HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who REALLY Experienced "The Cup" 13 Years Ago?

View Poll Results: Who Experienced the Cup back in '94 and can Remember that season/playoffs?
I Can! I was a big Fan back in '94 for that special year! 143 70.10%
I Cannot as I was not a true fan yet in '94 61 29.90%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-05-2007, 08:35 AM
yarre

vCash: 500
9 years old in Sweden without possibility to watch NHL but I loved NHL anyways and I remember a friend that was really nuts for the Rangers and he was very happy that they won and I remember really liking Ritcher and I even got a t-shirt with Ritcher on it, though it is ugly as hell nowdays but I still got it...

Edit: Pulled out the t-shirt, it wasn't Ritcher, because this one has a 1 on it and a different helmet, haha, ohh well.

A pic of it, I seemed to have forgot to not use "mirror-effect" so it looks a bit odd.

Last edited by yarre: 08-05-2007 at 08:44 AM.
yarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Shadowtron

I was 17 that year. My friend and I deliberately stayed away from each other during the finals and watched the game separately because it seemed as though every time we watched it together, the Rangers lost. There was one game, where the Rangers were down by goals. So I left his house, figuring it was over. By the time I got to my house across the street, set up the tv, the damn thing was tied. I watched it for a few more minutes and sure enough the Canucks ran up another 2-3 goals.
So, for the final game, I was working and then went directly to my house afterward to catch the 3rd. I remember not knowing what to do when the final buzzer sounded. I did what I felt I should be doing, which was running around the house, screaming. Then I went to my friends house. He was sitting there, in stunned amazement, having spent every ounce of energy the moment before the last icing, thinking it was over then. It was a packed house, so there was much hugging and back patting and drinking. My friend was a hockey fan for a long time. The one thing that sticks out in my mind the most (well, aside from the Cup) was the one sign "Now I can die in peace" because unbeknowst to me, it would be my friend's last season. He passed away about 2 games into lock-out shortened season the following January in '95. It was almost as if '94 was fate. Glad he got to see it because the Rangers were his life.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 08:49 AM
JerseyRangers

I became a Rangers fan during the 76-77 season so by the time 1994 ran around I was dying for the cup.

Going back a little bit for me, anyway, the whole Messier Era (version 1) was kinda special. We had a shot at winning every nite, every season. Going back to his first game against the Canadians to the cup it was all pretty amazing. But the whole 93-94 season was a thing of magic.

For me the funny thing about those playoffs was that the way we started I didn't think anyone stood a chance. The first two series against the Fishies and Capitals we looked unstoppable. I hadn't seen a team dominate in the playoffs like that in a long time. Then came the Devils. We had swept the Devils in the season series and I didn't really think this one would go more than 5 games. We all know what happened. After game 5 it felt like the world had ended. There was rumours in the press that Keenan had lost the team. Then Mess comes out with his guarantee. It made the back page of both the Post and the Daily News. The hours leading up to game 6 where the most agonizing, slowest moving. Finally we got to game 6. Devils go up 2-0. It started to look like the magic season was going to end in major disappointment. Then Mess does what Mess had done best his whole career. He puts the team on his back and we all know the rest.

Game 7 is the Matteau game. I had actually turned off the game for a bit after the tying goal. Missed part of the first OT. Turned back on to see the rest of the 1st OT. Really don't remember much until the Matteau goal. Could have been nerves or the fact that I had started drinking about an hour before the start of the game. Anyway, that Matteu goal was a thing of beauty. We where going to the finals. The last time we had been in the finals (against the Canadians) i was much younger and not such a diehard fan. This time it was really special.

All these years later I gotta admit that I don't remember too much about the Canucks series. The things that stand out are the Bure penalty shot, the wild game 5 and then the final 2 seconds with Mactavish out there taking the most important faceoff in Rangers history. The Rangers Win! The Rangers Win!

Yep, it was the most incredible spring that I have ever experienced as a hockey fan and although some of the memories have faded it has lasted a lifetime. Sorry for all of you diehards here on the board who didn't experience it. Hopefully this season will turn out to be that special.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Onion Boy

I was only 8 years old when they won the cup so I wasn't really aware of it. For some reason I was very aware of the Devils winning in 95, however.

I followed the Rangers somewhat until 2001, going to a few games here and there. I didn't become a hardcore fan until the 2001-2002 season when my family finally got cable. Been a diehard ever since and I'm damn proud of it. How many fans can say they jumped on board smack dab in the middle of the "dark ages."

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Smashley

As many of you I was only Nine when they won it. And as much as all of you around here pull the old "Oh I was a fan since the carter administration!!!" crap, I'll be the first to admit I didn't give the rangers (or hockey) the time of day until last fall. So I have the privilege of not knowing what the drought was like. The bf tells me it was a hell of a season to decide to become a fan...

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Told this story before. Within 72 hours I saw the Rangers win the Cup, I graduated from high school and went to the parade. Not a bad three days.

As a side story, the day of game 7 of the Finals, some friends and I blew off afternoon classes and went to play golf in Westchester. Driving back into Manhattan we were waiting for the toll on the Henry Hudson Bridge. I looked over at the lane next to our car. It was Mike Lupica. I made the sign for him to roll down his window. He did and I asked "Hey Mike, do the Rangers win tonight?" He just smiled and said, "Count on it." Pretty cool day.

I was also at Game 6 of the Devils series. Unbelievable.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 08-05-2007 at 10:12 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:11 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The spring of 1994 was so special. It was a great time to be a NY sports fan for sure. I'm a musician by trade and in 1994 I was in a band that played 4-5 nights week. I had just released my first official CD. We played all around the the tristate and the North EAST. Lots of clubs, bars and roadhouses and let me tell you this town was ON FIRE with Ranger and Knick fever. Every bar ran the games and we never went on untill the game was done. It was crazy exciting.

As great as winning the cup was, it was really the ECF against the Devils that shook this city imo. Messiers prediction of game 6, the hit he layed on Stevens, the hat trick. It was as Epic as Epic gets. The Matteau goal still makes me tear with joy. That was the greatest single game I ever experienced.

After that the cup was the greatest. There was TONS of choke potential. The Rivals chants of 1940 were never more passionate. The 1st round DEVASTATION of the chanting Isles was glorious after having to ride out the incredible dynasty on the Island.

There was a GREAT music scene in NYC at the time too. Blues Traveller, Spin Doctors led the charge for lots of good NY bands making lots of good music. Green Day was a punk band. Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden, Pearl Jam were still new bands that had become the MAINSTREAM.

It was a crazy time. I remember the The OJ Simpson chase thing happened during the finals too. Everyone knows where they were when the OJ chase went down on LIVE TV.

1994 everytything went right for the Rangers but not without some BOLD thinking. They made some real "questionable" trades at the time that look like genius now. They were good trades but they sent Fan faves like Mike Gartner, James Patrick, Amonte, Turcotte etc far far away.

In the end they won the cup. Ididnt go to game 7. But my Dad did. He was a kid in 1940 when they won. He went to 500? games before they won again. I was so happy for him I cried joy.

08-05-2007, 10:26 AM
bubba5

I was 24 at the time and a rangers fan from the late 70's. That was the greatest time being a Rangers fan. The parade was awesome too. I remeber taking the train in that morning to goto the parade and it was packed with Rangers fans, we had the lets go Rangers chants going, we won the cup chants, Potvin Sucks chants, fans were drinking, it was an actual party train!!!!!!!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:01 AM
bleedrngrblue

Been a fan since 1969. I've seen some pretty bad lows along with the sprinkling of highs

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:22 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I was 22 years old, had been a Ranger fan since we went to the cup in '79. I watched game 7 at the Tugboat Saloon in Steamboat springs CO., was living there at the time having gone to school at CSU. I flew back out there from CT. between games 6 & 7. Everyone in the place thought I was nuts, 2 years later the Nordiques became the Avalanche and they understood.

Undoubtedly the greatest sports moment of my life.
The sign in the stands that read, "now I can die in peace" said it all!

N9Y4R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Jovofan

Not sure if you want one, but I come to offer a view from the other side.

