OT-Celtics talk here

Old
05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Bruinaholic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
The Hawks have nearly 70 more free throws than the Celtics in this series. IMO, this has been the worst officiated basketball series I've ever watched.
thats an amazing stat....
i didnt see every foul but Pierce fouling out w/ over minutes to go was something else, and that technical ***...i understand the rule but that was ridiculous to call that in that spot(ever hear of looking the other way?)

Bruinaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Waltah*

would it be wrong for me to want the ahwks to win, with the justification that the celts get beat in the first round by #8 seed, and the b;s actually were the 8th seed to take it to 7 games. This may shut the cocky radio announcers up too.

Waltah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 04:02 AM
amazing_bulk16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaholic View Post
i didnt see every foul but Pierce fouling out w/ over minutes to go was something else, and that technical ***...i understand the rule but that was ridiculous to call that in that spot(ever hear of looking the other way?)
Hoepfully today, with a home game we will have some homecooking calls. This is another factor that makes winning away in the NBA playoffs so tough.

amazing_bulk16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
cshea

Quote:
The "foul" they called Paul Pierce on that fouled him out of the game was marginal at best. He was away from the ball trying to get position for a rebound. He had no impact on the play, and to call something like that with 5 minutes left in a playoff game, which fouls out a player the caliber of Paul Pierce is really poor officiating. It is the officials directly affecting the outcome of the game. I did some digging today...I went through all the box scores, and for the series the Hawks have shot 204 free throws to the Celtics 133. Thats 71 more free throws the Hawks have taken, more than 10 per game. Now this isn't an excuse for the Celtics poor play (very poor play, and poor coaching on Doc Rivers' behalf), but part of the problem is the free throw disparity is allowing the Hawks to stay in games, particularly down in Atlanta.

Anyway, I'm headed to the Garden for Game 7 this afternoon, hoping the Celtics can get back on track with the home crowd behind them.

Lets go Celtics!

cshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:05 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshea View Post
The "foul" they called Paul Pierce on that fouled him out of the game was marginal at best. He was away from the ball trying to get position for a rebound. He had no impact on the play, and to call something like that with 5 minutes left in a playoff game, which fouls out a player the caliber of Paul Pierce is really poor officiating. It is the officials directly affecting the outcome of the game. I did some digging today...I went through all the box scores, and for the series the Hawks have shot 204 free throws to the Celtics 133. Thats 71 more free throws the Hawks have taken, more than 10 per game. Now this isn't an excuse for the Celtics poor play (very poor play, and poor coaching on Doc Rivers' behalf), but part of the problem is the free throw disparity is allowing the Hawks to stay in games, particularly down in Atlanta.

Anyway, I'm headed to the Garden for Game 7 this afternoon, hoping the Celtics can get back on track with the home crowd behind them.

Lets go Celtics!
Stop the crying ! If they lose today that would be the biggest joke of all time.If and i say if,how will eei spin this,that the hawks are a great team ? lol

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 11:37 AM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Stop the crying ! If they lose today that would be the biggest joke of all time.If and i say if,how will eei spin this,that the hawks are a great team ? lol
I'm rooting for the Celtics to win today, BUT I would be amused if they lost. I'd be sure to get lots of listening pleasure out of Fat Glenn and the Big Show. Hmm, let's see, Bruins lose in 7. Well, they gave it their all, but we didn't expect much out of them. Celtics lose in 7... let the crying and blame games begin.

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 12:26 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

I just want to thank the NBA for having a normal start time. I think there was a game in this series that started at 8:48 pm Eastern, which just seems a little strange to be starting a game that late.

The defense looks like it's clamping down on the Hawks early. They held them to 10 points in the first 10 minutes.

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:09 PM
supernova

What a start by Perkins, still puzzled by this series going 7, but onto the second round which is all that matters

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:10 PM
MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
I just want to thank the NBA for having a normal start time. I think there was a game in this series that started at 8:48 pm Eastern, which just seems a little strange to be starting a game that late.

The defense looks like it's clamping down on the Hawks early. They held them to 10 points in the first 10 minutes.
It's exactly the type of half you had to expect coming in. The Celts own the Hawks in Boston.

MasqueOfTheRedDeath* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 01:58 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

This is rather funny this Hawks-Celtics series. As I type this, the Celtics are up 36 after 3. Considering that the Hawks won 3 squeakers, and the Celtics blew the doors off four times, this has to be the most lopsided series in history that went 7 games, at least taking it from a point differential perspective.

Old
05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
moz
Gute Post

I'm officially on the bandwagon.

05-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Bruinaholic

cant say im surprised this wasnt even a game, but it was a fun series....
gotta give credit to ATL,they played their ***** off and put them selves in a position to pull off the biggest upset in league history
This Hawks team has one of the brightest futures in the league
J.Smith is an amazing talent at just 22yo
J.Childress is 24yo and has the makings of a great 6th man IMO
J.Johnson was a Celtic believe it or not, now at 26yo is an all star year in and year out
A.Hordord is just a rookie but i see some Elton BRand in him
Imagine if the Hawks took either Chris Paul or Deron WIlliams a few years ago at #2 instead of Marvin WIlliams
Cant believe the hawks passed on Paul who played at GT right in their own back yard and they had a glaring need of a natural PG

Old
05-05-2008, 06:38 AM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
This Hawks team has one of the brightest futures in the league
J.Smith is an amazing talent at just 22yo
Josh Smith is a restricted free agent this summer, and the ownership mess in Atlanta is probably gonna screw things up. They couldn't decide if they want to fire Mike Woodson, and even so his contract is up anyway. Smith and Woodson apparently don't get along.

Quote:
A.Hordord is just a rookie but i see some Elton BRand in him
He's going to be a very very good player down the road. Unfortunately, the Elton Brand comparison might hold to the point where he's a great power forward on a team that will put up no more than 40-44 wins.

Quote:
Imagine if the Hawks took either Chris Paul or Deron WIlliams a few years ago at #2 instead of Marvin WIlliams
Cant believe the hawks passed on Paul who played at GT right in their own back yard and they had a glaring need of a natural PG
They screwed up badly. But Chris Paul played at Wake Forest, not GT. Kind of funny how two of the best five players in the world right now went to Wake Forest (with Duncan being the other).

Old
05-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Bruinaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post

They screwed up badly. But Chris Paul played at Wake Forest, not GT. Kind of funny how two of the best five players in the world right now went to Wake Forest (with Duncan being the other).
good catch

Old
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

Quote:
They did need a point guard, they needed everything really at that point. They got a guy that will be a good Small Forward in the league, but they reached a little on him and bought into the hype some. Williams played a reserve role on the National Championship UNC team (that beat Deron's Illinios team BTW) and was behind a team that had Rashad McCants, Jakie Manual, and Jawad Williams. Jawad and Manual were both Seniors going into that year and McCants, Felton, and May were all americans that rounded out the starting 5. I thought then that Williams should have taken another year of school, but coming out I think every scout new he would be talented but a bit of a project. But, that's the risk you take in the NBA draft, certainly not the work top pick *cough*Candyman*cough* we have ever seen.

RupBoysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:18 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Anyone worried about the Cavs??

IMO, the biggest concern in this upcoming series is the same one I had last series. Doc Rivers is a horrible coach. Anyone could have won games with this team, but his inability to figure out the Hawks were using their quickness to beat us was beyond baffling. Johnson lights up Ray Allen, yet he leaves Ray in the game with Tony Allen on the bench? Every player on the hawks (except for Johnson) were beating us one on one via pentration and quickness, and not the outside shot. Yet doc doesn't have them back up on d and force them to shoot from outside and beat us honestly? We should have won the Hawks series in 5 games max, but went 7 due to poor coaching. These are serious issues if you ask me, and if we win, it will be despite rivers being the coach. Fire him now!

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Anyone worried about the Cavs??

IMO, the biggest concern in this upcoming series is the same one I had last series. Doc Rivers is a horrible coach. Anyone could have won games with this team, but his inability to figure out the Hawks were using their quickness to beat us was beyond baffling. Johnson lights up Ray Allen, yet he leaves Ray in the game with Tony Allen on the bench? Every player on the hawks (except for Johnson) were beating us one on one via pentration and quickness, and not the outside shot. Yet doc doesn't have them back up on d and force them to shoot from outside and beat us honestly? We should have won the Hawks series in 5 games max, but went 7 due to poor coaching. These are serious issues if you ask me, and if we win, it will be despite rivers being the coach. Fire him now!
Tony Allen makes too many mistakes. The problem was he should have put Rajon on Johnson and Ray on Bibby. He should have also played Lowe more on the road, he matched up better with the quicker bigs from Atl.

I think the Cavs and the C's match up against each other very well. Big Ben playing on KG. Perk and Z. Pierce and King J always elevate their game against each other. It will be very interesting to see if Delonte and Wally step up their game to beat the team that spurned them in the offseason (although it was the mid season trade that brough them to Cleveland)

The season split at 2-2. It will be a long one I think

Old
05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT815 View Post
Tony Allen makes too many mistakes. The problem was he should have put Rajon on Johnson and Ray on Bibby. He should have also played Lowe more on the road, he matched up better with the quicker bigs from Atl.

I think the Cavs and the C's match up against each other very well. Big Ben playing on KG. Perk and Z. Pierce and King J always elevate their game against each other. It will be very interesting to see if Delonte and Wally step up their game to beat the team that spurned them in the offseason (although it was the mid season trade that brough them to Cleveland)

The season split at 2-2. It will be a long one I think
Interesting point about Rajon, and anything would have been better than watching Ray struggle against JJ.

Powe dominated inside against the Hawks, and it made no sense that we saw very little of him the first two games in ATL. They could have easily forced the ball down low all game long with Perk, KG, and Powe, and never gone to game 7, IMO.

As for the Cavs, the talent level is clearly in Boston's favor, but the x factor is doc. LeBron can carry a team on his own, as we saw last year vs the Pistons. Hopefully they can win both games at home and split on the road. I'm scared when we face a better team with a good coach though.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
RupBoysDad
@Rupboysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Interesting point about Rajon, and anything would have been better than watching Ray struggle against JJ.

Powe dominated inside against the Hawks, and it made no sense that we saw very little of him the first two games in ATL. They could have easily forced the ball down low all game long with Perk, KG, and Powe, and never gone to game 7, IMO.

As for the Cavs, the talent level is clearly in Boston's favor, but the x factor is doc. LeBron can carry a team on his own, as we saw last year vs the Pistons. Hopefully they can win both games at home and split on the road. I'm scared when we face a better team with a good coach though.
The hard part about the Cavs is that if their outside shooting is on (Again with Delonte and Wally) it becomes very hard to double LeBron like the C's were trying to do with Joe Johnson. So you have to play them straight up. Defense is obviously the key to this series. Boston averaged 100 points while only giving up 90 in the regular season. Cleveland scored 96.4 and gave up 96.7.

Old
05-20-2008, 10:13 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Wow, I guess a lot of Bruins fans are not necessarily Celtics fans....Eastern finals and nothing in the thread for two weeks.

It's hard to be emotionally involved with two winter teams....I know if the Bruins were in the East finals, I wouldn't be taking out the trash during the game, but I enjoy watching them. Well, the home games anyway!

Here's hoping they continue to hold serve at home, and that maybe someone could bring in Denzel Washington to wake up Shuttlesworth....

Old
05-20-2008, 10:32 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Love my boy Rondo, couple of big shots down the stretch... kids just gonna get better. Old man just called me on his way to his car from the game and he sounds a tad bit liquored up... funny man. Good way to start the series... now if we can just get 1 road victory we are, in my opinion, assured of going to the Finals.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 12:41 AM
MasqueOfTheRedDeath*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
Love my boy Rondo, couple of big shots down the stretch... kids just gonna get better. Old man just called me on his way to his car from the game and he sounds a tad bit liquored up... funny man. Good way to start the series... now if we can just get 1 road victory we are, in my opinion, assured of going to the Finals.
Rondo is great, but he drives me batty when he passes up obvious open shots. He has proven he can shoot the 3, takkkkkkkkke one if you have it!

MasqueOfTheRedDeath* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

If the D doesn't pick up in the final 2 minutes, this series is headed back to Detroit all tied. The boys are making a run, but they're doing nothing to stop the Pistons' shooters.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Lousy D, poor fouls and some clutch play by Detroit's top guys and Rodney Stuckey off the bench send the Celts to their 1st home loss of the postseason.

MUST WIN at least 1 in Detroit.

Old
05-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Good news is- Ray Allen broke the slump in a big way and was large down the stretch. It wasn't enough because of the putrid D, but if he can do this the rest of the way, then the Celtics can win on the road at The Palace.