HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Sullivan Article. He is my new Favorite Player!

Old
08-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Super Berg

vCash: 500
O'Sullivan Article. He is my new Favorite Player!

Hey Kings fans, just found this article posted on CBC. I think I saw this on TV before, but re-reading it makes me appreciate what O'Sullivan has overcome in his yet young career. He is now my favorite player and I think he set a very good example for standing up for your rights.
Sorry if this was posted before.
Very good read.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/whoselifeisit/story.html

Super Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 07:31 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

thanks for posting.

I really hope Patrick will be a great KINGS player soon.
I've always liked him, but because of this story I want him to be great even more.

Good luck Patrick!

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 09:29 AM
tbrads

I forgot about what he went through with his Dad. Thats pretty heavy. I sure hope this will be his break out season in the NHL.

tbrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Randart

Till the Kings picked up Patrick in trade I did not know of him. After that I did read many stories to learn more about our new high scoring prospect. I think he is just awesome as a player and person and hope he continues to develope both in the NHL and in his life as a young man. I hope he gets good guidance and counselling from professionals as this behavior is usually learned pattern and he is a candidate to contine this with his own family! Just something to keep a handle on for Patrick's future as a parent and in all his relationships. I wish him all the best he seems on the bright path to a sucessful and happy life now! Good Luck this Season Patrick!~

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Kingswin

thanks for the link

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2007, 12:20 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

great article

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Berg

I am hoping for a big breakout year for him too, but I guess with Kopitar, Cammy, Handzus, Nagy, Frolov and Brown ahead of him, he may not get enough icetime to breakout. Good luck to Patrick all the same.

Old
08-06-2007, 09:03 PM
LuLuBelle

I don't know if you guys noticed, but above the headline for that article you're referring to there's a new video with some updated footage [click on the little camera thingy]. Bob McKeown, the journalist, asked him if there was any possibility of a reunion with his father, I was a little surprised at how sure Patrick was with his answer. I guess I just thought after all this time, maybe he'd consider it??

LuLuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
damn...that was a really good story...i've liked him ever since he came over...I hope he does well for himself in the NHL and for our Kings!!!!

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

Will O'Sullivan be a candidate for the Masterton Award?

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 09:09 PM
no name

The Kings are building from youth. I have to think that if Patrick is earning his ice time he will get it.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Super Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuBelle View Post
I don't know if you guys noticed, but above the headline for that article you're referring to there's a new video with some updated footage [click on the little camera thingy]. Bob McKeown, the journalist, asked him if there was any possibility of a reunion with his father, I was a little surprised at how sure Patrick was with his answer. I guess I just thought after all this time, maybe he'd consider it??
It just strikes me as that he just wants to put his past behind him and focus on the future. That's one way to deal I suppose.
Hope he has a good year and build on it from there.

Old
08-07-2007, 11:38 PM
King Blazer

Last season in Manchester, O'Sullivan was run from behind after the whistle and driven into the goal post (I searched for my original post on this but have given-up the search). Anyway, a Monarch jumped in and fought with the player that hit O'Sullivan as O'Sullivan was still laying on the ice behind the net. O'Sullivan finally got up, gathered his teammates stuff, skated it over to the penalty box, handed it to his teammate and thanked him. Lots of class right there folks...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 02:41 AM
Randart

I knew he was hurt last season and I thought it was a cheap shot but I thought it happend in the pros. Thanks for that info KB... It seems he had his mouth wired shut for a while and had to wear a partial face guard yes? I am very happy to hear that someone took up for him as I hate cheap shots and those that deliver them! Never a good reason for them even in retaliation! I believe in head on head up stuff! Or at least whenever possiable!

Old
08-08-2007, 02:44 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Perseverance.

I hope for nothing but the best for him. He will (if he isn't, he damn sure should) be a top-6 player on the team this upcoming season. Not a doubt in my mind about that.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:24 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Last season in Manchester, O'Sullivan was run from behind after the whistle and driven into the goal post (I searched for my original post on this but have given-up the search). Anyway, a Monarch jumped in and fought with the player that hit O'Sullivan as O'Sullivan was still laying on the ice behind the net. O'Sullivan finally got up, gathered his teammates stuff, skated it over to the penalty box, handed it to his teammate and thanked him. Lots of class right there folks...

is there a video of that? I know you gave up the search but who was the opponent? and what date?

thanks

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 05:27 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob-KingsVisnovsky View Post
is there a video of that? I know you gave up the search but who was the opponent? and what date?

thanks
I don't remember. I know I posted about it here. Most likely thread would have been the Monarchs sticky thread that was up most of last season. I doubt there's a video...

Old
08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Thanks for the link.

When all that stuff was going on I was aware of the basic story, but I didn't know many details or about the television special. Sounds like the father has some very serious emotional/behavioral problems. Patrick, his mom and his sisters deserve alot of credit for breaking away and moving on. All the best to them for the rest of their lives.

Everybody probably knows this already, but for what it's worth. From day one Don Cherry has raved about Patrick as a person and as a hockey player. IMO, under the bluster and crazy suits, Cherry is a true good guy who loves hockey, respects and values all the peolple involved in the sport (players, families, fans, coaches, office people, old timers, zamboni driver, stick boy, you name it) and understands the place hockey takes in Canadian culture and for many other people around the world. For him to so highly and consistently endorse Patrick should pretty much lay to rest doubts about Patricks's character, dedication and love for the game. I hope Patrick enjoys his career, achieves his goals and is always remembered for his life story.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:04 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
I knew he was hurt last season and I thought it was a cheap shot but I thought it happend in the pros. Thanks for that info KB... It seems he had his mouth wired shut for a while and had to wear a partial face guard yes? I am very happy to hear that someone took up for him as I hate cheap shots and those that deliver them! Never a good reason for them even in retaliation! I believe in head on head up stuff! Or at least whenever possiable!
It's safe to assume that his mouth was a mess when he arrived here in Manchester.

Kanko also took on a guy for a nasty hit on O'Sullivan as well. O'Sullivan was about 5-6 feet off the boards, released a pass and the guy ran him at full speed. O'Sullivan flew into the boards and hit hard. He went down for a little bit, got to his feet and made it to the Monarchs bench. Maybe interference, probably boarding. This happened late in a period. The next period, Morris got Kanko onto the ice with the guy that hit O'Sullivan. Kanko challenged the guy and he wouldn't go. Kanko dropped the gloves and went nutty on the guy anyway. Kanko got the instigator penalty BUT, he did what had to be done.

In contrast, when Pushkarev was here in Manchester, he got absolutely leveled by two Hartford players along the boards and stayed down. When the whistle blew for the delayed penatly on the hit, none of his linemates skated over to check on him. None! They just skated to the bench while Pushkarev laid on the ice. The Monarchs trainer headed over from the bench and the players just looked back over their shoulders. You pretty much knew then where Pushkarev stood with his teammates.

Old
08-08-2007, 04:47 PM
sueroe

Quote:
i actually remember that game and your comments. i believe the game was in nov 2006 (as it was not too long after O'Sullivan was sent down), and they were playing toronto. i watched the game as i am also a houston aero fan and was anxious to see O'Sullivan play against former team mate Erik Westrum. I believe Werner and Nolan stepped in to assist O'Sullivan.

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueroe View Post
i actually remember that game and your comments. i believe the game was in nov 2006 (as it was not too long after O'Sullivan was sent down), and they were playing toronto. i watched the game as i am also a houston aero fan and was anxious to see O'Sullivan play against former team mate Erik Westrum. I believe Werner and Nolan stepped in to assist O'Sullivan.
Thanks sueroe great memory! I found the "original call" and you are correct on all counts :

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=7...&postcount=220

Old
08-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
That particular injury came from a game against the Colorado Avalanche with a puck that came off of Craig Conroy's stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Kramer (NHL.com)

Chances are this probably wasn't what the Los Angeles Kings had in mind when they started imploring prized forward prospect Patrick O'Sullivan to try sticking his nose into the middle of the action.

But O'Sullivan, a man awash in points, had a point to prove, even if it was unintentional. So that's why his face has been a mangled mess the past few weeks.

Playing for the Kings against Colorado on Oct. 23, O'Sullivan headed to the front of the Avalanche net. Teammate Craig Conroy made a half-pass, half-shot that deflected off a stick and into the upper portion of his mouth, right below his nose. The impact blew out two of O'Sullivan's front teeth, one of which ripped out root and all. Part of his jaw was smashed, an injury that will require some minor reconstructive surgery. He needed a couple root canals, and one of the roots became infected. He was on painkillers for a month. He couldn't eat properly for about two weeks.

But apart from leaving the game when he was hurt, O'Sullivan didn't miss any more action because of the injury. He quickly resumed regular shifts with the Kings and then with Manchester once he was sent to the Monarchs.

O'Sullivan's game is too finesse? Finesse this!

"Being a young guy, my first year in the NHL, I was trying to play, doing anything I could to stay in the lineup,'' O'Sullivan said. "In retrospect, I don't know if it was the right decision. But that's hockey, right?"
Link

Primakov! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:36 PM
sueroe

Quote:
Thanks sueroe great memory! I found the "original call" and you are correct on all counts :

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=7...&postcount=220
no problem KB! Glad i could help. I can't always remember what day of the week it is, but i do have a good memory for hockey!

sueroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Super Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
That particular injury came from a game against the Colorado Avalanche with a puck that came off of Craig Conroy's stick.

Link
sounds pretty gruesome, the end result was this...always wondered how/when it happend and now I know. Thanks.

Old
08-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Randart

Thanks to all for the info you guys are great! I now am even a bigger fan of Patrick!
He is trully a Hockey Player! This kid has really earned his spot! What a season he had... OMG welcome to the bigs... I just hope he has a really great career and plays us to a couple cups!~ Go Patty Ohhhhh!