OT-Minnesota Twins

Old
08-03-2007, 09:27 PM
evilgenius

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to evilgenius
OT-Minnesota Twins

Any Twins fans in the house?

I definitely am. It gives me something to do/follow/argue about in the hockey off season.

I don't know if this thread has already been around, I checked back a little ways and didn't see one.

evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Wild Thing

Let's see... that's baseball, right? Am I close?

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
I've followed the Twins since the days of Killebrew and Oliva, so I guess that makes me a fan, although they were always second fiddle to the North Stars and now the Wild.

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Wild Thing

I used to be a huge fan, until they went on strike in 1994. I swore I'd never watch another Twins game again, and I haven't. When they struck the last time, I totally lost all respect for the players, and once that happened, the games themselves no longer interested me because i found it impossible to care which team of overpaid, whining punks won. I don't miss major league baseball in the least; they can all go screw themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Old
08-04-2007, 01:00 PM
State of Hockey

Baseball was my first sport, and the Twins were my first sports team. That hasn't changed.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 03:40 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

You think Wirtz is a bad owner, meet Pohlad...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
You think Wirtz is a bad owner, meet Pohlad...
How many Cups has Wirtz won?

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 04:50 PM
evilgenius

Pohlad goes to the church my family used to attend. He funded airconditioning for the building or something like that. Too bad he wouldn't spend some of that money on the team.

I wish Ryan had gotten us a bat in return for Castillo. Cirillo was getting hits for us.

Old
08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
topshelf20

NHLPA had a holdout..so you still vie for hockey, but not for baseball?

topshelf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Starsfan24
Let's Go Cubbies

I hate the Twins

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf20 View Post
NHLPA had a holdout..so you still vie for hockey, but not for baseball?
Good point. Frankly, the NHL players lost a lot of my respect with their demands a few years ago, but not to the degree that the baseball players did. When you have ballplayers who are making 6 and 8 million dollars a year whining about how they're getting screwed, it makes me want to stick my finger down my throat and puke right in their faces.

And second, my disaffection with baseball stems as much from my total disgust at the owners as with the players. In fact, the owners are even worse, in my opinion. ******** are stupid enough to pay people 25 million dollars a year to play baseball, then hold a gun to the heads of the taxpayers to force us to build them half-billion dollar stadiums so they won't move the teams, stadiums they could afford to build themselves if they ran their businesses like everybody else in the country has to run their businesses.

Screw 'em, they all make me sick to my stomach. Players and owners alike, they're all in on it, and they're all a bunch of slimeballs. None of them are ever getting another dime of my money. It's the economics of the game itself that I won't have any further part of.

Hockey, though - that's still different. Yeah, the players went bonkers and made totally irrational financial demands, but at least the owners had the sense to say no and stand their ground, and cooler heads eventually prevailed in the NHL player's union. You can't say that about those punks in major league baseball. But if hockey ever goes the same way baseball went, then that'll be one more sport I don't follow anymore, at least at the professional level.

Old
08-05-2007, 12:00 PM
deerhunt7

Baseball has always been my favorite sport. Unfortunately I only get to see about ten games a year at the dome.

deerhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Pepsi12pac

Detroit and Cleveland seem to be a little shakey yet again down the stretch. Think we can make another run?

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Pepsi12pac

another win today, and a loss by Detriot again, puts us 4.5 games back and 4 back in the wildcard. If we can win again tomorrow night, we will be sitting very nicely.

Pepsi12pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Wild Bill

I love the Twins. I am also sick to death of hearing people who "swore off baseball" because of the strike. Sorry Wild Thing but a little bit of a double standard going on here. Hockey lost many fans with it's lost season and saying there is some sort of difference between the two doesn't fly with me. Business is business. Just like Latrell Spreewell not being able to "feed his family". It's all posturing for a few extra bucks. If I remember correctly, the North Stars were shipped out of town because the legislature wouldn't jump to build them a new arena. They left. So what do we do? Build a shiny new arena in St. Paul. Yet we still ***** about building one for the Twins, Vikings, Gophers, etc. I don't get it. How is this different? The only difference I see between baseball and hockey is that the owners won their staring contest and not the players.

They all get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play sports...some just a little more than others.

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2007, 06:54 PM
evilgenius

I really hope they can make a run. I will be at school then, but it's still exciting anyway. This year I will be living in a dorm where I can cop more TV time, so I might actually get to catch the games!

I love playing KC. It makes me feel good about my team. I have the feeling that they won't be bad for very much longer, though...