I was 14 years old in '94 and was (and still am) a huge Canuck fan. I wasn't expecting much as we entered the playoffs as the 7th seed in the West. But, an unexpected and amazing run that year happened. After the way we fought our way through the Western Conference I was confident that the Canucks could win the Cup, however I was nervous that we were matched up against the Rangers. After winning Game 1 and seeing Kirk McLean's performance I was overjoyed, but then the Rangers just took over and put together that 3-1 lead.

I remember just how good Brian Leetch was in that series as well as Mike Richter. I had so much respect for Leetch after seeing him in that series, and especially in Game 7 when you guys needed somebody to step up, he did that and more, it was probably one of the best games I've seen a defenceman have in a game that meant so much.

It hurt a lot to lose and it still pains me to this day to see moments from that last game but I take pride in knowing that the Canucks-Rangers series is still talked about today as one of the best Stanley Cup Finals in history and hopefully one day we'll be able to experience the same joy that you guys did in '94.

Jovofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
Choice

I was 10 and became a real big fan the president's cup year two years before, but I don't remember that as well.

My biggest memory of the regular season was the trade deadline when they shipped off Amonte, Weight, Marchant and probably some others I'm forgetting for Anderson, Lowe, Matteau Noonan and someone else I'm probably forgetting too.

I was lucky enough to go to game 1 of all of the first three series, smashings of the Isles and Caps and then a double OT loss to the Devils.

Remember watching all the finals games on TV and being super pumped. Game 7 of course was amazing.

I also remember going to the parade, which was a lot of fun too. Can't wait for the next one.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:57 AM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I was 8 years old, and while a fan, my parents had my bedtime set at 8pm every night, no matter what. So, since I would only be able to watch the first period, I decided I wasn't going to watch.

Well, I hear 2 screams of joy from the next door neighbor, so I watch the end of the first period, then I get the call to go to bed.

The first time I saw the entire game was during the lockout.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:44 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
As a side story, the day of game 7 of the Finals, some friends and I blew off afternoon classes and went to play golf in Westchester. Driving back into Manhattan we were waiting for the toll on the Henry Hudson Bridge. I looked over at the lane next to our car. It was Mike Lupica. I made the sign for him to roll down his window. He did and I asked "Hey Mike, do the Rangers win tonight?" He just smiled and said, "Count on it." Pretty cool day.
Great story. I saw Boomer Esiason outside MSG during the playoffs this year and he said something along the same lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
Not sure if you want one, but I come to offer a view from the other side.

I was 14 years old in '94 and was (and still am) a huge Canuck fan. I wasn't expecting much as we entered the playoffs as the 7th seed in the West. But, an unexpected and amazing run that year happened. After the way we fought our way through the Western Conference I was confident that the Canucks could win the Cup, however I was nervous that we were matched up against the Rangers. After winning Game 1 and seeing Kirk McLean's performance I was overjoyed, but then the Rangers just took over and put together that 3-1 lead.

I remember just how good Brian Leetch was in that series as well as Mike Richter. I had so much respect for Leetch after seeing him in that series, and especially in Game 7 when you guys needed somebody to step up, he did that and more, it was probably one of the best games I've seen a defenceman have in a game that meant so much.

It hurt a lot to lose and it still pains me to this day to see moments from that last game but I take pride in knowing that the Canucks-Rangers series is still talked about today as one of the best Stanley Cup Finals in history and hopefully one day we'll be able to experience the same joy that you guys did in '94.
While I'm sure most Canucks fans don't feel the same about us, I actually hope that they can make another deep playoff run. They have great fans and I gained alot of respect for their entire team in 94. I won't lie - I thought we would blow them out. But Kirk McLean was outstanding and Pavel Bure was always one of the most exciting players to watch. You guys will win the cup one of these days and maybe we'll even play you again in the finals (hopefully with the exact same result )

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I went into that cup run at the perfect time. I was 23 years old, full of piss and vinegar, and w/out a care in thw world at the time! ...Other than winning the damn thing.

I shared season tix at the time in 426 w/my brother. We went to alot of games that year, and my job was pretty forgiving about my absences...for a while anyway!

