HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How good can we be??

Old
08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
devilinto

vCash: 500
How good can we be??

Hey everyone long time Kings fan from toronto. I just got home and seen that Cammy was signed for 2 years at 6 million combined.

Now i am thinking. We have a solid team. And we still have some Cap room and alot of tradable assets. We need a goalie. DAmn. The Goalie can not be Raycroft.

I think with all the additions this team just made i think we are going to make the playoffs.
I am very excited to see how this team looks on the ice.

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 01:57 PM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

This team can, and I think will, make the playoffs. but we sure could do with a decent goalie....

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Johnny Utah

Goaltending.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Getting off to a good start, and hoping some of the other teams in the conference/division got a little weaker are the keys. This is a better team than last year, but last year there were people who refused (at the start) to believe the team sucked, when it was painfully obvious it did. This year the team doesn't suck, but it's painfully obvious there's a LOT more ground to make up than ever before. While Philly freefell 50 points in a single season, that was much more an abberration than what the Kings did on ice last year. I expect Philly to EASILY gain much of that ground this year, and should return to playoff form. If there's a team in the Kings conference that can lose 50 points in a single season, then things should look much brighter in LA. We know it's not going to be teams like ANA or DAL because they do have the goaltending that will hold them in games. SJS will in no way suck, and again, goaltending means that VAN and CGY will remain in the hunt for top seeding. I think MINN gets better, and on paper, both STL and CHI should get better as well. Knowing that the Kings are better, it's just a matter of how much better. My guess... black hole... but, my other guess is that Lombardi will do what he can to avoid that... which will either mean gutting the fish come midseason, or getting a goaltender that can carry the load into April... and hopefully beyond. If by December all the HF posts are "why the **** is Nagy on this team" and "what a POS Calder is..." and "Can't Handzus stay healthy for a week?" and "Oh my god, I can't watch Blake or Modry any more" ... well, then you better pray that the "Jack Johnson is a stud" and "Anze's goal last night" posts are enough to carry you to April, when you'll all be wondering why, once again, the post season lights are off at Staples.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Winger23

If the kings stay healthy, I see them finishing 7th or 8th and making the playoffs. I'm probably considered a homer, but I have a gut feeling Labs is going to shock many people this year and have a great year. It also help that the kings have a good set of defensemen (unlike the past few years).

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 08:39 PM
J in toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
If the kings stay healthy, I see them finishing 7th or 8th and making the playoffs. I'm probably considered a homer, but I have a gut feeling Labs is going to shock many people this year and have a great year. It also help that the kings have a good set of defensemen (unlike the past few years).
If Labs does have a great year, then they should look moretowards the top half of the western conference playoff teams. This is a big IF

J in toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
LuLuBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion* View Post
...If by December all the HF posts are "why the **** is Nagy on this team" and "what a POS Calder is..."
Sorry, there's only room for one POS on the team...Calder will have to acquire his own derisive nick-name when the inevitable time arrives.

LuLuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 11:49 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

if we happen upon consistent goaltending (whether it's from labarbera, our most likely candidate, an outside goaltender, or by some crazy miracle cloutier) we can make a run for as high as 2nd place in the pacific. this is not as outlandish as some may think.

barring freak injuries to key impact players (visnovsky, kopitar, cammalleri) this kings team can easily hold its own against slightly weakened sharks and ducks' squads and an extremely diminished dallas team.

this is also a kings' team that can possibly make waves in the playoffs. seeing how kids like getzlaf, perry, and penner exploded last playoffs, i can easily see the likes of kopitar, johnson, and cammalleri fitting right into the playoff mindset.

we also have some great shutdown players. handzus-brown-cammy visnovsky-stuart can hold off any all star line in the league, if they click.

there are a lot of ifs surrounding next season, but i think seeing the ducks hoist the cup has finally lit a fire under the kings' collective ass, and they're out to prove something. with one more key piece in place, next season could be the kings breakout year.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Mazokngstc

