HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Cherepanov

Old
08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
What I would add to the above's post is that this year is as well most likely Straka's last year as it is Shanahan, and Chera is not a 3rd line player, he's a 1st/2nd line player.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Avy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
does anyone see Cherry as the next Pavel Bure without the big knee injury??
No, he is basically like Gretzky, only with better hands.

Avy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Easy....

08-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Hockeyplyr06*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102 View Post
I completely agree, it's hard not to get psyched about this kid, it's just let's not expect miracles from this teenage kid, I would be more than happy with a 19 goal rookie season.
I could be mistaken but didn't Prucha get 20 goals his first seoson? This kid is much better then Prucha... 40 goals is my estimate. I mean, he got more goals his rookie year then any other russian player in that league including Ovechkin(sp).

Hockeyplyr06* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Pizza

....30 goals the first season, 22 the second season.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Levitate

Prucha was also quite a bit older when he joined the ranks of the NHL. It might not seem to make a difference, but more experience never hurts.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
....30 goals the first season, 22 the second season.
trade him now!!!!!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
In all likelihood Straka will retire after this season, especially if we win the cup, if not, and he has a great year, perhaps he'll come back for 1 more try. On top of Shanny being pretty much a definite, but who knows..

If they both do go that's almost 6m in cap space that will be available. We will have to add at least 1 top 6 winger. Might Marian Hossa be a target or will he just go to the first team who offers him 10m? Certainly won't be able to afford more than 1 star up front, so on the second line we will have to fill from within.. With Cherepanov coming we could see this:

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Dawes/Korpikoski-Drury-Cherepanov
Prucha-Anisimov-Callahan
Hossa-Betts/Dubinsky-Bourret

With potentially 6 forwards being developed from within that's pretty damn good, and could save a lot of money since we'll have to really focus on the blueline next summer.

Last edited by Carlos Ranger: 08-07-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 08:23 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
In all likelihood Straka will retire after this season, especially if we win the cup, if not, and he has a great year, perhaps he'll come back for 1 more try. On top of Shanny being pretty much a definite, but who knows..

If they both do go that's almost 6m in cap space that will be available. We will have to add at least 1 top 6 winger. Might Marian Hossa be a target or will he just go to the first team who offers him 10m? Certainly won't be able to afford more than 1 star up front, so on the second line we will have to fill from within.. With Cherepanov coming we could see this:

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Dawes/Korpikoski-Drury-Cherepanov
Prucha-Anisimov-Callahan
Hossa-Betts/Dubinsky-Bourret

With potentially 6 forwards being developed from within that's pretty damn good, and could save a lot of money since we'll have to really focus on the blueline next summer.
But won't we need some of that 6m in cap space freed up by the departure of Shanny and Straka to sign guys like Rozsival, Tyutin and Girardi? Not to mention Hank's gonna get at least 1m extra going forward, and Avery will need another raise if he is to stick around. Unless the cap goes up another 6m we're probably not gonna have the space to sign a guy like M Hossa.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But won't we need some of that 6m in cap space freed up by the departure of Shanny and Straka to sign guys like Rozsival, Tyutin and Girardi? Not to mention Hank's gonna get at least 1m extra going forward, and Avery will need another raise if he is to stick around. Unless the cap goes up another 6m we're probably not gonna have the space to sign a guy like M Hossa.
Just allocate the same money towards forwards that is departing, should have no problem taking care of the D because about 12m is also coming off the books as well. if the cap goes slightly up there's no need to worry about certain players getting slight raises.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplyr06 View Post
I could be mistaken but didn't Prucha get 20 goals his first seoson? This kid is much better then Prucha... 40 goals is my estimate. I mean, he got more goals his rookie year then any other russian player in that league including Ovechkin(sp).
If your expecting 40 goals in his rookie season, get ready to be dissapointed. He probably won't be older than 20-21 and how many 40 goal scorers are of that age? I'm not saying that it's not going to happen, but i would certainly be satisfied with 25goals and 40 assists in his rookie year.

I don't think its fair to compare Prucha to Cherepanov, by your logic Malkin should've scored 60 his rookie year and Crosby should've scored 80...it's not just a viable comparison. Malkin "only" scored 33 goals, does that mean Prucha is a Malkin comparable? No.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 02:08 AM
LUNDQVISTISAMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn View Post
I hope Anisimov makes it to the NHL this year. In that case maybe he can play with Cherepanov on the third line with Prucha also. Callahan can be moved to the second line. I would also keep Avery. However, who knows about Shanahan. He might retire.
However, they might keep Shanahan if Avary wants to much money.
Also let's see if Cherepanov is ready or not.

If everything does work out. Next year I would like to see these lines.

