HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

LeBron James vs. Sidney Crosby

View Poll Results: Who is the greater phenom?
LeBron James 208 49.06%
Sidney Crosby 216 50.94%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
No, it was more the fact that James took his team on his back. Thats a pretty bad example.

What if you take LA and Phoenix out of the equation (as I said in a previous post)? I tried to post the stats against the actual teams for the last 2 years, but it was taking too long.
In a sport where you likely see 40+ minutes of the game and only maybe 10 players see the court for your team, it's a lot easier for one individual to carry a team. Crosby would have to do twice as much in his time on the ice to have the same overall impact to his team.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 10:26 AM
slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Is Crosby far and away better than Lecavalier or Thornton?

thornton and vinny in their early years couldnt skate on the same ice as sid. i would say they are close now- but this is after 6-8 years in the league.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
No, it was more the fact that James took his team on his back. Thats a pretty bad example.
LeBron was 8th in NBA playoff scoring, leading his team, and Getzlaf was 5th in NHL playoff scoring, leading his team.

If playoffs are your defining period, Getzlaf did as well as Lebron. Which is why it's ridiculous to give the playoffs so much weight when the regular seasons have such a disparity, and since NBA players have a greater individual impact than NHL players by the nature of their sport.

Quote:
What if you take LA and Phoenix out of the equation (as I said in a previous post)? I tried to post the stats against the actual teams for the last 2 years, but it was taking too long.
Why, do WC players not have their stats against LA and Phoenix count? There are chump teams in both conferences, and it's only natural that skilled players are going to beat up on them.

Quote:
The same sort of argument could be made for Crosby's season, having the worst team in the NHL in his division. Once he made the playoffs against only the good teams, he didnt do a whole lot.
Did you watch the Penguins play in the post-season, or are you just looking at the box score? Crosby was great in the playoffs, his first, managing a PPG despite a fractured foot and most of his teammates not providing support.

Ask an Ottawa fan if they thought Crosby didn't do much, because I heard exactly the opposite at playoff time.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:26 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Wade doesn't play defense. They both can get a shot off any where at any time. Wade is not a better ball handler, nor is he a better all-around player. lol, Lebron has certainly lived up to the hype, and he doesn't have Shaq on his team. Wade getting another ring depends on Shaq.
And thats your opinion "lol". Wade is the better all around player and smarter player. For as much as he has the rock in his hand, he is one of the most efficient scorers and playmakers in the league. His shot attempts per game were lower than any of the top scorers in the league, yet he still averaged 28.8 a game before his injury. And lets not even talk about Shaq being with him. Shaq did crap in the finals against Dallas, it was all Wade. 35+ points/game and the will and killer instinct to put Dallas to rest. Ive seen that constantly from Wade, Ive seen it ONCE from LeBron. My opinion, there is no doubt.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Ten

Crosby is already THE best player in hockey at the age of 20, Lebron will have to wait until he's 24/25/26 to be that good.

Crosby wins, easily.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Skk82

One similiarity between Lebron and Crosby is just how ready they were to jump right into the pro levels. Both had the size and unheard of body builds to be great talents at a young age.

Not Crosby so much for size meaning height; but his build of 5'11, 190 solid is unheard of how much strength he could generate as a teenager in the NHL.

It's too hard to compare stats from sport to sport; hockey's so much more of a team oriented sport and basketball players rack up easily double the minutes. But compare them against their peers. At 19 Crosby lead his league in scoring and won every major individual trophy. I don't think Lebron's even done that at his age of 23/24.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Is Crosby far and away better than Lecavalier or Thornton?
Yes. The stats don't lie my friend. Joe and Vinny are great players, but I don't think they could have done what Crosby has done with the Pens.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:52 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
How many people here actually are big basketball fans? The reason I ask is because if you polled a basketball forum, you would probably see the same poll results, but with LeBron having the overwhelming amount. Its difficult to get a true vote because of voters knowledge, of lack of, for both players and sports. Personally, basketball has been a part of my life since I was a child. I played HS and college ball, and I played some time overseas as well. Im a huge Heat fan, and a fan of the NBA, but I now love my hockey more.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Devils Mike*

Send a message via MSN to Devils Mike*
I'm not a big basketball fan, but I'll say lebron. Before he went on his home team his team was really horrible, and this year he carried them to the finals.

Devils Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:24 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
How many people here actually are big basketball fans? The reason I ask is because if you polled a basketball forum, you would probably see the same poll results, but with LeBron having the overwhelming amount. Its difficult to get a true vote because of voters knowledge, of lack of, for both players and sports. Personally, basketball has been a part of my life since I was a child. I played HS and college ball, and I played some time overseas as well. Im a huge Heat fan, and a fan of the NBA, but I now love my hockey more.
I don't think so, it'd probably be closer to even. Most NBA fans are probably aware that LeBron isn't even the best player at his position.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Garbs

Quote:
He's better at FTs than Duncan... (not much of a compliment though).

