HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Troy Brouwer

Old
08-06-2007, 01:22 AM
hawks35

vCash: 500
Troy Brouwer

Hey guys, I dont know much about him so I thought you guys could help. I was wondering if there was a good chance he would make the hawks this year?
If so, would he be on a scoring line or checking line and what do you see his offensive ceiling being? Is he a 50-60pt player in the NHL or is that too low for him?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

hawks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 10:02 AM
BrightFutures

I do think he has a good chance on making the team this year, considering he did play 10 games last year for the hawks (w/o a point i might add), and he has had 1 more year of experience. About his offensive ceiling, i think it could be very high. As high as maybe an 70+ point season in the within the next 4 years or so. He his kind of similar to rick nash. He skates good, stickhandles well, can shoot, and can also get the garbage. If he can use his big frame to his advantage then he should turn out good.

BrightFutures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 07:56 AM
John Jaeckel

70+ might be high. 55-60 points, 100 PIM is more like it. And that ain't bad. I really like Brouwer's game and mentality, but I wouldn't put him in the Nash category. Nash is a much better one-on-one player.

Brouwer does a lot of things very well. The Hawks are very high on him and rightfully so. They project him as a top 6 forward. I would liken his "game" (though he's not as big a load) to Dustin Penner or maybe Jason Arnott. He's big, strong and hard to move out of the crease. And the thing he does best is get off very quick hard shots in traffic around the net that are tough to stop. After Lalime was down in Norfolk last year, he came back raving about Troy Brouwer's shot. And Lalime has played with and against the best.

Brouwer can pass the puck, he can hit and he plays with an edge. Last game or two of his call-up last year, that's how he played. And even though he didn't score, you noticed him: setting screens, hitting guys, going into the corners with "murderous intentions." I like Blunden and Bickell too, but there's something instinctive and versatile about Brouwer's game that sets him above those two, IMO.

His skating has been his achilles' heel, but supposedly, he's worked hard with Dan Jansen and he looked good at the recent prospect camp. If he makes the Hawks, question is, where does he play? To me, he's got to beat out Bourque, Vrbata and/or Lapointe. And any of them COULD get dealt. Or is someone gets injured, my guess is he's absolutely the first wing call-up from Norfolk.

If Brouwer continues to develop, it's not inconceivable that Hawks first line in a couple of years could be him, Toews and Kane. What we've seen in the NHL the last two years is that size and willingness to bang is still important, but now you have to be able to play too. He could be that kind of player, and provide a nice complement/protection factor for the two "jewels in the crown" so to speak.

John Jaeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 09:01 AM
axecrew

I agree...he would be the first call-up from Norfolk............if he were there. I would think that the hawks would call Rockford if they want a player.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2007, 09:22 AM
John Jaeckel

I meant Rockford. I've been aware of that for awhile. Go read some of the articles on the site.

Thanks for the catch though.

John Jaeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 07:07 PM
tylerbear*

with vrbata gone, we could very well see him in a spot this year. i'm excited for training camp now.

i think dale has a few more moves up his sleeve.

tylerbear* is offline   Reply With Quote