HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Brewer and Laraque

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Obsessed

vCash: 500
Brewer and Laraque

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,3960887.story

I have no idea if there is any truth to the rumor that Brewer and Laraque are on the way out of town. There has been alot of noise recentley though. My question is... Can Lowe be successful in any deal he makes moving the Oilers #1 PR player and #2 D-Man on the Oilers depth chart?? I dont think so.

Can we get a #1 Center in a package with these 2 players? Are we still dealing for the future?

Scary times to be a Oil fan thats for certain.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:48 AM
USC Trojans
Thank you, Ales.

Any chance we can package Brewer, Laraque, plus Philly's 1st for Lecavalier?

Of all the people, Vinny is the guy I'd want. Get him and we'd be set. Of course, it still leaves a huge hole in our blueline.

Old
01-04-2004, 06:52 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Any chance we can package Brewer, Laraque, plus Philly's 1st for Lecavalier?

Of all the people, Vinny is the guy I'd want. Get him and we'd be set. Of course, it still leaves a huge hole in our blueline.
There is no way I trade all 3 for Vinny. The guy has serious issues, he shows up when he wants too, and he is over paid for the consistency he provides.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Lowetide

Well he could certainly WIN a deal that sent away Brewer, Laraque and a pick, but he'd have to get Joe Thornton or Vincent back.

In a way, Lowe's own success has also been his downfall. When he arrived, he had a terrific top line (Weight, Smyth, Guerin) a fine 3line (Marchant, Moreau, Grier) and chaos on the 2 and 4 lines.

In his 3+ seasons, imo he's improved the overall depth of the roster, but the top 3 players (I'll pick York/Smyth/Hemsky) up front are not of the same quality for one reason or another.

Sooo, if he's going to make a trade, these two are pretty solid candidates because they have value to a lot of teams. There are places where BG would be very useful, and despite our concern over Brewer he's still 24 or 25 and is still on the upswing (or should be).

What could they get for Brewer, Laraque and the Flyer's 1st rounder?

Thornton? No, I don't think so. Vincent? Maybe, but if he's on the table there's likely to be a plethora of offers (in the Journal today, Matheson said the Leafs once offered Kaberle, Antropov and a first rounder) that are similar or better.

I guess if we made a list of possible impact forwards, like this:

Boston-Thornton (they're nuts to deal him)
Buffalo-Satan (too much $$$)
Carolina-O'Neill (here's one possibility)
Dallas-Arnott (not coming back)
Florida-Jokinen (they could sure use Brewer)
Florida-Weiss (I put him here because I like him alot)
Phoenix-Taffe (I like him alot too)
TBay-Lecavalier (ooooooooooooooo)

Did I miss anyone? Anyway, they aren't likely to get Thornton, Satan and Vincent. Arnott is also unlikely. O'Neill would be terrific, and he does play center (or at least has in the past) sometimes. Jokinen? I'd rather have Weiss. Taffe? Not for Brewer and BG.

So, for me it's O'Neill or Weiss.

And if we're trading Brewer there has to be a dman coming back too, in that deal or another deal.

Hmmmm. Might as well wait for the draft imo.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:55 AM
theoil

This team has too much invested in Brewer to trade him successfully at this point in his career. The pulled strings to get him to the Olympics? Georges, on the other hand, I can only cross my toes. I have been waiting for three years. And what is up with the in the line-up out of the line-up scenario where nobody is ever really sure if it is his hand or he has been sat.

Old
01-04-2004, 07:57 AM
Heimy

Is it true that Brewer has asked to be dealt? (I don't recall where I read this but I know I did)

Like lowtide, I suspect Jokinen could be dealt in order for Florida to aquire some quality help on the blueline. IMO Brewer and Jokinen have comparable value. Is there agreement on this here?

I also agree the holes each team would open would need to be filled quickly. Lilja or Trnka could be added in a deal but the Panthers would need a good faceoff man coming back. Who would that be?

