Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Jere Karalahti

Old
12-13-2007, 11:35 AM
In the Doghouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekkonen View Post
The only thing I'm not quite clear about is whether he could play for a team in a lower-tier league -- I suppose not, but I'm not sure.
No, he cannot play in any of finnish leagues, or any european leagues either. So I guess this could be over for Jere.

In the Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Kekkonen

Yup, it doesn't look good for him, especially if you count in the fact that any kind of a drug-related conviction could mean that the local arm of the WADA lands on him like a ton of bricks.

Well, it's not like he hasn't been given a second chance. And then a third, and a fourth, etc. ... does he have any other marketable skills besides his obvious hockey talent?

Kekkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekkonen View Post
Yup, it doesn't look good for him, especially if you count in the fact that any kind of a drug-related conviction could mean that the local arm of the WADA lands on him like a ton of bricks.

Well, it's not like he hasn't been given a second chance. And then a third, and a fourth, etc. ... does he have any other marketable skills besides his obvious hockey talent?
I think his next occupation will be in the illegal "protection" business.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Kekkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
You think he'd have what it takes? Let's see... big, looks mean, doesn't appear to be overly bright... why yes, looks like he's got a career ahead of him!

Old
12-14-2007, 04:37 AM
Jokerit Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Could become a singer then stripper?!

Jokerit Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2007, 02:56 PM
In the Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerit Wasp View Post
Could become a singer then stripper?!
No, there's no room for two in that field as Matti is still alive and kicking...

Old
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Kekkonen

In case there's someone who's interested but has a hard time reading Finnish, Karalahti has now been officially charged. If found guilty, he will face a minimum of one year in jail (the max is 10 years).

Old
01-31-2008, 02:28 PM
gib

Haha, Karalahti is the man!

Today he told in the court that he was drunk from the first of may to end of june. There was couple of days when he wasnt drunk, but still nearly to months! How good player would he have been if he had just a little motivation to practise and exercise in the summer..

gib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2008, 02:36 PM
In the Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gib View Post
Haha, Karalahti is the man!

Today he told in the court that he was drunk from the first of may to end of june. There was couple of days when he wasnt drunk, but still nearly to months! How good player would he have been if he had just a little motivation to practise and exercise in the summer..
And the best part was when he told that his team HIFK had contract with taxi-company so taxi always picked up Jere when he wasn't able to drive to practices himself (=when he was too drunk to drive). And of course HIFK paid all of this... What a great employer! Now I know why everyone wants to play in HIFK!

EDIT: But to be honest, I think this is kinda sad. He had all the tools to become a GREAT player and he blew it completely. What a waste of talent... And the saddest thing is that he also has wife and daughter, this has not been easy for them, and nor will it be.

Old
01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
jore

It's not kinda sad, it's pathetic. The guy makes 200 000 € + a year, and during the summer he has 50 € on his account and 40 000 €+ of debts from drinking. His career won't last long, and I'm not confident he can handle a normal day job after that. What a waste of talent.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Kekkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Doghouse View Post
EDIT: But to be honest, I think this is kinda sad. He had all the tools to become a GREAT player and he blew it completely. What a waste of talent...
True, but you also have to wonder what the @$#*!! HIFK management was thinking. Supporting your guy in tough times is one thing, but with the eleventy-seven final warnings and all this crap, they were the worst sort of enablers here.

Old
02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
TK79

Kamalahti will be in jail within a couple of yers.. Count on it..

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 11:06 AM
HalfOfFame*

Such a loser outside of the rink

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Korkki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
Kamalahti will be in jail within a couple of yers.. Count on it..
I would bet that he will walk free. There won't be enough evidence to put him into the prison...

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2008, 08:27 PM
HalfOfFame*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
I would bet that he will walk free. There won't be enough evidence to put him into the prison...
but usually he is on the headlines cause of acts out of the rink, not where they play the hockey..

HalfOfFame* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 06:37 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

I think the "throw him to jail" or references to his drug use are just plain stupid. Karalahti has punished himself enough, as he could have been easily now playing in NHL making over 1-2 million dollars per season. Now he has financial problems, a legal case and hockey future in Slovakia.

Karalahti's rights are now with Slovan Bratislava out of Slovakian league. Karalahti told that he acquired offers from Sweden, Slovakia and Austria. Karalahti will not join Bratislava before sorting out his personal things in Finland.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2008, 07:54 AM
In the Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_finn View Post
Karalahti's rights are now with Slovan Bratislava out of Slovakian league. Karalahti told that he acquired offers from Sweden, Slovakia and Austria. Karalahti will not join Bratislava before sorting out his personal things in Finland.
And there has also been problems with the registration of Jere's rights, and it's not sure if he's allowed to play in Bratislava at all. From what I've heard he needs some kind of special permission if he still wants to play this season.

Old
02-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Kekkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
Yeah. IANAL but I don't see how the court could convict him on the primary charge (drug trafficking). I'm not sure about the secondary charge; I'm not entirely clear on how closely involved you have to be to be guilty of being accessory to trafficking. If my memory serves, even that can get him a sentence of 2-3 years (which is long enough to actually land his ass in jail; suspended sentences can only be given to those who get less than 2 yrs).

Old
03-20-2008, 09:41 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

vCash: 738
No prison sentence this time. 20 months on probation.
http://newsroom.finland.fi/stt/showa...&group=General

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 09:45 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
No prison sentence this time. 20 months on probation.
http://newsroom.finland.fi/stt/showa...&group=General
Quote:
The indictment said Karalahti had financed the operations of an amphetamine gang July last year. Karalahti told the court he had merely paid back a drinking debt to a friend.
That must be one hell of an drinking debt if it was enough to bankroll a drug run ...

But on the other hand, I can imagine him running up quite a bill at the bar

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
That must be one hell of an drinking debt if it was enough to bankroll a drug run ...

But on the other hand, I can imagine him running up quite a bill at the bar
Well Jere never holds back his money when it comes to partying. He holds a sort of record of ordering white russians for his crew. He and his friends were in some pub and somebody told that actor Samuli Edelmann holds a record in restaurant Kaivohuone for ordering about 300-350 White Russians in one night. So Jere called the restaurant and ordered 500 and said we will be there in 2 hours. They took couple of taxis (so not a big crew) and went there. The restaurant didn't have enough glasses so they washed them while Jere and the crew drank them

Last edited by Finnpin: 03-20-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote