Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas missing playoffs?

Old
08-04-2007, 04:42 PM
EvilHarryDread

vCash: 500
Dallas missing playoffs?

First of all let me introduce myself - my name is Matt and I live up in Canada the reason I started cheering for the stars was that my favorite player Ed Belfour got traded to them some time ago and I have been a fairly passive fan ever since. I dont really get to hear much about them up in Canada due to the media being fairly centered on the Flames where I live, but with the recent playoff series against the Canucks I was able to watch the Stars play 7 games in a period of 2 weeks for probably the first time of my life
I made this thread because I want the opinions of you diehard stars fans. many of my pals say that Dallas will miss the playoffs, which doesnt really bother me that much because their pro-calgary bias means I cant take anything they say at face value, but In reading the boards I have to say I am surprised to find that MANY fans from all over the league think Dallas will finish out of the playoffs, and not only out but in the 10th or 11th spot. Did Dallas do something to get worse in the off-season that I didnt hear about up here, or is this just due to the lack of dallas fans on this board or something? I couldnt help but notice this forum has some of the least posts of any in the western conference well, I'll be hoping to change that as I plan to support the stars much more regularly this season. thanks for reading

EvilHarryDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
Welcome

People said the last 2 years Dallas has a crappy team and will miss the playoffs. Well, we all know the real deal.
I don't expect anything different this season. A save playoff spot + division win or very close to.

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilHarryDread View Post
I have to say I am surprised to find that MANY fans from all over the league think Dallas will finish out of the playoffs, and not only out but in the 10th or 11th spot
People always say that and we always end up making the playoffs.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
With easily one of the top 5 defenses in the league and very good goaltending in Turco and Smith, I see no way the Stars miss the playoffs this year. I see our team finishing 6th-8th in the Western Conference.

OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Starsdude

Welcome -Alot of stars fans post on Andrewsstarspage.com-FYI or on the team board

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 08:58 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttMorrow View Post
With easily one of the top 5 defenses in the league and very good goaltending in Turco and Smith, I see no way the Stars miss the playoffs this year. I see our team finishing 6th-8th in the Western Conference.
thats how i see it. the defense isnt going to implode. Turco isnt going to become a terrible goalie. As long as both those dont happen, dallas makes the playoffs.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
HABSMANIA21*

dallas is a great team and all but when ribs was your leading point scorer like he was last year i dont see them making the playoffs. i am really surprised they did.

HABSMANIA21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
starsman93

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby911 View Post
dallas is a great team and all but when ribs was your leading point scorer like he was last year i dont see them making the playoffs. i am really surprised they did.
lol, and this has been the thinking of people around these boards for the last 2 years. We didn't get any worse this offseason, and you don't need blazing offensive stats to make the playoffs. Defense first.

starsman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:22 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
Crosby911 -- Because making the playoffs hinges upon who your leading scorer is?...dunno about that logic. Plus, when you get 100 pts between Zubov and Boucher on the backend it makes up for not having that pt/game guy. Not a cup-contending team by any means, but they will make the playoffs unless they have massive injury problems or decide to rebuild mid-season(which i don't see happening).

OttMorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 10:30 PM
EvilHarryDread

thanks for responding guys and thanks for your greetings I took a look at the NHL stats page and Brenden Morrow only played 40 GAMES last year. I think if he had played the full season he would have had at least 70 to 80 points and people wouldnt be talking about how much dallas struggles offensivly.
also I will try to sign up for those other sites that were mentioned earlier if there are more Dallas fans there.

Old
08-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Chad_

It's been a long time since Dallas was considered a pre-season contender to do anything, and yet, for almost every year of the last decade the Stars have made the playoffs.

Will this year be any different? I don't know. I don't think so, but who knows at this point. I think a good many people are over-evaluating the roster additions of the Blues and Kings, to name just two, and are of the belief that subtracting Nagy and Sydor leaves the Stars with less talent. Common wisdom concludes Modano is one month away from death, and yet he still comes out and manages to change the game regardless of whether or not statistics prove that point. Zubov is an aged wonder, and yet he's never received the respect he should deserve while playing in Dallas. Dallas has been the Rodney Dangerfield of the NHL for a few years, but that has never bothered me.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Ducksforcup

vCash: 50
They'll probably make the playoffs like they always do. Everyone always writes them off, but they still make it.

Ducksforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:25 AM
AustinHockeyFan

Quote:
Last season, the Stars had the fifth most man-games lost due to injury in the NHL. A large portion games were due to long-term injuries to Mike Modano and Brenden Morrow.

In spite of this, the Stars finished 3 points behind Anaheim. While missing key players, and having as many as 4 starting forwards at a time out long-term.

The Stars have flown below radar for years. But this is borderline comical.

AustinHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:28 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful insight.

And thanks for not watching a single Dallas Stars game outside of maybe the game against Pittsburgh.

Old
08-05-2007, 05:39 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBlueshirt View Post
Last season, the Stars had the fifth most man-games lost due to injury in the NHL. A large portion games were due to long-term injuries to Mike Modano and Brenden Morrow.

In spite of this, the Stars finished 3 points behind Anaheim. While missing key players, and having as many as 4 starting forwards at a time out long-term.
This was the first thing that struck me too.
(Not that I complained, since it gave Joel chances to show his stuff.)

But all those lost matches by key players puts a strain on the system, and on the players. Both the ones that are out and the ones that are in due to the others being out.

So unless there's an even worse injury run I can't see how they can miss playoff.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 05:47 AM
Svensken

We wont miss the playoffs... we will get to the playoffs but get beat in the first round.

Svensken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:25 AM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensken View Post
We wont miss the playoffs... we will get to the playoffs but get beat in the first round.
but i hate when that happens.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:40 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The Stars are getting old, but will probably still make the playoffs this season.

In the Pacific Division, the Sharks are clearly a better team, the Ducks should be able to hold the Stars off even with the loss of some key players, and the Kings are gaining on them. Eventually, whether it is this season or next, the Kings will be taking a playoff spot away from one of those three teams. The mostly likely candidate is the Stars.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The Stars are getting old, but will probably still make the playoffs this season.
You realize they've been saying the Stars were too old since the late 90s right?

Old
08-05-2007, 11:57 AM
starsman93

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

In the Pacific Division, the Sharks are clearly a better team, the Ducks should be able to hold the Stars off even with the loss of some key players, and the Kings are gaining on them. Eventually, whether it is this season or next, the Kings will be taking a playoff spot away from one of those three teams. The mostly likely candidate is the Stars.
And the Ducks only finished 3 points ahead of Dallas last year, lost two out of their three best players AND Penner and are still going to finish better than Dallas? Unlikely to me. Also, we had SJ's number last year and they finished only 2 points (I think) ahead of us.

starsman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsman93 View Post
And the Ducks only finished 3 points ahead of Dallas last year, lost two out of their three best players AND Penner and are still going to finish better than Dallas? Unlikely to me. Also, we had SJ's number last year and they finished only 2 points (I think) ahead of us.
Not to mention we swept all 8 games from the Kings last year.

Old
08-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Alistar

actually, we were tied with San Jose in points last year, they just had an extra win
both teams had 107

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 02:38 PM
User Name
Registered User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsman93 View Post
Also, we had SJ's number last year and they finished only 2 points (I think) ahead of us.
Both teams finished with 107 points, third highest points total in the NHL. Dallas was 5 and 3 against the Sharks last year.

The Stars and Sharks are virtually the same teams that they were last year.

The Kings finished with 68 points and retooled, but I doubt it'll make a 40 difference.

User Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Alistar

actually, tied for 5th...
1. Detroit / Buffalo - 113
3. Anaheim / Nashville - 110
5. New Jersey / San Jose / Dallas - 107

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 12:46 AM
EvilHarryDread

thanks for all your replies!
I get the feeling that as long as we have Marty Turco in net and a good defense, we'll be able to make the playoffs every year =) maybe not always a lock but atleast in contention.