We had been to around 20 or so games that year, and were gearing up for the playoffs. Watching Brian Leetch work his majic with Messier and Graves was poetry in motion. For anyone that never really got to experience any of the aforementioned players, there was just tremendous chemistry between them. Brian Leetch may be one of the best players all-time quarterbacking the PP. He was insane at keeping the puck in the zone, and made passes that nobody saw coming. Graves could park his arse in front of the slot and take the constant pounding that you just don't see with the new rules anymore. Messiers transition game, and ability to control the tempo of a game was phenominal. Top it off with one of the most agile netminders to ever play the game, and a guy who was also brought up through the system in Mike Richter it was, an amazing time in this clubs history. Not only sdid they have talent, and chemistry, they were tough as nails. Maybe the toughest Ranger team ever assembled. They had a top 3 heavyweight in the league in Joey Kocur. He was the guy that literally noody wanted to drop the mitts with and when they did most opponents would just hang on for dear life. He kept players honest. That year in particular, nobody got run w/out retribution. And if Kocur wasen't there to answer the bell, Jeff Beuk, Jay Wells, or Adam Graves would be. Going into the playoffs this team was firing on all cylinders. I believe they and the Wings were the two teams predicted into the finals.

When the playoffs started, there were alot of nerves about playing the Isles in the first round. Everyone knew the Rangers were the much better team, but throw all that out the window when you are playing your greatest rival. There was lots of talk about the team choking. The 1940 chants were being heard not only on Long Island but in other arena's also...and it definately sunk in with the players, especially Adam Graves who went out of his way after winning to toss it back at the non-ranger fans of the world..."No more 1940" I believe is what he was screaming when holding the cup!!! I remember the train ride in to the first game of that series. It was a madhouse! The atmosphere was just amazing, as the city really came to life from the moment the playoffs started. The first game silenced all the skeptical critics when the Rangers blew out the Isles I believe 6-0. Game two was like an exact duplicate. The Garden erupted with a chant of "Can't Score...<Clap> <Clap>...Can't Score" It ewas such a slap in the face, and they even chante dit for a while at the Coliseum in game 3.

After the sweep of the Isles, the next round was more of the same. Wash put up little resistance, and the fate of the team going into Jersey was on the shoulders of Mark Messier...and for the Rangers there couldn't have been a better player in the game to carry that burden. The Devils series IMO was some of the best hockey that Messier ever played. The critics were back in full force, and "the curse" was widely publicized. Nerves were at an all-time high again. Messier's game 6 prediction while facing elimination was one of the greatest NY sports moments of all-time. He delivered as everyone knows with the natural hat-trick to force a game 7. The next game was the only one I missed of all the series. I was forced to listen to it on the radio as I was heading up to a camping trip. I will never forget it as long as I live. Drove throught the night, "white knuckled" in a van heading upstate NY. When they scored the winning goal I drove off the road, nearly crashed with 6 people in the car. Stopped and got out and hugged everyone!!!! The weekend was just made that much better knowing the team was going to the finals!

When I came home my I recieved bad news. I was fired from my job for calling in too much(partying like a rockstar after the games). That was followed by some of the best news ever! My brother, who has a very good friend in Vancouver informed me that if it goes to a game 6, he has two tickets in Vancouver, and that being that I didn't have a job anymore he asked me to go. I packed my bags that night, even though they didn't even play the first game! I split the first two games at the garden w/my father, he took the first, I took the second. I didn't want to miss out of the atmosphere in and around the Garden so I went in, and watched game 1 across the street at "Niles" which was the bar in the "Southgate Tower." Brian Noonan had family there, and I sat next to his sister, or cousin, don't remember which one. They had like 15 people there staying in the hotel and were hooting and hollaring the whole time. As the series panned out, and we realized there would be game 6, we booked our flight to Vancouver. As we were landing, I look over at the tower to see a huge banner hanging from it that read "Go Canucks Go!" In the Airport everyone was talking about the team. There were banners everwhere, jerseys everywhere. Going through customs they ask my brother why he was traveling to Canada, he replied "to watch the Rangers win the stanley cup!" Yeah, that didn't go over too well, so we spent like an hour getting through, where they searched everything in our belongins. My brothers friend(Jim) informed us that when most teams come in to the areas they stay at the Westin Bay Shore. We decided to book our stay there in the hopes that they Rangers themselves would be staying in the same place. We checked in and hopped into the elevator with none other than Stephan Matteau. He was pretty quiet, not that he "big leagued" us but just seemd like a naturally shy person. He stayed on the same floor as we did. As did many of the players. Now if the Rangers would have won that game, there was a room in the hotel that was already getting fitted for a celebration. They had hats, shirts, tv's, food, lots of alcohol, plus another section that looked like it was being prepared for the press. If they won that game we would have been right in the middle of the after-party! But it's almost for the better that they lost game 6, as the Vancouver fan base rioted when they lost game 7. If that was the case there, I would have probably been killed and dragged through the streets with my Adam Graves sweater! I'll never forget the feeling of being in the middle of that arean with the White towels flying around. The place was every bit as crazy as the Garden was. There was a big banner that hung down with a sign that said "Messier, who beat you with the ugly stick!". There was a whole section there that dressed up with thier helmets, and canuck sweaters. They were running up and down the isles with a guy at the top banging a drum. There is no feeling like being in the "belly of the beast". I seriously only saw one or two Ranger sweaters there other than ours. Now after the game was over, it got a little crazy. The place went ballistic! And...there was no security what-so-ever. Some guy and his cronies ripped my sunglasses off and tossed them into the crowd. We were not recieved too well, but kept our chins up and kept re-iterating "Wait till game 7". I am not kidding you would have thought that they won the cup right then and there. The game piled out and probably about 3/4 of the people made thier way to "Robson Street" where the celebration was insane! People actually painted "Go Canucks Go" on thier cars! There was a constant parade up and down the street, in the bars, I had never seen anything like it. We stayed out, and hit the town too...but after a while I couldn't take the constant cars honking thier horns, and "Go Canucks Go" chants that we decided to call it a night. From the hotel we could still hear them partying till all hours of the night. I knew also that the players themselves had to hear it too as we were in the same place. That celebration literally went on till 4am. Coming home, was the worst flight I ever had. We flew through some hellacious storms. It was so bad that the flight attendants didn't even come out once to give out drinks. It was non-stop violent turbulance almost the whole way home. When I got home, I gave my ticket to my father for game 7. He had waited a lot longer than I did for this. I still went in though, and booked the night back in the Southgate Tower. I watched the game there with my sis, and when they won it, erupted into the streets and celebrated with the rest of the Ranger fans.

The whole experience was probably the best time of my life!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Well since I am older than most here (55) it was an incredible experience and one I will cherish forever. My family was a hockey family and everyone was a Ranger fan. My Dad had played high school hockey in Brooklyn at the old Brooklyn Ice Palace before it burned down in the 1940's. I can't tell you exactly when I became a Ranger fan (1958 or 1959) but I can tell you that one of the celebrated stories in my family is from November 1, 1959. That's the night Jacques Plante became the first goaltender ever to wear a mask in an NHL game -- it was in The Garden and he was playing for the Canadiens against the Rangers. I was listening on the radio and when I heard was what was happening, I screamed for my Dad. We listened to the rest of the game together. I had the priviledge of being at The Gareden on June 14, 1994 and after the game was over and I had my T-shirt, I went back into the seating bowl and had a good cry. That night I wore my Dad's religious medals to the game.At 4AM that morning I had a chance to call into WFAN and tell Steve Sommers through my tears how much that game meant to my family. The next weekend I went to his grave to tell him what had happened to our beloved Rangers.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:50 PM
AustinHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
As many of you I was only Nine when they won it. And as much as all of you around here pull the old "Oh I was a fan since the carter administration!!!" crap, I'll be the first to admit I didn't give the rangers (or hockey) the time of day until last fall. So I have the privilege of not knowing what the drought was like. The bf tells me it was a hell of a season to decide to become a fan...
Pulling the old "Oh I was a fan since the carter administration!!!" crap?

Some of us are just older, and are gluttons for punishment.

And Bob, that's a fantastic story. Cheers to your Dad.

Last edited by AustinHockeyFan: 08-05-2007 at 12:52 PM. Reason: content
AustinHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 01:11 PM
rickyrod

I was 14, I remember it pretty well. I didn't see all of the games though, because of school and our school trip. After we won, someone was setting off red, white and blue fireworks in my neighborhood.

I even got to see the cup during the summer when the Rangers held a hockey block party kind of thing at the South Street Seaport. One of the news cameramen got a close up of my skates (Tours, baby) that ended up on the news piece, which was cool. The cup was on display and there were all kinds of skills tests and demonstrations and I ended up with like 20 "Let's Go Rangers!" signs.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

The team didn't start off that great...The game to me that changed the team around was a tie game against Montreal...the Rangers scored 2 goals in the third period to tie the game and i think didn't lose in the next 20 or so games..(the lost to the islanders when THE COULD NEVER BEAT THEM ON LONG ISLAND!!)

there were just so many good games that year...

It meant everything to any true Rangers fan...I mean this team could never get a break but that season everything broke right...It was a great time...After they won the cup it seemed like every week the Cup was someplace else....A resturant, belmont park, southstreet seaport...The Keenan departure put a damper on everything for the fans that summer.....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 01:31 PM
stc1709*

Send a message via AIM to stc1709*
iwas born in 1987 so i was 7 years old, dont remeber any of it so to me it would be nuts for them to win it now, i started watching hockey when my grandfather took me to whalers games, but i somehoe liked the rangers, dont know how but i did and im glad i did, about 9-10 i strated playing street hockey and watching it on tv, here i am at 20 yrs old, and id kill for them to win it now.

and yes id pay 2 grand for 2 tickets to a game 7 of the finals at msg, no questions asked

stc1709* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

I was only 9 at the time like a lot of the posters so far, but I have a pretty good memory of the cup finals and those playoffs in general. 94 was like the year I really started to get into hockey, and I pretty much picked the perfect year being a Rangers fan. I ended up going to 3 playoff games that year, vs Devils and Nucks, and then @Islanders game 4. That year really made me a huge hockey fan, as well as giving me a pretty good vocabulary of curse words to use.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Greg in MA

I was 9 at the time, and I have vivid memories of fighting with my best friend/neighbor over who was the better goaltender, Richter or Brodeur.

You can bet your ass I ran around his yard that next morning screaming "Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!" at the top of my lungs.

I started playing hockey at 6, so I had been paying attention for a while.

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
GarretJoseph*

It was a great great night.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 03:07 PM
xevious

I had seasons in sec. 419 starting in the 91-92 season. What a great season that was, Presidents Trophy, we were going all the way. You know the rest. We moved down to the worst seats in the house (sec. 345?) for 92-93. Crappy seats for a crap season.

My girlfriend at the time (now wife) got accepted into grad school and I moved to Ann Arbor in April 1993 so I had to give up my seats. Guess I missed out but Black Ace Mike Hartman (native Detroiter) brought the cup to Buddys Pizza after the win. He pulled up in his Saab with the cup strapped in the passenger seat. I heard that Mike was there so I ran out back to be the first in line to see it. Mike was real cool, I congratulated him and thanked him for bringing the cup for me to enjoy. We talked for a minute or 2 and I regret not asking if I could hoist it for a pic but felt I didn't deserve to do that.

xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovofan View Post
I had so much respect for Leetch after seeing him in that series, and especially in Game 7 when you guys needed somebody to step up, he did that and more, it was probably one of the best games I've seen a defenceman have in a game that meant so much.
Truer words never spoken. Leetch's superb talents were never in question from the night he first stepped on to the Garden ice in spring '88. But that year, and in particular that playoff series, he raised it to an entirely different level. Which is exactly what only the truly great ones can do. He was, at that moment, the best player on the best team in the NHL. As a hockey fan, it was exciting as hell to watch - a great player playing great when it mattered most.

To be sure, he had superb seasons before and even after.

But the spring of '94 was his time.

Every NYR fan should forever be indebted.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-05-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote