HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers in 2008

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Oilers in 2008

Thought I'd throw this out for arguments sake, what kind of lineup do you think the Oilers will have in 2008? Now obviously this will be impossible to get exactly considering there could be players drafted in 4 differant years that could make the team, but it's worth a guess just for fun. For the purposes of keeping it somewhat simple, just use players that have allready been drafted. You can have as many deals involved as you'd like(but every trade you throw in, IMO, makes you further than what it probably will be as you'd most likely be wrong) So I'll throw out my completely random guess(as all guess's here will be) and see what you guys think.

LW-C-RW
Rita-Niinimakii-Hemsky
Isbister-York-Dvorak
Torres-Reasoner-Salmalainen
Mihknov-Mcdonald-Stoll

Brewer-Semenov
Fischer-Rachunek
Lynch-Wowyitka

Noronen
Deslauriers

PB Brodziak, Jacques

So that leaves the forwards staying within the system(Would look pretty good IMO)

This has Fischer and Rachunek filling in the holes for Smith, Staios, Cross and Ferguson. It also has Noronen in in place of Salo and Conklin with JDD making a very good duo. Now in order to get these 4 new players, we have bid farewell to Moreau, Horcoff(please soon before he has Cleary type value), Smyth, Smith, Staios, Cross, Chimera, Pisani, Laraques, Bergeron either by way of trade or letting them walk UFA. Now I will not try and break down how each part of this scenario happened, but this is my guess(for now anyways )

Now lets here some bashing and some other ideas. Look forward to hearing all your thoughts

Old
01-03-2004, 07:43 PM
thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Thought I'd throw this out for arguments sake, what kind of lineup do you think the Oilers will have in 2008? Now obviously this will be impossible to get exactly considering there could be players drafted in 4 differant years that could make the team, but it's worth a guess just for fun. For the purposes of keeping it somewhat simple, just use players that have allready been drafted. You can have as many deals involved as you'd like(but every trade you throw in, IMO, makes you further than what it probably will be as you'd most likely be wrong) So I'll throw out my completely random guess(as all guess's here will be) and see what you guys think.

LW-C-RW
Rita-Niinimakii-Hemsky
Isbister-York-Dvorak
Mihknov-Mcdonald-Stoll

Brewer-Semenov
Fischer-Rachunek
Lynch-Wowyitka

Noronen
Deslauriers

PB Brodziak, Jacques

So that leaves the forwards staying within the system(Would look pretty good IMO)

This has Fischer and Rachunek filling in the holes for Smith, Staios, Cross and Ferguson. It also has Noronen in in place of Salo and Conklin with JDD making a very good duo. Now in order to get these 4 new players, we have bid farewell to Moreau, Horcoff(please soon before he has Cleary type value), Smyth, Smith, Staios, Cross, Chimera, Pisani, Laraques, Bergeron either by way of trade or letting them walk UFA. Now I will not try and break down how each part of this scenario happened, but this is my guess(for now anyways )

Now lets here some bashing and some other ideas. Look forward to hearing all your thoughts

Where is Pouliot, I have a feeling he'd be ahead of Niinimakii on the depth chart....

Old
01-03-2004, 07:48 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Don't forget Comrie, he should be traded back by then

Old
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
Where is Pouliot, I have a feeling he'd be ahead of Niinimakii on the depth chart....
I guess I'm considering him a bust in this scenario, as I do think Niinimakii will be better, and York will definetly be better, and the other two are more suitable for the lines they're on. I'm not saying he will be a bust, I just don't say him cracking the lineup if this is how the team plays out over the next 4 or so years.

Old
01-03-2004, 08:08 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
I guess I'm considering him a bust in this scenario, as I do think Niinimakii will be better, and York will definetly be better, and the other two are more suitable for the lines they're on. I'm not saying he will be a bust, I just don't say him cracking the lineup if this is how the team plays out over the next 4 or so years.
Pouliot should at least be better than McDonald. I'm pretty sure Isbister won't last another four years (unless he really becomes the next Bertuzzi which I'm not too optimistic about).

Old
01-03-2004, 09:08 PM
windowlicker

At this rate, what will the team look like in 2024? (This would be 48 year old Coach Smyth's 5th season behind the bench, along with Assistants Rafael Torres & Todd Marchant)

(ohhh... and Paul & Michael Comrie own the team )

Old
01-04-2004, 04:53 AM
coyote

Quote:

LW-C-RW
Rita-Niinimakii-Hemsky
Isbister-York-Dvorak
Mihknov-Mcdonald-Stoll

Brewer-Semenov
Fischer-Rachunek
Lynch-Wowyitka

Noronen
Deslauriers

PB Brodziak, Jacques

I see we don't make the play-offs again with this line-up. There is no grit or toughness there unless the style of hockey changes we are in trouble with this line up

Old
01-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
I see we don't make the play-offs again with this line-up. There is no grit or toughness there unless the style of hockey changes we are in trouble with this line up
No grit or toughness? I have to strongly disagree... Sure the first line is a skill line, but none of them are flyweights, thats for sure. Isibster, gives a big tough body on the 2nd line. And the third line would be a great energy/shut down line with offense too. THe 4th line is 2 3rds pure grit and hard work. Jacques is essentially the next Laraque for this team IMO, and McDonald is something this team has been missing for a long time. I unfortanetly have not seen him play, but he's been described as a fiesty, physical, border line dirty player, and he has some offesnive upside to go with his game as well.

And on defense, all 6 of those guys are big and play physical, if we're lucky, Semenov could become a d-man similar to Chara.

Geez, one guy complains about Pouliet not there over Mcdonald, and another complains it's still not gritty enough, quite the differance in opinion

Old
01-04-2004, 02:52 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Quote:
No grit or toughness? I have to strongly disagree... Sure the first line is a skill line, but none of them are flyweights, thats for sure. Isibster, gives a big tough body on the 2nd line. And the third line would be a great energy/shut down line with offense too. THe 4th line is 2 3rds pure grit and hard work. Jacques is essentially the next Laraque for this team IMO, and McDonald is something this team has been missing for a long time. I unfortanetly have not seen him play, but he's been described as a fiesty, physical, border line dirty player, and he has some offesnive upside to go with his game as well.

And on defense, all 6 of those guys are big and play physical, if we're lucky, Semenov could become a d-man similar to Chara.

Geez, one guy complains about Pouliet not there over Mcdonald, and another complains it's still not gritty enough, quite the differance in opinion
Mcdonald plays W, RW? but definitely not C as far as i remember...I definitely don't see isbister here in 2008, nor will Brewer in my opinion.

Mikhnov will either be on the 2nd line or not playing at all in the organization.

Old
01-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
Mcdonald plays W, RW? but definitely not C as far as i remember...I definitely don't see isbister here in 2008, nor will Brewer in my opinion.

Mikhnov will either be on the 2nd line or not playing at all in the organization.
Well, with the new CBA, hopefully he will be able to keep some of our better players, and it's not like Brewer will be all that old in 2008 either.

As for McDonald, I thought he played both RW and Center, but prefered center, I could be wrong, but if thats the case, just switch him and Stoll around on the line.

And why do you say Mihknov is either 2nd line or not here? Hemsky has been on 4th line this year. Horcoff is an offensive guy, Cleary spent time on the 4th line. I'm not quite sure what you're reasoning is for that? Do you think that he'll be worthy of 2nd line and wouldn't accept 4th line duties?

And for Isbister, he'd be 30, and seems like a long time Oiler to me. I could definetly see him staying here. The team would be good, and would definetly need some veteran leadership, and Isbister also happens to be a power forward that can be thrown onto just about any line. He'd be like Moreau is now, except with more offensive ability(hopefully anyways)

Anyways, lots of people disagreeing with my 2008 team, but no one else is putting their money where there mouth is and trying it on for themselves. Come on now, can't critisize mine without giving me a chance to do vice versa

Old
01-04-2004, 11:56 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Crosby-Thornton-Heatley
Ovechkin-Poulliet-Hemsky
York-Stoll-Dvorak
Rita-Reasoner-Salmo
PB: Pisani, Ninnimaki

Brewer-Semenov
Woywitka-Lynch
Greene-Staois
PB: Ferguson (lol)

Deslaurias
Nurminen

Im not sure what positions Ovechkin and Crosby play, I think there both wingers, and since theres little substance to this thread, I wont bother checking.

Mowzie- "This line-up makes me sing old Aritha Franklin songs".

Old
01-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Im not sure what positions Ovechkin and Crosby play, I think there both wingers, and since theres little substance to this thread, I wont bother checking.

You don't think there's any substance to this thread? I thought of it as more of a way of who do you think the Oil will keep long term, and which prospects you think will pan out. You always here people saying so and so will be a top liner, and there's more top liners predicted from our team right now than we can have on a top line. In 4 years, which Oilers do you think will still be here? Which projects will most likely be left off the lineup due to inconsistency, inability to play defense, etc?

And no Mowzie, I would not like fries with that.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:39 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Crosby-Thornton-Heatley
Ovechkin-Poulliet-Hemsky
York-Stoll-Dvorak
Rita-Reasoner-Salmo
PB: Pisani, Ninnimaki

Brewer-Semenov
Woywitka-Lynch
Greene-Staois
PB: Ferguson (lol)

Deslaurias
Nurminen

Not that it really matters, but I believe Ovechkin is a winger and Crosby is definetaly a center.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:39 AM
H-Bear

Here is my whaky prediction:

The new CBA fails us big time, but is still better than the last. Therefore, we are able to continue operation, but having the money to compete for a cup remains a dream.

Noteable departures: Smyth (retired, injury), Smith (UFA), Brewer (traded as a RFA, wanted 8.2 billion per season), Salo (not offered a new contract), York (traded for size), Hemsky (traded). Others leave via trade, retirement, etc.

The lineup:
Mikhonov-*-Havlat
Rita-Ninimakii-Dvorak
Torres-Reasoner-**
Chimera-Winchester-***

Semenov-#
Bergeron-##
Lynch-Greene

JDD
~

*Big skilled centre; part for trade with Hemsky & York
**Pisani-like filler
***Drafted tough guy

#Major part of Brewer deal
##Drafted fella.

~Throw in from Brewer deal (Esche-type goalie - ie: great backup with reasonable chance at starting job)

Old
01-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Here is my whaky prediction:

The new CBA fails us big time, but is still better than the last. Therefore, we are able to continue operation, but having the money to compete for a cup remains a dream.

Noteable departures: Smyth (retired, injury), Smith (UFA), Brewer (traded as a RFA, wanted 8.2 billion per season), Salo (not offered a new contract), York (traded for size), Hemsky (traded). Others leave via trade, retirement, etc.

The lineup:
Mikhonov-*-Havlat
Rita-Ninimakii-Dvorak
Torres-Reasoner-**
Chimera-Winchester-***

Semenov-#
Bergeron-##
Lynch-Greene

JDD
~

*Big skilled centre; part for trade with Hemsky & York
**Pisani-like filler
***Drafted tough guy

#Major part of Brewer deal
##Drafted fella.

~Throw in from Brewer deal (Esche-type goalie - ie: great backup with reasonable chance at starting job)
Ouch. Wouldn't trade Hemsky unless you're thinking salary dump.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:48 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Ouch. Wouldn't trade Hemsky unless you're thinking salary dump.
Yeah, I'm thinking he will quickly price himself out of EDM.

Old
01-06-2004, 11:50 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
Yeah, I'm thinking he will quickly price himself out of EDM.
Make sense then. I hope the CBA turns out in the Oilers favour.

Closed Thread