Old
01-04-2004, 08:26 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
imo this club would be heading backwards if they dealt away Brewer. Why ? basically the Oilers have been investing into first round forwards, namely centres in the past two drafts so i wouldnt really want to trade in Jokinen for Brewer considering the fact that we are already at a logjam up front, imagine if Niinimaki or Poliout pan out the way they are supposed to, where does Mike York play? Meanwhile on defence you take away Eric Brewer from our "possible" future d-line and we're left with Bergeron, Woywitka, Lynch, Greene. If we are giving Brewer up then a blue liner like Bouwmeester has to return since we need a elite blue liner on our own blue line before we start trading them away.

In short at this moment in time trading Brewer is like the Bolts trading Vinny, it aint gonna happen unless something insanely stupid gets offered and even then there would be a pause and a thought.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:00 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

For me it all depends on what brewer could fetch, realistically a lot of teams are not going to give up young players going into a new cba. I hope that Laraque on the other hand is gone soon, I would be very interested to see what the teams in the East would give up for him.
Have you guys heard any rumors about what teams are interested in his services?

Old
01-04-2004, 09:30 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'm going to be hella mad if Brewer's moved for 2nd-rate offensive "help". (and that includes most of the sorts of names that are being pitched around in the trade proposals forum, including guys like Handzus, Nik Anthropoid, and no offense Heimy but Olli Jokinen as well.)

It has to be a center. And it has to be a quality offensive center 26 or under. And it has to be somebody with enough of a reputation that the fans who buy tickets to fill the Drug Den are going to recognize that we didn't deal a 24 year old Olympian and all-star for a nobody.

Take all that into account, and that leaves a pretty short list. Basically, if we can't slam together a package that can bring over Big Bird or Prince Vince, I don't want to move Brewer.

My theory: when the latest round of "Lecavalier wants out" rumours hit the press, Lowe called up Jay Feaster and asked if Vinny was available and if a package starting with Brewer would work. I bet that's the only "shopping" of Brewer that has occured.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:42 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

and the odds of getting a young guy under 26 with loads of potential are not very good. i never thought about that oge, i bet the rumor started when vinny was apparently getting shopped around.
if there is a trade it will involve laraque in a package possibly including smith if the odds of signing him are too high.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I'm going to be hella mad if Brewer's moved for 2nd-rate offensive "help". (and that includes most of the sorts of names that are being pitched around in the trade proposals forum, including guys like Handzus, Nik Anthropoid, and no offense Heimy but Olli Jokinen as well.)
This is the key right here. The Oilers got Brewer for a first or second D-man in Hamerlik. To trade Brewer and his "potential", they definately need a first line offensive player.

Anytime you thinking of trading a defenseman like Brewer, you run the risk that he wasn't given enough of a chance. Patience is key for defensemen like Brewer just like it was with Pronger and Jovonoski. I'm not saying Brewer will become these players but you never know.

Lowe better have a damn good deal if Brewer's to be traded, especially after not getting immediate help for Comrie like he said he would (I know I know, K.lo did well considering the circumstances).

Old
01-04-2004, 09:50 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
My theory: when the latest round of "Lecavalier wants out" rumours hit the press, Lowe called up Jay Feaster and asked if Vinny was available and if a package starting with Brewer would work. I bet that's the only "shopping" of Brewer that has occured.
I really hope so, because any different type of return will put this team just that much more behind the 8-ball. Also, there has not been anything conrete to the "Eric wants out of town" reports, such a differences of opinion with Mact or a problem with Lowe. Comrie did strike me as that type of player, Brew doesnt.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:53 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimy
Is it true that Brewer has asked to be dealt? (I don't recall where I read this but I know I did)
Not to my recollection. I have heard nothing like that here in Edmonton.

Old
01-04-2004, 09:57 AM
momentai

Dealing a dman like Brewer wouldn't be the smartest trade I could see Lowe making. In the past few years, Lowe has decimated our defensive blueline and traded, for the most part, to get forwards back. Now, I realize that financial concerns were an issue... but the fact remains that our blueline is still weak even with the addition of Woywitka.

