HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

GDT: Jan 4, 2004 - Oilers @ Chicago

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 05:06 PM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
Brewer is starting to look like a monster back there. What happened? What led to this?

Salo is able to shake off a horrible first period goal by doing what he did in the 3rd. For a 70+ starter, confidence is everything, and you can see he has it now.

Hemsky is looking lost outthere and turning the puck over TOO much...

And yes, Oates is not producing at all, but you can see all those little smart plays he does add up at the end. (Face-off wins, positioning, poke-checks)

Also, just noticed tommorow will be Ryan Smyth's 600th career game (Has it really been that long?)

Last edited by windowlicker: 01-04-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old
01-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Walsher

I agree. Hemsky has been pretty weak lately. Soft on the puck, bad turnovers, and terrible decision making. Sometimes he has to remember that he is playing against men and not boys and that dipsy doodles work every so often but definately not in your own zone. He needs to pick it up - right now he is hurting more than helping.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Brewer is starting to look like a monster back there. What happened? What led to this?

Salo is able to shake off a horrible first period goal by doing what he did in the 3rd. For a 70+ starter, confidence is everything, and you can see he has it now.

Hemsky is looking lost outthere and turning the puck over TOO much...

And yes, Oates is not producing at all, but you can see all those little smart plays he does add up at the end. (Face-off wins, positioning, poke-checks)
Hemsky looked absolutely terrible today IMO.. he had numerous chances to clear the puck out of the defensive zone throughout the game and failed to do so quite frequently. Brewer indeed looked like a beast again! I absolutely loved that shift where he broke into the offensive zone for the wraparound and then controlled the puck down low for a while.. he's really improved his play since Smith went down. Oates might not be getting points but he is doing a lot out there to help the team.. the Izzy/Oates/Smyth line looked great today on the cycle and Oates was definitely a part of this. I still think we need to wait till after the All Star break till we see him start to put a few more points up on the board..

Old
01-04-2004, 05:18 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i think i did say that in getting Oates it didn't matter if he didn't score 60points because he would be teaching the other players other things, like a coach playing with you on the ice, makes a big difference and well worth the money spent.

Would it be possible if Hemsky sits tommorow? The time that Brewer took off (coz of injury) seems to have done him wonders look at him now. Cross may start tommorow who knows hopefully he does coz the Devils will play physical and defensively, in fact a game that we would have been better matched if Smith, RPM and Cross were all playing. Hope Oilers can at least force OT and get the extra point tommorow

Old
01-04-2004, 05:37 PM
edmontonoilers89

Good game, and a strange one at that.

Some stinkers, a wierd goal by Moreau, 2 shorthanded goals in one pp, York fighting? wow.

All in all an OK effort. It's good to have a win but this is Chicago we're talking about also. They're not lighting it up either right now.

I thought Semenov and Ferguson played a really good game. Both were incredibly feisty when it came to clearing out the Hawks from the front of the net, and that's what we need.

Brewer is playing better and better, and Staios is playing great as always.

The forwards picked it up again today, but can't this team be motivated from the beginning of a game instead of when we're down?

All in all an exciting game.

We'll have some bigger tests starting tomorrow night. New Jersey is a long ways ahead of the Hawks.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:44 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
All in all an OK effort. It's good to have a win but this is Chicago we're talking about also. They're not lighting it up either right now.
I dunno about that... The Hawks have beaten 3 of the better teams (standings wise) in the Western Conference over the past week.

Definitely not the same team that went winless in 14 early in the year.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:53 PM
edmontonoilers89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I dunno about that... The Hawks have beaten 3 of the better teams (standings wise) in the Western Conference over the past week.

Definitely not the same team that went winless in 14 early in the year.
Well then, you just proved my laziness in not informing myself before I post. They played a feisty game today though. I thought it would be easy. But there aren'tvery many easy games in the NHL anymore.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:59 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
who did York fight and how'd he fair?

Old
01-04-2004, 06:03 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
who did York fight and how'd he fair?
York fought Robidas. Spirited fight but it's pretty clear to see that York isn't really very good at throwing them. I'd say he's on the losing end of that battle... though not a lot of punches landed.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:03 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89
Well then, you just proved my laziness in not informing myself before I post. They played a feisty game today though. I thought it would be easy. But there aren'tvery many easy games in the NHL anymore.
I guess it is pretty easy to see a team 8 games below .500 and make a generalization...

Hell, I was doing the same thing until I read on here how they had been playing, and read up on them a bit.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:06 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
cool, thanks for that info Momentai

Old
01-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Lowetide

The Hemsky situation has me a little worried to be honest. Ron Low put Miro Satan on the 3line and said something like "if he can't play on the checking line he can't play."

I'm not suggesting he get special treatment, but I'd rather see him on the 4line with Stoll and Chimera than with Horcoff and Moreau because those two are out there for tough minutes.

Thoughts?

Old
01-04-2004, 06:12 PM
momentai

Why not put Torres down on the third line with Moreau and Horcoff? Then Hemsky can be put onto a scoring line with York and Dvorak.

At least this would get Torres hitting again on a consistent basis.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Why not put Torres down on the third line with Moreau and Horcoff? Then Hemsky can be put onto a scoring line with York and Dvorak.

At least this would get Torres hitting again on a consistent basis.

That would be a better solution, you're right. Who goes to RW, Ethan?

Old
01-04-2004, 06:24 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
That would be a better solution, you're right. Who goes to RW, Ethan?
I suppose. Has Raffi ever played RW at any point in his career? Or even Ethan? If Raffi has never played RW, then it's probably better to let the veteran play offwing so it would leave Torres more comfortable in his role.

I'm sure Ethan could adapt.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:35 PM
Mizral

Reading this thread is just another emotional rollercoaster

Nice to see Moreau get the GWG, the hardest working Oiler most nights. York fighting too is hard to imagine. I'll have to check out the hilites on that one.

MacTavish probobly aged another 5 years though after being down 2 - 0 to the hawks. If he isn't already on the hot-seat, a loss to the Hawks would have really turned the heat up. A comeback win like this might indicate the players are trying to win for their coach again.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Mr Sakich

this off tsn:

The announced crowd was 10,101, but no more than 4,000 were in attendance. Chicago was hit with its first heavy snowfall of the season Sunday.

Old
01-04-2004, 08:10 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
this off tsn:

The announced crowd was 10,101, but no more than 4,000 were in attendance. Chicago was hit with its first heavy snowfall of the season Sunday.
That is sad. If Edmonton gets a heavy snowfall, there would still be 17,000 some odd people at the game. And fine, if snow was to blame for how many showed up, who is to blame for only selling 10,000 tickets?

Old
01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
Oilers Hockey

metallicat, I distinctly remember the huge blizzard we had here on Saturday when the Pens came to town (I was Christmas shopping at Toys'r'us so I remember it well) and Rexall was still sold out! For Pittsburgh!

In Edmonton, blizzards are no excuse, as we will still fill up our arena to 16,839.

Even worse was a scenario on Long Island where less than 3,500 showed up because of a "blizzard".

Wimps.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:29 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Comment on the winger situation:

If you can't play both wings almost nearly as good as each other, then what are you doing in the NHL?

Closed Thread