The same sort of argument could be made for Crosby's season, having the worst team in the NHL in his division. Once he made the playoffs against only the good teams, he didnt do a whole lot.

We should have this poll every offseason. It'll be interesting to see how they both respond to their last seasons.
Probably because he played the second best team in the league in the first round? Do you think LeBron would have gotten out of the first round if he faced Phoenix? Of course not. It would have been a sweep.

Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Garbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I am, and I frequent an NBA board a lot. Here, while many may not like Crosby, everyone still concedes that he's the best player in the world, and worth the hype. Over there, aside from Cleveland fans, people do nothing but call into question his ability and hype. It's the general consensus among basketball fans that Bryant, and Duncan are simply better than him. You'll find a large portion who think Wade is also a better player, and right now, I'd agree with them. Before Wade went down to injury, he was having a better season than LeBron, and that was coming off a Championship and MVP.

Old
08-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
In a sport where you likely see 40+ minutes of the game and only maybe 10 players see the court for your team, it's a lot easier for one individual to carry a team. Crosby would have to do twice as much in his time on the ice to have the same overall impact to his team.
Ya, thats why its tough to compare different sports. Makes for good discussion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Probably because he played the second best team in the league in the first round? Do you think LeBron would have gotten out of the first round if he faced Phoenix? Of course not. It would have been a sweep.
He beat Detroit, and in one game he did it all by himself. I dont like "if" arguments though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
LeBron was 8th in NBA playoff scoring, leading his team, and Getzlaf was 5th in NHL playoff scoring, leading his team.

If playoffs are your defining period, Getzlaf did as well as Lebron. Which is why it's ridiculous to give the playoffs so much weight when the regular seasons have such a disparity, and since NBA players have a greater individual impact than NHL players by the nature of their sport.

Ya, I said above that its tough to compare across sports. Not too many people would say Getzlaf put the team on his back though. I dont think thats comparable at all.

Why, do WC players not have their stats against LA and Phoenix count? There are chump teams in both conferences, and it's only natural that skilled players are going to beat up on them.

I just looked and saw low point totals against the good teams in the west. That was mainly becasue I was anticipating that someone would use the "Lebron is in the east" argument, but James but up very good numbers vs the WC.

Did you watch the Penguins play in the post-season, or are you just looking at the box score? Crosby was great in the playoffs, his first, managing a PPG despite a fractured foot and most of his teammates not providing support.

Ask an Ottawa fan if they thought Crosby didn't do much, because I heard exactly the opposite at playoff time.
I saw a little, not a whole lot. Sports are results based though.

I'm not bashing Crosby. Just making sure people here see alternate opinions. And seeing how people say things like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck71 View Post
basketball isnt that tough of a sport at all to play? Hockey takes 10x to amount of skill and talent to play than basketball does
and
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
**** the NBA and **** ESPN
...some people need some enlightening.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Garbs

Quote:
He beat Detroit, and in one game he did it all by himself. I dont like "if" arguments though.
They weren't a top 3 team in the league like the Senators. Any of the top 3 seeds in the West would have blown the Cavs out.

Old
05-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
Who is the better player within their respective sports? Who will have achieved more by the time their careers are finished?

Who is the greater phenom?

LeBron James (3 years pro)

2003-2004 NBA First All-Rookie Team (19 years old)
2003-2004 NBA Rookie of the Year (19 years old)
2004-2005 Second All-NBA Team (20 years old)
2005-2006 First All-NBA Team (21 years old)
2006-2007 Second All-NBA Team (22 years old)
3 All-Star Appearences (Won MVP of the game in 2005-2006)

Cleveland Cavaliers

2004-2005 : 42 W - 40 L / 9th in conference
(Did not qualify for playoffs)
2005-2006 : 50 W - 32 L / 4th in conference
(Lost in Conference Semifinals)
2006-2007 : 50 W - 32 L / 2nd in conference
(Lost in Finals)

Sidney Crosby (2 years pro)

2005-2006 NHL All-Rookie Team (18 years old)
2006-2007 NHL First All-Star Team (19 years old)
2006-2007 NHL Art Ross Trophy (19 years old)
2006-2007 NHL Lester B. Person Award (19 years old)
2006-2007 NHL Hart Trophy (19 years old)
1 All-Star Appearence

Pittsburgh Penguins

2005-2006 : 22 W - 46 L - 14 OTL / 15th in conference
(Did not qualify for playoffs)
2006-2007 : 47 W - 24 L - 11 OTL / 5th in conference
(Lost in Conference Quarterfinals)

Personally I don't even think this is close, but I won't give my answer just yet.
-----BUMP-----

What a difference a couple years makes. Crosby had more playoff success last year, but LeBron was just crowned NBA MVP, while finishing 2nd in the defensive player of the year voting.

Crosby:
07-08 Season:
Missed 29 games due to injury, finished 30th in scoring.
Voted to All-star game
Pens finished 2nd in the East

07-08 Playoffs:
Lost in Stanley Cup Finals
Tied for lead in playoff scoring (in 2 less games)

08-09 Season:
Missed 5 games due to injury, finished 3rd in scoring
Voted to All-star game
Pens finished 4th in the East

James:
07-08 Season:
Led the NBA in ppg scoring at 30.0 ppg
2nd in NBA total scoring at 2250 points
Voted to All-star game
Voted All-star game MVP
Finished 4th in NBA MVP voting
Became youngest person to score 10,000 points at 23 years and 59 days
Cavs finished 4th in the east

07-08 Playoffs:
2nd in ppg scoring at 28.2 ppg
7th in total scoring at 366 points (in 13 games)
Lost in game 7 East Final against the eventual champions

08-09 Season:
2nd in NBA ppg scoring at 28.4 ppg
2nd in NBA total scoring at 2304 points
Voted to All-star game
Finished 2nd in Voting for NBA defensive player of the year
Voted NBA MVP, garnering 109 of 121 first-place votes
Cavs finished with the best record in the NBA
Led his team in all 5 major statistical categories (points, rebs, assists, steals and blocks)

We'll see how they do in the playoffs. They are both in the 2nd round.

-----BUMP-----

Old
05-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Wait, so you're saying throwing a ball at a ring is considered a sports these days? The more you know.

(I kid. I realize it's a physically challenging game - I just don't like it.)

Vipers31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
-----BUMP-----

What a difference a couple years makes. Crosby had more playoff success last year, but LeBron was just crowned NBA MVP, while finishing 2nd in the defensive player of the year voting.

Crosby:
07-08 Season:
Missed 29 games due to injury, finished 30th in scoring.
Voted to All-star game
Pens finished 2nd in the East

07-08 Playoffs:
Lost in Stanley Cup Finals
Tied for lead in playoff scoring (in 2 less games)

08-09 Season:
Missed 5 games due to injury, finished 3rd in scoring
Voted to All-star game
Pens finished 4th in the East

James:
07-08 Season:
Led the NBA in ppg scoring at 30.0 ppg
2nd in NBA total scoring at 2250 points
Voted to All-star game
Voted All-star game MVP
Finished 4th in NBA MVP voting
Became youngest person to score 10,000 points at 23 years and 59 days
Cavs finished 4th in the east

07-08 Playoffs:
2nd in ppg scoring at 28.2 ppg
7th in total scoring at 366 points (in 13 games)
Lost in game 7 East Final against the eventual champions

08-09 Season:
2nd in NBA ppg scoring at 28.4 ppg
2nd in NBA total scoring at 2304 points
Voted to All-star game
Finished 2nd in Voting for NBA defensive player of the year
Voted NBA MVP, garnering 109 of 121 first-place votes
Cavs finished with the best record in the NBA
Led his team in all 5 major statistical categories (points, rebs, assists, steals and blocks)

We'll see how they do in the playoffs. They are both in the 2nd round.

-----BUMP-----
Ovechkin is more the face of the NHL now anyway. But yeah, LeBron is more important to the NBA than any one player is for the NHL.

Norm MacDonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Ovechkin is more the face of the NHL now anyway. But yeah, LeBron is more important to the NBA than any one player is for the NHL.
Yeah, I agree that Ovechkin vs James now seems like a better comparison.

Old
05-04-2009, 08:30 PM
re5piration
'67 til

This thread's embarrassing

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 08:31 PM
AK

LeBron means more to his sport than any other player, ever.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
LeBron means more to his sport than any other player, ever.

I just wanted to show a picture of his wife.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
I just wanted to show a picture of his wife.
You wanted to show a picture of Tiger's wife?

Old
05-04-2009, 09:04 PM
TheCH*

Crosby, because i guarantee he is better at basketball then Lebron is at ice hockey! Lebron on skates would be hilarious.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges St Laraque View Post
Crosby because hockey is a much tougher sport to play than basketball.Some will disagree but i think that to be the best in hockey you have to be a more complete athlete than in basketball.
You have to be a complete ignorant to say that too. Next time, don't post, you're clueless? Keep your ignorance to yourself, thank you.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2009, 09:10 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
You have to be a complete ignorant to say that too. Next time, don't post, you're clueless? Keep your ignorance to yourself, thank you.
I think he is right.

Am I ignorant too?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote