HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andy Sutton?

Old
08-04-2007, 05:04 PM
hawks35

vCash: 500
Andy Sutton?

Hey guys maybe you can help me out here. Sutton still isnt signed and I dont know why we would look at jovo over this guy. Sutton is a top four stay at home defensman which is exactly what we need. With our signings this summer I dont think we NEED an offensive D-man like we may have in the past.

Maybe you guys can clear it up for me why we wouldnt go after this guy, especially over Jovo. Maybe im not seeing something here..any input would be great, thanks.

hawks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Is Sutton really that much of an improvement over Malik?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Sutton is a top 4 defenseman?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:30 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks35 View Post
Hey guys maybe you can help me out here. Sutton still isnt signed and I dont know why we would look at jovo over this guy. Sutton is a top four stay at home defensman which is exactly what we need. With our signings this summer I dont think we NEED an offensive D-man like we may have in the past.

Maybe you guys can clear it up for me why we wouldnt go after this guy, especially over Jovo. Maybe im not seeing something here..any input would be great, thanks.
For starters, I doubt we are going after Jovo, its just another Eklund "rumor".

Secondly, I dont want Sutton, even if he lowers his pricey demands (last I heard he wanted 4mil per year) because he wouldnt really be an improvement over what we already have

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

There's zero possible way we sign a ufa defenseman at this point. it'd have to come via trade. and we're not going to clear space just to bring in a Sutton.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:02 PM
hawks35

Well I was going off the theory IF we were interested in Jovo why not go after sutton OVER jovo. Even in a trade for jovo hes making 7 mil this year, I would rather sign a sutton for 3.5-4 mil than trade for a jovo making 7. I dont know what you guys think but I think sutton is a far better fit for us than a jovo would be.

Even if Jovo is just an Eklund rumor, a move has to be coming somewhere. We have what, 7 or 8, nhl defensman on our team. A move is definitely coming from somewhere.

Rosi-malik-toots-mara-girardi-staal-hutch....with pock and struddy on the roster too...Something would have to be done, no?

Old
08-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Why the hell would you want to waste "3.5-4 mil" on Sutton...?

Old
08-04-2007, 06:24 PM
hawks35

Because 3.5-4 on sutton is better than 7 on jovo. Jovo has been the name that has continually been popping up for awhile now. So I was saying IF jovo, why not sutton. I dont want to see either on the team, but, there hasnt been any other names rumored to be moving.

Personally, Id rather make no moves than either of those two. BUT, if we were to land jovo, I would have rathered sign sutton as a ufa than trade for a jovo. Neither would be best, but sutton is the better option of the two.

Old
08-04-2007, 06:25 PM
rodmunch

Quote:
Well I was going off the theory IF we were interested in Jovo why not go after sutton OVER jovo. Even in a trade for jovo hes making 7 mil this year, I would rather sign a sutton for 3.5-4 mil than trade for a jovo making 7. I dont know what you guys think but I think sutton is a far better fit for us than a jovo would be.

Even if Jovo is just an Eklund rumor, a move has to be coming somewhere. We have what, 7 or 8, nhl defensman on our team. A move is definitely coming from somewhere.

Rosi-malik-toots-mara-girardi-staal-hutch....with pock and struddy on the roster too...Something would have to be done, no?
How is signing Sutton for 3.5-4 million going to help us? That would just waste cap space for no reason.

I do agree that a move might be coming, but it will likely be one of Hutchinson or Pock getting traded for a pick. And even if a trade doesnt happen, one of the two along with Strudwick will be waived and sent to Hartford

rodmunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I'm sorry, but Sutton at anything more than 1.5M or so a year is a waste of 2.5M dollars.

Enough with this Andy Sutton talk.

Old
08-04-2007, 07:16 PM
nyr7andcounting

Wow, what a terrible move he would be.

He's about as bad as Malik, but I'd even prefer Malik because at least he's familiar with Roszival. And considering we already have 8 guys looking for NHL time, it'd be a complete waste to add another guy when he's not any better than who we already have.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2007, 11:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

Sather is not interested in defensive defensemen, he likes defensemen who will not only make a solid first pass, but will carry the puck and ultimately join the rush. Hence the continuing talk about getting Jovo.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 05:09 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Why would we want another immobile defenseman? Never mind the fact that Baranka, Staal and for that matter Liffiton are ready for prime time or very near, with Sauer on the horizon and Sanguinetti and Busto to follow. Investing in Dmen is illogical.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:59 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Quote:

He isnt a top 4 d man and on top of this he was reported to be asking for 4m/yr!!!!!! if he's seriously asking for that, that will explainwhy he is still unsigned!!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:17 AM
eco's bones

Sutton looked horrible for Atlanta in the playoffs. Spending big money on him would be a huge mistake.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 08:16 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Why would we want another immobile defenseman? Never mind the fact that Baranka, Staal and for that matter Liffiton are ready for prime time or very near, with Sauer on the horizon and Sanguinetti and Busto to follow. Investing in Dmen is illogical.
Good to know that all 6 of our minor league d-men are a lock for the NHL. Of course so was Flip Novak, Patrick Aufiero, Wes Jarvis, Burke Henry, and I still love Mike Mottau's chances. I mean, he won the Hobey Baker as a d-man, he's a lock top 4 d-man in the NHL. Also, there has been a sighting of Jeff Brown in the UHL. He is ripping it up in Kalamazoo and may get a call up the the ECHL. Can you imagine a PP with him and Hugh Jessiman???!!!

Stall is the only guy I think you can have faith in. The rest are 50/50 at best. Andy Sutton may not be the solution, but I think you all forget how bad Malik is. Even the statue, formerly known as Kevin Hatcher, thinks Malik needs to go.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 08:21 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Good to know that all 6 of our minor league d-men are a lock for the NHL. Of course so was Flip Novak, Patrick Aufiero, Wes Jarvis, Burke Henry, and I still love Mike Mottau's chances. I mean, he won the Hobey Baker as a d-man, he's a lock top 4 d-man in the NHL. Also, there has been a sighting of Jeff Brown in the UHL. He is ripping it up in Kalamazoo and may get a call up the the ECHL. Can you imagine a PP with him and Hugh Jessiman???!!!

Stall is the only guy I think you can have faith in. The rest are 50/50 at best. Andy Sutton may not be the solution, but I think you all forget how bad Malik is. Even the statue, formerly known as Kevin Hatcher, thinks Malik needs to go.
50/50 at best?....

Sanguinetti and Sauer have more than good chances to make it. Especially Sanguinetti. These guys are high picks and have proven these picks (so far) to be wise choices. Guys in the past were rushed and its different culture than in the past at the club now. You cant comapre those players at all.

If you think Sutton is the answer you are a deluded young man!!! this guy is not the answer. for the money he is allegedly asking, id rather even dress Strudwick regularly.

Building from within is the way to go and having patience with prospects and not always going for the over paid, under talented option (this time Sutton)

Old
08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Andy Sutton may not be the solution, but I think you all forget how bad Malik is. Even the statue, formerly known as Kevin Hatcher, thinks Malik needs to go.
If Malik was half as bad as the people on this board make him out to be he wouldn't be in the leaue. Rather have Malik for one year at 2.5 then get Sutton.

08-07-2007, 08:26 AM
SPG

Quote:

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:21 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRJurgen88 View Post
50/50 at best?....

Sanguinetti and Sauer have more than good chances to make it. Especially Sanguinetti. These guys are high picks and have proven these picks (so far) to be wise choices. Guys in the past were rushed and its different culture than in the past at the club now. You cant comapre those players at all.

If you think Sutton is the answer you are a deluded young man!!! this guy is not the answer. for the money he is allegedly asking, id rather even dress Strudwick regularly.

Building from within is the way to go and having patience with prospects and not always going for the over paid, under talented option (this time Sutton)
Sanguinetti was 21st overall I think. Jeff Brown was 22... all the guys I listed were high picks and at the time looked great. Mottau didn't look like a wise choice???

Old
08-07-2007, 09:29 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Sanguinetti was 21st overall I think. Jeff Brown was 22... all the guys I listed were high picks and at the time looked great. Mottau didn't look like a wise choice???
To a certain extent i agree about numbers ont being relevant. Is Cherepanov only 17th best of the last draft for example?

However, Sanguinetti has continued to impress since being drafted and played well at pro level briefly for Hartford last year. he has shown no reason not to expect good things from him. Mottau was a college player and college to the pros was a different beast/path then as it is now.

Jeff Brown: unfortunately i think thats the Jeff Brown that came and played in Cardiff/Wales for the Devils. He wasnt much of a success here either considering he was a 1st rounder!!!

Old
08-07-2007, 09:39 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I'm not saying Sanguinetti won't make it. I'm saying that we will be lucky if 3 out the the 6 named play more then 30 NHL games and you can never really tell who's going to make it.

Old
08-07-2007, 09:46 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
yes Sutton is a defensive Dman but i dont think we need that as much as it seems. Strudwick and Girardi dont seem to jump up in the offense that much so i dont think we need Sutton. Besides, if i HAD to pick out of the two, i would take Jovo b/c he is as defensive as Sutton with some offensive prowess. but i wouldnt want either

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:50 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I've been keeping an eye on Sutton and i'm surprised no one has signed him. I think he's either asking for a lot or theres a reason why no one has signed him yet.

I think at this point the price is gonna go down for a guy like Sutton. He wouldnt be a bad addition to the Rangers D but he wouldnt be able to fit in under the cap unless there was a trade and that means another defensman with a meaty salary would have to come off (Malik, Mara) - if thats the case theres no reason to trade and then sign him because you are at most breaking even IMO.

I could see the Devils signing him. Hes their type of defender, not flashy, stay at home. He would help them. Hopefully he and everyone else still in the free agent pool (besides the old ones Roenick, Allison, etc.) sign elsewhere out of the Atlantic. We don't need any of the other division rivals to get better at this point.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
yes Sutton is a defensive Dman but i dont think we need that as much as it seems. Strudwick and Girardi dont seem to jump up in the offense that much so i dont think we need Sutton. Besides, if i HAD to pick out of the two, i would take Jovo b/c he is as defensive as Sutton with some offensive prowess. but i wouldnt want either
We are we even talking about Strudwick? He's not going to be in the lineup.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote