HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey looking for experienced centerman

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 06:36 AM
Mike The Wall

vCash: 500
Gainey looking for experienced centerman

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chronique...N3FF712A1.html

Old
01-05-2004, 06:43 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
is there an english version of this artical?
or how can i translate it please if anyone can help

Old
01-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Stephan Lebeau

wow, this is news to me!

j/k

Last edited by Stephan Lebeau: 01-05-2004 at 07:01 AM.
Old
01-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Gainey is probably trying to find a defensive center to replace Juneau because we all know that trying to find an offensive center for the second line is impossible to do without sacrificing the future and I don't see Gainey doing that if he has an ounce of wisdom.

I think that Juneau is seeing that one coming since he is playing like a guy trying to keep his spot since the middle of the season. He is probably the guy who's job is the most fragile in Montreal besides Kilger since he only got his spot back on the third line because Begin got injured.

So therefore which right-handed defensive center with experience is available (besides the obvious Peca) ?

Old
01-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Gainey RULZ

Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
List of RH center
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=40301

An other thread about this
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=40637

Old
01-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Stephan Lebeau

my wishlist:

1)Robert Lang - oh how sweet it would be!!!
2)Bobby Holik

Imagine the top 2 lines of :

Bulis Lang/Holik Zednik

Ryder Koivu Ward

Old
01-05-2004, 07:10 AM
Mike8

I have to wonder if this means Plekanec is seen as expendable. Given the positive comments Gainey's had for Ribeiro this season, Begin solidifying himself as the fourth line center, and Koivu a stalwart for the top line pivot position, this leaves two centermen out in the cold: Juneau and Plekanec.

With Juneau being replaced by Begin and Koivu on the third line for bits here and there this season and the line not missing a beat (in fact, being better off with those two), and also being bumped to the fourth line when Perreault, Koivu and Ribeiro were all in the lineup, one has to wonder how long he has left with the Habs. I'd wager no longer than his current contract stands for.

I don't like the thought of Plekanec being showcased right now, and that unfortunately seems like a viable possibility.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:13 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
I have to wonder if this means Plekanec is seen as expendable. Given the positive comments Gainey's had for Ribeiro this season, Begin solidifying himself as the fourth line center, and Koivu a stalwart for the top line pivot position, this leaves two centermen out in the cold: Juneau and Plekanec.

With Juneau being replaced by Begin and Koivu on the third line for bits here and there this season and the line not missing a beat (in fact, being better off with those two), and also being bumped to the fourth line when Perreault, Koivu and Ribeiro were all in the lineup, one has to wonder how long he has left with the Habs. I'd wager no longer than his current contract stands for.

I don't like the thought of Plekanec being showcased right now, and that unfortunately seems like a viable possibility.
I think it is obvious that Gainey is trying to find a solution for this year only. Gainey must see Plekanec as a solution in two years (there will be a long lockout next season) since the habs have a history of not rushing their prospects. You have to be 23 and over to find a regular spot on the habs. It's just the habs philosophy.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:14 AM
arsobro

I think that Gainey is looking for a Stu Barnes or Ian Laperriere. This kind of right centerman would be an upgrade of Juneau. Juneau and Bégin, when he will be back, can play left winger. I like the way BG is building. He takes the time to make an appropriate evaluation of the team.

Go habs go!!!

Old
01-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Habs4ever

Most importanly BG won't go for hot player like Lang!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsobro
I think that Gainey is looking for a Stu Barnes or Ian Laperriere. This kind of right centerman would be an upgrade of Juneau. Juneau and Bégin, when he will be back, can play left winger. I like the way BG is building. He takes the time to make an appropriate evaluation of the team.

Go habs go!!!

Considering he makes $5 M and a big risk if he doesn't produce here, this is his maybe his first big season point wise and he is old why give up prospects and bring in someone like Jagr iin lang, if you rememer correctly Jagr was leading the league in scoring for four straight years before getting traded to Caps, so getting lang wouldn't help us at all it creates more problems, as lockout nears for next year BG will go for failing player who can have better success here, and knowing BG has great hockey knowledge he'll find someone without paying too much.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Bob Bastards

Question. A lot of people seem to be looking for a replacement to Joe Juneau, but what about a replacement for Koivu on the first line? Before hitting the reply button let me explain myself OK. I don't want to trade Koivu but what about moving him on the checking line with Dack and Sunstrom? CJ try it agains the Trasher and I find it pretty effective. In this game the first line was also effective, even with Perrault at center. So if you move Koivu on the checking line, an healty Begin on the fourth and Rib on the second as usual Bob can certainly find us a big monster to fit the first line duty. Lets forget the 90pts center, but more the 60pts man. A guy between 6' and 6'5", over 210lbs and in the weater conferrence.

Jason Arnott
TREVOR LINDEN
Jan Hrdina
Sergei Zholtok
Jozef Stumpel
Craig Conroy
JARRET STOLL

I think we can safely remove Trevor Linden and Zholtok from the list.
Any thoughts?

Old
01-05-2004, 07:52 AM
Subban Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
Question. A lot of people seem to be looking for a replacement to Joe Juneau, but what about a replacement for Koivu on the first line? Before hitting the reply button let me explain myself OK. I don't want to trade Koivu but what about moving him on the checking line with Dack and Sunstrom? CJ try it agains the Trasher and I find it pretty effective. In this game the first line was also effective, even with Perrault at center. So if you move Koivu on the checking line, an healty Begin on the fourth and Rib on the second as usual Bob can certainly find us a big monster to fit the first line duty. Lets forget the 90pts center, but more the 60pts man. A guy between 6' and 6'5", over 210lbs and in the weater conferrence.

Jason Arnott
TREVOR LINDEN
Jan Hrdina
Sergei Zholtok
Jozef Stumpel
Craig Conroy
JARRET STOLL

I think we can safely remove Trevor Linden and Zholtok from the list.
Any thoughts?
I would like to see Arnott in Habs uniform...Could he play on wing with Ribeiro and Zednik? Would it be better for him to play center???Could Ribeiro play as a winger?

Old
01-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
sigh..I keep repeating myself but didn't BG say that he could plug some holes on the team and he used the lack of a right handed center as merely an example in that interview? It's not like he said ''I WANT a right handed center''

I am pretty sure he never said 2 veterans as well. Pedneault is jumping the gun because he loves trades.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Marchy79

I'd love for the chance to pick up Arnott...

He'd be my ideal choice for a second line center. He's got size AND that Right hand shot that Gainey is looking for.

I also do realize that Pednault is jumping the gun, but it is an interesting topic no doubt about it.

How much more time does Arnott have on his contract would be an interesting topic, as he's very close to being UFA, and I would like a fer shure permanent trade, I know Ribeiro would get the short end of the stick, but Arnott would be a better fit for our squad right now than Ribs.

Old
01-05-2004, 08:57 AM
Habber

Typical Pedneault crap, as Marc said. Funny how the story is full of BG quotes, but none are about BG going after a vet RH centre. Just inferences by Pedneault, IMO.

What I thought what was interesting about the story was the way BG talked about how it sounds like his evaluation period is over and he’s making the transition into starting to tool the team to his liking. Evident by the release of Audette and the impending demotion of Kilger. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some moves by BG in the near future, but I think he’s going to get the best players he can and not confine himself to a right handed centreman.

Old
01-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
I'd love for the chance to pick up Arnott...

He'd be my ideal choice for a second line center. He's got size AND that Right hand shot that Gainey is looking for.

I also do realize that Pednault is jumping the gun, but it is an interesting topic no doubt about it.

How much more time does Arnott have on his contract would be an interesting topic, as he's very close to being UFA, and I would like a fer shure permanent trade, I know Ribeiro would get the short end of the stick, but Arnott would be a better fit for our squad right now than Ribs.
Also, Arnott's shot is a cannon. He'd be a huge upgrade over Ribeiro but I don't see why Dallas would get rid of him. They're lineup is full of big guys and PF's, what makes you think they'd want any of our current or future players?

Old
01-05-2004, 10:00 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Also, Arnott's shot is a cannon. He'd be a huge upgrade over Ribeiro but I don't see why Dallas would get rid of him. They're lineup is full of big guys and PF's, what makes you think they'd want any of our current or future players?
Im not saying for sure they would want any of our guys... But perhaps they want a change, as they are struggling this year...

Also, their owner has wanted to lower his payroll for a few years now... Perhaps a salary dump They do have 3 accomplished centermen in Modano, Turgeon, and Arnott... Perhaps they want to give Turgeon more ice time that he desperately needs in order to produce. I guess there is no clear cut answers, only my suspicions...

I just would love a guy like Arnott on the roster if he is available

Old
01-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1
Im not saying for sure they would want any of our guys... But perhaps they want a change, as they are struggling this year...

Also, their owner has wanted to lower his payroll for a few years now... Perhaps a salary dump They do have 3 accomplished centermen in Modano, Turgeon, and Arnott... Perhaps they want to give Turgeon more ice time that he desperately needs in order to produce. I guess there is no clear cut answers, only my suspicions...

I just would love a guy like Arnott on the roster if he is available
Agree that Arnott would be a great addition. Dallas is in termoil and you never know what could happenned. And if anyone could pull something like this off it would be BG. I'm not sure what it would take to get him though.

Btw, haven't the Stars converted Turgeon to a winger full-time now? I thought they've given up him playing centre anymore.

Old
01-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Gainey RULZ

Send a message via MSN to Gainey RULZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
sigh..I keep repeating myself but didn't BG say that he could plug some holes on the team and he used the lack of a right handed center as merely an example in that interview? It's not like he said ''I WANT a right handed center''

I am pretty sure he never said 2 veterans as well. Pedneault is jumping the gun because he loves trades.
From Radio-Canada.ca Sports (in french) http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...ienLundi.shtml
Quote:
C'est sans doute pourquoi Gainey ne se gêne pas pour dire que s'il a la possibilité d'embaucher un joueur capable d'aider l'équipe immédiatement et ce, dans les limites d'un budget serré, il le fera. «C'est mon travail de combler les lacunes. Un joueur de centre droitier est un exemple de petites choses qui peuvent faire la différence. Mais pas question ici d'un joueur à 10 millions par année.»

Closed Thread