We lose Brewer and the Oil have absolutely NO ONE on the roster or in our prospect pool that can turn into a #1 defender capable of handling 25 minutes a night. (And no, Staios probably can't handle those kind of minutes day in and day out. He gets tired and less effective as time progresses)

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:05 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Dealing a dman like Brewer wouldn't be the smartest trade I could see Lowe making. In the past few years, Lowe has decimated our defensive blueline and traded, for the most part, to get forwards back. Now, I realize that financial concerns were an issue... but the fact remains that our blueline is still weak even with the addition of Woywitka.

We lose Brewer and the Oil have absolutely NO ONE on the roster or in our prospect pool that can turn into a #1 defender capable of handling 25 minutes a night. (And no, Staios probably can't handle those kind of minutes day in and day out. He gets tired and less effective as time progresses)

It just doesn't make sense to me.
Unless of course Lowe is ready to make a huge splash. If indeed Brewer gets traded then Lowe would likely get a D-man back in another deal. Our defence is pretty weak with Brewer, imagine how weak it would be without Brewer and no one to replace him. So maybe Lowe trades Brewer and maybe something else for a legit scoring top line forward and then trades Laraque + Rita or something similar for a top 2 D-man.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Shizuka

Don't you guys think we should be getting a D-man in return, if we part ways with Brewer? Our core without Brewer (and assuming, which is a big leap to make) that we get a front line F in return, would look like this:

Staios Smith
Cross Luoma
Ferguson Semenov
extras/callups: Lynch/Bergeron

?? To me, those pairings do not look solid enough. Yeah, Brewer struggles alot at times but he brings in 400+ games of bonafide NHL experience, over the likes of Luoma, Semenov, Lynch or Bergeron. If we make the playoffs (another big leap of faith), and we need to handle the big bodies of say a Vancouver or bang the skill guys of a Colorado, I have a hard time believing Luoma or Lynch capable at this point of handling those guys.

The one reason I could see this happening is perhaps Brewer really is sick of the media attention and the criticism from fans. It isn't totally unwarranted but I can see how it would bug someone to the point of wanting to bail out. He is a young, physical, D-man with a good shot and excellent size and mobility. He can jump up in a rush when he's confident in his game. I agree wholeheartedly with oilers_guy_eddie that the return needs to be excellent, because of the lack of immediate return on the Comrie trade and the fact that our offense is now struggling. But how are you going to land an excellent offensive guy with just Laraque and Brewer...? You would have to severely overpay, I'd think.

*edit* Doh, the last response I saw before replying was Dr. Van Nostrin's. I have to agree with several posters above me, with regards to losing Brewer and not getting a D-man in return

Old
01-04-2004, 10:11 AM
momentai

Be aware you guys... that Smith could inevitably price himself out of Edmonton due to his aribitration award this upcoming offseason. Look at his stats... he's going to get at least 3.5 million. A little too rich for this Oiler club. So we could possibly be out both Smith and Brewer.

Not a pleasant situation at all.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:19 AM
t0mf00lery

I can hardly imagine a Brewer trade. K-Lo really loves this guy. I am much more leaning to a a Jason Smith trade. Ryan Smyth has looked good with the "C" and since Gator has been having this career year, he has good trade value.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
Be aware you guys... that Smith could inevitably price himself out of Edmonton due to his aribitration award this upcoming offseason. Look at his stats... he's going to get at least 3.5 million. A little too rich for this Oiler club. So we could possibly be out both Smith and Brewer.

Not a pleasant situation at all.

Well, I think the fall '05 backline is going to have Staios, Semenov, Woywitka, Lynch, Cross and probably Bergeron in the mix. After that, who knows?

Jason Smith and Eric Brewer are making a lot of dough, and Scott Ferguson will be coaching (probably the Oilers powerplay).

I don't have any problem with the Oilers dealing Brewer. They're going to miss the playoffs with him, right?

Another name I missed was Sergei Samsanov. Even though he's not physical (and he'd be in the top 6 with York and Hemsky), he's terrific when healthy.

Old
01-04-2004, 10:34 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Well, I think the fall '05 backline is going to have Staios, Semenov, Woywitka, Lynch, Cross and probably Bergeron in the mix. After that, who knows?

Jason Smith and Eric Brewer are making a lot of dough, and Scott Ferguson will be coaching (probably the Oilers powerplay).

I don't have any problem with the Oilers dealing Brewer. They're going to miss the playoffs with him, right?

Another name I missed was Sergei Samsanov. Even though he's not physical (and he'd be in the top 6 with York and Hemsky), he's terrific when healthy.
I used to really like Samsanov and always thought he would be great as an Oiler but he is injury prone. He's been out with injuries the last couple years and I don't think it's worth the risk to go after someone like that. Specially when the guys makes $3,650,000.00.

Last edited by oildrop: 01-04-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old
01-04-2004, 11:16 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
I used to really like Samsanov and always thought he would be great as an Oiler but he is injury prone. He's been out with injuries the last couple years and I don't think it's worth the risk to go after someone like that. Specially when the guys makes $3,650,000.00.

I don't know how injury-prone Samsonov is, aside from last year he's been pretty durable. Here are his games played stats:

2003-04 Boston NHL 31
2002-03 Boston NHL 8
2001-02 Boston NHL 74
2000-01 Boston NHL 82
1999-00 Boston NHL 77
1998-99 Boston NHL 79
1997-98 Boston NHL 81

Old
01-04-2004, 11:44 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I realize that Brewer makes quite a lot of money salary wise. However, the Oilers have no one in the AHL, NCAA, or overseas that have the potential of a #1 dman that can soak up minutes.

None of our players at the NHL level are able to soak up those minutes either. Brewer is a prime example earlier this year of a player struggling because he was pushed earlier than he should have with the loss of Niinimaa. Do we really want to get into a situation where we push Semenov, Lynch, and Woywitka as well?

This could all change if we draft a Cam Barker type in this year's draft.. but until then. The Oil are mighty weak in terms of first line dmen. And I am just concerned with how the domino effect will affect our other younger dmen on the team.

Old
01-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Oi'll say!

Just say no to a Brewer trade!

I sure hope that Brewer hasn't asked for a trade because that would be the only way I can see Lowe shopping him around at this point. If some gm's are actively pursuing Brewer then that's a different story - at least KLo is firmly in the driver's seat.

The most important thing imo is that it's a 1-for-1 swap though, none of this "one very good player for some ok ones and a draft pik" crap.

Aside from the guys mentioned above, could the Oil be looking at taking a chance on Dany Heatley?

Last I heard he was due to come back some time in the new year, and if there was ever a chance to get him in a deal it would be right now. MacT has a similar life experience to what DH is going through now too, so maybe there's a belief that MacT can help him out with his personal issues if he has any.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:16 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
All this Brewer for a forward talk makes absolutly ZERO sense!! It would hurt the team both now AND in the future. He has the potential to be an elite Dman in the NHL, we don't have any other blueliner besides MAYBE Semenov who could be a lesser version of Chara. We have depth coming out of our rear-ends up front. That is were most of our highly touted prospects are. I mean if we do a couple deals where we go out and get another Dman who is equal to Brewer after a Brewer for a forward trade, then ok. I'm a HUGE supporter of Lowe, I'd pretty much support ANY decision he makes even if I'm not crazy about it. BUT if he deals Brewer for a forward and doesn't go out and get a defenseman with other assets, then my support for Kevin will REALLY REALLY drop.

Old
01-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Meanashell11

Why is it that if we want a premier player we have to give up one of our top blueliners and a potential top 10 D-man when we sell our premier player and all we get back basically are future considerations. Obviously to get a top forward all you need to offer are a former 1st and next years 1st. If brewer is traded for anyone short of a Thorton then Lowe is smoking a bad batch and deserves to be fired. No way is Brewer leaving. We say we are building for post CBA then brewer is exactly what we want. End of story.

Closed Thread