HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pitkanen Profile

Old
08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
theoil

vCash: 500
Pitkanen Profile

Hello, I am trying to get a better picture of what kind of dman we traded for since I don't get to see EC teams play that much. It would be much appreciated if some of you would take the time to 'score' Joni according to the chart below using the criteria below that.

Thanks again.

theoil

1. Skating (S).
2. Puck Carrying (PC).
3. First pass (FP).
4. Point Shot (PS).
5. Puck distribution (PD) in the offensive zone.
6. Toughness (T).
7. Shot Blocking(SB).
8. Positioning (P).
9. Thinks the game (TH).
10. Mental toughness (MT)

10 = once in a lifetime
9 = top 5%
8 = top 10%
7 = top 25%
6 = top 40%
5 = average
4 = below average
3 = journeyman skill
2 = AHL grade
1 = ECHL grade

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:54 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

1. Skating: 9, for his position
2. Puck Carrying: 8
3. First Pass: 7
4. Point Shot: 6.5
5. Puck Distribution: 8
6. Toughness: 3
7. Shot Blocking: 5
8. Positioning: Depends, if he gives a ****, 8. If he plays like last season, 2.
9. Thinking: Again, depends. 3.
10. Mental Toughness: 2

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hate View Post
1. Skating: 9, for his position
2. Puck Carrying: 8
3. First Pass: 7
4. Point Shot: 6.5
5. Puck Distribution: 8
6. Toughness: 3
7. Shot Blocking: 5
8. Positioning: Depends, if he gives a ****, 8. If he plays like last season, 2.
9. Thinking: Again, depends. 3.
10. Mental Toughness: 2
That's not fair to the AHL players. Some of those guys are the toughest mofos to call themselves hockey players today.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
That's not fair to the AHL players. Some of those guys are the toughest mofos to call themselves hockey players today.
He, he. You are right. I will change that 'comparison' the next time I use this. Thanks.

Old
08-07-2007, 05:15 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
Hello, I am trying to get a better picture of what kind of dman we traded for since I don't get to see EC teams play that much. It would be much appreciated if some of you would take the time to 'score' Joni according to the chart below using the criteria below that.

Thanks again.

theoil

1. Skating (S).
2. Puck Carrying (PC).
3. First pass (FP).
4. Point Shot (PS).
5. Puck distribution (PD) in the offensive zone.
6. Toughness (T).
7. Shot Blocking(SB).
8. Positioning (P).
9. Thinks the game (TH).
10. Mental toughness (MT)

10 = once in a lifetime
9 = top 5%
8 = top 10%
7 = top 25%
6 = top 40%
5 = average
4 = below average
3 = journeyman skill
2 = AHL grade
1 = ECHL grade
I'll rate him just against other dmen just to be fair:

1. Skating (S) : 8-8.5 (very good skater, can skate by many forwards and dmen)
2. Puck Carrying (PC): 8-8.5 (very good, will carry the puck end-to-end)
3. First pass (FP) : 7.5 (usually a solid 1st pass, doesn't make as many "blind" passes as in the past, often has to look up and is slow to see a play develope)
4. Point Shot (PS) : 7 (adequate but not great, a better setup man than scorer, no booming shot but usually close to the net for a deflection/rebound shot)
5. Puck distribution (PD) in the offensive zone : 7-7.5 (pretty good, would be better if he didn't let the puck hop over his stick on the blue line frequently)
6. Toughness (T) : 5 (can play physical but rarely does, usually comes out with him being chippy and taking a stupid slashing penalty)
7. Shot Blocking(SB) : 4.5 (maybe slightly below average, not his strong suit but he does do it, it's not like he flat out shys away from it)
8. Positioning (P) : 4.5 (this he deperately needs to work on, he SHOULD be better at it by now, he too often chases the play in his own zone)
9. Thinks the game (TH) : 4 (I haven't seen anything during his time here in Philly that indicated to me that he's a good mental player, he just seems lost or not there at times during the game)
10. Mental toughness (MT) : 4 (he doesn't seem to take critiscm well and Philly isn't THAT tough of a place to play, not like NY, if you're a blue clooar type who brings your lunch pale to work each day and work hard, we'll love you no matter what, Joni doesn't do this and when called on it by the team and media, he seemed to crumble and sulk)

Keep in mind that I have always been (and continue to be) one of Joni's biggest supporters. When many others (not necessarily on this board) were calling for his head, I was giving him my full support. The kid has great potential and awesome natural skill. However, if he doesn't soon begin to bring him mind into his game he'll most likely begin spiralling down hill to the realm of "could have beens" with the likes of Fallon and Daigle.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 05:38 PM
MojoJojo

1. Skating (S). -9
2. Puck Carrying (PC). -9
3. First pass (FP). -6
4. Point Shot (PS). -7
5. Puck distribution (PD) in the offensive zone. -8
6. Toughness (T). - 5
7. Shot Blocking(SB). -4
8. Positioning (P). -6
9. Thinks the game (TH). -5
10. Mental toughness (MT) -4

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Jester

Pitkanen has an extremely good wrist shot for a defenseman... and will score goals in this league, was just extremely snake-bit with the post last year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QPgxcCIvf...elated&search=

also note how far up ice he gets...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 05:53 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Pitkanen has an extremely good wrist shot for a defenseman... and will score goals in this league, was just extremely snake-bit with the post last year.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QPgxcCIvf...elated&search=

also note how far up ice he gets...

He's a MUCH MUCH better pp QB than most people in Philly gave hm credit for being. He will run the PP in Edm and will set Souray up for a ton of goals agains this year. Their PP should be among the best in the league with those 2 on the blue line, the only down side is that they may also give up the most shorties in the league this year too. On the PP, Pitkanen is almost impossible to take the puck away from. He moves along the blue line VERY VERY well with the puck, he's too hard to knock off the puck and he sees the ice plenty well enough that if the defense gets out of their box to try and pressure him he'll just hit the open player. He major downfall on the PP is the long pass back to him. he takes his eyes off the puck and looks for the next pass before he's got the puck on his stick. Consequently the puck often "hops" over his stick and out to center ice.

Old
08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Just something that I have noticed about him, if he does decide to skate the puck up, he almost always goes to the outside and cuts behind the net, then gets hit and the puck gets taken away from him, then the other team rushes back against his partner in an odd-man rush.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 06:13 PM
theoil

Thanks a lot everybody who took the time to do the list for me. It gives me a pretty good idea of what kind of dman we got. It is actually kind of funny because I did the same thing on the Canadiens board under Souray Profile and it looks like they are complete opposites in terms of strengths and weaknesses.

Old
08-07-2007, 06:20 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Thanks a lot everybody who took the time to do the list for me. It gives me a pretty good idea of what kind of dman we got. It is actually kind of funny because I did the same thing on the Canadiens board under Souray Profile and it looks like they are complete opposites in terms of strengths and weaknesses.
I think it's true that neither share the same strenghts but I think you'll find that both are a bit of a liability in their own zone. Neither is a shut-down type dman and honestly neither should be a top pairing dman at even strength, both will get you hurt more than they will help you. Pitkanen still has time to develope adequately enough defensively to become a top pairing dman but Souray most definitely should be a 2nd pairing guy. He cannot be strolled out there night-in, night-out against the other teams top forward line. He'll get embarrassed.

Old
08-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
not really, given that they're both offensive defenseman known to have defensive liabilities.

however, Pitkanen is a work in progress defensively... Souray is what he is.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 07:37 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
not really, given that they're both offensive defenseman known to have defensive liabilities.

however, Pitkanen is a work in progress defensively... Souray is what he is.
You are, of course, correct. I should have tempered my observation to note that. I was referring to Pitkanen being noted for his skating, puck distribution, lack of toughness and Souray having the booming shot and toughness but not very agile or fast etc. I am aware they both bring their shortcomings and that Souray is unlikely to improve over the course of his contract. If I have a complaint with Lowe it is that he always seems to build teams that are unbalanced.

Old
08-07-2007, 08:14 PM
flyersfan97

Oil, I know this may not be high on your list of on-ice priorities, but Joni is by far the best player in the NHL at picking his nose and eating it on national TV.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
McNasty

He actually has a pretty good shot, he just doesn't like to use it. Offensively he will be everything you are expecting, defensively he'll leave you saying what in gods name just happened. Hopefully for you guys he can rebound and play like he did in 06, he has the talent, but his head isn't on straight.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Gert B Frobe

he plays with a really short stick and holds it strangely - skates all bent over as a result

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I think it's true that neither share the same strenghts but I think you'll find that both are a bit of a liability in their own zone. Neither is a shut-down type dman and honestly neither should be a top pairing dman at even strength, both will get you hurt more than they will help you. Pitkanen still has time to develope adequately enough defensively to become a top pairing dman but Souray most definitely should be a 2nd pairing guy. He cannot be strolled out there night-in, night-out against the other teams top forward line. He'll get embarrassed.

Both Smith and Hatcher are a liabilty in the offensive zone. Neither of them are offensive defensemen and honestly neither should be playing a top pairing role.

I appreciate all who gave their scouting report on Pitkanen. Thanks.

Good luck with Lupul, I think his off season last year was almost predictable, I think he will have his best season yet this year.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:33 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
he plays with a really short stick and holds it strangely - skates all bent over as a result
Will have back problems when he's older, I promise you.

Might retire a little early due to them.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Lowetide

Can he play on right side D?

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Can he play on right side D?
No. He plays exclusively on the left side.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
Both Smith and Hatcher are a liabilty in the offensive zone.
Thier job is to keep pucks out of the net, anything they contribute offensively is a bonus.....

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
chromemaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
He's a MUCH MUCH better pp QB than most people in Philly gave hm credit for being. .

hes not bad, but if he screws up he rarely uses his speed to correct the odd man rush

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2007, 12:54 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Both Smith and Hatcher are a liabilty in the offensive zone. Neither of them are offensive defensemen and honestly neither should be playing a top pairing role.
A liability in the offensive zone? No, non-contributors. They'd have to be slashing their teammates and trying to block their shots to be liabilities. Hatcher won't be on the top pairing, and if Smith is he'll be with Timonen, who most certainly can contribute offensively.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 01:49 PM
VP and GM
Bill Says Hey Baby!

Is Joni a top shutdown D player??

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2007, 02:08 PM
SpikefromDusseldorf

Quote:

I appreciate all who gave their scouting report on Pitkanen. Thanks.

Good luck with Lupul, I think his off season last year was almost predictable, I think he will have his best season yet this year.
I disagree completely with the comment about Jason Smith. Jason is the consummate professional. He is a first pairing shutdown Dman and the Oilers would not have wanted to trade him. He played 22-24 minutes a game in the run to the SCF's and was our best defender. He would play 28- 30 minutes a game but he NEVER gets PP time and justifiably so. He does not handle the puck particularly well and that is why his pairing with Pronger was so effective.

He will NOT handle the puck well for you guys but he is very very tough, hits very effectively and blocks a ton of shots and players HATE to play against him. He always led the Oilers in fights on the road a

If he is not in your top pairing you have an exceptional D.

SpikefromDusseldorf is offline   Reply With Quote