for him?
My guess is 10-15 goals and 35-40 points. Those numbers would be higher on a non-Lemaire coached team. Defensemen don't play as big a role in the offense.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 12:11 PM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgenius View Post
I have been hard on him in the past, but he's definitely improving. I think finally getting to play one position has really helped him out.

Carney seems to have helped to mentor him along this past season.

Like #16 said, I'll be very pleased if he gets 35 points.

On a personal note, I always thought he was a doofus, but I met him at the Wild Summer Bash and he was very nice and polite.
He definitely plays up the doofus image. Mainly because he's having a blast. As he gets older his fun-loving positive attitude are going to be great in the locker room.

As for points ... Lemaire has been moaning for the last two seasons about point production from the D. His complaint is mainly that their timing sux. That when they should be offensively active, they hang back and that they pinch at the worst times. I think that Lemaire, Tremblay and Ramsey will be working with them on adding more to the attack.

So ... his point production depends upon how much freedom he's given. He's got all the tools, that's for sure.

The Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Lemaire *****es and moans about our defensemen all the time. He really isn't a great defense coach. He is a great defensive coach but can't coach his defense squat.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote