HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders need scoring center & Defenseman

Old
08-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNguh View Post
Icehot says:
"they are no threat to us"--being flyers fans, i believe that is what he meant.
so he is an islanders fan? i have never seen him on the isles board.

it is easy to look on paper and make opinions off of it, but watching as much hockey as i have seen in my life, there are al lot of intangables that don't happen on a stat sheet. it is really really sad how these "trade proposals" are always lop sided for your team, no matter what team you root for. My boss is a lifetime Flyers fan, and he would come here and tell you what kind of terrible trade it is and remind you that if you dont like a thread dont write on it, don't even read it. Best of luck to all of the good Flyers fans out there here, and i appologize. Ciao.
i don't even know what happened here... given that he didn't respond to you... and the guy he responded to QUOTED someone else in the thread that was an Isles fan.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:02 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
9teen7ty5 was responding to Alexei_Yashin's stupid post which was a response to Novo's even stupider post. Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera...”Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera...”Memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
You're a crook. You're a cheat and a swindler! That's what you are! How could you do a thing like this, build up a little boy's hopes and then smash all his dreams to pieces? You're an inhuman monster!

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
9teen7ty5 was responding to Alexei_Yashin's stupid post which was a response to Novo's even stupider post. Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera...”Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera...”Memo bis punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Willy Wonka!

There is no reason to call anybodies post "stupid", people have the right to post here, if they are just outright insulting then thats another story. People dont have to read threads even on your own board, you have the right not to read and if you do read it, not to respond. I didnt come on this thread to be a trouble, i saw this thread on the main boards and saw that it mentioned a trade PHI to the Isles and i just wanted to get my 2 cents in. i think its pretty clear that ICEHOT started this thread, a Flyers fan. Sorry that Islanders fans got pulled inbto this thread, i for one will stay away, ciao

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNguh View Post
Willy Wonka!

There is no reason to call anybodies post "stupid", people have the right to post here, if they are just outright insulting then thats another story. People dont have to read threads even on your own board, you have the right not to read and if you do read it, not to respond. I didnt come on this thread to be a trouble, i saw this thread on the main boards and saw that it mentioned a trade PHI to the Isles and i just wanted to get my 2 cents in. i think its pretty clear that ICEHOT started this thread, a Flyers fan. Sorry that Islanders fans got pulled inbto this thread, i for one will stay away, ciao
the dude was responding to another poster! he quoted him! ICEHOT wasn't who he was responding to... unless the quote was just for show?

ugh.

lata.

Old
08-04-2007, 05:33 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
the dude was responding to another poster! he quoted him! ICEHOT wasn't who he was responding to... unless the quote was just for show?

ugh.

lata.
Somebody apparently doesn't understand the concept of quoting in posts.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Don't the Islanders need everything?

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Unless Gauthier has figured out how to play in space and make better decisions with regard to putting himself out of position with the ill-timed ESPN highlight hits that excite the fanboys but which often endanger his team, he is not the type of Dman NYI needs. Isles need a backliner who is steady, if not spectacular. No need for big numbers or even big hits. They have numerous guys who are suspect in their own end, due to inexperience (Campoli), lack of discipline (Bergeron) or skill (Meyer). They need an answer to that.

Umburger actually might be a nice fit on LI, though I'm still suspect about his long-term impact as a player.

But draft picks are the few valuable assets NYI currently possesses. Trading them now, for this team, makes little sense.

Oh, by the way, August 4th cockiness from a fan of a team that finished in last place in the Conference - based on the "promise" of summer "paper" acquisitions - is always an enjoyable to read. And so "HF"!

Last edited by Trottier: 08-04-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:47 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeIsGoneDotCom View Post
yeah you never know when Chris Simon is going to throw another cheapshot.
no matter how many times i watch that replay it always looks to me like simon was going to slash hollweg across the arms but when hollweg raises his arms the stick naturally catches him in the face...it was still a cheap shot and reckless stick work but i don't think simon intended to hack him in the face...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOdGM...elated&search=

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
They are no threat to us so we should trade them Umberger who fits their needs not ours and Goat for either 2008 or 2009 first pick.
We rid ourselves of salary and gain a 1st round draft pick in a great draft year.
Who knows as bad as they might be the pick might end up being a top 3 pick.
When we play them we can take advantage of Umbergers weak defense.

Er, Umberger had 16 goals last season.
Sillinger had 26 last season, which is his fourth consecutive 20 goal season.

Comrie had 20 as well, which is his fourth 20+ goal season. And, that includes two 30 goal seasons.

Can you explain to me how Umberger would be the "scoring center" the Isles supposedly need, when he scores less than the two centers already on the team?
I'm not saying Umberger isn't a useful player but calling him a "scoring center" is more than a little bit of a leap.

And, what in the world would make you think that Umberger would return a likely lottery pick in a strong draft?

Gauthier is slow, dumb, and just plain ineffective. He is gritty as heck and could still play an important role in today's NHL. But, expecting a 1st rounder for him
is daft.

Snow may have pulled off an idiotic deal for Smyth, but that doesn't mean he'd make dumb deals like this.

Try to be a bit more realistic. There are actually two teams in a deal, and within-division foes are not turning over their high picks for your depth players.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 08-04-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Simon12*

My post wasn't meant to offend anyone. Philly fans can remind me when that time comes... it's either slap to my face or slap to all your faces.

Simon12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:05 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Er, Umberger had 16 goals last season.
Sillinger had 26 last season, which is his fourth consecutive 20 goal season.

Comrie had 20 as well, which is his fourth 20+ goal season. And, that includes two 30 goal seasons.

Can you explain to me how Umberger would be the "scoring center" the Isles supposedly need, when he scores less than the two centers already on the team?
I'm not saying Umberger isn't a useful player but calling him a "scoring center" is more than a little bit of a leap.

And, what in the world would make you think that Umberger would return a likely lottery pick in a strong draft?

Gauthier is slow, dumb, and just plain ineffective. He is gritty as heck and could still play an important role in today's NHL. But, expecting a 1st rounder for him
is daft.

Snow may have pulled off an idiotic deal for Smyth, but that doesn't mean he'd make dumb deals like this.

Try to be a bit more realistic. There are actually two teams in a deal, and within-division foes are not turning over their high picks for your depth players.
Um, the guy is entering his third year in the NHL. He had 20 as a rookie. The guy is a 30 goal scorer if played in the top 6 in the right situation, unfortunately he wasnt used properly last year. I actually like him better at wing, but he is a scorer.

Oh, and all the NYI fans need to just go away

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Its nice that your personally "project" Umberger as a 30 goal scorer (and I'm not saying he can't hit that level) but that doesn't make him a "scoring center." Whether or not he hits that level is an open question. Personally, I don't see it. I think he is headed for a good career, but will PROBABLY not score at that level. But, again, nobody knows for sure and he clearly does not warrant the "scoring center" label at this point in time.

And, if you don't like Islander fans posting in this forum, I suggest you move to another board.

Old
08-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Its nice that your personally "project" Umberger as a 30 goal scorer (and I'm not saying he can't hit that level) but that doesn't make him a "scoring center." Whether or not he hits that level is an open question. Personally, I don't see it. I think he is headed for a good career, but will PROBABLY not score at that level. But, again, nobody knows for sure and he clearly does not warrant the "scoring center" label at this point in time.

And, if you don't like Islander fans posting in this forum, I suggest you move to another board.
30 is probably his ceiling, and he will only get there if he's at wing and getting the necessary minutes. fortunately, the Flyers are in the process of ruining his career... so he'll probably never get to that level. as of today, he's probably playing 4th line center, which is simply awful for his pesonal development.

c'est la vie.

the trade was a dumb idea... but i'm not sure i'd trade Gauthier in division for anything, as the idea of him taking out one of our young kids along the wall is scary. has nothing to do with what he's actually 'worth' either.

there are islander fans... and then there are islander fans who don't understand the principle of responding to a quote.

Old
08-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
30 is probably his ceiling, and he will only get there if he's at wing and getting the necessary minutes. fortunately, the Flyers are in the process of ruining his career... so he'll probably never get to that level. as of today, he's probably playing 4th line center, which is simply awful for his pesonal development.

c'est la vie.

the trade was a dumb idea... but i'm not sure i'd trade Gauthier in division for anything, as the idea of him taking out one of our young kids along the wall is scary. has nothing to do with what he's actually 'worth' either.

there are islander fans... and then there are islander fans who don't understand the principle of responding to a quote.

Umberger certainly has talent and has shown flashes. But, if he was capable of putting it altogether, even on the wing, I think Philly probably would have given him a better opportunity. If the stars align, he might be a 30 goal scorer, but right now he could go either way. Under any circumstances, he doesn't return that kind of pick at this point in time.

And, I respect your last point. Flyer fans who visit the Isles board are usually respectful and informed. But, I wouldn't like it if one of you visited us with pointless insults and trolling, and I don't want to see Islander fans doing that here either.

Old
08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Umberger certainly has talent and has shown flashes. But, if he was capable of putting it altogether, even on the wing, I think Philly probably would have given him a better opportunity. If the stars align, he might be a 30 goal scorer, but right now he could go either way. Under any circumstances, he doesn't return that kind of pick at this point in time.

And, I respect your last point. Flyer fans who visit the Isles board are usually respectful and informed. But, I wouldn't like it if one of you visited us with pointless insults and trolling, and I don't want to see Islander fans doing that here either.
I don't get what they're doing with Umberger... he was the ONLY young kid scoring on this club in the fall, and then they started to shuttle him all over the lineup and it completely screwed him up. At this point he's buried on the depth chart behind players with, admittedly, better upside than he does most likely.... He's clearly not getting minutes over Gagne, Hartnell, Knuble, Upshall, and Lupul, so he's kind of screwed. There is also this opening at 4th line center, so now they're going to stick him there... I'm not joking when I say I think they're ruining his career.

He's definitely one of those players that needs to get traded to somewhere with an opening on the LW that he could play at least top 9 minutes, but I think he's more than capable of playing top 6. He needs to learn to play a bit more physical (never going to be a truly physical forward), and get better at even strength D (he was surprisingly effective on the PK last year)... however, he's got a very good chance to be a top 6 guy that fits nicely on the 2nd line, which is important in the salary cap environment... guys that make sense for their spot.

However, he does nothing for the Isles unless they want a young wing with some decent potential... he's not and shouldn't be considered a "scoring center" at the NHL level.

Old
08-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't get what they're doing with Umberger... he was the ONLY young kid scoring on this club in the fall, and then they started to shuttle him all over the lineup and it completely screwed him up. At this point he's buried on the depth chart behind players with, admittedly, better upside than he does most likely.... He's clearly not getting minutes over Gagne, Hartnell, Knuble, Upshall, and Lupul, so he's kind of screwed. There is also this opening at 4th line center, so now they're going to stick him there... I'm not joking when I say I think they're ruining his career.

He's definitely one of those players that needs to get traded to somewhere with an opening on the LW that he could play at least top 9 minutes, but I think he's more than capable of playing top 6. He needs to learn to play a bit more physical (never going to be a truly physical forward), and get better at even strength D (he was surprisingly effective on the PK last year)... however, he's got a very good chance to be a top 6 guy that fits nicely on the 2nd line, which is important in the salary cap environment... guys that make sense for their spot.

However, he does nothing for the Isles unless they want a young wing with some decent potential... he's not and shouldn't be considered a "scoring center" at the NHL level.

I appreciate your informed take on this player, and will watch him more closely in the fall.