[QUOTE=kingswillwinthecup;10132287]if we happen upon consistent goaltending (whether it's from labarbera, our most likely candidate, an outside goaltender, or by some crazy miracle cloutier) we can make a run for as high as 2nd place in the pacific. this is not as outlandish as some may think.

barring freak injuries to key impact players (visnovsky, kopitar, cammalleri) this kings team can easily hold its own against slightly weakened sharks and ducks' squads and an extremely diminished dallas team. /QUOTE]

Disagree. This team isn't experienced enough to do better than split 8 games with the Sharks, Ducks, and Stars. Mid-range assumption is that they go 3/5 against Anaheim (losing both in the UK) and Dallas, 2/6 against the Sharks (who always seem to give us fits), and 5/3 against Phoenix, in 32 games they pick up 26 points. To make the playoffs (approximate 95 pts.), they'll need to WIN about 35 of their remaining 50 games, or play .700 hockey against EVERY other team in the league.

Offense isn't the problem, I just don't see that happening without another year of experience, practice, and teamwork for the defense and whoever's in goal. Strange to say, but the Pacific looks like the toughest division to in hockey for the time being, and the schedule doesn't help the Kings at all.

Mazokngstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:52 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
If this team doesn't get decent goaltending, we better start looking at top 5 pick possibilities. Which means us as fans need to look at every player rated to be picked in the first and second round.

When the goaltending falls apart, everything falls apart. And without some shoring up in the crease, everything's going to fall apart. A team can win games with little scoring, win games with not so great defense, but I've yet to see a team get in the playoffs and win multiple series with bad (read: what the team got last year from Burke, Cloutier and Garon) goaltending.

I'll say it, this team looks really good until you start looking at the guys in net. Anything is an upgrade, but anything is not good enough for this team to go where they need to. If the Kings add a guy like Raycroft (or Auld, Roloson, Halak, etc..) into the mix, I'd be surprised if that got them more than the 9th spot and the last lottery pick.

I love the forward additions and the players brought in to patrol the blueline, but they're just additions. Nothing assured to put this team in the postseason. It isn't results and can't be without more help.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:54 AM
yankeeking

Wouldn't Gerber be a upgrade,career .912 save% to get us through till quick and then bernier, if tvo leaves thats 2.5 towards his 3.7. Wouldn't seem to have to carry all of the load with him and labs spliting the time.I know this isn't what we want but if the swede doesn't step up right away ......no I won't go there you already know what happens then...

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 02:11 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
Wouldn't Gerber be a upgrade,career .912 save% to get us through till quick and then bernier, if tvo leaves thats 2.5 towards his 3.7. Wouldn't seem to have to carry all of the load with him and labs spliting the time.I know this isn't what we want but if the swede doesn't step up right away ......no I won't go there you already know what happens then...
Gerber was proven to be largely ineffective last year. At best we acquire a Cloutier like gamble. The Kings have some stopgaps in place with Labs and maybe a miracle return for Cloutier, I do not foresee DL acquiring another stopgap (YES THAT DOES MEAN RAYCROFT).

As it stands right now I see the Kings missing the playoffs. The Sharks and Ducks are simply too good, and Labs will not be able to carry the young team. They also have many more question marks than they are given credit for. Handzus is coming a serious knee injury (see McCauley, Alyn), Nagy has seemingly takent steps backwards the last few years, Calder is coming a horrible year, Brown has yet to prove he has the offensive tools neccassary, O'Sullivan is yet unproven as a scorer at the NHL level, Johnson is a raw rookie, Blake continues to slip and get slower, etc. They are much too many question marks for this to be a playoffs year. But I feel that these gys will compete night in, night out unlike last year which will lead to a better season. 08-09 will be the breakout year looking for playoffs.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 02:37 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

We can't talk playoffs until we see the stability of our goal tending.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 02:39 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

So much of this is speculation.

It is not just goaltending although that is the most important position on any hockey team for a reason. We have a lot of new faces. While talent is important, so is team chemistry. How quickly will the new faces start to instinctively play well with the ones from last season? Time will tell.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

13th in the conference.

08-08-2007, 03:04 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
13th in the conference.
Since you are so unequivocal, care to place a wager? You take 13th. I say they will not finish 13th. We can discuss the bet via PM if you wish and are interested. I am thinking tix or certain select bottles of alcohol (JW Blue Label comes to mind).

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Street Hawk

Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post
Hey everyone long time Kings fan from toronto. I just got home and seen that Cammy was signed for 2 years at 6 million combined.

Now i am thinking. We have a solid team. And we still have some Cap room and alot of tradable assets. We need a goalie. DAmn. The Goalie can not be Raycroft.

I think with all the additions this team just made i think we are going to make the playoffs.
I am very excited to see how this team looks on the ice.
Still too early to say if the Kings will make the playoffs.

As of the 1st week of August, 2007, I would say that there are only 2 teams in the West that I would put Money on to NOT make the playoffs. Those would be Columbus and Phoenix.

Columbus is not good enough defensively to make the playoffs, and they are trying to develop Leclaire as their #1 goalie. Also, they need to have Nash remain healthly, have Zherdev get his act together, and have one of the young kids like Brule, Brassard, etc. step up and give them something.

Phoenix does not have the goaltending to make the playoffs as of today. Duo of Tellqvist and Aebiescher does not scare any shooters. On paper have a solid blueline group, but they are really lacking in forwards.

In terms of who I would put money on to MAKE the playoffs, there are only 3 for sures. Anaheim, San Jose and Detroit.

Detroit, simply because they have been so solid for the past decade and a half. Central is also very weak with Nashville only spending to the cap floor and 3 teams trying to make the playoffs for the first time in a few years.

San Jose, too much talent on their roster. Their only issue is to add another solid blueliner before the playoffs.

Anaheim, even without Scott Niedermayer, they're good enough to make the playoffs, no problem.

The Likely group consists of Nashville, Vancouver, Calgary, Dallas, and Minnesota. Basically, the same group that made the playoffs last year.

Nashville, yes, they're lost some guys like Timmonen, Kariya, Forsberg, Vokoun, Hartnell. But, they have a boatload of young talent, especially on the blueline, and Mason can move into the #1 spot. Radulov gets more ice time with Kariya gone. Not going to compete for the division, but should contend for a playoff spot.

Vancouver and Dallas, blueline back is very good. Offense still lacking, but I'll take a team with great defense and weak offense over a team with great offense and weak defense when it comes to winning.

Calgary, with Kipper in net and Regehr/Phaneuf on the blueline and Iggy up front, hard to see them missing, unless somehow the dressing room explodes under Keenan.

Minnesota, have great speed up front. If Gaborik ever stays healthy and Bouchard picks it up, they could easily win the division. Blueline is practically nameless, but have a strong system. Goaltending should be good with Backstrom and Harding.

The Kings, along with the Blues, Blackhawks, Avalanche, Oilers are in the group of everything must go well. What is the key thing between these teams? With the exception of the Hawks and Oilers, they lack quality starting goaltending.

Kings, on paper have a pretty good defense with Blake, Vishnovsky, Stuart, Johnson and good young forwards in Kopitar, Frolov, Cammy, Brown, O'Sullivan, etc. But, in the end, a tandem of Cloutier and Labarbera have to play great all year round to make the playoffs.

Blues, similiar to the Kings, with very good blueline in Jackman, Backman, Brewer, McKee, Johnson, but have better goaltending in Legace, but lack offense, even with the addition of Kariya, since they don't have Guerin.

Avalance, added to a weak blueline core with Hannan and need Leopold to stay healthly. Have good forwards in Sakic, Smyth, Hejduk, Stasny, Svatos, Wolski. Again, goaltending of Budej and Theodore.

Chicago, have the best goalie of the bunch in Khabbi, but he needs to stay healthly. Young blueline and a lot of young forwards. I honestly, would probably put them closer to the NOT making it group. Just too young on the blueline and forward positions.

Oilers, I see Roloson as only a 50 game guy. He's getting a bit too old to be a 60 plus game starter. Very young all the way around. They really need to have a couple of young players step up big time, like either a Pouliot, Schremp, Torres, etc.

Anything can happen. I think Det, SJ, and Ana are best equipped to survive a loss of a key skater. Van, Cal, Nas, Min, Dal all can't afford to lose their top scorer for a prolonged period of time. Too much competition. If that happens, and everything goes right for the boarderline teams, then the Kings have a chance.

A lot has to go right for LA to make the playoffs. Mainly goaltending. LA is in a divison that returns 3 playoff teams, so that's 24 hard games. Need to do well in those to keep in the race, especially against the Stars.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Since you are so unequivocal, care to place a wager? You take 13th. I say they will not finish 13th. We can discuss the bet via PM if you wish and are interested. I am thinking tix or certain select bottles of alcohol (JW Blue Label comes to mind).

Haha. Great odds.

Edit. I'm going to move us up a spot to 12th. I kind of forgot about the Oilers.

15. Phoenix
14. Columbus
13. Edmonton
12. LA/Chicago
11. Chicago/LA
10. St.Louis
9. Nashville/Dallas
8. Dallas/Nashville
7. Calgary
6. Vancouver
5. San Jose
4. Colorado
3. Anaheim
2. Minnesota
1. Detroit

Last edited by Legionnaire: 08-09-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Kingswin

here is the thing.. The kings have definately gotten "better", even if just on paper. But have any other teams in our conference gotten any worse. Really. Things haven't changed that much. Phoenix still sucks. Dallas still has turco. Sharks are still going to pound the kings night after night. Its not that we have gotten better but no one really has gotten worse.

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Catcherman
Kings fan in MN

What about Manny Fernandez? What's his status with the Wild?

Catcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcherman View Post
What about Manny Fernandez? What's his status with the Wild?
He's now with the Bruins.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswin View Post
here is the thing.. The kings have definately gotten "better", even if just on paper. But have any other teams in our conference gotten any worse. Really. Things haven't changed that much. Phoenix still sucks. Dallas still has turco. Sharks are still going to pound the kings night after night. Its not that we have gotten better but no one really has gotten worse.
The difference is the kings have gotten "better" should be the difference in alot of those games where it was either tied or only down by one going into the 3rd period. A few more ties, few more wins and the kings can take 7th or 8th place. Beachball will not be playing the 1st 2 1/2 months either.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:28 PM
guzmania

One more factor in who might slip is injuries. One team a year per conference seems to be devastated. Might be a bottom four team from last year though.

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Catcherman
Kings fan in MN

Thanks. I missed that transaction.

Catcherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Awayboardn

Send a message via AIM to Awayboardn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
If this team doesn't get decent goaltending, we better start looking at top 5 pick possibilities. Which means us as fans need to look at every player rated to be picked in the first and second round.

When the goaltending falls apart, everything falls apart. And without some shoring up in the crease, everything's going to fall apart. A team can win games with little scoring, win games with not so great defense, but I've yet to see a team get in the playoffs and win multiple series with bad (read: what the team got last year from Burke, Cloutier and Garon) goaltending.

I'll say it, this team looks really good until you start looking at the guys in net. Anything is an upgrade, but anything is not good enough for this team to go where they need to. If the Kings add a guy like Raycroft (or Auld, Roloson, Halak, etc..) into the mix, I'd be surprised if that got them more than the 9th spot and the last lottery pick.

I love the forward additions and the players brought in to patrol the blueline, but they're just additions. Nothing assured to put this team in the postseason. It isn't results and can't be without more help.

Completely agree!

Awayboardn is offline   Reply With Quote