Straka Gomez Jagr
Avery Drury Callahan
Prucha Anisimov Cherepanov
Hollweg Betts Hossa
Orr

These could be very good lines with spread out scoring.
If everything does work out. Next year I would like to see these lines.

Straka Gomez Jagr
Avery Drury Callahan
Prucha Anisimov Cherepanov
Hollweg Betts Hossa
Orr

These could be very good lines with spread out scoring.[/QUOTE]

im sorry but i think that those lines are out of whack. this is how i see it for this coming year.

shanny drury jagr
straka/avery gomez hossa
prucha anisimov callahan
holleweg betts dawes

the year after "saying shanny retires."

straka drury jagr
chereponov gomez hossa
prucha anisimov callahan
holleweg betts dawes

thats also saying we let avery walk cuz he wants more than he deserves

LUNDQVISTISAMAZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:06 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Is there any reason he shouldn't get top minutes this year?
With top minutes I mean "Jagr minutes". I am sure he will get as much 5 on 5 as the rest, and atleast some PP time. But he is still only 18, and all it takes is one RW who is better then him on the PP and it will be extremely hard for Cherry to put up point per game numbers...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
Gretzky is a no-no when it comes to comparisions! Though I kind of agree with you -- he is more Gretzky then Bure atleast. Great hockeysense and awareness, great agility -- always keeps his speed up no matter how much he turns and dekes, though he is more of a shooter then Gretzky was. And he is not close to beeing as dominant as Gretzky was in any aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
One of the random Rangers bloggers (don't remember who...Dave Maloney maybe?) said they felt Cherepanov was feisty and tough along the boards during the development camp. But that somewhat contrasted with some other reports that said he had some trouble.

So...might have been a situation where he tried hard but isn't quite strong enough to be as effective as he could be. At any rate, hopefully he gets stronger this year
I've seen him get hit along the boards and go down a few times, even when playing with a full shield. I've never seen him intimidated, nor seen anything that have made him back down. Though I can guess, despite not having seen him in the U18 WCH, understand where Woodleafs opinion on him comes from.

Basically, it seemed like, if he got hit ugly -- despite not getting hurt -- he would go down and stay down untill the whistle blew.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:19 AM
NYRJurgen88

Send a message via MSN to NYRJurgen88
Cherepanov will be an excellent player for many years im sure. I think we are all grateful he fell to 17 as by all accounts Sather was willing to trade up to 3rd overall to get him. The fact that never happened is a benefit to the org.... in terms of pieces.

Cherepanov IMO will become a 40 goal/yr scorer. He has the talent, the attitude and the speed to do so, but to expect that straight off the bat is unfair to him, given the pressure to do well in NYC is already huge.

One person said Prucha hit 30 straight away, he didnt have anywhere near the same expectations and could play with alot less pressure and he was also 3 or 4 years older. Prucha (and im a fan) wouldnt have been near 10 goals if he entered the league at 19... hence he was still in Czech Rep.

If Cherepanov hits 25 goals we can all be very happy. Can he do more? of course but lets not expect it!!!

NYRJurgen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:24 AM
DimaNYR

Cherepanov's team, Avangard, Omsk, had its first "friendly" game against a second-echelon team from Switzerland yesterday, winning 11-1. Cherep had one goal. Based on very limited info that I could find, it looks like Alexei was playing on the 3rd line. I hope his coaches will give him more playing time so he will improve his skills on top lines.

DimaNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:28 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTEKJIO View Post
Cherepanov's team, Avangard, Omsk, had its first "friendly" game against a second-echelon team from Switzerland yesterday, winning 11-1. Cherep had one goal. Based on very limited info that I could find, it looks like Alexei was playing on the 3rd line. I hope his coaches will give him more playing time so he will improve his skills on top lines.
Thanks for the update. If you use teams closer to home as an example, the pre season ice time means very little. If anything the more important players get reduced time to limit injuries. They suually give the fringe players a chance to earn spots - i assume this is the same in Russia...

If he was playing enough time to pot 18 goals as an 18 yr old... im sure he'll get good ice time this year too. My main hope for Cherepanov is that he gets stronger this year and ice time isnt essential for that. He'll be fine.

The fact that he still scored with limited time is a good thing!

Old
08-08-2007, 04:34 AM
DimaNYR

I agree - wouldn't want an important player getting injured in a meaningless "warm-up" match

Alexei's importance and leadership value is obvious from an interview with Nemchinov, who will be the head coach for the Russia's junior team (U-20). In that interview it was mentioned that the leader of the team will be Cherepanov (althought Nemchinov did not want to actually say it, it was understood).

EDIT - if anyone wants me to, I can post a link to that interview (it's in Russian)

DimaNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:44 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTEKJIO View Post
I agree - wouldn't want an important player getting injured in a meaningless "warm-up" match

Alexei's importance and leadership value is obvious from an interview with Nemchinov, who will be the head coach for the Russia's junior team (U-20). In that interview it was mentioned that the leader of the team will be Cherepanov (althought Nemchinov did not want to actually say it, it was understood).

EDIT - if anyone wants me to, I can post a link to that interview (it's in Russian)
unfortunately my russian isnt good enough to appreciate it!!! but thanks

Old
08-08-2007, 06:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Thomas Hickey and Zach Hamill received $500,000 in performance bonuses in addition to the max of $875,000.Patrick Kane got the max with another $2.85 million in potential bonuses.Jakub Voracek also signed with Columbus who reportedly got $425,000 in bonuses.The max for 2007 draft picks is $875,000

Quote:
Hamill also could earn a total of $500,000 per season in Individual A bonuses, $75,000 more than No. 7 pick Jakub Voracek agreed to with the Columbus Blue Jackets last Friday.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...0Bruins%20news

The max for A bonuses is $850,000 and for B bonuses it's $2,000,000

Cherepanov was taken after the above mentioned players but he is probably going to get some bonuses in his entry level contract considering he was a consensus top 5 pick/talent who dropped due to the lack of a transfer agreement and some questions about his work ethic/lack of consistency

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 06:44 AM
NYRJurgen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Thomas Hickey and Zach Hamill received $500,000 in performance bonuses in addition to the max of $875,000.Patrick Kane got the max with another $2.85 million in potential bonuses.Jakub Voracek also signed with Columbus who reportedly got $425,000 in bonuses.The max for 2007 draft picks is $875,000

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...0Bruins%20news

The max for A bonuses is $850,000 and for B bonuses it's $2,000,000

Cherepanov was taken after the above mentioned players but he is probably going to get some bonuses in his entry level contract considering he was a consensus top 5 pick/talent who dropped due to the lack of a transfer agreement and some questions about his work ethic/lack of consistency
I dont know, Sather seems to be playing hard ball recently in terms of contracts if Avery etc is anything to go by... on the other hand will he give AC what he wants merely to get him over here?

I suppose the other aspect is, depsite his rookies status, when he gets here most people are hoping for a minimum of 20 goals in his first year.. if he hits 50 points in his rookie year he'll be worth all the bonuses anyway right?

Old
08-08-2007, 11:17 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

From what I've seen of Cherepanov, he is a very dynamic player, who unlike most Russians gets his goals in high traffic areas. I've watched him at the WJC and seen clips online, and I've been very impressed with how he plays a more North American game for a guy who is seen as a skilled, finesse forward. This is a guy that can carry the puck and dance through people, but he just doesn't do that. He'll carry the puck for a while and dish it off when the time is right. Not only that, but he has the ability to turn his footspeed up like he's turning a lightswitch on. A very deceptive burst of speed that catches defenders off-guard easily. He doesn't have an incredible shot that's going to beat goaltenders from up high, he's a guy that's going to score a lot of goals down low and in close. But he's a very talented and very smart player for someone his age. While his defensive and physical game need work, he's not a slacker by any means. He gets this reputation based on the fact that he just doesn't skate hard unless he has to. He looks like he's gliding with the puck, and then all of a sudden goes into after-burner mode and makes people look stupid, and from there, it makes scouts question his work ethic, and to simplify the case, it's not a question of his work ethic at all. From what I've seen, I have more reason to believe that he'll put up more assists than goals. Guys like Ovechkin, Bure, and Kovalchuk were snipers, especially Bure and Kovalchuk, who are most definitely shoot first. I believe Cherepanov just might become a more complete offensive player than the latter two. He might even score more points than Kovalchuk, based simply on the fact that he'll be a better playmaker who is much more willing to pass the puck. I'm not here to slam Bure and Kovalchuk, as Pavel Bure is one of my favorite players of all time, but the fact of the matter is that they were finishers. They were not playmakers by any standard. Cherepanov if you ask me will remind some of Peter Forsberg in the sense that he'll be a pass-first guy that will score highlight reel goals when he decides to take it himself.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Can Cherepanov play in the NHL before we start comparing him to Pavel Friggin Bure and Ilya Kovalchuk or Peter Forsberg?

Two hall of famers and somebody that is on track for a Hall of fame career

Youtube clips (of his BEST moments) are not something you can scout a player on..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Can Cherepanov play in the NHL before we start comparing him to Pavel Friggin Bure and Ilya Kovalchuk or Peter Forsberg?

Two hall of famers and somebody that is on track for a Hall of fame career

Youtube clips (of his BEST moments) are not something you can scout a player on..
If we ever picked up the habit of using sound reason on this board, there'd only be 82 threads. All them GDT's.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
If we ever picked up the habit of using sound reason on this board, there'd only be 82 threads. All them GDT's.
Coldshots whole post looks like a book report on a book he didn't read...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote