HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Fan Looking For Un-Biased Opinions On Penner...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-06-2007, 02:59 AM
  #1
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,320
vCash: 500
Oilers Fan Looking For Un-Biased Opinions On Penner...

First off, I have nothing against Ducks fans, yes I despise Pronger, but I have great respect for a number of the Ducks HF posters on here. I am not looking to get into any debates, I would just like un-biased opinions on Penners game, skills, etc. I have seen him in a number of games, but likely not nearly as much as many of the fans on this board. Some of you will remember that I came on here inquiring about Dustin's status about a month ago as he's a favorite of mine. Here's my opinions from what I've seen...

HUGE guy, great along the walls and in front of the net. Pretty good shot, he can score with it cleanly. Gives defensemen absolute fits when they are battling for position or the puck. Creates lots of room for his linemates because he keeps defensemen honest due to his size and offensive awareness.

Thanks ahead of time, and I appologize if there's been fans of the Oilers giving you guys crap, that is very un-neccessary. If the shoe were on the other foot, the Oilers board would be in an up-roar.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 03:05 AM
  #2
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,748
vCash: 500
In all honesty I have nothing against duck fans and actually thought that when the oilers made their run to the cup that out of detroit, san jose, them and carolina they were the best fans...? no?

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:41 AM
  #3
Pepper
Registered User
 
Pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 14,427
vCash: 500
Dustin's main problem is consistency. One shift he looks like Eric Lindros in prime and the next shift he looks like Jason Bonsignore on drugs. I mean he has all the tools to be a 40g powerforward but so far he just hasn't been able to put it together.

Penner with a 60min mean streak would be great to watch, so far we have seen him play with an edge for like one shift per game.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 05:01 AM
  #4
Lyons71
Registered User
 
Lyons71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,982
vCash: 500
I am really bummed to see Penner go. I think that Perry and Getz are (and will be) better, but he was still quite important to this team.

He is a guy who when doing the right thing can dominate a game and drag the puck to the net as well as anyone in the league. He will have surprisingly good (and randomly placed) one on one skills. He isn't stop/go agile, but moves well side to side and has good hands.

He doesn't fear the net and generally (as long as it's your coach's wish) will drive the puck there with 2 guys on him.

The problem is that he had a good role and spot on Anaheim and I don't know if he can fill in and be the part he is needed to be in Edmonton. He doesn't rush up ice on his own and doesn't really make much happen defensively. He will stick up for his teammates, but he won't look for the big hit most of the time. When he does though, it's worth it. There will be moments of brilliance mixed in with some apparent shifts off. I don't know what causes those...

It sounds stupid, but if he's the 3rd best forward on whatever line he's on, he can be magnificent, and dominate. If he's the #1 you're going to see a lot of -'s like when he was with Marchant and Shannon. If Edmonton puts him on a line with two more 'dangerous' players he will be great! However, with his payday already being achieved I have to wonder how motivated he is, and how well the coaching staff handles him...

You have an above average player with amazing tools. Will the brain feel like showing up? Who knows.... As stated earlier though, a meaner Penner is a better Penner.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 08:42 AM
  #5
stangconv
Registered User
 
stangconv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemmersaJemmer View Post
In all honesty I have nothing against duck fans and actually thought that when the oilers made their run to the cup that out of detroit, san jose, them and carolina they were the best fans...? no?
Definitly have to agree with this statement!!!!

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
  #6
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,783
vCash: 500
I think a lot of it had to do with the optimism even through a loss to Edmonton. Coming off a 76pt season (if I recall correctly) with Niedermayer on board, a new coach, GM and ownership and the flashes the kids showed that year was quite a success and looked like a stepping stone to a lot people, myself included.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 12:38 PM
  #7
HerrAlex
 
HerrAlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: greater Anaheim area
Country: United States
Posts: 1,394
vCash: 500

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 01:36 PM
  #8
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,783
vCash: 500
Penner is awesome when he's dragging defenders with him both behind the net and to the goal. He is not good away from the puck nor in his zone, perhaps some more work and dedication to those aspects will atone in the future, he's still only a 2nd year player. I remember vividly the playoff game he had against Colorado a few years ago where he was feeding Lupul all over the place, if I recall one pass in particular was a skip pass over a defenders stick right onto Lupul's tape to spring him for an easy goal. I haven't seen that playmaking ability since then and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because Getzlaf and Perry were making plays on their own and he didn't have to, I really don't know. He's impossible to move anywhere on the ice which everyone already knows, he has zero mean streak though and isn't as physical as you like him to be, except when he has the puck and is barreling through. He has a decent shot but scores mostly in tight obviously and has below average hands. I think he is an average skater for his size. I'm very curious to see his progression in another organization where I assume his role will be much greater and the microscope will be tighter as he will be under a lot of pressure to rationalize the contract. I liked him and thought he had a nice ceiling but given the pressure of the big contract in only his second season, I'm not sure if this is best way for him to realize it. We'll see, he is a bit of a character so maybe he can deflect any criticism from the off games he has by laughing it off or whatever. He's kinda goofy that way. I'll miss him but that's what happens when you have 3 good young players in a salary cap era, you can only hold it together for so long. Getzlaf is the biggest priority right now and if he walked it would regress the organization tenfold so I'm sure he'll be sticking around no matter what offer may come.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
  #9
Lyons71
Registered User
 
Lyons71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fullerton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnasaurus View Post
Penner is awesome when he's dragging defenders with him both behind the net and to the goal. He is not good away from the puck nor in his zone, perhaps some more work and dedication to those aspects will atone in the future, he's still only a 2nd year player. I remember vividly the playoff game he had against Colorado a few years ago where he was feeding Lupul all over the place, if I recall one pass in particular was a skip pass over a defenders stick right onto Lupul's tape to spring him for an easy goal. I haven't seen that playmaking ability since then and I'm not sure why. Maybe it was because Getzlaf and Perry were making plays on their own and he didn't have to, I really don't know. He's impossible to move anywhere on the ice which everyone already knows, he has zero mean streak though and isn't as physical as you like him to be, except when he has the puck and is barreling through. He has a decent shot but scores mostly in tight obviously and has below average hands. I think he is an average skater for his size. I'm very curious to see his progression in another organization where I assume his role will be much greater and the microscope will be tighter as he will be under a lot of pressure to rationalize the contract. I liked him and thought he had a nice ceiling but given the pressure of the big contract in only his second season, I'm not sure if this is best way for him to realize it. We'll see, he is a bit of a character so maybe he can deflect any criticism from the off games he has by laughing it off or whatever. He's kinda goofy that way. I'll miss him but that's what happens when you have 3 good young players in a salary cap era, you can only hold it together for so long. Getzlaf is the biggest priority right now and if he walked it would regress the organization tenfold so I'm sure he'll be sticking around no matter what offer may come.
He has above average hands.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
  #10
Hockey Duckie
Registered User
 
Hockey Duckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: southern cal
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 500
You know... come to thinking about it... if the Oil kept Lupul, then you already have instant chemistry there! Penner is a play maker and Lupul the sniper. But, alas, Lupul is gone. Penner is like Lupul. Shows brillances and domination in spurts, and then you wonder if he was ever on the ice? If Penner will brought along patiently, then he's gonna do wonders for the Oil. If not, then see Lupul.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:46 PM
  #11
lux_interior
Registered User
 
lux_interior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 500
He will be missed for sure. There's no denying that. He's got excellent size, above average hands, and....considering his size, decent speed.

The things, as other ppl have pointed out, that he needs to work on are:

1. Consistency
2. Keeping his legs moving when he doesn't have the puck.
3. Developing a mean streak, playing more physical.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 04:58 PM
  #12
Static
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 17,733
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
He is lazy and is a puss....there were instances last year where he found his balls and if he played that way all the time he can literally dominate a game. He needs to realize that he isnt 5'11" anymore.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:06 PM
  #13
North Guy
Registered User
 
North Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Not that I've watched either player often, but which player would you rather have...

Scott Hartnell- 25 years old, 6-year, $25.2 million deal for a cap hit of $4.2 million/year.

Dustin Penner - 24 years old, five-year, $21.25 million deal for a cap hit of $4.25 million/year

North Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
  #14
Pwnasaurus
Registered User
 
Pwnasaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Robot City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Guy View Post
Not that I've watched either player often, but which player would you rather have...

Scott Hartnell- 25 years old, 6-year, $25.2 million deal for a cap hit of $4.2 million/year.

Dustin Penner - 24 years old, five-year, $21.25 million deal for a cap hit of $4.25 million/year
Neither at that money quite honestly. I think both are nice players but I'd rather pay others that money.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:43 PM
  #15
caliamad
Registered User
 
caliamad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,756
vCash: 500
Penner for sure. Hartnell's contract is more ridiculous but I'm guessing that was because he came at very low compensation compared to Penner.

As stated Penner isn't just a big body, he has a lot of talent. Consistency is his problem. He's got a great snap shot, rarely uses his slapper.

He's big on the boards, but he takes a beating physically. Most defenseman like Chelios just whack a way at him with his stick until he gives up the puck. I've seen him get crosschecked so many times without penalities is sickening... probably why he had those back problems in post season. He really needs to learn to give it as good as he gets it. With his size he's a wrecking ball.

THe biggest problem with is his consistency and his motivation. I think he'll push himself after signing this contract, but he was known to be one of the lazier person on the teams (i remember seeing those clips where they interview teamates and they'd say he'd always be eaiting junk/food potato chips etc.).

He also had a lot of problems doing anything when he was away from the puck. Apparently he get caught watching the play rather than moving to where the puck is gonna go. Thats supposedly why Carlyle benched him so often. If you watch him, he's really does float out there sometimes rather than getting to the board to block a breakout pass. Not a great forechecker by any strecth of the imagination.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 06:46 PM
  #16
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
You know... come to thinking about it... if the Oil kept Lupul, then you already have instant chemistry there! Penner is a play maker and Lupul the sniper. But, alas, Lupul is gone. Penner is like Lupul. Shows brillances and domination in spurts, and then you wonder if he was ever on the ice? If Penner will brought along patiently, then he's gonna do wonders for the Oil. If not, then see Lupul.
But Penner isn't Lupul if we're talking about size. Plus I found Lupul always running away from the challenge of battling for the puck.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:04 PM
  #17
Sandman33
 
Sandman33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
I just remember him missing wide open nets. Like people in the stands screaming "WOW! HOW DID HE MISS THAT?!"

Oh yeah, he was big.

Sandman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:11 PM
  #18
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
He's a good player, for so much time we had to hear he couldn't touch Bernier with a 10 foot pole, but the fact is right now he's a better player. At the same time he was our sixth or seventh best forward last season. He should get more assists next year, not sure about the goals though. You have to put him on a line that cycles, a speed line does him no good. I'm not sure what the root of his problems were with Carlyle but he was benched too much.

He has hands, he can cycle, and sometimes he plays physical.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:12 PM
  #19
Randall Graves*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 18,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4Stanley View Post
But Penner isn't Lupul if we're talking about size. Plus I found Lupul always running away from the challenge of battling for the puck.
We told you guys that would happen last year and a bunch of you chalked it up as bitterness or whatever.

and yeah, if Lowe knew he wanted Penner he shouldn't have traded Lupul, it would've utilized Penners playmaking alot more.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:23 PM
  #20
MOENing
 
MOENing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cam Town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
First off, I have nothing against Ducks fans, yes I despise Pronger, but I have great respect for a number of the Ducks HF posters on here. I am not looking to get into any debates, I would just like un-biased opinions on Penners game, skills, etc. I have seen him in a number of games, but likely not nearly as much as many of the fans on this board. Some of you will remember that I came on here inquiring about Dustin's status about a month ago as he's a favorite of mine. Here's my opinions from what I've seen...

HUGE guy, great along the walls and in front of the net. Pretty good shot, he can score with it cleanly. Gives defensemen absolute fits when they are battling for position or the puck. Creates lots of room for his linemates because he keeps defensemen honest due to his size and offensive awareness.

Thanks ahead of time, and I appologize if there's been fans of the Oilers giving you guys crap, that is very un-neccessary. If the shoe were on the other foot, the Oilers board would be in an up-roar.

nice sig that is svery funny

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2007, 07:28 PM
  #21
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Duckie View Post
You know... come to thinking about it... if the Oil kept Lupul, then you already have instant chemistry there! Penner is a play maker and Lupul the sniper. But, alas, Lupul is gone. Penner is like Lupul. Shows brillances and domination in spurts, and then you wonder if he was ever on the ice? If Penner will brought along patiently, then he's gonna do wonders for the Oil. If not, then see Lupul.
Excuse me while I get into the JD.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:05 AM
  #22
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
The Oilers Best
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
He's a good player, for so much time we had to hear he couldn't touch Bernier with a 10 foot pole, but the fact is right now he's a better player. At the same time he was our sixth or seventh best forward last season. He should get more assists next year, not sure about the goals though. You have to put him on a line that cycles, a speed line does him no good. I'm not sure what the root of his problems were with Carlyle but he was benched too much.

He has hands, he can cycle, and sometimes he plays physical.
As always, your comments are greatly appreciated, as are the rest of the replies that have come out of this thread. Out of curiousity, has he ever played RW for you guys??? On hockeyDB, he's listed as a RW. A line of Torres-Stoll-Penner would be a potential dandy, especially if Penner could be a bit of a play-maker. We are 1-2 top 6forwards away from having a decent forward line-up right now. My hope is that 1 of Nilsson, Pouliot, Schremp, or O'Marra can step it up and show that they are ready for that role. IMO Nilsson is the closest of the bunch. He can play either wing and is more of a speedy playmaker than a sniper. My hope as an Oilers fan is that we can have a top 10, PP with the likes of Hemsky, Penner, and Souray leading the way. We will likley be an average or below average ES team, so we'll need our special teams to make up the slack.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 02:37 AM
  #23
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4Stanley View Post
But Penner isn't Lupul if we're talking about size. Plus I found Lupul always running away from the challenge of battling for the puck.
That can be said about any player. He's exactly like Lupul where he's awesome one game, then crap the next. He also lacks motivation and a lot of the goals he scores are easy goals. He benefited a lot from being on the line with Getzlaf and Perry. I mean Penner may differ from Lupul where he uses contact, but Lupul had a much better shot. Lupul and Penner are alike in more ways then one.

As far as my opinion for Penner goes: Rally said probably the most important thing so far, he HAS to be on a cycling line. He can't be on a line that relys on speed. If he is, he will fail miserably. That's why he failed so many times on a line with Andymac and Teemu. Carlyle wanted that line to work so bad, but Penner just isn't any benefit on that kind of line.

Bottom line: If Penner can maintain that mean streak he gets every once in a while, and you get him on line that cyles the way the PPG line did, then you will have the best powerforward in hockey.. If he chokes under the pressure, and brings the same guy that he brought last year, then you're going to be regretting giving him that contract from game 1. He was a good player for us last year, but not a 4 million dollar player by any means.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
  #24
selanneIShockey
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Corona, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Penner was definitely great for our team and its unfortunate that we have to see him go (though I'm glad we didn't try to match). He's a big guy who is still learning how to really get in front of the net and cause problems, but with a year or two more he will likely improve tremendously. He already shows a lot of promise and IMO he is going to be a star in Edmonton.

selanneIShockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:20 PM
  #25
Ducks
Registered User
 
Ducks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Riverside, Calif.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,829
vCash: 500
He has the potential to be like Bertuzzi was in his prime, and I'd like to see him get there, but like everyone else has said, aside from a few flashes of domination he is like a teddy bear out there a lot of the time.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.