Old
08-04-2007, 06:39 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektovanek View Post
Don't the Islanders need everything?
The Islanders need divine intervention.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Dimitrios*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
have fun with the swiss cheese defense

Dimitrios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post

Not that it has any relevance to this forum but the Isles are probably in slightly better shape than the Oilers. They're stronger in net, just as balanced up front, and both teams are fairly weak on the blueline. Isles will need to make another signing there to be competitive, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and predict a better record than the Oilers, who (I predict) will easily miss the playoffs.

Old
08-04-2007, 07:41 PM
IceHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by richichi View Post
Islanders will be lucky to finish top 12 in the east..... flyers on the other hand...
That's why I would want their pick, we should be stock piling every bad teams first rounder for 2009.

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 07:46 PM
IceHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadge1 View Post
you know i actually like the flyers because they almost hate the rangers as much as we do. but threads like this are asanine. any rational hockey fan ought to know that being the paper champs means absolutely nothing and free agents, outside of niedemeyer have never panned out or brought a team over the top. yes, the flyers ought to be much better this year, but to trash other teams after last season is setting your self up for letdown.
The comment comes from common sense: Islanders lost their first line, they lost many players, and I don't believe in their over paid Goalie. Other teams in the division improved, Islanders went backwards=more losses for them within their division at the least, but common sense says around the league they will be losing games more often then last year.

Old
08-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Spoken like a true advocate of open-minded, civil and engaging discussion.

Want to be left alone? Go climb up into your tree fort Sporty, close the door, and play nice with your buddies.

Or open your own message board and make rules that only your friennnnnnds who share the exact same opinnnnions and team affiliation as you can participate. Because otherwissssse your feeeeelings may be hurt and your insecurity exposed.

"Don't agree with me? Have a different point of view? Go away!"

The closing of the American Mind...right before our very eyes.

For the record, Flyer fans are welcomed to the NYI board anytime. And if any fool on that board unjustifiably tells you to go away, they'll get chastized, rest assured.

Jester - I second Darth about your take on Umburger. Insightful and informed.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-04-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old
08-04-2007, 07:51 PM
IceHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei_Yashin View Post
like last season? wow Philly were awesome last season
UMMM it's because we lost most of our main core of vet players and used rookies most of the year. This year the Islanders would have lost their main core of players/first line and lost many others that will affect how the Islanders perform.
Islanders this year=last years Flyers.
That's why I would want their pick. *LOL*

Old
08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
This year the Islanders would have lost their main core of players/first line and lost many others that will affect how the Islanders perform.
While your prediction of where NYI will end up this year has a basis, and I will not get into arguing predictions, your repeated point about them losing their first line is not exactly correct.

Smyth was with the team 20 games. Would his return (versus, say, Guerin) be a plus? Without question. But one needs to take into consideration how long, in fact, he was with the team.

As for Yashin, that is addition by subtraction. A vast majority of NYI fans will tell you same. That is not a loss, in any conceivable way. Especially when Comrie will be getting his minutes.

Blake, I agree. His goals and energy will be missed.

Heading into camp, IMO, the bigger weakness for NYI, by far, is on defense.

Old
08-04-2007, 08:03 PM
IceHot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Um, the guy is entering his third year in the NHL. He had 20 as a rookie. The guy is a 30 goal scorer if played in the top 6 in the right situation, unfortunately he wasnt used properly last year. I actually like him better at wing, but he is a scorer.

Exactly, Umberger is getting less minutes then those the Islander fan mentioned and has the potential to score if he had the proper playmaker and could play the second line minutes, as he didn't exactly play along side those who'd feed him the puck, nor get roles fitting for him. Hitches system in the beginning meant everyone didn't score as much.
I like Silinger but he is not consistent, he's a late season scorer as well.
Good face off man but not consistent and not gonna make other players play better (little set up skills).

If these player mentioned are so great then why are the Islanders looking for another scoring center? Depth? Umberger adds that depth by being a winger and center when need be.