HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Nate Prosser signs [1-year, 2-way]

Old
07-21-2014, 03:49 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Nate Prosser signs [1-year, 2-way]

Michael Russo
‏@Russostrib
Nate Prosser, the former #mnwild defenseman, has agreed to terms with the #stlblues, per sources. One year, two-way

https://twitter.com/Russostrib

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 04:05 PM
underslept

I'm assuming that Prosser and Butler are depth signings for the AHL/NHL call ups.

A little surprised both were willing to sign two way deals considering last year they were in the NHL and this year they're likely in the AHL barring a trade.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Iron Fist
all Avs belong to us

Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
I'm assuming that Prosser and Butler are depth signings for the AHL/NHL call ups.

A little surprised both were willing to sign two way deals considering last year they were in the NHL and this year they're likely in the AHL barring a trade.
Or injuries, but yes I agree.

Iron Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Interesting that the Blues got Prosser AND Butler when theres already a top 7.

07-21-2014, 04:12 PM
BlueDream

We have two capable guys of being the #7 now for cheap.

Leopold's contract continues to look bad.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Majorityof1

9 deep in NHL-capable D men. That is awesome. I don't think he is as good as Butler, but he is a Righty which we lacked. Another good signing.

Majorityof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 04:26 PM
NBisMe

I think we're signing all these depth D guys to take over before playoffs begin to save us some injuries and keep our good D men well rested.

NBisMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 04:46 PM
BlueDream

We signed forward Jeremy Welsh too.

Really loading up on depth. But hey, that's good.

Old
07-21-2014, 05:08 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I don't know how the Blues are getting these guys to sign 2-way deals, but this is nice for depth. Maybe in the back of Prosser's mind he's thinking, "I can get called up when the roster limit expands at the end of the season, and be able to get my name on the Cup. Meanwhile, its a gig."

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't know how the Blues are getting these guys to sign 2-way deals, but this is nice for depth. Maybe in the back of Prosser's mind he's thinking, "I can get called up when the roster limit expands at the end of the season, and be able to get my name on the Cup. Meanwhile, its a gig."
There are still a lot of defensemen unsigned out there. Then you have teams like Colorado, who are in a tough spot with 8 or 9 defensemen and are probably going to have to look to trade so not to lose someone on waivers. It really is a buyers market.

Still, we now have 9 defensemen who were in the NHL last season. I wonder if this is just because they are cheap depth or if there is more to it.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if Armstrong was willing to retain some salary to trade Leopold.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Vladys Gumption

I definitely think we'll be trying to move Leopold now. It makes too much sense not to.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:26 PM
Itsnotatrap

vCash: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladys Gumption View Post
I definitely think we'll be trying to move Leopold now. It makes too much sense not to.
This is what I am thinking.

Itsnotatrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:27 PM
gumption

Send a message via Skype™ to gumption

they were meant to be teammates.

gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
There are still a lot of defensemen unsigned out there. Then you have teams like Colorado, who are in a tough spot with 8 or 9 defensemen and are probably going to have to look to trade so not to lose someone on waivers. It really is a buyers market.

Still, we now have 9 defensemen who were in the NHL last season. I wonder if this is just because they are cheap depth or if there is more to it.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if Armstrong was willing to retain some salary to trade Leopold.
Schwartz still isn't signed and with only $3.4M in cap space, we may need to clear room. With these signings, Leopold definitely the prime target if that is the case, But it might also be strictly a depth move. Our prospects aren't ready and we need guys to call up dues to injuries last year showed us.. We have signed NHL capable forwards for the AHL as well. The forwards are not quite as good as our D signings, but it is definitely showing a commitment to having NHL talent in Chicago. I think that it's all it is, depth. However, if Schwartz plays hardball with the threat of a hold-out, then maybe Leo becomes a cap casualty. I don't think that is the plan though

Old
07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I love depth, preferably cheap, two-way depth. As with Butler, I honestly don't know anything about him(because who watches opposing teams 6/7 dmen closely ) but he has a season and a half of NHL experience, some playoff experience and will likely only be used in emergencies. Big fan of this, as I was with Butler. 9 Dmen that were in the NHL last year is a bit puzzling. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Leo cap dump at some point. If not, still love the depth. You can never have too many Dmen.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladys Gumption View Post
I definitely think we'll be trying to move Leopold now. It makes too much sense not to now.
It is easier said that done. Why would teams be interested in Leopold at $2.25m with the likes of Colaiacovo, McBain, Del Zotto, Díaz etc still looking for contracts? Then other teams looking to trade cheaper third pairing D...

I'm certain that Armstrong would love to trade Leopold, but would he even be an attractive option for other teams if we retained $750k?

Old
07-21-2014, 05:30 PM
gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorityof1 View Post
Schwartz still isn't signed and with only $3.4M in cap space, we may need to clear room. With these signings, Leopold definitely the prime target if that is the case, But it might also be strictly a depth move. Our prospects aren't ready and we need guys to call up dues to injuries last year showed us.. We have signed NHL capable forwards for the AHL as well. The forwards are not quite as good as our D signings, but it is definitely showing a commitment to having NHL talent in Chicago. I think that it's all it is, depth. However, if Schwartz plays hardball with the threat of a hold-out, then maybe Leo becomes a cap casualty. I don't think that is the plan though
make that $2.78 mil in cap. capgeek says we're at that number now, so we really do need to trade someone now.

Last edited by gumption: 07-21-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old
07-21-2014, 05:36 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumption View Post
make that $2.78 mil in cap. capgeek says we're at that number now, so we really do need to trade someone now.
They currently have Porter and Butler counting against our NHL cap. One (or perhaps even both) of those two will be in the AHL at the start of the season.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:40 PM
gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
They currently have Porter and Butler counting against our NHL cap. One (or perhaps even both) of those two will be in the AHL at the start of the season.
ah, my apologies.

Old
07-21-2014, 05:41 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
It is easier said that done. Why would teams be interested in Leopold at $2.25m with the likes of Colaiacovo, McBain, Del Zotto, Díaz etc still looking for contracts? Then other teams looking to trade cheaper third pairing D...

I'm certain that Armstrong would love to trade Leopold, but would he even be an attractive option for other teams if we retained $750k?
I have to think Leopold holds negative trade value on that contract. Not a lot, but enough that the Blues would probably have to add something (a pick) to the trade and take something inferior in return. They can't afford a cap dump, so it would likely be a nothing prospect and late round pick in return for Leopold and a better pick.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorityof1 View Post
Maybe. Nobody wants Hakanpää or Edmundson thrown into the NHL, but with 8 NHL quality defensemen then it would take 3 injuries for that to become an issue. Would be strange to be just continuing to add depth to prevent that scenario, particularly when it likely won't be difficult to add fringe NHL defensemen during the season if there was a need.

Then again, maybe it is the Wolves who have asked us to do these deals. Not sure if there are set rules on how the AHL salary works, but maybe they've seen an opportunity to improve and 2 way deals are always more attractive to the players involved.

Quote:
That number is with 8 defensemen. If Butler is sent to the AHL then we have ~$3.43m in cap space, if Leopold was sent to the AHL and Butler was the 7th defenseman then we would have ~$3.71m in cap space.

Old
07-21-2014, 05:59 PM
BlueDream

Honestly I'm sure having the Wolves as our AHL team helps a lot in getting these guys signed.

"If I don't make the team, I get to live in Chicago? Yeah I think I can deal with that."

It's much different than Peoria.

Old
07-21-2014, 06:13 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Honestly I'm sure having the Wolves as our AHL team helps a lot in getting these guys signed.

"If I don't make the team, I get to live in Chicago? Yeah I think I can deal with that."

It's much different than Peoria.
Solid point. Both teams appear to be playoff teams too, so that could always work in our favor. If you're going to be playing most of the year in the AHL, I imagine you'd like to play with a good team. Losing is never fun regardless what level.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 06:14 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Capgeek includes Butler in the NHL as an eighth D. As he is on a 2-way contract, it counts zero against the cap if we drop him. That gives us an extra $650k. for the roughly $3.4M. Granted, we may want to carry 8 D or add Jaskin and have 14 forwards. Who knows. Doing either does reduce or cap space.

Old
07-21-2014, 06:27 PM
BlueDream

And, don't you also want to have some breathing room for callups and such too? No way the Blues spend 3.4 mil to be exactly at the cap. I'd think they'd want at least 400-500K of breathing room. If Schwartz gets anything around 3 mil (which I think he should... he came close to a 60-point season) we may have to move someone out.

If it isn't Leopold, my guess would be Paajarvi.